Falling

Clash of Colors

Instinctively, his lips twitched threatening to form a smile. His mouth parted when Namjoo turned away from the window disappearing out of view. Gluing his lips together he headed inside. Heard voices coming from the foyer. Appearing right on time to find his father shaking Namjoo’s hands. The old man appeared as jolly as day.

“Stay as long as you’d like,” he welcomed. “Of course, our home is your home, too.”

“Yes, thank you.” Namjoo politely smiled.

Looking at him, his father asked, “Did you show her to her room?”

“I did,” Sehun replied.

Turning away from him, his father graciously said, “Tell your father I said hi, and not to worry. We’ll take very good care of you.”

“Yes, sir. I will.”

“Go on and rest. It must have been a long trip to the city,” his father urged. Turning to his wife he said as they walked off, “Lets have a feast tonight.” then his voice trailed off as they disappeared around the corner.

Namjoo waited until they were out of earshot. Linking her hands behind her she commented, “You look just like his twin. Mini me.”

“Stop it before I glue your mouth shut.”  

Smugly grinning, “I bet you don’t have glue.”

He made a face at her.

Changing the topic, she said, “You have a cherry blossom tree outside.”

Walking past him she peered out the window. Mouth opening in awe. Deciding he could feed her curiosity, he said, “Over here.”

Namjoo followed him out the back door. Stepping outside with him. To view the open sky. The delicate pinks against the charming earth. The other private homes beyond the border. More leaves fluttered to the ground. Twirling, dancing. Mulling, “How pretty.”

“Of course. It’s an enclosed space, so it’s not as big as your farm,” Sehun said.

“Obviously. You have to own properties here.” She commented. Eyes on him, “Your house is pretty big. No wonder you whined so much.”

“Did not.”

Namjoo scoffed at him. Like always, making fun of him. Breathing a laugh, he turned away to enjoy the backyard scenery with her.

That evening after dinner, Sehun went through his closet for some extra towels. To be nice he would let Namjoo shower first. Just in case there wasn’t any fresh towels he knocked on her door. When it opened he saw a pair of jeans and a shirt hanging over her arm.

Catching his glance, she explained embarrassed, “Uh…it’s…I was going to change.”

“To sleep?” he blurted.

Her eyes fluttered more embarrassed. Holding the clothes closer to her body, “Well I…wasn’t that prepared.” Explaining at the speed of light, “I said I was just staying for one day.”

Realizing her situation, he said, “Wait here.” Disappearing back into his room. Anxiously pausing before digging through his drawers. Returning with a pair of sweats and a t-shirt. “Here.”

“Huh?” she stared at his offering.

“You can’t sleep in those. It’s uncomfortable.” He urged his clothes toward her forcing her to accept. “Anyway, it doesn’t matter.” Struggling not to become bashful, he said coolly, “Tomorrow I’ll take you to the store. So, for tonight, you can wear these.”

“Then uh…thanks.”

“And, here.” He gave her his towel. “The one in the bathroom is mine, so don’t use that one.”

Smiling now, “It’s gross. I wouldn’t.”

He playfully hissed at her. After putting her clothes down, she walked off to the bathroom. Closing the door behind her.

This was also his first time lending his clothes to anyone. Leaning against the wall he waited for her to finish. Snapping to attention when the door clicked open and Namjoo finally stepped out. She had his towel wrapped around her shoulders. The most obvious was his clothes too large on her. He tried not to snicker over how much she had to roll up his sweats.

The feeling swirled away like smoke when she approached her room. Her hair was damp. His shirt suddenly came off as excessively cute. Hanging above her knees where his pair of sweats brimmed out. His lips tightened.

“Uh…I uh…” she stammered uneasily, “I borrowed some of your soap.” Then more quickly, “Tomorrow…tomorrow I’ll buy some of my own.”

“Of course, yea,” he talked just as fast. “You should.”

Awkwardly looking away she pointed into her room, “I’m going to call my dad now.”

Sehun released the breath he’d been holding when the door closed. Clearing his throat, he rubbed his nape and went to take his shower. Quietly laughing to himself when he saw his assortment of shampoo and body wash.

Tingling with a sense of fulfillment when he climbed into bed for the night. Staring at the wall that separated them. That tonight she was in the room next door. Sleeping in his house.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“I know, dad. I’m sorry,” Namjoo spoke into the phone. Sitting in bed with her back against the headboard, knees pulled up to her chest. “I didn’t mean to worry you.”

“Where are you spending the night? Do you have enough money?”

“I have my card.” Namjoo explained.

“You are so thoughtless,” her father scolded. “You should have planned out your trip if you wanted to go to the city. Where are you?”

“I’m sleeping at Sehun’s house.”

“Sehun?” her father asked surprised. Quiet, then, “He found you?”

Namjoo blinked. Rubbed her toe over the blanket half-covering her. “What?”

“He came last night to look for you. You didn’t know?”

Turning her head, she stared at the wall behind her. Sehun look for her? Sehun went to Gimje?

“All right. Fine, as long as you’re ok.” Her father gave in. “Have you eaten?”

“I have. His mom is a good cook,” Namjoo grinned. “They’re very nice. Oh…is Sambok ok? I didn’t say bye before I left.”

And then her father scolded her again. Starting with one of his lectures about behaving herself in the city and so on and so on. When she hung up, she finally slid down to sleep. Staring up at the ceiling. Lips stretching, because Sehun had gone to Gimje. Really drove down to Gimje. The pure thought made her so giddy she had to turn and bury her face into the pillow as she giggled.

Namjoo fell asleep only to wake up at dawn. Brushed her teeth and headed downstairs to a quiet house. Not surprised that no one was awake. Early morning light transcended through the windows. Glowing a soft shade of blue into the rooms.

At the bottom step Namjoo finally got a good look of the entire home. The wooden panels so ornate. Gazing at the glass cabinet of awards his prominent parents had received throughout their careers. Oh Minjoon. Oh Gumja. Proud parents of what they lived for.

A family portrait hung on one wall. Another of their prideful son in his graduation gown. A bouquet of flowers tucked in one arm as he stiffly smiled for the camera. More pictures of his parents posing with a group of people, groups of children. In front of straw houses, the forest, burned buildings. Namjoo mused over each scene imagining in her head the stories behind each photo.

Peering into the living room. The library. The bookshelves. The many books of varying subjects. Sehun’s home was an interesting encyclopedia of trips taken around the world. Different places gathered in one home. He was a lucky child. No wonder he was snobby.

Rounding back to the kitchen Namjoo found her way out the back door. Pushing the door open to taste the soft, cool breeze. Morning air in the city. In the distance she heard the engine of cars speeding through the streets. Citizens waking up to start their day. Right now, Sambok would be crowing.

The skyline here was much the same as back home. The ambience different from the buzzing peace hovering over her fields. Stepping further into the backyard she held her palm out to catch a flittering petal. Gazing at the pretty leaf.

“You should at least pretend you’re still asleep.” Namjoo turned to find Sehun standing on the back porch.

“Then why aren’t you sleeping?”

“Thought there was a robber in the house. I heard someone walking around really loudly.” He stepped toward her.

“Be honest,” Namjoo said, “your internal clock has changed because of staying on the farm.”

“No.”

She grinned at him anyway. “I heard from my dad that you went to the farm.”

Sehun avoided her eyes, “Well…just because.”

Namjoo scoffed. “You’re really strange in some ways.”

“I can’t beat you in that category.”

They shared a laugh as the impending dark switched into a pink sky hovering above.

“I think pretty much anywhere you go, the sunrise is just as pretty,” Namjoo said. Turning to him, “I thought you said you don’t gaze at the sky.”

“I don’t. It’s boring.”

“Liar.”

“Oh? You two are up?” his mother called from the back door.

Surprised, they whirled around. Namjoo’s face burned when she realized she was still in Sehun’s clothes.

“I…I should go change.” She excused then hurried back inside. Giving his mother a stiff smile as she passed and raced up the stairs. Closing the door to her room with heart thrumming.

God, she was so embarrassed!

ϞϞϞϞϞ

This year had to be the strangest year for him. “It’s not that,” Sehun blabbered because his mother was thinking what he was thinking.

Her expression turned coy. Shaking her head silently.

“I said it’s not!” he defended. Walking by he explained, “She didn’t have anything to change into, so I leant her my clothes.”

“How sweet of you.” She followed him into the kitchen. Starting the coffee machine as he filled up a glass of water. Eyeing his back.

Irritated, he turned around, “What?!”

“I had no idea my son is such a sweetheart.”

“Stop it, mom.” He glared.

Giggling, she playfully slapped his back. “It was very gentlemanly of you. And I think she’s very cute.”

Spinning around he huffed, “I said it’s not like that.”

“Ok.” She backed off, but he could tell she was still playing with him.

Sipping the cool water, he in a breath. Despising that she was encouraging his heart to thump. Staring into the wall he listened to her rummage around for mugs in the cabinet.

“My crude son has suddenly wised up overnight. How can I not say anything?” she started. “You’re always out playing. I hardly know who your friends are or if you’re seeing a nice girl.” Looking at him with a glint in her eye, “This is the first time you’ve brought a friend home, and asked to let her stay. Now if that isn’t very unlike you, then I don’t know what is.”

“Well that’s…” he tried. “That’s because…”

His mother smiled warmly, “If you’re embarrassed, don’t be. Women find it charming when a man shows his nice side.” Teasing him again, “If you’re worried, I won’t say anything to embarrass you. After all, I have to make sure my son looks cool, right?”

He started frowning at her. Ignoring him, she turned to ask, “Would you like some coffee, dear?”

Sehun watched Namjoo walk into the kitchen. In the jeans and t-shirt she was going to sleep in yesterday.

“Yes, I’d like that,” she chirped.

Pouring a fresh cup his mother handed it to her, “Breakfast will be ready in a few minutes. Are fried eggs all right?”

“I eat anything,” Namjoo said.

“I’m glad to hear,” his mother commented. “What will you be doing today?”

“I was going to go to the store to buy some necessities.”

“Yes, you will probably need some.” As if insinuating a date, she added, “Sehun should take you.”

“We already planned it last night.” Sehun said to ward her off.

“Oh? Did you?” his mother mocked.

His brow twitched when Namjoo looked at him over the rim of her cup. Detesting how his mother was putting him on the spot, as if he was really treating Namjoo specially.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“Is your father alone on the farm?” Sehun’s father questioned over breakfast.

“There’s a volunteer,” Namjoo replied.

“Oh really? Then it won’t be too hard on him.” he said. “What are you going to do today? If you have no plans, have Sehun show you around the city. There’s plenty for young kids to do. Go have some fun.”

“They’re going shopping today. Sehun will take her,” his wife jumped in.

“Is he?” his father glanced at him. “That’s good. He should at least do something. He has too much free time.”

Namjoo glanced at Sehun from the corner of her eye. He had seemed quieter since his mother woke up. After grabbing her wallet from upstairs she found him outside waiting by his car. Without looking at her he opened the door to get in.

“Your mom seems fun,” Namjoo began when she closed the door.

“Now that I think about it, you’re just like her and it’s annoying,” he mumbled.

“Why?” Namjoo wondered pulling her seatbelt on. Ignoring her he pressed a button and music blared. The top of the car rolled down as he sped out into the street blasting the wind into their faces. Namjoo winced and closed her eyes when her hair flew into her face. Surprised when Sehun held out a pair of shades. Grinning she unfolded them and slipped them on.

Excitedly stretching her arm out to catch the wind. Thrilled, because she had never been in such a vehicle before. They arrived at the strip mall within the hour. Sehun had to continually remind her why they were there when she kept stopping to glaze over every small stand in the middle of the hallway. He took her into a brightly lit store with stylish mannequins spread throughout it. The clothes were so pretty her jaw dropped lower and lower to the floor every step of the way. Until she looked at the tags.

Bumping into Sehun as she turned, she said in a voice below hearing level, “We should go. It’s too expensive.”

Grabbing her shoulders, he swiveled her around, “Why? You should at least buy something decent since you’re here.”

“I said it’s expensive.” She looked over her shoulder at him, wondering if he hadn’t heard her.

“I’ll get it for you.” He said. “Think of it as a gift.” She frowned at the absurdity of his offer. “It’s fine.” He assured. “You don’t always come to the city, right?”

He was convincing yet she was uncertain.

“Go on, find something.” He urged. Even gently pushed her forward.

Namjoo hesitated. Looking at the pretty dresses on the racks. The high end jackets. The pretty sweaters. Leather purses. Platform shoes. So many things to choose from. Her blood surged. Turning around she held up her fingers, “Then, can I buy two things?”

He shrugged. “Whatever.”

Grinning she went ahead to start going through her choices. Going from rack to rack, shelf to shelf. Wandering throughout the whole store. Standing with Sehun at the checkout counter. Walking out with a bag of her items. Happily skipping beside him as they left. Leading her to a more affordable store, waiting for her outside when she became embarrassed about looking at the lingerie department with him around. Before they left, he treated her to a slice of pizza and an orange slushy.

Gripping tightly onto her purchases. Stealing a glance of him from the corner of her eyes as they drove back. Gleeful and very grateful. “Thanks, Sehun.”

“Of course. Now you owe me.”

“Seriously,” she murmured. Taking his shades off she placed it into the cup holder. “What do you want?”

“I’ll think about.” He smirked.

She frowned at him. The breeze turned sharp when he turned toward his house. Her eyes caught a figure standing by the corner of the garage when he parked and they stepped out. Someone who looked kind of familiar, but Namjoo couldn’t place him. Another tall guy with broad shoulders. The corner of his mousy lips curled up and he waved when he saw her.

“Hi, cutie.” He greeted.

Namjoo blinked confused. Did he know her?

“Sehun’s new friend?”

“What are you doing here?” Sehun walked around the car toward them.

“It’s been a while. You disappeared,” the man, chin up, looked at Sehun.

“Go inside.” Sehun told her. Curious about their relationship, Namjoo stared at them both. Ordering more coldly, “I said go inside.”

Taken aback by his tone, Namjoo turned to scurry toward the house.