Betrothal Announcement

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 34

Betrothal Announcement

The day of Zhang Weimin's funeral ceremony came. The Zhang residence will be fill with guests coming to pay their respect. Ziyuan came to the resident early, intending to have a talk with the Zhang sisters. Meiyin wasn't around so he requested a private talk with Yueyin. He told her that the emperor wanted to honor her father's sacrifice and also wanted to help her father take good care of her and her sister.

"I want to be able to be there for you and your sister, but I'm afraid that I will not be able to do a good job of caring for the two of you as I'm always away from home. I also cannot entrust the two of you to the others in our clans. With all the options available, I had thought that the Emperor's intention was the best choice for both of your future," he explained.

"Uncle, I… I understand that you worry for us. However, is it not possible for my sister and I to just stay like this?" Yueyin really doesn't want to deal with this matter right now. She was tired both physically and emotionally. She just wanted this day to be over with.

"Nonsense! How can unmarried girls stay in a residence without a master?! The only exception is if you're betroth to someone. Yueyin, think about this carefully. I know you aren't in the mood to discuss about your future right now, but think carefully about this. Marrying the Crown Prince is your only ticket to stay in the imperial palace and look into the assassination incident that caused your father's death," Ziyuan said and smile a little as he saw a little spark in his niece's eyes.

"Aren't you and the Emperor looking into it?" she asked.

"Of course we are, but the Emperor and I will not be able to find the truth. The imperial palace might seem peaceful on the surface, but beneath it is a maze of secrets and darkness that even the Emperor can't figure out. As for me, I have limited access to the inner palace so it's difficult for me to look deeper. The imperial garden was within the inner palace. To allow access for the assassins to the inner palace, the person behind it must have significance influence from within. The only way we can dig for the truth and avenge your father is for you to enter the inner palace and become the future Empress."

"Becoming the future Empress?" she widens her eyes at what he said.

---

The Zhang sisters welcome the people who came to pay their respect to the late Weimin. A lot of court officials and generals came because they wanted to look good in the emperor's eyes. Both Yueyin and Meiyin knew that only a few of them, who were their father's close friends, were truly here to pay their respect. Among them was judge Wei, one of their father's best friends. He comforted the two of them and told them that should they ever need him, he will do his best to help them.

Emperor Taizao arrived later. Everyone knelt down and bow to him in greetings but he quickly dismisses it. No one actually expected that the emperor would personally come to any of his subjects' funeral to pay his respect, let alone having the emperor actually bow and light incense for the deceased. With Taizao's actions, everyone can tell how favored the Zhang family is. Though they were already aware of the special relationship between the Zhang family and the royal family, but it was never out there in the open like it is now. In front of everyone, Taizao promoted Weimin to first rank court official and announce the betrothal of Yueyin to the crown prince.

Needless to say, this betrothal announcement surprises everyone big time. The Zhang sisters knelt down and thank the emperor for his kindness. No one knew that Taizao had actually arrived after Ziyuan and before the other guests. Taizao had already spoke with the Zhang sisters before making the announcement. Yueyin had agreed to be betroth to Yifan, but she ask that she is allowed to make the crown prince wait three years since her father had just pass. She wanted to fulfill her filial piety duties for him. Ziyuan warned Yueyin to not be rude towards the emperor's kindness but she told him that it was her duty as a daughter. Taizao was very satisfy with Yueyin's character now that he met her in person. He agrees that it's the proper thing for her to do. Although he agreed for her to hold off the wedding until three years later, but he did not accept her request to continue to stay in the Zhang residence. She must enter the palace as she will be announced as the princess consort for the crown prince. It will be too dangerous for her to live outside of the palace for those three years. Yueyin had thought about it and agreed to move into the inner palace after the funeral process for her father is over.

As for Meiyin, Taizao offered to have her betroth to Yixing. However, she had asked the emperor if he could give her more time to think it through. Taizao had promised her that she can make her own decision and he will not force her if it's not what she wishes. He also promised that whether or not she'll be married into the royal family, she'll always have special permission to come and go in the inner palace to visit her sister.

---

After the funeral ceremony, Meiyin had asked Xiaolan to send words to Master Wong that she will not be able to come to practice for awhile. She also apologizes about the cancellation of her father's visit. Upon receiving the news, Master Wong went to Tao's house and informed both Tao and Madame Huang. When he learned of what happened, Tao ran to the Zhang residence to look for Meiyin. He can see that no one in the residence was in the mood to welcome guest so he asked for Ruyi. Ruyi said that she has been busy helping out with the cleanup after the ceremony, so she hasn’t seen Meiyin around. Ruyi went to check with Xiaolan and Madame Lin but neither of them saw Meiyin either. Tao thanked Ruyi for the information and left the Zhang's residence. He ran out of the city to the river in the forest where Meiyin once told him that it was her favorite spot to relax at.

When he arrived, he could see her small figure curling in on itself by the river. He made his way over and sat down next to her. She lifted her head to see who it was and Tao can guess how long she has been here crying all by herself. Usually he wouldn't know what to do when he sees a girl, much less a crying girl. However, for some reason right now he felt the need to reach out and pull her in a hug and let her cry in his arms. He had never felt the urge to protect someone as strong as this before. Aside from his mother and his master, Tao didn't think there would be a day when he would willingly sacrifice his life for another person. But right now, in this moment, Tao swore that he’s willing to do anything to protect the crying Meiyin in his arms. 

He continues to comfort her as she cries. Between crying breaths, she told him of her pain from losing her father, of her fear of losing her sister, of her worries about the changes that will happen to her life.

"Tao dage, the Emperor… he wanted to marry me to the Third Royal Prince…" she looks up at him and he gently wipe away the tears that are still flowing out from her beautiful eyes. She told him she doesn't want to think about it and also doesn't know what to think about it. Tao knew he wanted to protect her and care for her, but he doesn't know if it's the instinct of a senior brother towards a junior sister, or if it's the feelings of something else. Since he was still confused with his own feeling for her, he doesn't know what to say.

"Do what will make you happy," was what he told her.

Meiyin found a different kind of comfort in Tao's embrace that she hadn't felt before. She had never been this close with any boy and she knew that she like Tao more than a friend. Her feelings for him isn't that of love yet but she cares for him. Right now, being in his protective arms was the only place she wanted to be. This moment with Tao helped her made up her mind in turning down the emperor's offer. She would rather pursue this unknown feeling than to try it from the start with someone new. 

The next day, Meiyin requested an audience with the emperor to tell him of her decision. She half expected him to be angry with her because after all no one really dared to say no to the emperor. However, he simply asks her what her plans were and she told him that she wanted to pursue her own future to find the person she wholeheartedly wants to spend the rest of her life with. He told her that he will respect her decision, however, he hope that she will still accept the betrothal with the third prince. He truly wants to take good care of her and Yueyin in place of their father. He was very happy that Yueyin accepted the offer but now that Meiyin turn it down, he worries for her. He hopes she can treat the betrothal as a protection charm and uses it to achieve what she needs. If one day she found her own love interest, he will personally dissolve the betrothal and grant her his royal blessings for her marriage with the one she chooses.

---

News of the betrothal spread like wildfire. As soon as it reaches Ziyi's ears, she fumed with anger. She quickly went to see the emperor to protest the betrothal between Yueyin and Yifan.

"Your Majesty, I've already made the final selection for Yifan's Princess Consort. Although it isn't officially announced yet, but she has already gone through the proper selection process. Whereas this Zhang Yueyin wasn't even on the list of chosen candidates. She can't just come out of nowhere to take the position! Yifan is the Crown Prince so his Princess Consort will become the future Empress. For Yifan's and the empire's future, we can't allow a nobody like Zhang Yueyin to become the Princess Consort. Your Majesty, please withdraw the decree for the betrothal!"

Taizao slams the report he was holding on the table. He glares at the woman that is standing tall and proud in front of him. He had hope that she, as his empress, would stand on his side. She was there from the beginning and should have known of his close relationship with the Zhang brothers. Perhaps, she's putting that aside to think for the future of the empire as its current empress. However, this is something he must see through. For Weimin and for his own peace of mind.

"My decision is final. That candidate you've selected for Yifan can become his Consort," he said.

"Your Majesty, I know you feel bad for Zhang Weimin's daughters and wanted to take care of them. If the goal was just for them to marry into the royal family, then you can marry them to the other Princes. I give my full blessings to the betrothal between Zhang Meiyin and Yixing. However, the one with Yifan cannot happen! As the future Emperor, Yifan needs an Empress who can properly aid him. Your Majesty, you have four other Princes to choose from for your goal. If age is the issue, Luhan will be the perfect match for Zhang Yueyin. Please reconsider!" Ziyi continues to reason with Taizao.

"Zhang Yueyin is Weimin's daughter. I'm sure she will become a great Empress for Yifan," Taizao said as he picks up the report he slams down earlier.

"How can your trust in Zhang Weimin be so great that you're willing to sacrifice your own son's and the empire's future to a little girl that you don't even know anything about?" she questions him. She was not willing to back down. She must protect her son's future. If she allows this betrothal to happen, everything she had done for Yifan will have been all for nothing.

Taizao continues to look at the report in his hand, "If Yifan is a strong Emperor, then no matter who his Empress is, he should still be able to rule his own empire. If the empire falls, then it is on him for being too weak. Instead of questioning my decision, you should focus on educating your son so he can become the kind of Emperor that doesn't need to depend on his Empress' backings!"

Xiaoming can sense the tension in the air between Ziyi and Taizao growing heavier. She nudges her master, hoping Ziyi will understand to back off now before things become worse. Ziyi herself knows that she should stop now, but she doesn't want to back off. This is a battle she must win.

"I don't understand this decision of yours. Why must it be Yifan?! If this Zhang Yueyin is so great why don't you grant her to someone else?! Luhan is also a great option for her, why don't you grant this betrothal to him?!" she questions him loudly.

"Empress! Watch your attitude!" Taizao threw the report angrily and it landed on the ground in front of Ziyi's feet. Xiaoming and the other servants in the room immediately kneel down in front of the emperor's anger.

"Yifan is our son! If you aren't willing to care for his future then I will! This betrothal cannot happen, if you want to take care of Zhang Yueyin then send her to Luhan!"

Taizao in a deep angry breath and decide that this wasn't worth his time. Even if it wasn't Zhang Yueyin, he knew Ziyi would still not accept anyone else as Yifan's princess consort. All these years, he isn't blind to the things she has done to help solidify Yifan's position as the crown prince and future emperor. She was after the clan's backing of the future empress to bring stronger support for her son. But Yifan is his son too and he trust greatly in Yifan's capabilities. He wouldn't have allowed Yifan to continue being the crown prince if he doesn't trust that Yifan can handle the responsibilities as an emperor without needing the support of an empress' clans. Allowing an empress and her clan to hold too much power over an emperor isn't something wise, and he hope Yifan will not have to face that situation.

"I've already told you. My decision is final. Also, Luhan does not wish to marry yet so I will find a different match for him," Taizao said. He doesn't see the need to confront Ziyi's greed for her son's future. It is after all an understandable thing that all mothers do.

Ziyi laugh out loud at what Taizao said, "How bias could you be, Your Majesty? You allow your favored son to choose when to get marry but forces your other sons into an unwanted marriage!"

"Ziyi, I do not favor any son over another. I allow Luhan to make his own decisions because I owe it to his mother. I had promised Yinhua that I'll let Luhan walk the path he chooses as long as it does not cause conflicts between him and his brothers. Let's make this clear, it's not that I'm not giving Yifan a choice. I simply said that Zhang Yueyin is to be wedded to the Crown Prince. She is the future Empress that I've chosen so in order to marry the Empress, the person must be the Crown Prince and then the Emperor. Both you and Yifan can choose between becoming the future Emperor or to not marry Yueyin. Once you've made up your mind, send someone to let me know," Taizao said then left the room.

Ziyi fell to the floor crying in anger and disbelief, "How could someone be dead and still haunts my life like this?!" Xiaoming quickly rush over to her to help her up but Ziyi pushes Xiaoming's hands away. "Why is it that His Majesty never looks at me the way he looks at Yinhua? Even now he's bias towards her child instead of mine!"

Xiaoming hands Ziyi a handkerchief to wipe her tears, "Your Majesty, please don't be too sadden. It's just a betrothal and isn't official marriage yet. We still have time to turn things around. You are the Empress and the inner palace is your domain. Whether that Zhang Yueyin will survive till the day of the Crown Prince's coronation or not is still a question."

---

"Jie, I don't understand why you accepted the Emperor's offer," Meiyin said as she helps Yueyin sort through her closet, "Father would've wanted you to marry someone you love and not someone you haven't even met."

Yueyin catches a dress Meiyin toss to her and start folding it. Not hearing an answer from her sister, Meiyin turn around to look at Yueyin. "Are you going through with it for some special reason? If your betrothal was to a different Prince, I would have guessed that it's for the same reason as me. But it's the betrothal with the Crown Prince! I had thought that you would have turn down the offer the moment you heard it."

Yueyin let out a sigh. She doesn't want to involve her little sister but it is so hard to lie to her face, “Don't overthink it. I am grateful to the Emperor's kindness so I'm happy with whichever Prince he offers. Getting protection from the royal family will be beneficial to us, especially when the other clan's elders start coming after the clan's head position. Also, it's not someone I haven't met. We've met at the Flower Viewing event didn't we?"

"Whichever Prince? Jie, this is the Crown Prince we're talking about. Are you pretending to not know what that would mean for your future? And how can that even be call a meeting? At the event, when the Emperor and the Princes arrived everyone crowd up around them. We were standing so far behind the crowd that we can't even make out what their faces were like. If it wasn't for the Princess, we wouldn't have ever gotten to know what the Second and Third Royal Princes look like."

Yueyin picks up another dress and fold it, "That's why I proposed to hold off the wedding for three years. One, it's so I can honor our Father. Two, it's so that the Crown Prince and I can use that time to get to know each other better. Three, I want to have some time before the official wedding to help Uncle Ziyuan win the clan's head position. Such power is better in his hands than in the other elders' hands, and I'm sure that's what Father would have wanted. Fourth, this residence is now without a proper master. Some of the elders in our clan might forcefully take over it. A lot of our housemaids and houseworkers had been working here for a long time. Some of them had already express their worries and unwillingness to leave here to look for a different place. Meimei, no matter where we go, this is our home. My affiliation with the royal family will grant me the power to protect our home and the people in it."

Meiyin stares at her sister speechlessly as she speaks and then let out a sigh when she finishes. "You… you're the one that thinks too much. Can't you just think for yourself first before worrying about everything and everyone else?" she sits down next to her sister and pull her in for a hug, "Jie, you're not alone. You have me. I will be by your side and help you with everything that you want to do."

Yueyin smile at her sister, "Well, right now I need you to help me finish packing. Since I'll be leaving for the palace in a few days, I want to make sure everything in the residence is sorted out before then."

"I'm so glad that I don't have to move into the inner palace since my fake betrothal is to a Prince that doesn't trouble anyone," Meiyin said before standing up and start tossing dresses after dresses at Yueyin.

"Meiyin, these needs to be folded first! Slow down!"

---

Qin Chunhua was extremely unhappy with the betrothal news of the Zhang sisters. She was the candidate that the empress has chosen. How can they just waltz in and take away what's suppose to be hers. She complains and cry to her father and Qin Guozhi told her that he will protest with the emperor. He told her that he had spent a lot of money and uses a lot of connections to get her to become the top candidate for the princess consort position. He will not allow all that effort to go to waste. He wants his daughter to become the future empress and bring honor to the Qin clan.

Qin Guozhi lead his followers during the court meeting to collectively protest to the emperor about the betrothal. He had thought that the emperor will be pressure into at least postponing the betrothal but things didn't go as he had hope. Emperor Taizao was extremely angry with Qin Guozhi and the other officials that followed him. Taizao punish them with thirty whips each for daring to question his decision for personal gain. He then loudly announces to the entire court that Zhang Yueyin is to become the princess consort, any further protest or objection will be view as disloyalty to the royal family and they'll be punished severely.

---

Chanyeol was on his way to meet Sehun. He passes by the royal staples and saw Jongin feeding the horses. He went over to greet him and the first prince greeted him back.

"Hey, Chanyeol. What are you doing here?" Jongin asked.

"The King had summoned me so I was on my way there," Chanyeol could see Jongin's expression sadden the moment Sehun was mentioned. "Has the two of you gotten a chance to meet and talk with each other since the late Queen's funeral?"

Jongin shook his head, "He's a newly crowned King. There's a lot of things he needs to take care of. Besides, even if we meet… there probably isn't anything that we can say to each other anyway. Perhaps it's better not to meet like this."

Chanyeol nodded in understanding. He isn't the type that's good with words. He doesn't know how to comfort a person to make them feel better. After bidding Jongin farewell, he continues his way to Sehun's palace. When he was nearing the place, he saw Baekhyun leaving. He stared at the advisor's leaving back for a minute before going closer to Sehun's work room. Outside of the room were several officials, they seem to be gossiping about something as they huddle together. Chanyeol hadn't meant to care or listening in but they were standing in his way so he overheard what they were saying. These officials were badmouthing Baekhyun and accusing him of abusing his power as the young king's personal advisor. They were saying all kinds of bad things about the advisor. This must be from jealousy due to how closely Baekhyun work with Sehun and the amount of times he had to frequent Sehun's private work room.

Baekhyun had been Sehun's personal advisor since Sehun had just started his crown prince duties. There's no one else that Sehun would trust more than Baekhyun so he treats the advisor very well. Due to their close relationship, Baekhyun was due to face jealousy problems with the other subjects of Sehun. Chanyeol knows that Baekhyun is aware of these gossips and rumors that are aiming to discredit and defamed him. However, the advisor doesn't pay it any attention. He's too busy helping Sehun to research, implement and manage all kinds of problems since Sehun's coronation.

Chanyeol makes his way over to the gossiping officials and uses his height to tower over them threateningly. "The King's personal advisor isn't someone for you people to gossip about," he sends each of them a death glare, "If I ever catches you lot doing this again, I will cut off your tonged in place of His Majesty."

Those officials were so scared of Chanyeol that they quickly bow up and down apologizing and promising to never gossip again. Unbeknown to them all, Baekhyun was standing behind a corner not too far away and witnessed everything. He had already left and as he was leaving, he can hear those officials whispering about him. He just ignores them and left as he had urgent business to take care of for Sehun. He wasn't far away when he realized that he had forgotten some documents on Sehun's desk, so he quickly rushes back to get it. He hadn't expected to see the scene before him so he quickly hide himself behind the corner. Watching Chanyeol threatening the officials brings back old memories for Baekhyun. Memory of the time when the two of them were still best friends. Chanyeol had always been a quiet kid. Being taller and bigger than other kids his age had turned Chanyeol into a bullying target. He often just walks away from it but one time the other kids would not let him get away. If it hadn't been for Baekhyun rushing in and chase away those kids, Chanyeol might have let them beat him up. Ever since then the two of them became best friends and was always together. If it wasn't because of what happened several years later, perhaps they would still have remained friends now.

He watches as those officials scram away and Chanyeol enter Sehun's room. "With this… I guess we're completely even now. There'll be no more need for any debts and lingering feelings for that old friendship anymore. All that's left between us is my pure hatred for you," Baekhyun said to himself. Since Chanyeol is inside, Baekhyun decided to leave instead of picking up the documents that he needs on Sehun's desk.

 


Author's Notes:

Ah… so much sadness in the last few chapters. I gotta pick the mood back up soon.

Here’s a little more revelation of Chan’s & Baek’s relationship. Can you guess what happened between them?