Chaeyoung's First Love

Neon

 

 

“Miyeon?”

“Chaeyoung?”

“MIYEON!!!!”

“CHAEYOUNG!!!”

Lisa watches her two high school bestfriends hug and jump up and down in excitement.

“What you doing there? Lisa? Don’t you miss me?” Miyeon pouts cutely.

Lisa smiles and joins the two. They might be a sight to see in the airport. Three gorgeous girls laughing and chatting as if no one was watching. 

They were known as the three Goddesses in high school. Of course, Chaeyoung was the most popular one and going to an all girls high school where everyone is addicted to drama, people constantly pitted them against each other. But they were thankful that they were a few of the lucky ones who found good, loyal people instead of conniving es as friends.

Chaeyoung was quite upset at first that Miyeon chose to go to different university, but she learn to accept it. In a way her friendship with Lisa strengthen now that it was just the two of them.

“So, how long are you staying to visit?” Lisa asks…

“Ummm… probably the weekend or maybe longer if I get lucky.”

“Lucky in what?”

“Don’t ask Lisa, Miyeon stop polluting Lisa’s mind.”

“What? I’m just saying… so, are there like a lot of cute guys here?”

JENNIE KIM. WTH?! Chaeyoung immediately jump up as she didn’t know what made her even think of… of… of that girl...

“Whoah Chaeng… you ok?” Miyeon asks worriedly as she sees her friend just froze all of a sudden.

“Why?”

“I don’t know you just suddenly like went… freeze.”

“I… ahhh… got cold… hehe.”

“So lame… If your fans could see how lame you are.”
Chaeyoung roll her eyes at the statement.

“Whatever… coming to visit to check out the guys.”

“Hey… I come here to see you two.” Miyeon pouts cutely once again.

“Yup. Keep telling us that… but we still love you. So how about we go grab something to eat?”

“Chaeyoung… you smart girl… you…”

*
A tub of rocky road ice cream and her and her friends scarfing it down was the life for Chaeyoung. Although she loves Lisa practically like her own sister, she admits that it felt good to not be so uptight and just let loose with Miyeon.

Right now, under the tree the girls laugh their hearts out reminiscing about the stupid yet memorable things about high school.

“Remember Chaeng… first day of high school you were late.”

“Well… my bike broke…”

“Yeah blame it on the bike, you were like stuck in detention for a week… like who was it with?”

Chaeyoung could perfectly remember who she was stuck in detention with, that was the first day she saw Jennie Kim… If she thinks about it, it’s like life has a funny way of bringing them together.

“I don’t remember.” Chaeyoung lies…

“Oh my Gosh… I think it was Jennie unnie.” Lisa says happily.

Blame Lisa and her mood killing skills.

“Jennie Kim? It was her?!” Miyeon wonders "She is like so hot now, if I know she was going to be this hot, I would have went to this university.”

It takes a lot to make Chaeyoung stop chewing but the name Jennie Kim seems to always do the trick.

“She wasn’t like that in high school, was she Chaeng?” Miyeon asks.

Chaeyoung wanted to say that Jennie was cute in high school, dorky and super cute that was why she had always liked her. She didn’t know why Jennie turned into this player who just seems to bump every pretty girl in sight. That bothered her especially since she knows that Jennie shouldn’t have an effect on her.

“I don’t remember her in high school.” Chaeyoung lied.

Miyeon chuckles… “Of course, you’re Park Chaeyoung… An unpopular girl like her is not worth your attention.”

Little did Miyeon know that in high school, all of Chaeyoung’s attention was on that
unpopular girl.

“So, are you guys close with her now?”

“Well, she and Joy unnie are friends so we hangout with them sometime.”

“Ooohhh… lucky, is she really hot in real life? Cause she’s like gorgeous in her facebook photos.”

Chaeyoung stop sipping her drink and looks at Miyeon.

“Wait… you two are facebook friends?”

“Yup… Arent you?”

“No…”

“Why not?”

“Cause were not friends and you two aren’t either.”

“Gosh Chaeng, didn’t you see that movie about facebook? That’s why that Mark guy invented facebook so everyone could be friends.”

Chaeyoung roll her eyes “Sorry but I don’t befriend people I’m not friends with.” She replies sarcastically.

Miyeon lift up her brow giving Chaeyoung a yeah-right look. “Oh really? So, you really know all the 5,000 friends you got?”

Miyeon got her there.

“No… I just feel bad if I don’t say yes to a friend request.”

“I’m facebook friends with unnie.”

“See? Even Lisa is friends with her. You’re getting slow buddy.”

“So, Jennie invited you?” Chaeyoung asks surprisingly…

“Yup…”

So, why didn’t she invited me? It shouldn’t have bothered her, it shouldn't but here was her heart slowly aching again.

“So, did the two of you actually talk in facebook or your just there in her facebook friends?”

Miyeon laughs before giving Chaeyoung a wicked smile, “Well… actually she post a happy birthday message on my wall on my birthday.”

And Jennie probably don’t even know when my birthday is…

“Well, since I’m here I was wondering if I could hangout with her.”

“WHAT?!” the word hangout means different things for Jennie Kim. And seeing that her bestfriend looks like a doll, she would probably hangout in Jennie Kim’s bedroom. “Why would you want to do that? Jennie is like flirtatious and cocky… You won’t have fun with her”.

Lisa was surprise with Chaeyoung’s outburst but Miyeon remains unfazed by it.

“Well, I’ll be the judge of that… We’re going out this afternoon. I ask her if she could show me around the campus and she was like so cool about it and was like yeah…”

It shouldn’t bother her anymore, it shouldn’t. But here was Chaeyoung, her heart crushing in pieces per millisecond at the thought of somebody else with Jennie. She thought she was over her, she really did… But now that she thinks of it, Park Chaeyoung couldn't get over someone who still have all of her heart in the first place.

 

*

FLASHBACK
HIGH SCHOOL

It was the year of K-pop invasion, the beginning of this weird thing called facebook and unfortunately for Chaeyoung, the year they make crappy bikes… She growls angrily at her useless contraption, it was her first day of high school and she’s going
to be late.

ARGH!!!

She flings her foot out of frustration at the bike.

“OW!!!” She winces clutching her foot.

NEOMMU BANJJAK BANJJAK NOONI…

Chaeyoung turns to the sound of noise pollution. A raven haired girl rides her bike happily singing along to some Korean song. As Chaeyoung turns back to try and fix her bike, she hears tires squeal
behind her…

“Hi...”

Chaeyoung turns to see girl-singing-korean walking towards her.

“What’s wrong?”

The girl walks over to Chaeyoung’s bike and tries to inspect to see what was wrong with it. Chaeyoung sees the girl’s yellow ribbon on her uniform. The girl went to the same high school as her and yellow means she’s a year older than her.

“Oh, your chain just got loose, if… HEEEEYYYY!!!!! MY BIKE!!!!!!”

the girl screams as she saw the girl speeding away with HER bike.

*

Jennie wishes the girl giving her obsessive love stares won’t give her nightmares this year… Kim Yoojung has been Jennie’s obsessive suitor since they were in pre school and although Jennie have politely decline Yoojung’s offer day after day after day. Yoojung still lived in this alternate universe that Jennie is secretly in love with her and is just scared to admit it. Jennie cringes at Yoojung mouths “I love you” from across the table.

“Why don’t you just say yes to her?”

The sound of munching only means one thing… that Jennie's bestfriend since diapers, Park Sooyoung is close by. The tall shikshin was never the right person to go for advice. Whether it be love, studies, friendship or money but that doesn’t stop her from giving out anyways.

“Don’t wanna… she’s psycho.”

Yeri, fun sized (also known as short) friend with
overwhelming cuteness sighs dreamily… “Aren’t we all Jennie when it comes to love?”

“How should I know? I have never been in love.” Jennie shrugs.

“Not yet” says the mischievous shorty Seulgi.

“Well… anywho… why don’t we change our topic to something more important than love? How about we eat tempura in the food court after class?”

Jennie growls… “I can’t I have detention today.”

“What? First day of school and you got yourself in trouble already?”

“It wasn’t me… this girl got me in trouble.”

“That’s what the guilty ones say.” The three nods in
agreement… Jennie huffs a frustrated sigh. If this was another case, she would have argued with her three bestfriends, but after walking under a 100 degree weather heat and getting detention, she is just too tired to argue.

*
Jennie couldn’t recall the day much worse than this one. It was the first day of sophomore year and she became a victim of a heartless psychopath who took advantage of her kindness. Not only did the girl stole her bike, she had to walk under the scorching heat only to get yelled at and given detention. She could be somewhere right now, but nooo… she was in the library, walking to detention.
oh, and who do we have here? The BIKENAPPER!!!

She doesn’t even look like she cared that she made someone’s day hellish. She was there napping in the corner. Jennie angrily stomps towards her

“Shhhhh” The librarian scolds her…

“Sorry” Jennieapologizes and starts tiptoeing (very angrily still of course) towards the sleeping girl. She pokes the girl’s wide forehead to wake her up. The girl flutters her lashes then frowns at her.

“YOU” Jennie says in a low and threatening voice.

“What kind of person steals someone else’s bike after they tried to help them?”

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I’m in detention too.”

“No… it doesn’t.” it means Jennie is going to be stuck one whole afternoon with her.

The girl scratches her head as if Jennie’s presence bugs her…

“Well… it’s your punishment for murdering the Girls Generation song.”

Jennie GASPS.

“It’s a catchy song.” Jennie reasons out

“Doesn’t mean you have to sing it.” Chaeyoung answers back

“Then, don’t listen to it.”

“How could I not? If you’re screaming it?”

Jennie growls but the girl didn’t look the least bit affected on offending the girl. She rolls those beautiful eyes before adding, “You probably don’t even know what you are singing about.”

Jennie slams her palms on the table and scowls at the still unresponsive girl. That did it! This girl, with her pretty cute face is going to be in her hate list. How dare she try to mock Jennie and her love of K pop?

“You could have just said sorry but noooo…” Jennie hissed. The two got involved in an intense staring match, neither wanted to look away, neither really seem to want to look away.

“Huh?! What’s this?!” Jennie looks surprise at the load of cartolina and art crap put in front of them.

“It’s your punishment, both of you. You two have to make the bulletin board for the library.” said the stern librarian…

“What?!Just for being late?” Jennie turns to the bulletin board… that’s not even a bulletin board, she thought, it’s a freaking wall.

“Ms. Boncho don’t you think this is too much? Could we just get a warning and get on with our lives?”

“Just get to work so we can get out of each other’s faces.” the girl adds as she quickly picks up the art materials.

Jennie growls again for the nth time. And Jennie wonders if the girl just makes her do that or she was just a lion in her past life, she wasn’t so sure.

*

If people can see her now, with the beads of sweat dripping from her forehead and the look of determination in her eyes, People would assume Jennie was trying to defuse a bomb that could obliterate the whole city. Chaeyoung rolls her eyes at the hopeless retard who takes 10 minutes to cut out one letter from the paper.

“Are you sure you’re in high school? because I swore they teach cutting in kindergarten.” Chaeyoung says in her deadpan voice.

“You are just a ball of sarcastic rage that I could just kick anytime.”

The girl shrugs then continues to cut… Chaeyoung cringe at all the neon colors that Jennie was using.

“What are you planning to do? Blind the people with our bulletin board?” Chaeyoung complains.

“What are you talking about?”

“All those neon colors, it can make a blind person see again.”

“Don’t you know? That’s the best way to get someone’s attention, a neon sign.” Jennie schooled the obnoxious freshmen.

Chaeyoung roll her eyes and doesn’t want to argue no more.

“Whatever. Let’s just agree to disagree.”

“Ahhh crap.”

Jennie dives down on the floor with a loud thud. Chaeyoung looks suspiciously at a girl who just walks in the library seemingly looking for someone.

“Are you hiding from her?”

“Shhh…”

“Why?”

“Just be quiet.”

Chaeyoung raise her brow then “Pssst..” Chaeyoung wave her hand to call out the girl

“What are you doing?!” Jennie jumps on the pale girl and tackles her to the floor. The two are unaware of the close distance between them as Jennie lays on top of her.

“Tell me why you’re hiding from her.”

“Well… she kinda likes me…”

Chaeyoung scoffs “And I thought you’re stupid, but obviously someone is more stupid if she likes you.”

“Gee… thanks” Jennie says in a sarcastic tone.

“JENNIE?!” Yoojung finally saw her but her eyes immediately darken when she sees that her future lover is on top of someone else. “WHO ARE YOU?!”

“Me?” Chaeyoung asks then quickly wraps her arm around Jennie’s shoulder, pulling her close “Maybe I should ask you what do you need with MY girlfriend?”

“What the-?” Jennie looks at the girl surprisingly.
Imagine telling a die hard SONE that Girls Generation is breaking up, let’s just say that’s how the crazy girl’s face looks like.

“J-Jjennie is… is this true?” the girl’s voice cracks… Jennie is about to say something when…

“shhhh” Chaeyoung lays her finger on Jennie's lips.

“let our actions be her answer” Chaeyoung then roll as she got on top of the other girl. Chaeyoung have been in plenty of summer drama workshops to
know how to fake kiss. When she heard the girl storming away, she lets go of Jennie in a loud thud.

“What did you do that for?!” Jennie tries to look angry but all Chaeyoung could see is the deep red blush on the girl’s face.

“Well, she won’t be bothering you… so I guess that makes us even for me borrowing your bike.”

“Whatever” Jennie scoffs and turns away, mumbling to herself…

“I’m Chaeyoung.”

“Jennie.”

*

SMACK!!!!!!

OW!!!!

Jennie turns angrily at the tall girl with hand that could match Thor’s hammer.

“You owe me donuts.” The tall girl purse her lips angrily… Jennie scoffs. That’s her bestfriend just finds random things to make an excuse to get herself free food.

“What for?”

“For not telling me, your bestfriend since kinder that you have a girlfriend.”

“What?!” Jennie turns to look at Yeri, gaping open and her eyes off her DS which could only mean one thing. This is serious…

“You like girls?”

“Oh, so that’s why you keep on looking at Yeri’s chest.” Seulgi adds in a matter of fact

“SHUT UP! At least I don’t her!!!”

“WHAT?!” Seulgi stands up to show that she meant
business, not that it matters since she was practically a teenager trap in an elementary school girl's body. “It was an accident and it was just there, like airbags…”

“Kang Seulgi!!! How dare you?! You think my ies are airbags.”

“No, more of pillows, so fluffy.” Seulgi pouts thoughtfully, making lewd squeezing actions with her hand as she tries to remember the feeling. “yup… pillows.”

“Hold on a second!” Joy steps in “Let’s go to a more
important business… When are you going to buy me food?”

“Who’s this girl by the way?”
“I don’t have a girlfriend. Where did you even hear that?”

“From Yoojung, dude, we thought you died or something with the way she was bawling… turns out she saw you on top of your girlfriend in the library kissing.”

“And here we are feeling guilty cause you have to go to detention while we were eating tempura… hmmp… you were busy eating someone else.” Seulgi says

“That just doesn’t sound right.”

“We're talking yesterday how people go crazy when it comes to love, then here you are, breaking boundaries and normalcy to be with the one you love.” Yeri adds

“What are you even talking about?”

“A girl and girl love. You must really love her to go beyond boundaries.”

“Or she just makes Jennie .” Seulgi and her erted head.

“I’m not in love…”

“But you’re .”

“NOOO!!!!”

“fine. Fine… We're just joking…then tell us, what happened?”

Jennie takes a deep breath and explain the worst day of her life to her three bestfriends.

“So, who’s the girl?”

“This freshmen name Chaeyoung…”

The girls eyes widen…

“Who are you and what did you do to my bestfriend?!”

Jennie swats Joy’s hand off her face.

“What’s the big deal?”

“Jennie, no offense girl… you’re cute and all but there is just no way you can land someone like Chaeyoung.” Yeri tells her

“Don’t you know who Chaeyoung is? She’s like so famous in middle school that people in high school already know about her.”

“She’s not my girlfriend! I can’t stand her… growls” Gosh the thought of Chaeyoung makes me want to turn into the hulk.

“I think she’s very beautiful.” Joy says “and I thought I was beautiful” The tall girl takes a deep sigh like her life story is so tragic “but after I saw her I didn’t want to look at the mirror anymore cause I’ll only feel sorry for myself.”

Yuri rolls her eyes “Gosh Joy…soap operas looks like a comedy compared to your tragic life.”

“I know, right?”

*

Chaeyoung is already working on the bulletin board when Jennie arrives…

“Sorry… Girl scouts meeting just ended…” Chaeyoung just nods and continues cutting… “For you.” Chaeyoung’s lips slowly curve into a
cute smile when she sees the chocolate. “It’s from this girl, boy, kinda in between… you know Amber Zhang, the prince? She told me to tell you hi.”

“Oh” Chaeyoung instantly looks disappointed and pushes the chocolates back to Jennie. “Keep it.”

“Why?”

“I don’t like that brand.”

“Why what do you like?”

“Hersheys.” Jennie raise her brow, wondering if the girl is being funny or was telling the truth

“Oh…”
Unlike yesterday the two work in complete silence today. Chaeyoung couldn’t help but think that she prefer having the little banter with the girl than drown in this awful awkward silence.

“You want to play a game?” Jennie talks first
“What?”
“I ask you a question and you get to ask me a question too?”

Chaeyoung  snorts “What made you think I want to know things about you?”

“Cause you will miss half of your life if you don’t.”Chaeyoung chuckles and rolls her eyes “fine… you go first.”

Jennie pouts thoughtfully “tell me about yourself.”

“What about me?”

“Like your family… stuff like that.”

“Well… ummm… my parents are both doctors, my dad is a cardiologist while my mom is an oncologist” she notice Jennie’s confuse look… “They specialize in cancer” I’m the youngest, I have an oppa and an unnie. They’re both in medical school.
So, how about you?

“ahhh… I’m the eldest, then the one younger than me are twins. A boy and a girl. My whole family is in the States.”

“Oh, so you’re here by yourself?”

“No… my aunt lives with me, she’s single… so if your dad knows any eligible doctors, tell him to introduce her.” they laugh.

“That’s not interesting.”

“Well, you got to know me more.”

“Ok, why are you here and your whole family is in the States?” Chaeyoung asks...

“Cause my first year there I was crying, I miss it back home and the kids there are quite mean… so, I came back.”

“Oh…”

The girls continue working…

“Well… I’m glad you stay.”

Jennie smiles at her… awww… she could be sweet after all…

“Hopefully next time I get to do something it would be someone who’s not a retard.”

Jerk.

*

Jennie looks worried at the stack of chocolates beside Chaeyoung as the girl bite.chew.cut.bite.chew.cut.

“You want some chocolates?” Chaeyoung asks without even looking up.

“What?”

“You have been eyeing my chocolates since we started.”

Jennie grips the chocolates on her hand tighter but then takes a deep breath and hands it to Chaeyoung.

“For you,” Chaeyoung looks at the hersheys. “It’s from me…” Jennie says nervously...

“Oh ok.” Chaeyoung says indifferently. Jennie looks disappointed that Chaeyoung put the chocolates in her bag rather than join the army of chocolates beside her.

Jennie sits down by Chaeyoung when she turns to the girl, Chaeyoung shoves a chocolate on .

“Thanks” Jennie mumbles…

Chaeyoung then pops a chocolate into her big mouth, Jennie didn’t even realize that… how big Chaeyoung’s mouth gets.

“Do I have something in my teeth?” Chaeyoung asks then smiles, her teeth dark from the chocolates. Jennie chuckles then shakes
her head.

“No… how bout me?” Jennie smiles and the chocolates are all over her teeth too…
Chaeyoung lets out that big laugh and shakes her head. From the other corner, people can’t help to wonder who was this girl who gets to spend alone time with their Goddess.

“Ummm… Chaeyoung?”

“Mmm.”

“Is it ok if I go ahead?”

“Why?”

“My bestfriend is auditioning for the theatre club today and I want to support her.”

“Theatre club? You going to audition too?”

“Me… no… I get stage fright but dancing now that’s a different thing.”

Chaeyoung looks and sees a smile creeps into Jennie’s face.

“Cause when you dance you just let music take control of you… no lines, no anything…”

Chaeyoung quickly looks away when she realizes she was staring…

“Ok… tell her good luck.”

Jennie smiles “I will.”

*
The seniors and the advisers raise their brow at the shaking girl in front of the stage… Joy’s friends sighs heavily, feeling bad for their friend.

“Man… the moment she needs her thick skinned self, that’s when her nerves strikes her.”

Joy is stammering and practically creates a puddle on the stage with how hard she was sweating. Jennie wish she could go down there and save her bestfriend. But then…

THUD…

Jennie, Seulgi and Yeri stood up from their seats as Joy collapse to the ground.

“SOMEONE CALL THE NURSE!!!!”

*
“Ooohhh kay… that was awkward.” The theatre club president mutters under her breath as Jennie and the girls assist Joy out of there.

“next… let’s have Park Chaeyoung” and suddenly, Jennie hears the hush whispers all around the auditorium. Everyone’s eyes are on the Angel walking up the stage. Joy suddenly shot up.

“What the hell is wrong with you?”

“I want to see your girlfriend act.”

“She’s not my…”

“Shhhh” almost the whole auditorium glares at the four

“Sorry” the four girls bows down apology. Joy pushes her friends away and sits at the back, Jennie and the girls just shrug and plop themselves by Joy. One of the panelist gives Chaeyoung her storyline. Chaeyoung clears and just in a snap, the mischievous kid that Jennie knew for the past few
days turned into this different character.

Chaeyoung has been acting since she was five yet still she always get hit by the nerves when she’s up on the stage. But strangely she didn’t feel any nervousness as she looks up at the faces of the audience and out of everyone she sees raven haired girl lifting a neon pink poster in the air.

Chaeyoung puts her hand to try to calm her heart and softly she smiles. She doesn’t know what she was feeling but whatever it is, she likes it.

Jennie could hear the hearts breaking in the auditorium as they watch Chaeyoung act. She became this fragile girl who you just want to save, and with every tear she was able to break every
heart in that auditorium.

“God have mercy on the person who’s going to break her heart.” says one of the panels.

*

That audition cemented Chaeyoung’s status in the school. The whole entire high school were divided into two, Chaeyoung's fans or Anti Chaeyoung.

Jennie has been strangely quiet and it’s like after they were done with the bulletin board, Jennie just magically poof away from her life and Chaeyoung didn’t like it. Now all Chaeyoung could do is watch
Jennie from afar wishing that the girl would start to talk to her again.

It was valentines day and Chaeyoung’s locker was filled with every kind of chocolate and valentines day cards. She was used to receiving countless confessions, sometimes she couldn’t help but feel bad, girls and boys pouring their hearts out, some
even referring to some love songs just to win her heart.

Now that she was on the other side of the fence, her nerves were killing her, she spend the whole night making the neon pink valentines card for a certain  girl.

“Neon? It’s the best way to get someone’s attention, right?”

Chaeyoung whispers to herself, as she looks at the valentine card. She sees Jennie walking with her rambunctious friends, Chaeyoung takes a deep breath, ready to smile at the girl. But Jennie walk
right pass her without giving her as much as a glance. Jennie walk right pass her as if she never exist.

And for the first time, Chaeyoung knew what a heartbreak feels like.