Jennie's First Love

Neon

 

 

 

FLASHBACK

High school

“Oh please… help me out here.” Miyeon bats those long lashes trying to charm the school prince.

“Told you Miyeon, I’ll only hook you up with Yuqi if you help me out with Chaeyoung.” Amber says…

Miyeon  huffs in frustration. Amber should have just asks her to give her the freaking sun that seems to be more realistic than trying to hook up with Chaeyoung. Miyeon loves her bestfriend but she knows that Chaeyoung isn’t capable of going crazy over someone. She guess it was also part of Chaeyoung’s charm. Everyone wants to be that special one that made the Goddess Chaeyoung fall.
Chaeyoung is one of the most stubborn people that Miyeon met. And if she doesn’t like someone, even if you buy her a car and a mansion, it wouldn’t change her mind.

“Is Chaeyoung interested in anybody right now?”

“Her? please…” Miyeon scoffs “that girl is like a little boy, she thinks both boys and girls have cooties.”

“Then, I guess you should start working harder if you want Yuqi.”

Amber smiles slyly and walks away. Leaving Miyeon scratching her head in confusion.

*
That was strange, Chaeyoung never bothers to check herself in the mirror but the girl just stood in front of the bathroom mirror for 10 minutes.

“You’re just going to detention.” Miyeon tells her.

“Yeah, so?” Chaeyoung responds in her typical deadpan voice.

“Why are you like trying to fix yourself?”

“Well… I just realize how pretty I am and I couldn’t stop staring.”

Miyeon rolls her eyes, there is no point asking Chaeyoung a question. Chaeyoung was quick witted, she always has a sarcastic comeback for everything. It was her way of hiding what she feels, Chaeyoung is extremely private, just a hard case to crack.

“So, ummm… You know Amber?”

“No…”

“Well… she thinks you’re cute.”

“I am cute. I don’t need anybody to tell me that.”

“C’mon Chaeng, you have all these admirers, I’m sure you like one.”

And for once, Chaeyoung didn’t have a smartass comeback. And that surprise Miyeon, cause that only meant one thing. That someone was finally capable of making Chaeyoung fall.

“Well, I’m late… see yah tomorrow!”

Chaeyoung bounce happily out the girls bathroom.

*

Miyeon knew Chaeyoung well enough to know the girl is hiding something. So, she walks to the library hoping to find out what Chaeyoung is trying to cover up. And there she saw it, the only person capable of making Chaeyoung quiet. A raven haired girl
looking so serious as she cuts out neon letters. Chaeyoung occasionally steal glances at her. Miyeon never knew anyone that could affect Chaeyoung, but this girl could make her bestfriend
laugh and blush. Chaeyoung wasn’t capable of blushing… not until
now…

*

Seulgi and her friends look strangely at Jennie. The girl turned Joy’s neon poster that ultimately was a fail since Joy fainted on her auditions. Jennie looks so serious as she scribbles something in the back.

Jennie then lifts the blinding neon poster up in the air, when the angel step up in the stage.

“I think our buddy likes someone.” Yeri whispers to her friends and two girls nod in agreement.

Jennie didn’t need to tell them anything it was fairly obvious, Jennie looks like she stop breathing as she just watch the girl act on stage.

“I think it’s time for us to play cupid.” Joy suggests and for once, the two shorter yet much smarter friends agreed with the tall, dumb one.

*

“Can you give Chaeyoung this?”

This was the 3rd time this week that these hopeless girls are giving Jennie stuff to give to Chaeyoung. The next person who was going to approach her is going to get charge a fee. What do they think of her? A delivery girl?

“OW!!!!” Jennie frowns at the tall girl.

“Buddy! You got to step up your game! You’re losing to all of Chaeyoung’s fan girls.”

“Shut up!”

Lately, my friends found a new topic to annoy me with, they keep on pushing me to tall, pale with squishy cheeks and could swallow one burger in a bite girl… But she really does look pretty, lately, I think that’s what I have been doing just staring out my class door looking at her stare out blankly at
nothing. How could someone who’s spacing out just look so damn attractive?

“Seulgi?”

“Mmm?”

“What do you call that, when you just unconsciously stare at someone for hours?”

I frown at Joy’s words… Wait a sec… is Joy talking
about me?

“IDK, Joy… I think that’s what they call LOVE …” Seulgi answers back, emphasizing the word Love…

I growled under my breath, here they go again, making me a target of their useless brains.

“But what about when you get jealous when other people try to get close to her?” Joy scratches her head thoughtfully, I want to scratch her eyes off that’s what…“I think you call that love too, right?”

“How about out of nowhere you just say their name?” Yeri asks…

“Hey! I never talk about Chaeyoung!”

The three were grinning like idiots.

“Chaeyoung?” They say in unison

Oh crap.

*

Chaeyoung and Jennie looks proudly at their bulletin board.

“I think we make a good team, huh?”
Jennie smiles at the thought of her and Chaeyoung…

“Ummm Chaeyoung?”

“Mmm?”

“Ahhh…” Will you go out with me? say it Jennie, invite her to eat, she couldn’t say no to that.

Jennie takes a deep breath but just when she was about to ask her…

“Chaeng!!!”

“Miyeon? Lisa?”

“Wow… Chaeyoung-ah did you make this?” Lisa asks in awe.

“Yup, me and this girl here.” Chaeyoung points at Miyeon. “DumbJen , these are my bestfriends, Lisa and Miyeon, guys this is dumbJen.”

“Hey, I’m your unnie, you know.” Jennie frowns at Chaeyoung and Miyeon sees it again, the way Chaeyoung looks at the girl was something she never saw before. And it wasn’t good, it’s wasn’t good at all.

*

GASPS.

“Who are you and what did you do to my bestfriend?”

Joy watches in horror as Jennie opt to eat her plain peanut butter sandwich instead of buying the heavenly chicken tenders.

“Well… I’m saving money.”

Jennie have been bringing lunch from home for like two weeks now, instead of buying all the good things their cafeteria has to offer.

“Awww… Jen… Are you finally buying me that DS I have been asking?” Yeri releasing her overflowing aegyo to the world.

“No… I’m…ahhh…”

Even if the school cafeteria was pack during lunch hour, Jennie has no problems looking for Chaeyoung among the crowd. The girl was always surrounded by a pack of admirers, ready to attack on anyone who comes near their princess.
Everytime Jennie tries to step closer, they would surround her. “I just want to save.”

Seulgi looks strangely at their friend but decides not to question it.

“Look Jen a ladybug!”

“What?! Where?!” Jennie jumps in excitement at the thought of the spotted insect.

The girl gets distracted over the simplest things.
Jennie frowns when she realizes she just got duped.

“There is no lady…” When she looks down in her lunch, there was three chicken tenders in her plate. She smiles at her friends who pretend like they didn’t know anything.

“What?” Joy asks as if she didn’t know anything.
Jennie smiles at her friends and the chicken tenders never taste so heavenly as she and her friends ate.

*

Jennie sighs heavily, it was chicken tenders day in the cafeteria and she didn’t buy some, instead she put her lunch money inside her piggy bank marked

“Take Chaeyoung to an expensive date fund”.

Jennie knows she can’t compete with the school prince who have been showering Chaeyoung with the world or the admirers who devote 24 hours of their life worshipping Chaeyoung. But she
had to try, she just have to. She was willing to eat peanut butter sandwich for the rest of her high school life, just so she could take Chaeyoung to the kind of dinner she deserves. Chaeyoung meant the world to her and there was nothing in the world that could make Jennie happy than making Chaeyoung feel special.

*

Jennie walks nervously in the hallway, waiting for Chaeyoung to come out from her theatre club meeting. In her hand was a neon red card, it took her a week to finally write her confession letter and probably a whole forest with all the paper she threw out until she finally made one deserving of Chaeyoung.

“Hi.”

Jennie looks up and sees one of Chaeyoung’s bestfriend.

“Oh.. ummm… hi.”

“Jennie, right?”

“Ummm… Yup… Miyeon?”

“Yes…Do you need anything?”

“Ahhh no…” Jennie quickly hides her neon red card behind her.

“Awww… is that for Chaeyoung?”

The girl was different from most of Chaeyoung’s gazillion admirers. The girl didn’t look like she wanted Chaeyoung for the fame, or like Chaeyoung because she was popular. This girl loves Chaeyoung, Miyeon could see it. but Miyeon wanted Yuqi, but the only way to get close to her is if Amber helps out and this girl would just ruin her plan.

“Ummm… yeah… is she still there?” Jennie asks trying to peek in the room.

“Yeah… I think she would be there for like forever… You want me to give her your card?”

“Oh no… it’s ok… I could wait.” The girl was naïve…

“Are you sure? Cause when you see her, you might freeze or something and you know might back out. I could just give it to her.”

“Oh” Now that Jennie thought about it, she’s hopeless in front of Chaeyoung and there is a huge chance that she might chicken out, Miyeon looks like she could trust her. “Oh ok… here…”
Miyeon looks at the handmade neon red card…

“Alright… I’ll give it to her today.”

“Thank you.” Jennie smiles happily. “Thank you so much.” Jennie bowed down before walking away happily.

*

That night, Jennie couldn’t sleep a wink. She turns to her piggy bank and smiles happily, she just couldn’t wait…

*

Jennie feels her heart jumping off her chest as she waited outside the theatre club room again. She smiles at the white carnation that she bought Chaeyoung just in case the girl said yes.
But she should have saw it as a sign as she saw Miyeon with a glum look in her face, she shouldn’t be so stupid to even thought she had a chance with someone like Chaeyoung but there she was wishing…

“Hey…” Miyeon looks at her sadly… Jennie shouldn’t even bother to look at the torn notebook paper that Miyeon was handing her. But she wouldn’t give up, not until she sees it with her own eyes. And the moment she read the note, she knew what a
heartbreak feels like.

DumbJen,

Sorry, but there is no way I’m going to be caught dead in public with a loser like you.

Chaeyoung

“I’m so sorry…” Miyeon says apologetically, trying to avoid looking at the poor girl, who brushes her tears off with the sleeve of her uniform. “Chaeyoung doesn’t think what other people feel sometimes.”

Jennie shakes her head and forces herself to smile…

“No, don’t worry about it…ummm… Can you give this to her?” Jennie hands Miyeon the white carnation. “ Thank you” Jennie bows down and closes her eyes to stop herself from crying. Jennie quickly turns
back and walks away…

Miyeon sighs heavily, wondering if breaking two hearts was worth winning over a stupid crush. “You have nothing to thank
me for.”

*

She felt so stupid that even if the girl broke her heart, here she was still longing for the girl. It was valentines and Jennie just looks at Chaeyoung reading some of her confession letters before taking a huge sigh and shoving the letters back in her locker.

“Jeeennnn…”

“What?” Jennie snaps out of her trance and sees her bestfriends with huge goofy grins.

“Consider yourself so lucky, cause this valentines day you get to go out on a date with three of the hottest girls in campus.” Joy exclaims proudly.

Jennie smiles, she never told her friends what Chaeyoung said knowing that they would probably pull some stupid prank on her. She’s just stupid like that, even if Chaeyoung broke her heart, still she wouldn’t want anyone to do anything mean to her.

“Ohhhh… who?”

“You’re looking at them!”

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t see you guys.” Jennie looks and sees the two midgets huff angrily, the two hates short people jokes.

“You’re going to pay for that Kim!!!”
The two jumps on her…

Jennie doesn’t want to pass by Chaeyoung, she couldn’t, not when she still mending her broken heart. But here was her friends dragging her across the hallway and she has no choice but to
walk by Chaeyoung.

Sorry, but there is no way I’m going to be caught dead in public with a loser like you.

Those words ring in her head again, was that how Chaeyoung always see her? As a loser? What on Earth was she thinking? Her and Chaeyoung? She was never worthy of her, never was from the beginning.

Sorry, but there is no way I’m going to be caught dead in public with a loser like you…

She walks pass Chaeyoung, she doesn’t deserve to look at her or even be in the same hallway as her. She would never be good enough for the girl she was willing to give the world too, and Jennie just have to accept that.