His Last Words

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 32

His Last Words

"Your Majesty, Official Zhang has arrived," the eunuch notifies the emperor who has his full attention on one of the many reports.

"Send him in," Taizao said without looking up from the report he’s reading. The eunuch went to open the door to invite official Zhang inside.

"Greetings, Your Majesty," Weimin got on his knees and bow down to the emperor.

"At ease," Taizao said.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Weimin stood up. He has been wondering what the emperor summoned him for, there was no current issues that the emperor would require his aid. He still has to finish up all the little tasks that the emperor has assigned him. He looks up at Taizao and then decided to just stand still and wait for the emperor's orders.

Taizao sighs as he put down the report in his hand, "If I don't summon you, are you planning on never coming into the palace again?"

So this was the reason the emperor got angry and punish him with tons of work for. "Your Majesty, I do believe that I've been diligently attending the court meetings."

"With the kind of relationship between our two family, you think that amount of interaction is sufficient?"

"Your Majesty, you should not be playing favorites."

"Is it even possible to not play favorite with the kind of history between our Fathers?" Taizao stood up from his throne and make his way down towards Weimin.

"Emperor Jianyu had indeed given my Father and our family many special treatments. You, yourself has also given my brother and I more privileges than we deserve," Weimin gave a slight bow to the emperor as he reaches where Weimin is standing, "I beg your pardon Your Majesty, but I believe that favoritism should stop since the passing of both our Fathers. Our family cannot become a weak link to you."

"Weimin, both Royal Father and I know that your family deserves more than what we've given you," he looks at the throne he was sitting in, "Growing up, the one thing that he has always repeatedly taught my brothers and I was exactly that. He was a man of his words, the debt the royal family owes to the Zhang family will forever be etch in our hearts." He looks back over at Weimin, "That very throne that Royal Father and I have sat, we both know which family it should have belong to…"

"Your Majesty, please do not ever say such things again," Weimin cut off Taizao, "For all that I have been taught by my Father, there is no such debts between our two families. My Father was not the only one whom have played a big part in the rebellion against the former dynasty. Emperor Jianyu had done just as much if not more. The rebellion was done under his name and the people have gather under his leadership." Weimin gave Taizao another slight bow, "Your Majesty, my Father and all those whom followed the former Emperor at the time, all believed in his capabilities and that he deserves that throne more than anyone. He had the making of a ruler."

"So did your Father," Taizao sigh, "Royal Father often recount tales of Prime Minister Zhang and how he had aided him in the rebellion and bringing peace to the empire. I have viewed him as a hero and wishes nothing more than to one day learn directly from him. However, after Royal Father passed away, the Prime Minister retires from his position and move your whole family far away, then he also passed away… in some unknown land, never once gave me a chance to pay my respects or the debts my family owes."

Seeing that Taizao was going down painful memory lanes, Weimin speak up "Your Majesty…"

Taizao cuts him off, "Drop the formalities, Weimin. Had it not been for Yinhua and Ziyi, I would not have had the chance to see you and Ziyuan again. Even if we were to forget about my Father's debt, I've still yet to pay the debt I've owe to the both of you."

"Your Maj…" Weimin begins out of habit, but stop himself and sigh after Taizao glares at him in warning to drop formalities, "As I've told you many times, there is no debts to be pay. Aiding you when you need us is part of our duties as your citizens. Also, have you not already given us enough? You've made Ziyuan a high rank general and even gave a normal scholar like myself a court official position, even granting our family name royal honors."

"Ziyuan's rank was not something I've granted, it was something he earned for all the blood and sweat she shed for this empire on the battlefield. The royal honors were granted on behalf of Royal Father. Prime Minister Zhang had always refused it so Royal Father did not want to be forceful in fear of him leaving. And you…" Taizao scowls at Weimin, "Just which part of you is a normal scholar?"

"Since I can drop formalities, I would like to say I am offended."

Taizao laugh, "I meant it in a good way." He motions for the eunuch to open the door, "All of those war strategies and solutions for state affairs you came up with could only be from you, other scholars and court officials will never be capable of such feats." He walks out of the room and making his way towards the imperial garden. Weimin follow behind him and a few steps further behind the two of them is a trail of eunuchs, maids and guards. Taizao pull Weimin up so that the two of them is walking side by side, "Out of the two Zhang brothers, you are like Prime Minister Zhang the most."

"Is it in terms of my stubbornness, Your Majesty?" Weimin smiles to himself, remembering all the time his mother had commented the same.

"Ah, so you do know your own problem," Taizao smiles, "I wanted to give you a higher rank position but just like your father, you keep turning me down. If Yinhua had not been a good negotiator, you didn't even want to accept this low ranking official position. Royal Father told me that he had to blackmail your father in order for him to accept the Prime Minister position."

"Emperor Jianyu is indeed a great man, he's perhaps the only one aside from my Mother who's capable of blackmailing my Father."

"If only you would just easily accept all the things I grant to you like your brother I would have one less reason for a headache."

"I hope your reason for punishing me and summoning me today is not simply to pour out the frustration you have over my stubbornness."

"You make it sounds like it is not a legit reason for punishing and summoning someone."

"Your Majesty, you could just simply admit that you miss this old soul"

Taizao laugh loudly at Weimin's comment, "You know I would rather die ten times over before admitting that." They turned a corner and both can see the garden in the distance. "However, I do have to admit that I misses the times when we were young. Do you remember when you, Ziyuan and I used to play in that garden?"

"Of course, Your Majesty," Weimin looks at the garden a bit further from them and smile as all the fond memories of their youth returns.

"You were closer and nicer to me than any of my brothers were. I was angry when you first turned down my plead for help. Thinking back, I don't see why I was so angry. You didn't owe me anything and I had no right to use my position as emperor to force you to break your promise with your mother. You must have been angry and disappointed with my foolishness back then too."

"Your Majesty, I was not angry with you but was struggling with myself over my desire to help you and keeping my promise with my Mother." They made it to the garden entrance and continue their way through the garden, heading for the pavilion in the center of the garden. "I hope you do not continue to blame yourself. If you do see me as an older brother, please listen to my advice. It's better to look back on the past and recall fond memories rather than all the regrettable things we had no control over."

"If I start thinking the same way as you then I am truly getting old."

"Once again, I am offended."

The two of them laugh and talk as they continue their way towards the pavilion. As they near the pavilion, suddenly three figures dressed in black clothing jumps out at them, swords in hands, aiming for Taizao.

"Assassins!!" the eunuch nearest the emperor yell loudly, "Protect the Emperor!" As he was yelling, the guards and eunuchs that was walking behind them rush forward and surround Taizao and Weimin. The guards were busy fighting off the assassins, and the eunuchs tries to get Taizao and Weimin to retreat to a safe place away from the assassins. "Guards!! Guards!!" the eunuch yell as loud as he can, calling for more guards to come to their aid as he watches in horror the three assassins killing of most of the guards that were present. The junior eunuchs look around expecting to see more guards come running to protect the emperor and them. As they continue to retreat towards the garden's exit, the three assassins finish off all the guards presented and is heading towards them at top speed.

The guards were no match for the three assassins, needless to say the eunuchs who had no knoledge of martial arts were useless in defending against the assassins. They could only use their bodies as shields for the emperor. The three assassins caught up to them and start killing off the eunuchs. Taizao was about to face them but Weimin took his hand and run, pulling him along towards the garden's exit.

"Weimin, we can't keep running!" Taizao yell loudly at Weimin as they run.

"Your Majesty, we have no weapons and now we're out numbered!" Weimin yells back, "Please keep running, more guards should be coming! We just need to make it to the exit!"

The two of them continues running, they were nearing the exit. But before they could go through it, Weimin look behind them and saw one of the assassins closing in. The assassin jumps the few final steps towards them, aiming his sword at Taizao, ready to strike as he lands. At that moment, Taizao looks back and before he could react, Weimin move and push him out of the way. It was too late for Weimin to dodge though, the sword came stabbing straight through his chest.

"NOOOO!" Taizao scream as he saw what happened after regaining his balance from Weimin's push. Weimin uses both his hands to firmly held onto the sword, preventing the assassin from pulling out the sword.

"Run!" Weimin yells at Taizao as blood pours from his chest and his hands. He saw that the emperor was unwilling to abandon him and he could also sense that the other two assassins were catching up. The assassin that stabbed him was kicking him and trying to pull his sword out of Weimin. This was not the time for the emperor to be soft. As his loyal subject and as someone he regards as an older brother, Weimin was not going to let the emperor die.

"Wu Taizao! Go! Go and find help! If you think of me as an older brother then listen to me!" Weimin scream at Taizao again to get him to run away instead of coming to Weimin's aid. He musters up all the strength he didn't know he had and push the assassin that stabbed him towards the two that just caught up to them. Weimin wasn't a muscular type of man, he was just a regular scholar that can't even hold down a chicken. However, people say when you are near death or in your time of utter desperation, you will awaken an immense strength and adrenaline within you. Weimin made use of that and use himself as a barrier to block off the three assassins. No matter how much they stab him, slash him or hit him, he was suddenly like a boulder that they cannot pass through.

Taizao was horrified. He knew what Weimin's sacrifice was for, but he just can't bring himself to leave. The debt that his father couldn't pay to Zhang Minsheng. The debt that he hasn’t pay in full to the Zhang brothers. And now, the life of a brother that he was going to lose will be a debt he'll never be able to pay.

Taizao quickly looks around and run to grab a sword from one of the dead guards nearby. He wasn't well verse in martial arts and wasn't even the second or third best at it out of all his brothers. As the crown prince and then as an emperor, he has always been well protected. Even when he led soldiers into the battle field himself, he was kept safe behind Zhang Weimin's strategies and behind Zhang Ziyuan's sword. Taizao knew he was being stupid and Weimin will probably be angry with him for life, but he still charges towards the assassins.

Weimin's eyes widen and he scream at his emperor, "Taizao! NO!"

Taizao swing his sword down on one of the assassins but the other one blocks it as the third one slash Taizao's arm. He bears through the pain and kick the assassin that had his grip on Weimin. He used his free hand and pull Weimin away from the assassins and pushed him aside. He was going to face down the three assassins alone but luckily, hundreds of guards rush through the garden's exit.

"Protect the Emperor!" they shouted as they surround Taizao protectively and face off the assassins. The assassins were now greatly outnumbered and two was killed while one got away.

Taizao drop his sword and quickly rush to Weimin's side.

---

Luhan and Yixing was on their way out to deliver Liufei's invitation to the Zhang's residence. As they were getting close to the garden, they saw a lot of guards rushing into the garden. They quickly pull one of the guards over and question him.

"Your Hignesses, please return to your palaces. It is dangerous here. There were assassins here after the Emperor," the guards said then quickly rush to rejoin the other guards. Luhan and Yixing pales upon hearing that their royal father was met with assassins. They both run as fast as they could to the garden.

Upon arrival, they saw some guards was clearing out the dead bodies that was litter all over the garden's path. Another group of guards was standing protectively in a circle. Within that circle was their royal father screaming for the imperial physicians. They push their way through the guards and saw their father cradling a very bloody official Zhang. They both quickly rush to the other side of Weimin.

Seeing his bloody and unmoving laoshi, Yixing couldn't hide the pain and worry he feels on his face. "Royal Father, are you alright? and… Official Zhang…" Yixing couldn't finish his sentence.

"Royal Father, you're hurt" Luhan said as he saw the wound on Taizao's arm.

Taizao shook his head, "Hurry! Get the imperial physicians! They… they can still save him…"

"Royal Father, the imperial physicians are on their way," Luhan said then turn to Weimin and places his hands on Weimin's stabbed wound to apply pressure, "Official Zhang, you must hang on. They'll be here soon so hang on!"

Yixing also shakily reaches out and apply pressure on Weimin's wounds, "Zhang laoshi… please… please…"

Upon hearing Yixing's voice, Weimin tried his best to open his heavy eyes. Everything is very blurry but he still looks towards Yixing. Yixing lock eyes with Weimin and he wanted so much to take his laoshi from the emperor's arms, but the look in Weimin's eyes stops him. Yixing was Weimin's favorite student and the two were closer than Weimin was with any other princes. If anyone could understand what Weimin wanted to convey through looks alone, it would be Yixing. The third prince understood that Weimin wanted for him to stay calm and to keep their close relationship a continue secret by not acting out. Yixing restrain himself from moving but couldn't help the tears rolling down his cheeks.

Luhan was panicking internally. His royal father was injured and his former teacher was dying. How could this happen within the imperial palace? Where were all the guards? With how heavily guarded the palace is, how could something this terrible could have happened? Will official Zhang survive? What can he do? What should he do?

Weimin look from Yixing to Luhan then to Taizao. Taizao notice that he wanted to say something but stops him, "What is it? Just save your energy. You can tell me what you want to say after you're well again."

Weimin used up his remaining energy to cough up blood. Taizao starts to panic again, "Weimin! Weimin!"

A bunch of imperial physicians rush through the guards and kneel to greet Taizao, "Greetings, Your Majesty."

"Hurry and save him! If you can't save him then I'll execute all of you!" Taizao shouted at the physicians. They all hurry to Weimin's side. Yixing and Luhan move away to give them space. They all took turns to examine Weimin and bandaging him up as best they could with the emperor still holding onto him. The imperial physicians send silent glances to each other, wondering what they should do. They were all too afraid to inform the emperor that Zhang Weimin cannot be save.

Weimin knew, without the physicians prodding and poking him, he knew that he didn't have much longer to live. However, he must hang on. He still needs to get home. His daughters are still waiting for him to be home. He promised to buy them their favorite snacks for dinner tonight. He promised Yueyin that he would play chess with her after dinner. He promised Meiyin that he would go with her to visit her martial arts teacher tomorrow. He still needs to lit incense for his wife tonight, he had never missed a day in lighting incense for her, so he mustn't miss tonight. He promised his brother that he would visit his house with his daughters to congratulate him on his promotion. He promised to take his daughters on a picnic by their favorite lake next month. He promised his wife that he will watch their daughters get marry and send them her share of blessings as well. He still has so much he needs to do so he must hang on. For his daughters. For his family.

Tears roll down Weimin's cheeks and he cough up more blood. Taizao's grip on him becomes tighter but Taizao still felt like Weimin would slip out of his arms. Taizao cries as he finally come to accept the fact that he will lose Weimin. Luhan had never seen his royal father cry before, so to see his father like this Luhan could tell how much he treasure official Zhang. He doesn't know what else he could do for official Zhang and his royal father. He could only reach out and place a comforting hand on his father's shoulder.

Weimin looks up at Taizao and try to speak again, "Your… Majesty, my… my… daughters… please… " was all he could say before his eyes close and he went limp in Taizao's arms.

Ziyuan was the last to rush to the scene. He stared wide eyes in disbelieve at his elder brother's bloody body. He couldn't move from where he was standing. All he could feel was a rage he had never felt before.

 


Author's Notes:

Double Update! Please check out the previous chapter if you haven't already done so.

Liufei's invitation never got delivered. There wasn't a need to anymore though…

I'm sorry!!!! For anyone who like Zhang Weimin… I'm so sorry for killing him off!!! Please don't hate me!

Reminder: Zhang Minsheng is the name of the Zhang sister's grandpa. Also known as Prime Minister Zhang. Just wanted to pass along this info since this character has only been mentioned in the prologue.