Chapter 4

Now that you are here

It had been a busy week for Seungcheol, but with Wonwoo already confirming the publicity on tv, radio and social networks, he felt like he could finally relax. His grandmother had been very patient with him talking on the phone during dinner or late at night, but he had to make sure the project was successful as it was for a very important client.

His father was still trying to put him in a higher position, but he preferred to be in the field than sitting in a desk reading reports. But that didn’t stop the older man, and Seungcheol was in copy of many important emails that he had to check before the monthly board meeting.

That was the reason he had finally decided he needed a break and would be staying in Busan for another week. He had barely spent time with his grandmother and during the weekend there would be a beach festival he was interesting on going.

The last time he was in Busan, the beach festival was his last happy memory. It was his first time there, but his cousins had already visited a few times and convinced him to go. He was only 16 by then and his mother gave him permission just by looking at his puppy eyes.

Back then, he was really excited about the idea of the beach, ice cream and famous music bands distracting him from his worries. He had played beach volleyball, swam in the sea and laughed louder than he remembered in the past months.

He was enjoying his day when he suddenly realized he had lost his cousins. He looked around and saw families and groups of friends, but not even one familiar face. Seungcheol nor his cousins had a cellphone at that time, so he was debating with the idea of asking the police for help to return home. But his internal struggle was interrupted when he heard two loud laughs. He looked around and saw two guys around his age laughing and pushing each other in a friendly manner. Seungcheol wouldn’t have paid any more attention if the shorter one hadn’t turned to look at him.

Their gazes got locked for a moment, but even when the other turned around Seungcheol couldn’t stop looking at him. His jet black hair, which contrasted with his pale skin, moved slowly with the sea breeze; and his smiling face glowed with the setting sun in the background.

The two guys started walking towards one of the ice cream stands and Seungcheol followed them feeling entranced by the shorter male. The other probably felt his intense stare and turned to look over his shoulder for a moment before he returned to his conversation with the other guy.

Seungcheol was a friendly guy, but he was never good at flirting, he stuttered and made a fool of himself. So he decided to keep his distance and wondered if he could stay just long enough to hear the other’s melodious laugh once again.

But his thoughts were suddenly interrupted when he heard a shout.

“Jihoonie fighting!”

And all of a sudden, he saw the male addressed as Jihoonie walking towards him with a determined look on his face.

It happened so fast that all he could do was open his eyes wide before he saw the other male’s shy smile as he stood on the soles of his feet again. Seungcheol raised a hand to touch his lips, not believing his first kiss was stolen just like that. He still could feel the soft lips against his own and his heart racing in excitement.

The sun had already set and now Jihoon was shining under the lights of the festival, angelic as the first time Seungcheol had laid his eyes on him.

He wanted to say something and he was about to, when he felt a hand pulling his shoulder to turn him around and the face of his cousin appeared in front of him.

“Seungcheol we missed dinner, our moms are gonna kill us.”  He said rapidly before pulling Seungcheol by the arm farther and farther away from Jihoon.

And when he turned around to look for the other, he realized he had lost him in the middle of the crowd that was now admiring the fireworks in the night sky.

*************************************************************************************************************

Jihoon wasn’t expecting such a strike of inspiration by being in Busan, but just in the first week there he had started five songs and used his mother piano to play the melodies that couldn’t stop appearing in his mind. Maybe it was his late night walks by the beach or spending time with his family, but he felt really carefree.

Or maybe it was the endless conversations he had with Soonyoung after he sent the other the picture of the paper with “Things to do before moving to Japan”. It brought great memories of their teenage years and that beach festival where Jihoon gave his first kiss to a stranger.

Soonyoung had helped him remember many more things about that day. How his friend had told him he would probably dye his hair orange as soon as he arrived to Japan and just by imagining it they had started laughing. He had actually tried brown and red, but settled for blond for the last few years.

He could also remember how he turned around to look behind his shoulder and saw Seungcheol looking at him and how his friend had noticed that too. He would have never accepted if he wasn’t sure he was moving to Japan, but when Soonyoung dared him to fulfill all the things on their list, he accepted. What he wasn’t expecting was receiving such cheer from his friend, though embarrassing, it also gave him the boost to approach the taller guy and kiss him out of the blue.

But then he realized he hadn’t thought about what he was going to do after the kiss. He just looked up at the other with a shy smile deciding if he should run away or say something. But before he could do something, someone turned the other around and started pulling him away. And the only thing Jihoon got to hear was his name. The pair got lost in the sea of people and when the first firework exploded Jihoon jumped scared.

“Imagine if you could meet him again.” That was Soonyoung last message and Jihoon couldn’t deny the fluttery feeling inside his chest. Somehow that kiss scene felt like a teenage movie that Jihoon deemed incomplete. An almost forgotten memory that became more alive at the prospect of going to the Busan beach festival the next weekend. But his thoughts were suddenly interrupted when his phone started ringing and Mingyu’s name appeared as the caller.