Chapter 7

Now that you are here

It had been an extremely busy day for Seungcheol. Even when the Choi Company had the exclusive for their magazine, he had to work along the Yoon’s PR team to manage the press and the famous guests for the opening party. The grand salon was beautifully decorated and many of the guests had already arrived. The Yoons were great hosts used to such big parties and Seungcheol felt like he could finally take a breath.

He walked towards one of the balconies with a glass of champagne in his hand and looked down to the city. Even when it was a nice view, the sound of the music inside mixed with the sound of cars outside didn’t let him relax. He wondered if he had also been bewished by Busan's beach scenery or maybe it was just the image of Jihoon there that made him remember that place.

“Forget about it.” He said with a tired voice.

He had been trying not to think about it in the last month, but there were moments like this when all he could think about was the other. And it went beyond their last encounter, because Seungcheol wondered what would have happened when they were teenagers if things had been different. He wondered what would have happened if his mother’s condition didn’t turn worse. Would they have seen each other by the beach the following weeks? Would have his mother approve of him? Would-

“Seungcheol?”

He turned around to face Jeonghan’s puzzled face.

“What are you doing here? I told you that as soon as you finished coordinating with Mr. Han you should go to our table. There are a lot of potential clients and investors I must introduce you to.”

Seungcheol sighed before emptying his glass. It would be a long night.

They entered the grand salon once again and as soon as Jeonghan reached one of the well-dressed guests, Seungcheol stopped being just Seungcheol. He knew that for both of them it was more like a business briefing than a party per se, but even when others knew about their engagement, Jeonghan always addressed him as Mr. Choi, heir of Choi Company.

He was glad some of their friends were invited to the party so he could take a little break talking to Hyunwoo and Hoseok. They knew there was something going on with him, but Seungcheol had decided to keep his Busan memory buried in his mind. He didn’t want to risk Hyunwoo telling Minhyuk about it and Jeonghan would definitely find out then.

And it wasn’t like he wanted to avoid Jeonghan, but he was getting tired of the introductions and telling the benefits of working with Choi Company to those potential clients. His father was in Hong Kong for another project and Seungcheol had received emails, messages and calls all about how he should behave at the party and what clients he should target to.   

He looked around and saw Hyungwon, one of the famous fashions designers Choi Company worked with, surrounded by a bunch of models including the ones he already knew from the last magazine issue like Jun, Changkyun and Mingyu.

He decided to approach the group since he knew most of them, but as people started dancing in the middle, he stayed in his place listening to the music. He wasn’t a good dancer at all, he had taken classes forced by his father, but he didn’t have the ability. He sighed, because he knew his mind was taking him to memories of dancing with a certain person at the beach festival, but when he looked at the group of models again his eyes widened and his mouth opened in shock.

**************************************************************************************************************

“Jihoon, you promised. You can’t say no now.” Mingyu whined pulling Jihoon’s arm.

Mingyu had bought him a suit for the party and as much a Jihoon wanted to deny it, he looked good in it. It was just he wasn’t prepared to face Mingyu’s model friends at the party. It would be his official introduction as Mingyu’s boyfriend and he felt terrible, because that smiling stranger hadn’t been erased from his mind.

“Jihoon… Jihoon…Jihoon.” He looked up and saw Mingyu’s concerned face. “Are you ok?”

“Yes.” He said even when he felt like his head would explode any minute.

“So let’s get ready. I can even introduce you to the fashion designer I work with. The one Minghao introduced me to when I arrived to Korea.”

Jihoon just nodded softly and let the other pull him towards their walking closet.

And Jihoon just let the time pass by, listening to Mingyu’s voice like a lullaby. So he was surprised when Mingyu’s hand touched his letting him know they had arrived to the party. It was a really fancy hotel full of beautiful people and Jihoon felt intimidated once again. This wasn’t his usual environment. Even when he had met many singers, in the recording room everybody seemed more comfortable, without elegant clothes or makeup.

“Jihoon?” Mingyu asked when he noticed the other stopped walking at the entrance of the salon.

“Are you feeling sick?” He asked touching Jihoon’s forehead.

Jihoon took his hand away and gave the taller a small smile. “I’m fine. Let’s go inside.”

He had to face it. This was important for Mingyu and it didn’t matter how many songs he had written with Seungcheol as inspiration, he was here as Mingyu’s boyfriend and this could only make their relationship stronger.

“This is Woozi, my boyfriend.” Mingyu said cheerfully when they met the other models and Jihoon just bowed and gave them a small smile.

As soon as Jihoon first composed song was released back in Japan, he told Mingyu he should address him as Woozi in front of other people from their work, because Jihoon wanted to keep his privacy. The other accepted without further questions and it had been a normal thing between them since then.

And Jihoon was somewhat glad Mingyu had used that term with his model friends, because even when the models were nice to him, he still felt like he didn’t belong.

He was just returning from the restroom when he saw a familiar face in the middle of the crowd. He stopped in his tracks and blinked not believing it. He waited for the other person to take notice of him and when he did Jihoon gave him a bright smile.

It had been just a bit more than a month since they last saw each other, but Jihoon knew he wouldn’t feel out of place anymore.

“Baekho hyung!” He greeted the other happily.

“Woozi, it’s nice to see you again. Everyone misses you back in Japan.” The other said giving him a short hug.

They had become friends after working together for the last three years producing songs for Japanese artists and as soon as they started talking animatedly about music, Jihoon let himself relax. Mingyu had told him there would be many other music related guests, but Jihoon was never good at socializing in parties, so it was great to spend time with a close friend. But as time passed, he started having an internal debate if he should tell the other about Seungcheol. He hadn’t told Soonyoung because he was scared of what the other would say. He could be very supportive or be his worst critic.

“Woozi, I need to go to talk with the producer that invited me here. Do you want to meet him?”

Jihoon thought for a moment before rejecting the offer. He guessed his hyung would have important business to take care of and since he had spent enough time in the party, he could finally tell Mingyu he would be returning to their apartment.

He walked slowly, trying to avoid the dancing people in the middle of the way until he reached Mingyu. The other looked at him like asking what took him so long to return, but Jihoon just gave him a small smile. Mingyu let him be and turned his attention back to the other models talking, but not before he put his arm around Jihoon’s waist. Jihoon was not a PDA kind of guy, but he guessed Mingyu wanted to give him reassurance. Jihoon appreciated the gesture and rested his head on Mingyu’s chest.

He was sure he was getting sleepy in that position, but as his eyes followed the dancing figures in the middle of the salon, he noticed a figure at the other side that stood out like the full moon in the night sky.