Chapter 19

Now that you are here

Hello~ I just want to thank you all once again for reading my story! This chapter is all in Jeonghan's POV and I think it's the longest chapter I have ever written hehe Hope you enjoy! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeonghan opened his eyes slowly and sighed. Just by looking at the ceiling, he noticed he wasn’t at his father’s house. He moved his face to the side, only to find out he was alone in the bed. He looked to the other side, finding his cellphone and wallet on the nightstand and he sighed again. The apartment was silent and he wasn’t sure if he wanted to meet Seungcheol outside of the room.

The last thing he could remember was crying in Seungcheol’s arms. He must have looked pathetic crying in the arms of the man that had just broken up their engagement and had fallen for someone else. And yet, Jeonghan tears were not only because of him, but for the person that had hurt him more than anyone had. Someone that Jeonghan had tried to erase from his mind and heart, but couldn’t even bury deep enough to stop hurting after all these years. He hadn’t pronounced his full name in years. He had even forbidden Seungcheol from saying it.

“Hong Jisoo….” He said barely audible as he looked at his reflection in the bathroom mirror.

He washed his face, hating how swollen his eyes looked and the dried tears on his cheeks. He felt all kind of mixed emotions, because the last time he had cried that much was because of Jisoo years ago.

However, it wasn’t like he wasn’t mad with Seungcheol or hurt by his actions. He couldn’t stop the feeling of betrayal after knowing Seungcheol had decided to spend his time and share his affection with someone else instead of him. Nonetheless, after seeing Seungcheol’s expression when he pronounced Jisoo’s name, he knew the other had noticed he had never been completely honest with him all these years.

That’s why even when Jeonghan wanted to hate Seungcheol for falling for someone else, he also felt sorry for the feelings he had kept for Jisoo that didn’t allow him to love Seungcheol as he deserved it. Because Seungcheol’s feelings had been honest when they started dating and with time Jeonghan had turned selfish thinking he had the other for good and had prioritized his job.

Jeonghan knew that since day one of their relationship Seungcheol had given him 100% of his heart, but even with all the love he had developed for the other, Seungcheol hadn’t been able to erase Jisoo’s memory from his heart.

But still, he wanted to protect Seungcheol, he didn’t deserve to get hurt like he had. Because heirs had different lives and reality than other people, no matter what dramas showed. For a normal person, it would be difficult to deal with that and mostly for a free spirited person, like a musician.

And he had learned that in the hard way; because Jisoo had chosen his dream to be a musician over him, over their future together.

They had met when Jeonghan had just turned fifteen and had decided he wanted to learn how to play guitar. He went to a music academy full of other heirs and children of famous people, but Jisoo was there as a prodigy. He got a scholarship there and was the best in his class. His mother was a high school teacher and his father was a journalist and they had moved back to Korea to take care of Jisoo’s grandmother.

Jeonghan’s excitement for his guitar lessons had disappeared when he realized he was really bad at it, but when the option to get help from Jisoo arrived, things changed completely. Jeonghan had been raised surrounded by rich people and normally he wouldn’t be too fond of middle class people, but Jisoo was always different. Jeonghan had always been a mischievous kid, but Jisoo instead of getting mad, always gave him a sweet smile that disarmed Jeonghan.

Eventually, he stopped going to the academy to learn, instead he stayed there listening to Jisoo singing and playing guitar or letting the other talk about his hometown. Jeonghan had been in Los Angeles before, but listening to Jisoo’s stories about his childhood there, made him want to visit it again and see the place as a local and not as a rich tourist.

Their friendship developed there, between the walls of the music academy, not being known by any of Jeonghan’s friends. And even when rumors started spreading about the reasons why Jisoo wanted to spend time with him, Jeonghan never cared, because the other never asked for anything else than his company. And he was happy, really happy to be able to talk with someone that wasn’t under the same pressure as him and that found bliss in simple things. He felt like he was in a dream every time he listened to Jisoo’s sweet voice singing his favorite songs.

A year later when they had moved their friendship outside the music academy and were walking down near Jisoo’s house, a neighborhood Jeonghan had never knew existed, the first snow of the year started falling and Jeonghan received his first kiss.

It was all happiness for him when they were together, but his father was completely opposed to their relationship. Jeonghan would tell his boyfriend that the reason of his father’s opposition was that he was afraid Jisoo would distract him from his studies or that he was worried the other put him in danger by taking Jeonghan to unsafe places. But he never said out loud that the reason was that Jisoo was a middle-class person. That’s why Jeonghan never wanted Jisoo to meet his parents or visit his house, he didn’t want the other to listen to his father’s words and get hurt by them.

He knew Jisoo was not only good at music, but at academics too, so he would surely enter a good university and Jeonghan would make sure they would work together in the management of the hotels. But his father kept pushing them apart and pressuring him, so Jeonghan decided to rebel and found his enjoyment in being a problematic kid at school. Jisoo had tried to discourage him, but with him studying in another school, he couldn’t stop his actions.

But with that things got more complicated and Jeonghan would avoid being at home and stayed with Jisoo. His friends were lukewarm in his support of their relationship, just like his mother, because they thought his relationship wouldn’t last. But then he met Seungcheol, an heir of a growing business, a new student fresh from Daegu.

Seungcheol wasn’t like any of his friends and Jeonghan decided to shelter him from all the harshness that the other heirs could put him through. Seungcheol was a good friend and totally supported him and Jisoo, even when he was usually the target of their jokes. And with his support, he calmed his rebellious acts and decided to focus on enjoying his friendship and his relationship.

He thought things couldn’t be better when he convinced Jisoo to apply for the same university and the three of them started going to classes together. University was a blast; he had his own place and barely visited his father’s house, his only responsibilities were getting good grades and attending whatever social event his family was invited to. He was forbidden from taking Jisoo, so he convinced Seungcheol to go with him most of the time, just like when they were in high school.

Years passed, but his father was still against them, so Jeonghan decided that he would prove to him that Jisoo could totally turn into an adequate partner for an heir, by graduating in business and becoming a manager. So he helped Jisoo in his studies and they would sneak in many of the Yoon hotels, so they could learn more about the business and well, other things too.

Jisoo made him happy and he thought he did the same for the other, so he was really shocked when the other told him he would be going to New York as an exchange student for a semester. But Jeonghan couldn’t say no, because that experience surely would be appreciated by his father and maybe when he returned, Jeonghan could finally introduced him as his boyfriend in the hotel events without being criticized or having Jisoo stopped by the entrance for not being in the guest list.

Four months Jeonghan waited for him, receiving calls and messages, believing their relationship would last after being together for almost five years, but when Jisoo suddenly stopped communicating with him, Jeonghan started worrying. His parents said he was okay, that they had received a call from him a few days ago, but Jeonghan hadn’t been able to reach him for almost two weeks.  So he decided to take action and booked the first flight to New York he could find.

But things over there were not like Jeonghan expected.

“Hi…Mmmm…You must be Jeonghan, right?” The guy that Jisoo had once introduced as his roommate greeted him when he opened the door.

Jeonghan nodded, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the time difference and the rush of looking for Jisoo’s dorm.

“Is Jisoo…mmm..Joshua here?” He asked with voice full of worry.

“Oh, I thought he told you….”Jeonghan looked at the other confused. “He quit uni and moved to L.A., and oh, he changed his phone number. Let me get it for you.”  He other said entering the room and leaving the door opened, revealing what once used to be Jisoo’s bed that was now empty.

And after receiving the phone number and the name of a club in which Jisoo’s band played, he booked a flight to L.A., ready to receive some answers as Jisoo wouldn’t even answer his calls in his new phone.

 And he got even more shocked in Los Angeles, because the club was nothing like he expected. He was used to clubbing in fancy places and staying in the VIP area, but this seemed to be an underground club full of people with atrocious clothes. He received pointed looks from the clubbers as soon as he entered the place, but it seemed like it was his only chance to see Jisoo.

And he saw him there with his band playing on stage. Long gone were his usual wool sweaters and sneakers, instead he was wearing a leather jacket and combat boots. He was playing his guitar skillfully as always and had a smile on his face. The music was just like the type Jisoo liked and Jeonghan hated, but he still stayed through all the show watching his boyfriend playing.

And he almost missed him when the band went down the stage as many fans surrounded them. But then Jisoo turned around and saw him, and he opened his arms expecting Jeonghan’s hug.

“Jeonghan! Can’t believe you are here!” Jisoo said smiling and Jeonghan kissed him.

He had so many questions in his mind, but knowing he was finally in the other’s embrace he couldn’t help himself.

“I missed you. And you suddenly stopped contacting me, I got worried.” Jeonghan said caressing the other’s face.

“Mmm..yeah…I got a change of plans…” Jisoo started, but then his band members called him and he just pulled Jeonghan with him to the backstage. In there he got to know the other members and they all seemed like good people, but he really wanted to have a moment alone with Jisoo.

‘Why did you quit university in New York? , ‘Do your parents know?, ‘Until when you are staying here?’ ‘Why didn’t you tell me?’

Jeonghan kept asking those questions while he felt trapped in the tiny apartment Jisoo shared with his band members.  The other seemed to be avoiding any conversation about returning to Korea and if he was not practicing with the band, he would always distract Jeonghan with kisses and more.  

“Jisoo, it’s been two weeks already. We need to return so I can take my finals.” Jeonghan said lying in bed with Jisoo’s arms around his waist.

“Do you really need to go? We will play in a bigger venue in three days and maybe we can finally be scouted by a record label.” The other said kissing his head.

“Jisoo, you can’t keep living like this, what about university?” Jeonghan asked confused, this wasn’t in their well-crafted plans.

“Well…Maybe you can transfer here.” Jisoo said yawning.

Jeonghan just stayed silent looking at the other’s closed eyes. It was like they were having two different conversations. Jisoo never included himself in the idea of returning to Korea or returning to university. This wasn’t like him, Jisoo had agreed in studying business and then working together in the hotel management after they graduated.

How could he deal with his parents if he told them that his boyfriend had suddenly decided to drop university and was playing in music clubs? He already had a hard time avoiding his parents’ calls and he had just let Seungcheol know he was doing okay. But he wasn’t even sure of that, because as much as he loved spending time with Jisoo, the other’s apartment and neighborhood were horrible and he felt like an outcast every time he accompanied the band to their gigs.

“Jisoo, we really need to talk.” He practically begged when they arrived to the backstage.

But Jisoo just hugged him and then lifted him up laughing as his other friends shouted in excitement. They had finished their presentation and the response from the crowd had been outstanding, but Jeonghan had only been focused on how to finally confront Jisoo.

So when the band decided to go eat something, Jeonghan grabbed Jisoo’s arm and forced him to stay. The tension between them had been growing in the last few days and even when Jeonghan had insisted, Jisoo had refused to talk.

“Jisoo, I need to return, but I will help you with the paperwork so you can start the next semester without problems.”

“What? Jeonghan I’m not going back. I’m sure we will be scouted after this gig, did you see the crowd? They were going crazy!” Jisoo said finishing with a big smile.

“Then what about us? What about our plans?” Jeonghan said feeling betrayed.

“We can change our plans. Aren’t you happy here with me? You can go to university here if you want, or you can do whatever you want. Let’s forget about your father -.”

“I can’t do that. I can’t just drop everything and stay in your crappy apartment.” Jeonghan said anger showing in his face.

“I know it’s not your ideal house, after all you are a rich kid, but you have to believe in me. I know my band can make it!”’

Jeonghan heard his words, but his mind got stuck in the words ‘rich kid’. Jisoo had never said anything remotely similar to that and even when he knew Jeonghan could spend as much as he wanted, Jisoo would also invite him to the movies and to eat. He never made Jeonghan felt just like a ‘rich kid’.

“Jeonghan? Are you listening to me? This is my dream, not being a boring manager.” Jeonghan was even more shocked after listening to those words.

“But-but we agreed on working together in the Yoon hotels after graduation. You promised me, Jisoo. And you don’t have to drop music completely; you can still play as a hobby or in the events. Yes, the events will be a good place to show others your talent. You were doing so well in your classes; you don’t want to waste your effort, right? ” Jeonghan knew he sounded desperate.

“I didn’t have a choice before, but now I do. You know my parents pressured me to go to university. And you…you did it too.” Jisoo finished looking down.

“I did it because that’s the only chance for us to be accepted! You know my parents-.” Jeonghan started, but got shocked when Jisoo suddenly cut him.

“Really Jeonghan?! You never dared to introduce me properly to your parents! Were you waiting for me to turn into the person your father was expecting so I could finally eat dinner with them?!”

Jeonghan didn’t know what to say after listening to the other’s words. Jisoo had never shouted at him before and after avoiding talking about the university and returning to Korea for weeks, the other seemed to be letting all out in rage.

“Jisoo no, just listen to me….I-.”

“I listened to you all these years. Now listen to me!”

Jeonghan listened to the other talking about how bad he felt when he took Seungcheol to the events instead of him.  How Jeonghan’s other friends would left him out of their conversations. How he always felt like he wasn’t enough and how he was tired of pretending everything was okay when it was not. And he was tired of following Jeonghan’s instructions; because all his efforts to fit in would only be valid if he received Mr. Yoon’s approval, while Jeonghan just kept enjoying his life as a rich kid.

“It’s like he is the only one that matters, not me, not my opinion! Like I’m a shame and you will never dare to stand proud beside me until I can fit your lifestyle. I have been doing all these things for you, but it’s like you can’t even dare to fight for us.”

Jeonghan could feel the tears falling in his cheeks while listening to the other’s words.

“When we return, my father-.”

“Just stop! I’m tired of trying to prove myself to him, tired of fighting alone for this…If you are planning to return; I’m giving up on us.” Jisoo said glaring at him.

Jeonghan opened his mouth so say something, but he couldn’t find the words.

Jisoo stayed silent for a moment too, before he turned around and walked towards the door.

Jeonghan looked at him as more tears fell from his eyes, but no words left his mouth, even when there were so many things he wanted to say like,

‘I came here for you’, ‘please return with me’, ‘say things will be okay’

 ‘I love you’

“Goodbye Jeonghan.” Jisoo said with a serious tone and barely looking at him over his shoulder.

He opened the door and the noise from the club entered the backstage room waking up Jeonghan from his stupor and just then, the words he should have said to Jisoo’s face left his mouth.

“I have been fighting too…I fought with my father for us, Jisoo.” Jeonghan said softly, but the door was already closed.