What You Want to Protect the Most

Clash of Colors

“I’ll pay,” she offered as if that was all that mattered.

“But you just said…” he nearly choked again. On his spit.

“I hear they have cable and we can have room service,” her eyes glazed with anticipation. Innocently continuing, “Some hotels have pools and balconies.”

His eyes traced over her childishness. Namjoo was truly an innocent country girl. What a hotel extravaganza to a couple was probably not what she had in mind. Sehun couldn’t help but laugh. Baffled, but highly amused. She really couldn’t be any cuter.

“Are you sure?” he wondered. “Does Uncle Jaejin…”

She cut him off. Really fast. “I ran away for the night. I don’t want to regret it, so lets not talk about them.”

The amusement died just as fast.

Sehun stared at for a long time. Coming to term with the fact that she had indeed gotten into more trouble than she was telling him. Because of him she was having a hard time. Because of that family. Because of her sister.

What else was she not saying?

“All right,” he gave in. “Just tonight.”

Her face brightened bringing a smile to his face.

Even if for a ridiculous moment that would not stretch for as long as she would be miserable, he hoped today would overpower all her coagulated thoughts.

Pulling her along he said, “I’ll pay, so don’t worry.”

ϞϞϞϞϞ

He actually found a hotel with a pool and a balcony. Sehun got them a room on the twelfth floor. One bed. TV included.

It was commonly luxurious with a table. A set of furniture, thick curtains for the windows with a view of the tall buildings crowding the city, and a sliding door that led to the balcony. Everything was plushy, puffed up, and cleaned for the new guests’ use.

Namjoo was easily wowed. Walking around wooed by the patterned yellow walls. Curiously running her hand over the curtains and pressing her face against the cool window to stare at the city lights coming to life.

“The room is so big!” she exclaimed excited. Turning around she headed straight for the TV. Finding the remote she powered it on and began flipping through the channel. Interested by the fact that there were some international channels.

Sitting on the couch he watched her eyes go wide. Unable to think of any other thoughts but that Namjoo was enjoying herself. Seeing the glow in her eyes made him happy.

Sitting with him she would settle on a show changing channels whenever there were commercial breaks. Doing the same thing when she found something else that interested her. Handing her the room service menu when she got hungry. Debating over what to have for dinner.

Namjoo’s eyes inched wider when their platters of food arrived. Tasting everything from her plate to his as they glued themselves in front of the TV. When she finally tired, she climbed onto the bed. Sinking into the fat pillows. Eyes still on the screen from where she lay.

After a while she called out for him, “Do you want to come up?” Patting the space beside her, “Come up.”

Sehun peered at her from where he sat. Curious if she wasn’t having any second thoughts at all.

“Are you seriously not scared?” he wondered standing over her.

Namjoo shot him a look asking if he was stupid. To be honest, he felt a tiny bit belittled. Was she not that attracted to him?

Moving onto her side, she angled her head into her palm. Staring up at him. A playful smile tickled her lips. “Of you? Of course not.”

His brow twitched. Plopping down near the edge he muttered, “Don’t come over here.”

Namjoo giggled. The sound enticing his heart. The most shocking was when she edged over and put her arm around him. Sehun was definitely sure she was making fun of him, but his heart was fluttering too hard to push her off. Every nerve and muscle went completely limp.

“That’s a little dangerous,” he murmured, “don’t you think?”

Burying her head by his shoulder she said, “But I like it.”

His pulse skyrocketed. Lying there as dead as a fish. With her arm around him. So close by. Laying with her.

Doing nothing.

Came as a total shock to him.

Sinking in every single minute she didn’t remove herself. Afraid he couldn’t trust that he wouldn’t just roll over and start doing things to her. Yet the minutes trickled past, the less he thought of doing anything intimate.

For the first time, laying there like he was alone in his room.

The silence sank in real fast. No longer paying attention to the TV, but listen to his heart become a steady beat. Become used to the company beside him. This could become normal, he thought. This could be something he could get used to.

Realizing Namjoo had fallen asleep, he turned the TV off. Climbing off the bed as gently as possible to turn the lights off. Walking back, he pulled the blanket out from under her. Tucking her in. Affection swelled through his veins seeing how well she was sleeping.

Sitting on the edge he continued to watch her. Wondering if she had found what she wanted about her sister yet. What kinds of things was Uncle Jaejin saying to hurt her? If she wanted, he would do everything in his power to pull her out of that house. He would find her the nation’s best lawyer. He would even take her home.

Just…he didn’t want her to suffer alone.

Sehun would believe she was strong enough to fend for herself. That if things turned too extreme, she would have the strength to call it quits. Like she continuously believed in him.

Climbing under the blanket he pulled her into his arms. Have nice dreams he wanted to tell her. The sun will shine over her pretty world and it will be a new day.

When morning arrived, Namjoo was sleeping away from him. The sky had turned blue. Bright rays glowed through the curtains. Threatening to infiltrate room 1205.

Closing his eyes, he rolled over to hug Namjoo. Waking her. She peered over her shoulder at him. He dug his face into her shoulder when she turned her back on him. Sleeping a little longer with her in his arms.

Two peas in a pod.

A quarter to ten they finally got up. While he ordered coffee for them Namjoo ran an errand for toothbrushes and toothpaste. Sharing a moment of laughter as they poured caffeine into their systems.

Their first morning together consisted of watching the weather forecast. Standing out on the balcony watching the city come to life. The noise of traffic could no more be distant than their heads were in the clouds.

They hadn’t even had , but his body was pumping with adrenaline. Feeling happier than when he had a full-blown wild night out. Overlooking the city was like facing the entire world together. He had everything standing here with her.

Namjoo who made him feel worthy.

Sliding an arm around her waist he urged her into his arms.

“What?” she asked with a smile.

“Happy looks good on you.”

She laughed. Fiddling with a loose thread on his shirt she said, “I slept well.”

It was day time but her eyes twinkled. Her sweet gaze drawing him in. Between them there was no need for words. He could feel it, too, that she knew he adored her to heaven and back. He could laugh about Sambok, but she knew he understood the depth of her feelings. She could want the boy next door who owned the orange farm, but that was just a dream. She could trick him however many times she liked, but he would fall for them always. To let her win and laugh, because he had become a fool for her.

All because she had come up here for him.

Twining her arms around his neck Namjoo further leaned up toward him. Breathing a heated breath into his mouth as she kissed him. Sehun tucked her closer against him. The blood surged underneath his skin. He imagined picking her up and crushing her on the bed. They could experience everything here and now. He would whisk her away from all her problems.

Instead, his eyes popped open when his phone started blasting music. His ringtone.

Their gazes regretfully locked. Pulling himself away he headed back inside. Struggling to cool his head while searching for his phone. The number on the screen was not someone in his contact list.

Sehun hesitated.

“Hello?” he answered keeping his back to the balcony. If his expression changed, he didn’t want Namjoo to see.

“I know you are with her,” the man on the other line huffed. “Return her.”

Firmly pressing his lips together, Sehun remained silent.

“If you dare put your filthy hands on her, I hope you prepare yourself to face the law.” Uncle Jaejin threatened. “Now bring her back where she belongs, and I hope you know better than to see her again.”

The line went dead.

Lowering the phone, Sehun stared at it. Either he had called his mother to scold her and got his number or he had gone through other means.

Glancing over his shoulder he stole a peek of Namjoo staring out into the city. Standing so tall. Appearing content and free with the wind billowing against her.

He hated it. He really hated it, but he had to trust that as the sun went down and rose again, he would be able to see her again.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“Call me,” Sehun said parking the car in front of Uncle Jaejin’s house. Squeezing her hand, he promised, “I’ll come see you.”

Touching her head, he leaned over to hug her. Both of them aware she was being sent back into the tiger’s lair. This time, Uncle Jaejin would be relentless.

Namjoo hugged him tighter. Without looking back, she pushed the door open and headed inside. Filled with a determination of her own. This would be the last time the man would be able to punish her.

“Chunhei! Chunhei!” Aunt Youngja cried out from behind her husband, who stood like a guard in the tiny hallway. Eyes hard. Glaring.

“Where have you been?!” His voice boomed.

“Honey, please!” the woman begged.

He ignored her. Stepping forward he touched her pants pockets. Namjoo instinctively moved back violated.

“Stop it!” she yelled. “What are you doing?!”

Shaking her phone in front of her he hissed, “This is it. I should have taken it away from you long ago.”

Her eyes widened then hardened. Angered. It was her possession. Her phone her father helped her get.

“Give it back,” she demanded.

Uncle Jaejin tucked it into his back pocket as if daring her to come and get it. “You insolent fool. How many times have I warned you to stay away from your cousin? If he dared lay a hand on you, we’ll lawyer up. Now go to your room.”

“No,” Namjoo refused. “I won’t go.”

“You won’t go?” his tone turned menacing. “All right. We’ll see who wins.”

Namjoo almost lost her guard when he disappeared down the hall. Unable to tell what he had up his sleeve.

“Chunhei! Chunhei, please!” Aunt Youngja skittered up to her. Pulling on her arm. Pleading. “Please, don’t fight with him. Why are you so stubborn?”

Namjoo blocked her out. Irritated with Chunhei, Chunhei, Chunhei.

“Yes, is this Lawyer Chae? I would like to make a report on account of abuse. I believe my daughter has been physically forced into having ual relations with her cousin.” His voice was loud and clear.

Walking back out from where he’d disappeared, he stared at her indignantly. Phone pressed to his ear. Namjoo literally froze. Stunned that he would resort to this tactic.

In that second, she couldn’t function. Realize he may be talking to no one at all. Or that he could be accused of fraud for lying. All she thought about was Sehun who had a future ahead of him. The time he could use to discover things he liked. To still be doing what he loved. He deserved so many things.

Innocent Sehun who had done no wrong.

“Stop it! Stop it!” Namjoo shrieked. “I’ll go. Ok?”

Aunt Youngja’s eyes widened shell shocked by what just occurred.

Chin high, Uncle Jaejin stared at her icily. “I’ll call you back.” Pressing a button, he dropped his hand to his side.

Namjoo blinked. So, it had really been a phone call.

She cried out when he yanked her forward by the arm. Lugging her up the stairs to her room. “If you have the guts to pull something like that again, next time I’m not hesitating to put him behind bars. And remember, that it’s always your choice.” Shoving her into her room he spat, “Stay in there.”

The door slammed in her face and she heard something jiggle on the other side. Namjoo listened to his footsteps fade before trying the knob. It was locked from outside.

Knocking her forehead into the door she took in a shaky breath and struggled not to cry.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“Sehun,” his father called out the second he walked in. “Come, lets talk.”

Pausing in front of the door slapping shut behind him, he watched his father disappear into the library. Today it didn’t seem like his mother was around. Left to deal with the head of the household, Sehun shuffled forward. Aware what this talk was going to be about.

Entering the library Sehun found his seat without being asked. In the simplistic room, his father had nowhere else to be but across from him.

“You’ve reached the age where I don’t always have to lecture you,” his father started, “so, I won’t soften things up for you. This morning, your uncle called me.” Sehun’s eyes dipped onto the table. “He’s very dissatisfied that you keep meeting Namjoo.”

in a breath, he opened his mouth to defend them. Stopping when his father held his hand out to stop him.

Nodding, his old man agreed. “I know. She’s not their daughter, and I agree they don’t have the right to try to control her life. He’s going to lawyer up if you see her again.”

“What?” he asked with astonishment. “He can’t do that!”

His father shook his head again. “I know. If he keeps his words, we’ll also lawyer up. We have a stronger defense because of Namjoo. I’m certain he’s taken that into account, but if he really pulls through, we’ll fight back.”

He glanced at the table again. Glad, his father understood. He and Namjoo had someone on their side after all.

“What I want to talk with you about is your future.” His father explained. “Have you found a job yet?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Just…I haven’t.”

“You can’t be too picky. You’re getting older Sehun,” his father reminded. “You’ll need a steady job if you want to move out. Someday, you’ll get married. You’re going to need that job to support your family.”

His eyes remained on the table. His mouth shut.

“I hear from your mom that your behavior is different these days,” his father acknowledged. “I’m proud, but what you’re going to need is more than that. Do you understand?”

Sehun’s eyes riveted upwards. Meeting with his father’s.

“If you want to get married, you’re going to need to dress yourself well,” his father went on. “You want to be respected, so that when you meet your parents-in-law, they won’t look down on you. You need to prove yourself to society, that yes, I provide community service, I help with this particular area. I have done this and that. You should have an upstanding place that will provide both you and your wife with a happy life.

“No one’s going to accept a man who hasn’t done anything. Not any parent will give their daughter away to a man who hasn’t broadened his horizons. To get in college you need certain grades to be accepted. Marriage is no difference. The most difficult part is being accepted by your wife’s parents. There are some who will never like you for who you are, but as long as you stand on a high scale not even they can disrespect you.”

Again, he stayed silent.

“Sehun,” his father called again.

“I heard you.” He mumbled.

“Do you have someone you like?” his father asked.

“Do you have to ask?” he muttered.

Smiling, his father said, “Then keep her in mind and start building your goals. You’re already a step into the game since you’ve met her father.”

The old man patted his shoulder on his way out.


***but he hasn't met her mother....