Perhaps Love

Neon

 

 

Lisa and Miyeon were friends but that’s all they’re going to be. Though the two are together almost all throughout their lives, the truth is they never really got along. They  never have late night talks on the phone or hangout by themselves. If it wasn’t for Chaeyoung, the two would remain strangers.
So, when Chaeyoung went to answer her parents’ phonecall, the two were left in awkward silence. And Miyeon got to the point where she wanted to scratch Lisa’s judgmental eyes off.

“What? Lisa? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Why are you doing this, Miyeon?”

“Doing what?”

“Going out with Jennie unnie when you perfectly know how much she means to Chaeyoung.”

Miyeon sits back, unsure of the new Lisa that was right in front of her.

“Geez Lisa, Would you relax? It’s just a stupid high school crush, she got over it.”

“No Miyeon, you’re wrong. You saw the way she reacted when you told her you’re hanging out with unnie. Chaeyoung never got over it. What do you think is the reason why Chaeyoung rejected every admirer she had in high school? Or why she chose to go to this university? It’s not coincidence, Miyeon. Deep down inside, Chaeyoung still wish that she and Jennie unnie would be together.”

“Gosh Lisa! Wake up from your damn fairy tale. Do you think they would make it if they ever got together in high school?”

Miyeon got closer in Lisa’s face but strangely, Lisa remains in her stand.

“They wouldn’t Lisa, Chaeyoung is way too good for Jennie. No one would want Park Chaeyoung, the school Goddess to just be with a nobody like Jennie. And people would do everything to tear them apart. I did my bestfriend a favor, save them all the pain and hurt that everyone is going to throw their way.”

Lisa could only shake her head in response.

“What’s so funny?”

“Here I was thinking that you know Chaeyoung wellI guess you don’t. Cause since when did Park Chaeyoung ever let other people unfazed her?”

This time it was Lisa who took an intimidating steptowards Miyeon.

“You broke Chaeyoung’s heart once. But it won’t happen again. I won’t let you break my bestfriend’s heart again.”

Miyeon never knew that meek Lisa have it in her.

“Sorry bout that, Did I miss anything?”

The two girls sat back on their chairs, tension brewing between them.

“No, just Lisa’s typical uptight self.”

Chaeyoung just chuckles and joins the two.
“So, where were we?”

*

“Wow… Seulgi.” Wendy’s brows bobbed in amazement. “When you mention going to grab lunch, I didn’t know you will bring me to La Madeleine.”

“Of course, only the best for you, Wendy-yah.”

“Isn’t it like too pricey in here?” Wendy whispers. 

“Pricey?” Seulgi snorts “Of course not” It’s worth half of my tuition fee but who’s counting?

What the?

These two stumbling dorks that coming towards them seems familiar… too familiar.

“Jisoo? Joy?”

“Seulgi! You little player you!!!”

WTH…

“OMO! even the chairs feel so different here, feel it Joy.”

“Oh Gosh! you are right Jisoo. it’s like sitting on a cloud.”

Jisoo scoffs “Oh,  you sat on a cloud before?”

“It’s an idiotic expression.” Joy growls

“You mean IDIOMATIC expression?” Seulgi corrects her. 

“Ummm… what are you two doing here?” Seulgi tries to sound as polite as she could. 

“Well, we were walking around when we spot you going inside this place and I was like, Seulgi wouldn’t go spend her whole month’s allowance on one meal and Joy was like yup, Seulgi is a cheap@ss, so we came in to make sure and
who did we see? our buddy Seulgi splurging like a player.”

Seulgi growls at the two. 

“Well, I’m so glad you two could join us” Wendy smiles sweetly. 

How could someone’s smile just make all her anger go away? A balding waiter with a fake French tip mustache narrows his eyes at the sight of the rambunctious group.

“Allo…”

The dorks almost burst out in laughter at the sound of his fake French accent. 

“I’m your waiter Jacques, our special is grilled Halibut with coconut curry sauce and grilled cherry tomato chutney.”

Joy raise her brow before nodding knowingly. She
slowly leans over Seulgi and whispers,”What the hell is a halibut?”

“It’s a kind of fish.”

“Geez… what’s wrong with these rich people? Making things complicated, why can’t they just call it a fish?”

Seulgi answers with a groan. This is going to be the worst date, if she could call it that ever.

"So, what can I get you ladies to drink?”

“Ice tea please.” Wendy says politely. 

Seulgi eyes widen at the price of the drinks. She gulps at the price of the drinks. The waiter rolls his eyes at her reaction.

“Our water comes from springs of the Fuji Mountains.” He says in an almost degrading tone.

Seulgi glares back at the waiter. Unless the water could give her super powers she is not going to pay this ridiculous price for a bland drink.

“Water from the faucet is good enough for me and these two,thanks.”

The waiter huffs before going away. 

“Dude! How come Wendy gets ice tea and we get water?”

“Not just water, tap water” Joy huffs angrily. 

“Joy, let me tell you something,” Seulgi looks like she is ready to school the girl about life. “When you are in the middle of the desert, dying of thirst, is it really going to matter if you drink water from the springs of Fuji? No, unless that water will magically transport me back home, I don’t care if I drink water from the faucet… water is water.”

 “Cheap .” she mutters to herself

 

*

 

Chaeyoung did everything to get herself distracted that afternoon. She tries to take a nap but she dreamt of Jennie Kim, she tries to listen to music but it reminded her of Jennie Kim, she watches a BlackPink music video but one of the girls look like Jennie Kim.

“You ok, Chaeng?”
Chaeyoung got out of her sad state and groans.

“I don’t know, Lisa. I think I’m coming down with something.” she sighs heavily. 

“Oh ok. it has nothing to do with Miyeon going out with Jennie unnie, right?”

Chaeyoung groans underneath her blanket, Lisa pulls the blanket away and Chaeyoung groans louder, curling herself into a ball.

“Leave me alone, Lisa.” Chaeyoung groans in defeat.

“So, what are you going to do about it, Chaeng-ah?”

Chaeyoung looks surprisingly at Lisa.

“Are you just going to let somebody take what was rightfully yours?”

*

WTF? Why on Earth are these two eating like it’s a freaking buffet?

“This Halibut is amajing.”

“One more, JAX!!!”

The French waiter groans and walks away.

“I got to go… pee.”

The three just ignores Seulgi rushing into the bathroom.

*
Inside the cubicle…

“You got to be kidding me!”

Isn’t it funny how everything seems to be inside your bag except the one thing you needed? Pen.lip gloss. Receipts. Bubble gum. Candy wrappers. Tissue paper. Comb.

But where the hell is my credit card?

*
“What do you mean you can’t find it?!” Seulgi practically screams at Yeri on the other line.

“I can’t find it.” Yeri says back, not really giving an effort of finding Seulgi’s wallet in their dorm room as she was busy playing her DSi while munching on chips.

Seulgi growls to no avail.  “Well, can you just come here and let me borrow some money?”

“Oh hell no. we have been bestfriends since we're 5 but you never for once even buy me anything. Serves you right for bringing Wendy to a restaurant where you couldn’t afford. ”

GRRRRRR…

Seulgi presses the end call button so hard, her screen almost broke.
God… Can you hear me? it’s me Kang Seulgi. 

“It’s amazing really…”
Seulgi’s ears perked up to the sound of the voice, that familiar voice, and wait…

Seulgi sneaks closer and sees Irene laughing and having a great time with a tall, dastardly handsome guy.

“Hmmp… I didn’t even know Hyunnie knows how to laugh…Wait… Taehyung? I thought he’s with Chaeyoung?”

Seulgi peeks in from the plants.that Taehyung just goes through girls like a freaking grocery list.

“Excusez moi…”

“Oh what?” Seulgi turns around and see waiter with horrible French accent glaring at her. It must look bad that she’s on the floor, watching Hyunnie and Taehyung through the plants.

“Is there a problem, miss?”

“What? Why would you think that?” Seulgi laughs awkwardly and the waiter scoffs arrogantly. He was about to walk away from the silly midget, when Seulgi speaks up. “Ummm… I have a question, like somebody asks, but it’s totally not me by the way… hehe… This person, who is not me was just
wondering like what would happen if someone can’t pay the bill? What do you guys usually do?”

“Well, tell that SOMEBODY who is NOT YOU that we call the cops and LOCK THEM UP until they pay up.”
Seulgi gulps.  “Can you just let me, I mean that person wash dishes or something?”

*

Taehyung thought he and Irene were having a great time, when out of nowhere, Irene just suddenly huffs out a frustrated groan.

“You ok, Irene?”

“Do you ever get that feeling, Tae? Where you promise yourself that you won’t care anymore? But the moment you see them in deep sh!t, you still jump in to save them, even if you know that there is no chance in hell you’ll ever get something in return?”

Taehyung thinks before shaking his head. “No. not really.”

Irene scoffs.”You’re lucky, Cause it’s a y feeling. ”

*

Miyeon have never felt so proud as she was right now. She knew she was pretty but Jennie is simply stunning, everyone who walks pass their table would always cast a look of envy at her.

“I can’t believe how much you change, Unnie.”

“People change, Miyeon.”

“How about what people feel? Do feelings change too?”

Jennie watches Miyeon quietly before shrugging and going back to the menu.

“It’s up to the person, they could choose to move on or stay and keep on hurting themselves.”

“How about you?”

Jennie smiles “Nothing change. I still love her and I’ll always will.”

“Chaeyoung and you are so alike.“

“Chaeyoung?”

“Yeah, how you said that your feelings for Chaeyoung stayed the same?”

“Yeah… what about it?”

“Chaeyoung’s feelings for you stayed the same too.”

Miyeon says each word carefully, making sure that Jennie completely understands what she was talking about.

“You’re always going to be dumbJen to her. ”

Jennie looks back at her, the pained look in Jennie’s eyes remains the same as it was 4 years ago.

“She was like this school must have no standard for letting someone as dumb as you in.”

Jennie chuckles, surprising Miyeon.

“Yeah. Here I am still crazy in love with the only person who keeps on breaking my heart. And I’ll love your bestfriend forever, Miyeon, even if she never loves me back, even if she gets married and have kids, I’ll still love her. So, yeah, I guess Chaeyoung is right… I am dumb. ”

Miyeon leans back on her chair. 

“Yup. you are dumb.”

“HANDS OFF MY WOMAN!!!! YOU  FREAK!!!”

Jennie and Miyeon jumps up as they saw a very angry Yoojung. 

Yoojung roll her eyes. “Oh Gosh, that psycho bish go to this school too?”

“Yoojung, relax. I’m just talking to her.”

“Jennie. why do you do this?! Don’t you love me anymore?”

I never really love you Jennie wanted to say but she wouldn’t want to add fuel to Yoojung’s wild fire.

“How about if I do that dance you love so much?” Yoojung pouts cutely. 

“What now?”
Jennie’s cute eyes only widen for two things, when Chaeyoung is around and when people shake their butts.

Bo peep. Bo peep. Bo peep. Bo peep.

Jennie’s eyes almost pop out of their sockets as she watches Yoojung shake her bottom in front of her. Jennie always wonders why she went out with Yoojung now she knows why. 

Miyeon grits her teeth angrily as Jennie’s full attention was diverted in that crazy girl’s .

“What the?!”
Yoojung stumbles as Miyeon shoves her out of the way and starts dancing in front of Jennie.

La.la.la.la.la.la.la

How could somebody so skinny have that much in them?

“Oh my God. Seulgi would be so jealous of me right now.” ByunJen chuckles happily. 

Where the hell is that girl anyway?

*
Meanwhile…

At a very expensive restaurant that Seulgi could never afford. The poor girl’s hand trembles as if a bomb is about to explode the moment she opens the bill.

Those almond eyes widened at the price. 

“What the?”

0.82 cents

“Oh!hey, hey. ”

Seulgi tries to flag down the waiter who seems pretty determined to ignore the knuckleheads. 

“I think this is a mistake. ”

The waiter raises his waxed brows.

“It’s 82 cents? What are you complaining about?”

“Our table ordered every meal in this place. How could it be just 82 cents?”

The waiter snorts…

“Just be thankful that someone doesn’t want you to be locked up.”

*
Soon, every person in Blackvelvet café was enjoying the dance battle between the two hotties.

joha i bunwigiga joha
joha nan jigeum nega joha
jeongmal banhaesseo oneul bam
neowa chumchugo sipeo

Everyone turns to the stage at the sight of the most gorgeous thing that ever walk this Earth. Jennie shoves the two bickering girls in front of her and went up front the stage, drooling along
with everyone in that café as Chaeyoung in those heavenly shorts sings Boombayah.

People could be divided into three categories, s . and Legs. Jennie have always been a girl; but the sight of those long legs that seems to go on forever made Jennie quickly convert into a legs girl.

Miyeon’s face scrunches in confusion as she watches Jennie just simply slip away from her the moment Chaeyoung appears. But she should be used to it, people have been doing that since high
school. Miyeon or anyone for that matter doesn’t exist the moment Park Chaeyoung walks in.

She could still remember Yuqi’s rejection letter to her.

Sorry Miyeon, I just hangout with you to get close to Chaeyoung.

Miyeon could just laugh at her pathetic past and looks at Jennie just staring madly at Chaeyoung.

“Well, at least one of us gets a happy ending. Chaeyoung?”

Chaeyoung looks straight into Miyeon's eyes and for once Miyeon shuddered as Chaeyoung takes a step closer and whispers.

"Take every girl or guy in this world, but Jennie Kim belongs to me."

*

Chaeyoung and  Jennie finally manage to sneak out of the café and walk quietly back to their dorm. When they were nearing the lover’s bridge, Jennie stops…

“You know the difference between real life and movies?”

Jennie comes up with the most random topics.

“Movies have happy endings?”

“Well… that and movies have background music.”

Jennie takes out her Iphone and Chaeyoung looks surprisingly as music starts playing and Jennie place her Iphone on the railing.

“Oh gosh… you’re corny.”

“What? I like princess hours…” Jennie frowns cutely but quickly smiles when she sees the mischievous smile playing in Chaeyoung’s lips. “I like to think that even if I’m an ordinary girl, I could get my fairy tale ending too…”

Jennie smiles sweetly and from that moment on, Chaeyoung realizes that she would do anything to make Jennie’s happy ending come true.

eonjeyeossdeon geonji, gieoknajin manha
jakkoo nae meoriga, neoro eojireopdeon sijak

Chaeng clapping laughter echoes as she listens to Jennie sings. The girl wasn’t a bad singer, in fact her voice actually sound quite pleasing.

Jennie intertwines her fingers with Chaeyoung’s and pulls the girl closer to her for a close embrace.

“We're in public.”

Chaeyoung should have been more assertive when she said that. She should really fight it but instead she let her heart win this time.

And under the stars, the two silently confess their feelings for each other.

“Chaeyoung?”

Chaeyoung smiles as Jennie’s breath tickles her neck.

“Mmmm?”

Jennie coaxed Chaeyoung to look at her. Chaeyoung could see it in Jennie’s eyes what she wanted to happen and truth is, Chaeyoung wanted it too. Her first kiss with her first and only love.

Chaeyoung’s heart was about to burst out her chest with how hard it was beating, she didn’t know Jennie’s heart was beating like crazy too. Jennie had kissed many girls but here was the one she has dreamed of kissing since she was 14. But it wasn’t a dream now, Jennie could finally kiss her dream girl, how many people can say that? That they get to kiss their dream girl?

Chaeyoung closes her eyes as Jennie leans closer, When…

What the?

“MY IIIIIIPHOOOONNNNEEEE!!!!”
And Jennie watches in horror as her Iphone took a plunge into the deep, cold manmade river.

“You really knew how to kill the mood, huh, Jennie Kim?”