The First Kiss

Neon

 

 

Chaeyoung silently prayed for weeks to give her the strength not to strangle the annoying girl. Jennie had just went berserk with her flirting, every word that comes out of is either a one liner or something erted.

Math class was beginning to be torturous. She turns around when she feels something beside her and what does she see? but the girl with her lips inches away from her face.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m going to kiss you.”

Chaeyoung grits her teeth and Jennie’s eyes widen in anticipation ready for Chaeyoung’s outburst, but again Chaeyoung caught herself and groans angrily.

“Hmmmp” Jennie pouts, disappointed that Chaeyoung was able to hold herself. The girl was much more determined than Jennie thought…

“Park Chaeyoung?” the deadpan voice of their math teacher can lull anyone to sleep.

“Here.” Chaeyoung raises her hand unaware of the terrible fate that is going to happen to her.

“Park Jennie?”

Nothing but red. Chaeyoung couldn’t see any color but red as her anger rise up to her head and is about to burst out of her body.

“Here” the idiot raises her hand happily before smiling mischievously at the furious girl. “I hope you like that I took your name, my seobang.”

Jennie winks playfully at her.

“THAT’S IT!!!! I’m going to hurt you, Jennie Kim!”

“JOY!” Jennie stands up and starts dancing victoriously as the other girl finally lost. “You heard her, she’s going to hurt me… I win… I win…”

“Kiss my a**” Chaeyoung cursed before slumping back on her chair.

“Ooohhh… my seobang is such a dirty girl… I like it…”

Joy groans and shakes her head.

“Here we go again.”

Their teacher knows better than to meddle at Jennie Kim shenanigans and just left the two alone…

*

Girl I Met in Mcdonalds

Hey… haven’t heard from you for awhile… i miss you gorgeous
Delete

Girl in Sociology Class

When are you coming over for our “special” tutorial lessons?
Delete.

Girl who solds Avon products

Hey just got new products that you will look good on, but still I love to see you without anything on…
Delete…

 

AIIIIIISSSSHHHHHHH… Jennie drags her feet as she walks back to her dorm room…

“Is this the sign of menopause? When you’re uninterested in doing it? But that can’t be… I’m not even 21 yet… so, what is this? When did I become such a good girl?” Jennie groans in frustration to whoever was listening…

“I said stop… Jennie don’t need to know this.”

“Yes she does.”

Jennie’s forehead furrows to the conversation inside her dorm room. She leans her ear closer to their door to listen. The voice belonged to Wendy and…. Irene…

“WHAT ARE YOU TWO HORNDOGS DOING?!”
Jennie quickly burst inside the room and sees the two girls staring blankly at her.

“Get a hold of yourself.”

“What is this? why did I hear my name?” Jennie demanded…

“It’s not you” Wendy lies “didn’t you even think that there could be another Jennie?”

“Oh what the hell… Sana is here.”

"Irrreennne” Wendy looks at the girl who looks
unfazed by Wendy’s attempt of a death glare.

That name was enough to wake Jennie up,

“Sana? Minatozaki Sana?”

“Duh… is there another Sana you know?”

“Why would you try and hide it from me?” Jennie turns to look at Wendy demanding an answer.

“Because…” Wendy sighs unsure of how to explain it. She’s usually frank and has no problem sharing her thoughts, but Jennie no matter what people say about her is still a little girl who easily gets hurt at the simplest things. Yet what she is about to say is something that Jennie needed to hear.

“A lot of people know you as player Jen, but lately, you change like you don’t flirt around and you don’t try to get into anyone’s pants anymore. and that is the real Jennie that me and the girls know.
We like the real Jennie better and I think if you see Sana again, you might go back to your… ummm… habits again.”

“Let her see Sana” Irene coolly says…

“Unnie… not helping here.”

“No… this will prove it.”

“Prove what?”

The two girls share a we- know something-you-
don’t-know look.

“That we are right.”

"Right about what?”

Irene did the mature thing to do and sticks out her tongue at the girl.

“No, for once Unnie is right about this.”

“What do you mean, for once?” Irene glares at her bestfriend only to be ignored.

“I think it would be good that you figure out to yourself what we're trying to prove.”

All this mess is getting to her head and it annoyed her to the core. But instead of retaliating, Jennie just made a mental note to herself: use Wendy and Irene’s toothbrush to clean the dorm toilet.

“How could I figure it out when I don’t know what it is?”

“That’s the fun part.”

“Trust me, roomie… you’ll thank us later.”

*

“Chaeng” Lisa asks worrily at the lump hiding underneath the covers. “Are you ok?”

“Noooo.” Chaeyoung mumbles underneath her sheets… “Can I just hide here forever?”

Lisa sits down on her bed and pats her bestfriend’s back or something… she couldn’t tell what she was patting…

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, you and Jennie unnie look cute together.”

That made Chaeyoung pop out of her covers, glaring angrily at the other girl.

“No… that doesn’t make me feel better,” She groans heavily at her sad fate, “How could I have an outburst like that? Now that idiot is going to be my first kiss.”

“Well… maybe you can tell unnie to change her bet.”

“Pfffttt… yeah right, like that idiot is going to listen. Gosh Lisa... First kiss? First kiss? I know I’m being old fashion but I wanted it to be with someone special and someone who I know who loves me, not just someone who adds me on their long list.”

“I’m sorry about that."

“It’s not your fault.”

“So, what are you going to do now?”

“Hide here forever.”

*
“Gosh Jen… how did you get Mr. Kang to call you… hey! Earth to Jennie…”

Joy smacks her bestfriend’s head to get her
back to reality.

“HEY!!!” Jennie frowns as she rubs her sorehead.

“What’s up with you?”

Joy won’t be pleased when she know but there was no point hiding it from her.

“Sana is here.”

“What? you’re not going to see her, are you?”

“What? You too?”

“I mean Jen, you already have Chaeyoung…”

“What? Since when did I have Chaeyoung?”

“Aren’t you like her girlfriend or something?”

“In another world, yes. But I couldn’t even do anything, the farthest we could do is text each other “mwah” you know how depressing that is?”

“So, you just want to get laid, is that it?”

“No… ummm… yeah… look, don’t tell Seulgi and Yeri about it, ok?”

“Too late there idiot.”

The two girls jump in surprise at the sight of the frowning midgets. Yeri and Seulgi jumps on her and starts poking her.

“Hey! What are you two doing?!”

“This is an intervention.”

“Don’t tell us you’re going back to her.”

“Yeah after that girl turned you into this…this… this” Seulgi for once struggled for the right word to say.

“This hoe” But Yeri isn’t…

“Whoah there! did you just call me a hoe?”

“What do you call a girl who texts to different girls at the same time and “hang outs” with them in one week?”

“A hoe” Seulgi and Joy nods approvingly.

“Alright! Alright! I get your point… now get off me!”

“NO!!!!”

“Look, I’m going to meet her and clear out some things that’s it… Then, its over… No going back to her apartment or in her car or bathroom or…”

“Stop ert!”

“Fine… Trust me guys… it’s over…”

They know they should trust their bestfriend,but how come the three don’t feel so confident?

*
“Hey since there are three of us, can we be like Charlie’s Angels?”

“Shut up, Joy.”

The two hissed as the three buddies hide behind the menus to avoid getting detected by Jennie…

“Oh, I’m seriously going to kill her.” Yeri growls as she sees Jennie walking in making every head turns toward her.

“Why? What did she do?”

“Look at her, she obviously wants to get laid.”
Seulgi hush her as they try to listen in to the girls
conversation.

“Jennie?”

“Sana… hey.”

The two awkwardly look at each other, both look like
Goddesses but they couldn’t even look a second at each other. Sana knew what she did to Jennie. The two met when Jennie was still a freshmen, she was cute and innocent but that innocence quickly went away when Sana started playing with her.

Jennie mistook everything for love. She gave Sana her everything and Sana was her first, first kiss, first touch. It hurt Jennie like hell to learn that Sana never even loved her, but Jennie refuse to cower in the corner and cry for Sana to come back to her,
instead she turned into a player breaking hearts like the way Sana broke hers.

“So… ummm… how you been?”

“Good and you?”

“Good too… you look beautiful by the way.”

“Yeah you too… so, ummm... what made you visit?”

“oh, ummm... I'm here to visit my boyfriend...”

“What?”

Sana shouldn’t affect her like this but here it goes again, Jennie could only guess that Sana still does have her heart.

“Why? You don’t believe it?”

“I do… but…”

What do they have that she didn’t have? That you couldn’t be with me? Jennie felt the place suffocating her and she just had to go out of there.

“I need to go to the bathroom.”

*
Jennie exhales shakingly, unsure why she was feeling like this…

“Jen?”

“What do you want?”

“I can’t stand seeing you like this.” Sana pulls the girl to look at her.

“Oh, you care all of a sudden?”

“I always cared…”

“Oh, now you tell me that?”

“Look… I know you can’t get over me.”

I froze… I take a big gulp of my spit… does she know? Does she know all along?

“Oh please… You’re getting way too ahead of yourself.”

“Am I? After me Jen, have you ever been with somebody that you love and care about? Everyone that you were with were just your way of forgetting me.”

I wanted to scream at her… how insensitive could she be? She was suppose to be my bestfriend and yet it feels like she intentionally says words just to hurt me.

“Do you know, you in giving advices? and you know what? I found somebody.”

That was me talking by the way… but where the hell did that lie came from?

“Oh really? How come I never heard about you talking about this somebody?”

She gives me the look, the look that says “ I don’t believe the crap coming out of your mouth”

“Because ummm… We just started dating, I wanted to make sure that it’s serious before I tell anybody.”

If I was Pinocchio my nose will already poke through the bathroom walls.

“Who is she?”

“ummm… her name is...”

Quick mind… think of a name… I look around in the bathroom to search for the name of my non existent girlfriend, “door, doora?”, tampons, tammie?, Oh God… I’m such an idiot… wait
tissue? My eyes on the Angel soft tissue wrappers

“Angel.”

“Oh Angel? When can I meet her?”
her looks soften a bit like she was actually starting to believe my lies…

“Ummm… soon… she’s busy.”

“Well, would she have time to double date with your bestfriend and her guy?”

Just kill me why don’t you?

“Oh yeah sure…”

“Good… I’m going to ask JB, how about Friday night?”

“Friday night?”

I gulp again at the rate I’m going, I’m going to lose all my spit…

“Yeah… why? is she that busy?”

“No, no… of course not.”

“Good… I’m glad we settled this one.”

She is about to walk back to the café when she stop and turned at me.

“Is she pretty?”

“Prettier than you.”

*
I was looking through my phonebook for a girl name Angel. Angel should have been a common name but the world was too cruel… I just didn’t know anybody by that name. I was about to call my buddies, asking them if they know a girl name Angel.

“Hello?”

I heard constant crunching in the other line… When you’re bestfriends for a long time, good manners just seem to jump off the window.

“Hey Joy, do you know any Angel?”

“You’re talking to one…”

I press the red button, hopefully my bestfriend realizes that she’s useless.

“I do but I don’t have her number.”

“Yup… but we're not close.”

“No, but I know a girl name Diana…”

Rejection. After rejection. After rejection. But finally…

“Oh yeah… someone from work…”

Jisoo!!! My savior!!! If i could give a most reliable award to anybody it would be Jisoo. Sure she got a temper and likes to kick people’s shin cause her short legs can’t reach any further, but when you really need her, she always comes through.

“GREAT!!!! Can I meet her tomorrow?”

“Ok, I’ll tell her, how about lunch?”

“Good… lunch is ok with me… thanks Jisoo…”

Finally I could sleep…

*
God you’re so funny. I tried to move my cheeks to force a smile but I can’t, not when this gremlin is looking at me. Jisoo is grinning like an idiot like she’s cupid who made a match made in heaven. She looks like an angel all right, if an angel drops on
the rocky ground face first.

“She’s very… ummm… well… ahhh… nice.” Jisoo whispers…

I don’t care if this girl is a freaking saint! There is no way I would be seen walking around with this chunky dwarf with a face that only a mother could love. I know… I was being cruel…. I have no problems being friends with her, but show her off to Sana? I could hear the laughter right now. I wanted so bad to ask her if she ever heard of this invention called a comb. But I calm myself and ask her something else.

Aish...

This is going to be a longest hour of my life. I made some excuse that I needed to go to work, as I step out of the café, I got a phonecall from Sana.

“Hey Sana”

“Jen… hey sorry but JB got a photoshoot this Friday night.”

“Ohhh… too bad… and Angel is like all excited… maybe next time.” 

Thank you lord, I sighed in relief.

“How about tonight?”

“What the? Tonight?”

God? Can you hear me? It’s me Jennie Kim?

“Why? IS Angel busy tonight?”

I shouldn’t have been in this situation in the first place, if I could have just been honest… have the guts to have told her how I felt. Maybe she would love me back, maybe she actually felt the same way about me but was scared? Maybe… My train of thought stops as I heard giggling and kissing
noises… Then, I realize, maybe just maybe, I was too stupid to see that there was nothing worth fighting for in the first place.

“Yeah sure… we're free tonight.”

WTH did that lie come from?

“Good, I’ll see you later in Milk around 8, ok? bye Jen.”

I heard more giggling before the line when dead… it was 2 pm… I had 6 hours to find this Angel.

*
I did what any normal person would have done if they were in my situation, go out in the streets and start yelling…

“Who is Angel here?”

People all turned to look at me… plan A obviously didn’t work, so go to plan B… I started patting every girl I see asking them if they’re name is Angel… A few girls started freaking out that the mall cop was starting to chase me.

Crazy day and it’s already 6 o clock… I waited, waited for an angel. The world is a cruel place…

“I’m Angel.”

I groaned and buried my head in my hand, right in front of me is a heavily tattooed guy who looks like he just got out of prison. Can someone just end my misery and kill me?

“Do you have a boyfriend?” did he actually asks me that? I could feel my jaw drop to the ground. There she was coming out the bookstore behind ex convict Angel, a tall, slender, doe eyed beauty. It will sound so cliché but if Angels really do exist… they would look like her.

“I don’t have a boyfriend but I have a girlfriend… sorry dude, but men aren’t really my type…”

I accidentally shove Chaeyoung in the back and the girl turned angrily at me...

“Oh, Chaeyoung, I’m sorry about that, how about I take you to dinner?”

She looks at me in surprise and she shakes her head.

“Ummm… what? No… I’m not hungry…”

“You're not hungry? nonsense! Let’s go!”

“Wait… Jennie… where are you taking me?”

“To dinner, you ever been to Milk? They got good ice teas there.”

“Wait a minute! You’re freaking me out” She pulls away…

“Look, this is what happen, I sorta lied to Sana and now I have to show up to dinner with a fake girlfriend name Angel.”

“Wait… I’m not gay!” She looks at me angrily… yeah right,

Chaeng… I know you just went gay for me…

“Did I say you were? I just said you have to pretend you are.”

“Sorry but no”, She turns and walks away and I could only think of one way…

“That bet… we’ll cancel it after you do this, pretend to be my girlfriend then were done. I JENNIE KIM will never bother PARK CHAEYOUNG as long as we both shall live.”

Chaeyoung rubs her temples in irritation.

“Why am I always around when you’re in a crappy situation?”

“Cause you’re my angel.”

*

The two walk over to the gorgeous couple who can’t keep their hands away from each other, Jennie pulls Chaeyoung closer before she says.

“ G, JB… This is my girlfriend Chaeyoung.”

Chaeyoung gulped at the sound of that, She pictured this moment in my head for quite some time now… and it’s not suppose to be this way. Not with Jennie…

“Oh really… I thought her name was Angel?”

“Oh did I say Angel? That’s what I usually call her cause just look at her… She looks like one, doesn’t she?”

Jennie intertwined her fingers with Chaeyoung

JB nods like he approves “oh yeah… ooffff” He cowers when Sana elbows him in the chest.

Chaeyoung could feel the moment that she and Sana saw each other that they won’t get along. Sana glares at her from head to toe, like she was sizing her if she's worth Jennie’s attention.

From the looks of how they were eating each other up, Jennie stood no chance. The lovers were lost in their own JB and Sana world and there was no one that could bring them back to Earth. But as Chaeyoung look at the two, she felt like they were
not in love, more of in lust. If they act like this in public? How much more in private?

“Here boo…”

Chaeyoung didn’t know what came up to her, but next thing she knows, she shoved a fork of spaghetti right up Jennie’s throat.
The poor girl starts coughing and pounding her chest. Sana pushes JB away and looks worried before she shooting Chaeyoung a death glare. She almost panic and hands Jennie the water which she gulps down.

“Are you ok?”
She asked her… Jennie, she slaps Chaeyoung softly in the arm before the two of us starts laughing. In the corner, Sana isn’t too please.

“What were you trying to do? kill her?” Her voice sounds like a police interrogating Chaeyoung for a crime.

“Sana, stop you’re over reacting.” Jennie defends Chaeyoung while Sana didn’t look too please that she stood up to her.

“Geez Jen… When you choose a girlfriend, you should have pick someone who knows how to take care of you.”

“That’s ok Sana… I want to be the one to take care of her.”

“Oh really? Cause what I remember of you, you’re the one who tends to get a little clingy.”

Jennie didn’t know how to react at that one, how could Sana just act like this? Jennie thought she never cared, so why would she blast her out like this?

“Well…My boo could cling to me all she wants.” Chaeyoung intertwines her fingers with Jennie, surprising the older girl. The tension brewed between the two, it’s a good thing JB was feeling .

“Babe… can we go?”

JB asks and from the hint of his voice, anyone could tell that Sana and him are going to continue what they were doing in private.

“Yeah sure… Jennie…remember Jen, you promise to take me to airport tomorrow.”

“Yeah… I will.”

“I hope that’s ok with you, Chaeyoung,” Sana says mockingly…

“No big deal… I trust Jennie.”
Sana glares and didn’t even bother to reply. Sana gives Jennie a hug while JB picks up her purse itching to get out of there.

“So, that’s Sana, huh?”

“Yup, that’s her.”

Awkward silence…

“I’m sorry about this Chaeyoung, do you want to go home?”

“No… let’s just finish the food…”

The two have many awkward moments but nothing came close to beating this one.

 

*

“Are you ok?” Chaeyoung asks for the millionth time as they walk back to their dorm.

“I’am… stop asking.”

“Ok, geez… I’m just worried… this isn’t like you.”

Jennie chuckles… “Why? What’s like me?”

“You know loud, happy, dorky… but never quiet… I…ummm… hate seeing you like this.”

“I’m just… well… tired…”

“Well… you know what, Jennie… let’s do this! kiss me.”

Jennie’s eyes widen in shock at what Chaeyoung just said.

“Wait…what now?”

“If it makes you feel better, I mean let’s go on with the bet so ummm… kiss me… c’mon, do it… promise I won’t punch you…”

Chaeyoung screwed her eyes shut, ready to get her first kiss…

“What the?”

She opens her eyes as she felt someone’s arms wrap around her waist and Jennie's face buried in her hair. The girl had wrapped her in a back hug instead of a kiss.

“I don’t want to do that Chaeyoung. I don’t want you to remember your first kiss to be with someone who you were forced to do it with. Everybody is saying it’s just a kiss but it’s not… it’s giving a part of yourself to someone. But if you or the other person never cared and just kiss for the heck of it, you’ll spend your whole life kissing whoever just so you could find that perfect kiss.”

Chaeyoung look at Jennie’s eyes and gone were those playful and erted looks instead they were filled with sincerety and maybe even worry. Maybe she was wrong, maybe Jennie isn’t a big joke like she thought she is, maybe Jennie care after all.

“You deserve to have the perfect first kiss with the one you truly love.”

“Ummm Jennie… I didn’t…OWWWW… What are you doing?!”

Chaeyoung asks in surprise as the girl jumps on her back.

“I still won the bet and since we didn’t get to kiss, I decided to turn you into my slave. That speech fried my brain cells so I’m dead tired, so, I command you to carry me all the way to our dorm.”

“Geez… just when I thought you were nice…” Chaeyoung roll her eyes…

“KYAAH!!! Gallop slave! Gallop!” Jennie starts bouncing on Chaeyoung's back.

“Stop moving. You are going to break my back.”

“hehe… that’s a good idea, let’s make brokeback mountain 2…Chaennie style… OW” Jennie rubs her forehead where her slave flicks her.

“ert.”

“You made me. Hot stuff.”

The beautiful clear sky, cool, crisp air and the sound of their laughter, for Jennie no night could have been more perfect.

*
Sana was only there for a couple of days but Jennie have never felt so glad that she was finally leaving. Jennie hands Sana her bag before giving the girl a goodbye hug.

“Well… have a safe trip.” Jennie try to say casually and the look on Sana’s face was confusing…

“Wait… Jen…Can I ask you a question?”

“It’s not about money problems, right? Cause I don’t have any right now.”

“No dork… it’s something else.”

“Ok, then… what is it?”

“What if there was someone in my life, who I thought to be nothing more but my friend, then I met somebody else and thought that well… this could be my dream guy but when I was with him, that “friend” met somebody else and I realize that my dream guy wasn’t the one that I want to be with, its my friend all along?”

That. Was. A. long. question… It reminded me of those math problems… where someone is going to point A and another is going to point B, how long is it going to take for them to get to point C?

I couldn’t help but smile… cause I saw me and Sana in that question… I remember the days where I would give everything just so I could follow her, I was crazy, stupidly and blindly in love. Loving her is like a rollercoaster, you think you’re brave enough to handle it, you go through all the loops and drops but
at the end of it all, you’re just glad it’s over… me and Sana… there is no going to point C… We were meant to take different points.

Next thing I know, Sana has her lips on mine… Her lips were just as sweet and good as I remember but the thing now is, I would rather be kissing Chaeyoung.

Wait...

Did i just say I would like to kiss Chaeyoung? The girl who i could never stand? who annoy the crap out of me?

DUH... you just figure that out? Why do you think other girls just don't interest you anymore? Why you try to get her attention everytime? When here you are, kissing the girl that you have like for so long and all you could think of is her?

"OMO?"

"Jennie? what's wrong?"

"I love Chaeyoung."

"What?!" Sana wasnt really happy that the girl was thinking of someone else while they kiss.

"Sana... I love Chaeyoung... I love her... I do," She kisses Sana in the forehead before running out

"Thanks for helping me figure that out."

*
Wendy was studying/texting/eating when her dorm room door burst open. She turns and sees the cute puppy eyed girl...

"OMO WENDY... I think I love Chaeyoung"

Wendy flashes that brilliant smile, the old innocent and dorky Jennie is back and she's glad.

"See? didn't I tell you, you should figure it out yourself?"

Jennie smiles... glad that for once, Irene was right...