Chapter 18

Now that you are here

Sorry for the late update >.< This chapter is all in Seungcheol's POV after he met Jihoon in the Han River festival.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seungcheol arrived to his apartment with a small smile on his face. Jihoon’s smile was life changing and the fact that it had been directed towards him was such an amazing thing. But he was still feeling bittersweet, because as soon as they stopped dancing, Jihoon started behaving cold and Seungcheol was scared Jihoon was putting a wall between them again.

But he still believed in the other and hopefully he would receive a message saying Jihoon wanted to eat dinner soon. And by that time he wanted to be sure things with Jeonghan would be over in the best way possible. The fact that Mr. Yoon was obviously annoyed by his presence in his house would not stop Seungcheol this time, and he would go look for Jeonghan and talk to him even if the other tried to avoid him again.

He felt nervous because he was sure things would not be easy after the break up. After being with Jeonghan for so long, many things were intertwined in their lives beyond their romantic relationship; the business relationship, their mutual friends, their parents’ social relationship. But what he was really scared of was Jeonghan’s hate, he had been one of his closest friends before they started dating and it would really hurt to see the other treating him like he never existed.

He wasn’t sure how long it had been since he sat on his sofa with his head hanging low and hurting from thinking of all the possible ways his conversation with Jeonghan could go, when the front door of his apartment opened, revealing a mortified Jeonghan.

Seungcheol looked up surprised because it had been a couple of weeks since the last time he saw him in the apartment.

“Jeong-.” He started, but he was suddenly interrupted by the other.

“You know I never wanted to rush things, but we need to get married now.” Jeonghan said with a serious expression.

Seungcheol opened his mouth, but no words were said. He was in shock and all his thoughts were mixed up. This was a complete reverse from what he was thinking of saying to the other.

Jeonghan had started pacing back and forth in the living room not looking at him, but with his fists tightly shut.

“I can’t believe he is doing this to me, Seungcheol.” The other started talking again, not bothering to ask for a reply to his last statement. “I thought it was a business dinner and suddenly I was there in a date with a Japanese investor that had a ring ready. My father-.”

“What are you talking about?!” Seungcheol wasn’t even sure how he had managed to say those words when he was still feeling in shock and more confused than ever.

“That we should get married now, because apparently my father does not understand that we are engaged! I don’t care about a big wedding….I just want…to be with you.” Jeonghan said the last words looking at him deeply and Seungcheol could hear the desperation in his voice.

And Seungcheol gulped, because he was about to crush any hope that their relationship could be saved.

“Jeonghan, I…actually I wanted to talk you because…” He took a deep breath and followed, not daring to look back at the other. “I’m sorry, I’m really sorry, but I can’t. I met-.”

He heard a ‘tsk’ sound making him look up and Jeonghan’s smirking face greeted him.

“Do you really think I don’t know? I have been really busy, but I’m not stupid.” Jeonghan’s eyes remained focused on Seungcheol, but his lips started quivering. “It’s fun, isn’t it? To be with a musician. It’s all exciting to hear him singing and playing music for you, feels like a magical moment.” He continued with his expression turning bitter. “But it will not last. He doesn’t care about his relationship or about you. He will not stay by your side or fight for you.”

Seungcheol felt like every sentence the other said was stabbing his chest. Like every special moment he thought he had shared with Jihoon was getting destroyed.

“Jeonghan, I-.”

“I told you I didn’t care what you did, I would fix it. And now I’m doing that! Because I always let you do whatever you wanted no matter the consequences. But I know this is a mistake! He will break your heart Seungcheol!...so please….please, marry me.” Jeonghan had started crying at this point, mixing shouting and sobbing leaving Seungcheol stunned.

But after a moment of just listening to Jeonghan’s sobs, Seungcheol stood up and hugged the other.

“Jeonghan, please calm down. I’m really sorry that things had turned out like this. I’m really sorry that I can’t marry you, the last thing I ever wanted was to hurt you like this, but I can’t be with you anymore. I-.” Seungcheol could feel the tears pooling in his eyes.

“Shut up!” Jeonghan pushed him away, anger showing in his face. “When we started dating I never thought I will have to fight with my father because you. I thought he would acknowledge you and this time things would be okay. But they are not! Because it’s been a long time since he told me I should break up with you and I fought with him because of that. But you don’t care! You don’t care about all the sacrifices I made for this relationship and you are leaving me for a fake dream.” Jeonghan was fully crying while he hit Seungcheol’s chest with his fists softly.

And Seungcheol felt his heart tearing apart because the last time he had seen Jeonghan crying that much was a long time ago. It hurt him to know he was the reason of the other’s tears and he wished things were different. He hated that they had to reach this point for Jeonghan to express his deepest thoughts. But at the same time he felt anger rising in his chest, because Jeonghan’s father was the main topic once again and because it seemed Jeonghan didn’t know of all those times Seungcheol had to shut his mouth up when he was being ridiculed by Mr. Yoon in front of his own father, and how he fought the people that said he was only using Jeonghan to make the Choi Company grow.

“Jeonghan, please don’t say it like that. I told you before that you didn’t have to fight alone, that I was also there to fight together for our relationship.” Seungcheol said feeling wronged.

“No…I just needed you to stay by my side patiently, just like I have been waiting for you to accept your position in your company and then things will be okay.” Jeonghan said wiping away his tears and walking towards the front door.

“Jeonghan, you know that’s not really what I want…” Seungcheol started saying, feeling confused and afraid the other would leave.

But Jeonghan just stood facing the wall beside the door, with his fists tightly shut against it and started mumbling words.

“Jeonghan…?” Seungcheol called his name softly when the other remained in the position for a few minutes. He had never seen the other act like that, he was feeling really concerned at this point.

He was about to approach the other when he was surprised by his now understandable words.

“If you could only do what I’m asking…. If you could return with me…then things would be okay…I came here for you…” Jeonghan continued still facing the wall.

Seungcheol stood in his place looking at the other in silence. It felt like Jeonghan was not even talking to him anymore.

“I fought with my father…”

Seungcheol sighed as he heard the other say those words. He wished he had been able to show Jeonghan he could also fight for their relationship in front of his father, but the other never gave him the chance.

“Jeonghan…” He said softly and started walking towards the other.

Jeonghan started mumbling words again and Seungcheol wasn’t sure if he should touch his shoulder, afraid of the other’s reaction. It was like the other was a ticking bomb ready to explode.

“I fought with him for us…” Jeonghan said not turning around, but Seungcheol knew he was crying again.

“Jeonghan, I’m sorry that you feel like that.” Seungcheol said feeling frustrated. “But this is not why-.”

“I fought with my father for us, Jisoo!” Jeonghan shouted turning around to face him with new tears falling over his cheeks.

And Seungcheol took a step back looking at him with his eyes wide open in shock.

He heard Jeonghan gasp before the other moved to the door trying to leave. But Seungcheol didn’t let him go and hugged him from behind, feeling the other trembling in his arms. Jeonghan kept trying to escape, but Seungcheol turned him around and hugged him against his chest. Jeonghan was weeping and Seungcheol just pressed him harder against his chest telling him soothing words.

The other felt so small against him and his tears were all over his shirt, but Seungcheol didn’t mind. It was like Jeonghan was finally letting go of the pain. A pain that he had been carrying for a long time and that went beyond his break up with Seungcheol.

Because Seungcheol remembered him, even when he hadn’t said his name or talked about him for many years.

 Jisoo…Hong Jisoo…

The person Jeonghan had introduced as “the love of his life” when they first met at 17 years old.