Black to White

Clash of Colors

Innocently looking at him Namjoo’s eyes swerved again to Minjae.

“Hey, why don’t you go somewhere else?” Sehun stiffly asked. Struggling with his all to stay civil.

Minjae didn’t spare him a glance. Coercing Namjoo, “It’ll be fun. What do you say?”

ϞϞϞϞϞ

They were right in front of the too bright neon sign, where he first found Namjoo when she came up to the city.

Paradise in big flashy letters.

Yoo Minjae held up his hand to greet the security standing outside the door. Gesturing that he and Namjoo were his guests. Signaling they should pass without being checked. Security waved them past.

Before entering he grasped Minjae’s shoulder forcing him to a fast halt. Warning in a low voice, “If you try anything funny, you’ll be sorry.”

“Chill, man,” Minjae coolly removed his hand. Peering over his shoulder. Mischievously meeting his eyes, “Is that chick really your girlfriend?”

“If you touch her, it’s the end for you,” Sehun threatened.

Minjae scoffed, blowing him off. Walking away from him he put an arm around Namjoo’s shoulders. Locking her close. Sehun’s nerves twisted. Irritation boiled inside him.

From over his shoulder Minjae looked at him. Smirking before pulling Namjoo forward. Forced to follow on heavy feet Sehun observantly soaked in his surroundings. Pounding music. Moving bodies smashing into each other. Short skirts riding high. Sweaty euphoria mixed with the stench of hard liquor. He knew the rich boys smuggled drugs in here. The wild and loose snuck into bathrooms to hookup, get high, and have .

He often hung out here on the second floor privately. Drinking with Minjae. Swapping stories of girls. Snickering over the hot girls on the dance floor. Making bets on how many they could hit on in a night, like immature high school preps.

Sehun didn’t want Namjoo here. He didn’t want her to experience this kind of night life. His hand subconsciously tightened into a fist when Minjae whispered something into Namjoo’s ear.

“Heads up!” Minjae called out as they approached the bar counter. The guys hanging around casually spun around at his voice. “Look who’s here!”

Stretching his arm out Minjae gestured toward him.

“Sehun! Dude, where have you been?” One of the regular guys he’d shared drinks with walked over to gently punch his shoulder. “You got a job or something? You disappeared for so long!”

Sehun eyed the guy with a stark frown. He didn’t care. He wanted out and he wanted to yank Namjoo away from Minjae.

“Oh!” A voice interrupted. Footsteps clambered over. “Hey, you remember me?!”

A big smile crossed over Minjae’s brother’s face. Sehun’s gaze flashed darkly when Namjoo’s eyes lit up with recognition. Pointing at the slim man, exclaiming with too bright eyes, “You! I remember!”

“You’re still in the city. What are you doing here?” he asked.

“Well, actually,” Namjoo’s eyes floated in his direction. Minjae’s brother glanced at him. The big smile he’d shown Namjoo dissipated.

“Sehun,” he said, “you’re here?”

Sehun flatly stared at him. Still haven’t forgiven him for bringing Namjoo here on her first night in the city.

“Now, now,” Minjae refereed. “Now that everyone has met, why don’t we find somewhere to settle down?”

“Come here,” Sehun ordered.

Namjoo glanced at him. Everyone looked at her.

“I said get over here,” Sehun repeated more aggressively.

“Your boyfriend is charming,” Minjae remarked more to Namjoo than anyone in their current circle. “Why don’t you go stand by him?”

Namjoo stepped forward upon his release. Glancing at Minjae’s brother who offered a genuine smile. Because Namjoo was kind, he wanted to believe, she returned the smile which angered him. Grabbing her arm, he yanked her toward him. Whatever had happened between them Sehun didn’t want to imagine. If she dared have kind feelings for him, he would be pissed off.

Guilt drew him in when Namjoo looked at him hurt. Pulling her arm out of his grasp.

Minjae’s friend chuckled amused. “What’s with you, Sehun? You’re overreacting.”

Minjae nudged his arm, explaining, “It’s his girl, man.”

The friend’s eyes widened. Shocked. Exclaiming loudly, “Seriously?!” Breathing disbelief. “Oh Sehun who’s unable to remember any chicks he’s been with names, has a girlfriend?!” He burst out laughing, slapping his thigh in excitement.

Minjae slapped his arm, warning, “Shut up, will you?”

His face grew hot. His hand subconsciously formed another fist. This time experiencing a sense of shame when Namjoo tilted her head to glance up at him.

“So, Namjoo,” Minjae cut in, “would you like a tour of the club? I promise you it’ll be fun. And if you want,” he made a drinking gesture, “we could have a toast.”

As if he’d heard, Minjae’s brother returned from wherever it was he’d disappeared. Holding out a plastic cup of clear liquid, “Are you thirsty?”

Grabbing his wrist, Sehun shoved him away pushing Namjoo back with his shoulder. Growling, “She’s not drinking.”

Minjae’s brother gasped when the liquid sloshed out wetting his sleeve. A good quarter of it spilled onto the floor. Raising his head to stare at him darkly, “ing calm down, will you? That was water!”

Sehun bit down on his teeth. Embarrassed for overreacting.

“I…I’m sorry,” Namjoo apologetically stepped forward. Rummaging through her purse for some tissue. Instinctively dabbing at the brother’s soaked sleeve.

Enraged with Namjoo’s naivety and annoyed with his shame, he pulled Namjoo away. Dragging her out after him. She nearly tripped trying to keep up with his wild pace.

The club music faded into the background when they burst out the front doors. Pushing past those on the way to Paradise. He continued walking briskly until traffic started disappearing vehicle by vehicle. Kept going only stopping when the road became bleak and dark with only taxis driving past. Loosening his grip on Namjoo’s hand when the road began to seem abandoned and they were alone. Breathing the chilly night air together.

Sehun struck his arm out for an oncoming cab which took them back to his vehicle parked blocks away from the thriving night market. Half the night crowd had gone home. A quarter of the vendors were cleaning up, ready to call it a day.

Without word he and Namjoo stalked back to his car. A lone vehicle along the street in front of a closed book café. The silence was like an eerie shadow tailing them. The sound of the car door closing was a brief echo in the still night.

Aware Namjoo must know to some extent why he had been sent to their farm as a punishment. Those days were like a blur compared to the present moment when they got closer. Of the irresponsible things he had committed he didn’t want her to know. Yet realizing if he wanted a future with her, she was bound to find out his ways. Most of them things not pleasant to the ear.

Sehun should have been more responsible. He should have been more mature. Listened to his parents when he was younger. He should have been a better person. Instead he had been a prick who had strut around discarding everyone who could have been good to him. Degrading the women who possessed any ounce of interest for him. Treating everyone like objects of fascination.

Tonight he had been scared. About being embarrassed in front of Namjoo. About the things she would see in the club. Trace those kinds of things back to him, and understand that he wasn’t any different than Minjae who lived his life fooling around on the edge.

Sehun jerked back to the present when Namjoo touched his hand, worrying, “Are you ok?”

“Don’t go there again,” he said roving his eyes over her.

She was a child. Innocent. Natural for her to be inherently nice to anyone she encountered. Having grown up in the countryside without bordering harm. Protected by her father since young.

Would Namjoo understand the ill intentions of men who lived in the city? Where girls wore short skirts, thigh high shorts, crop tops, tanks, and cat-walked the city exposing themselves? That to de-stress, men liked drinking, smoking, snickering about every pretty woman that walked by?

Would she know that all the guys he grew up with thought about were girls, girls, girls?

“Oh…” she muttered, “ok.”

He lowered his eyes, “Minjae isn’t who you think he is. He’ll hurt you if he can…you understand what I’m saying?”

Her big eyes never strayed from his face. “I thought you were friends.”

Sehun’s mouth opened to retaliate. Hesitating. Pausing. Thinking. Then admitting, “Maybe we were, but we aren’t that close. Honestly.”

Namjoo observed him. Removing her hand from his she reached up to finger his temple, brushing her fingers across his hairline. His brow twitched. Forming a tiny frown. Kind of relieved yet also wondering why she wasn’t having second thoughts about him. He had butted heads with her. She had seen the lipstick stains around his mouth. Should have heard things from Hyunjae about him.

She should know that he was more of a player than a nice guy.

He was all the bad things to her good.

“I know,” Namjoo said, “but Sehun, I think you’re different.”

It struck him in that moment that he didn’t really deserve her. Namjoo, the moon and the stars guiding him back home.

She smiled. Meeting his eyes with a glint as she withdrew her hand. In his entire life he had never met any person who could simply touch him with just a few words. Hearing her say that made all the difference.

Being blessed by her presence was already empowering. He could do anything. He would do everything. He did have a future carved out for him. Sehun could believe in it because she did.

Grabbing her hand, he gently pulled her forward kissing her. Thankful, because she made him feel special.

A breath pulsed out of surprised. Opening her eyes to look at him before he kissed her again. Sliding his arm around her as he leaned over the shift gear, pressing his body into her. Namjoo’s hand landed on his shoulder as he kissed her cheek creating a trail toward her ear. Digging his fingers into her back. Driven by a need to express his desire for her.

“Se…Sehun…” she breathed gripping onto his shoulder, but he couldn’t break out of his trance. Thoughts that he loved her; he wanted her marched through his head.

Namjoo drew up her shoulders, backed up into the car seat. Whining when he on her pulse.

“Sehun stop it,” she pushed against him. Yelling when she managed to shove him, “Stop it!”

He stared at her wide eyed. Namjoo drew back, sliding closer to the door. Looking similar to a wounded animal. Zipping the seatbelt over her body she turned away from him. “Take me back.”

With the atmosphere stiffened, Sehun couldn’t bring himself to say anything. Muffle an apology or something useless. Starting the engine, he drove her back.

An onslaught of thoughts clashed through his head. Between scolding his actions and defending his emotions.

Sehun stole a glimpse of Namjoo from the corner of his eyes. She was guarded, her expression stern. By the time they arrived Namjoo undid her seatbelt and got out silently. He followed her out, because it only felt like the right thing to do.

“Namjoo…”

“Next time,” she quickly cut him off. “Next time, ok?”

Sehun opened his mouth, but the iron door opened. The two of them turned to find Uncle Jaejin glaring.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Uncle Jaejin pushed her into the kitchen where the light was the brightest. Stomping after her once he closed the door. Snatching her arm, he whirled her around.

“Are you out of your mind?! You’re crazy?!” ing his arm back he yelled, “What were you doing with him at this time of night?! I told you to stay away from him! He’s a nobody! How many times do I have to warn you?!” Smacking his hands angrily, “You just won’t listen!”

His eyes fired up. His lips becoming so taut he could literally be the dash between a sentence.

“Why?” Namjoo’s expression grew terse. “You’re not my father.”

“You’re talking back to me?” he asked. His face twisted up angrily. Raising his voice, “You’re talking back to me?!!!”

Biting down on her jaw Namjoo stared back. Refusing to back down.

“Do you know who that kid is?!” He pointed his finger at the door as if Sehun was standing there. “Wake up, will you? Guys like that will only treat you sweetly in order to trick you! It’s only a matter of time before he tries to take advantage of you! Do you not understand what I’m talking about?!”

“Sehun’s not like that,” Namjoo defended. “People can change.”

Uncle Jaejin literally spat. In her face. “Change?! How? All his life he’s fooled around! A man like that will never change.”

“Do you expect change to happen overnight?” Namjoo asked. “Then why hasn’t your wife changed?”

His eyes constricted. Became an inch wider. “Don’t you dare talk about your mother like that, you brat!”

“But uncle,” Namjoo said, “you can trick your wife, but for how long? One day she’ll wake up and realize you took advantage of her vulnerability. You know what I’m talking about, right?”

“Why you little…” he whispered underneath his breath.

“If Sehun is a nobody, aren’t you just the same?” Namjoo asked.

“You conniving little girl,” he hissed. “Where do you think you are? This is my house. I brought you here, and while you’re here! You listen to everything I say! And everything I say!” His voice boomed. “Goes!”

Namjoo flinched when he held his hand out. Demanding, “Hand over your phone. Don’t you talk to him again.”

Her fingers curled up into her palm. Debating if she could run up the stairs to her room cowardly. Slam the door shut and lock herself in. Or maybe, run back outside. Run to Sehun’s…even after what happened between them. Regardless, he would help her.

Give me your phone,” he repeated even more hotly.

Relief sprang through her when a door clicked and Aunt Youngja’s light footsteps neared. “What’s going on?”

She looked from her to her husband.

Uncle Jaejin huffed, “Ask your daughter. I woke up to find the door unlocked and found her fooling around with her cousin outside.”

Aunt Youngja’s eyes moved onto her questionably. “Cousin?”

“Gumja’s son,” he grumbled, “who else?”

“Gumja…” she repeated softly then gasped. Eyes widening, “You mean Sehun?” Her husband frowned unhappily upon her glance. Asking her this time, “What is your father talking about?”

Namjoo opened then pressed her lips together. There was no point explaining herself. She was just going to bury Sehun into trouble.

“I think you should have a talk with your sister,” her husband advised. “Tell her son to stay away from our daughter. There cannot be any relation between them.”

He brushed past icily. Disappearing down the hall. Namjoo stared at the floor wondering what kind of issues she had stirred up. Did this mean she would no longer be able to meet with Sehun anymore? Her heart sunk more than she felt upset.

“Come on.” Aunt Youngja warmly put her hands on her shoulders. Leading her up the stairs, “It’s late. You shouldn’t be out at this time. It’s not safe for a pretty girl, you know?”

Namjoo allowed her to take her to her room. Wondering that if someone was going to at least be willing to be on her side, her best bet was this woman who was in so much pain. As horrible as it made her feel, too, Namjoo wanted to save herself and Sehun.

“Mom,” Namjoo touched her hand, putting on her best face, “it’s not like what dad thinks it is. Sehun and I,” her heart ached with the lie, “we’re just friends. We weren’t doing anything wrong.”

“All right,” she patted her hand. “It’s late. You should go to bed now.”


***their characters in On Thin Air are swapped here kind of xD