While you were blushing

Behind the Smile

A/N:  So I'm writing this note at the top of the chapter.  It's because I'm a horrible author, whom, even if she asks for reader opinions, has made an executive decision without waiting for the opinions to come in.  Mianhe.  Really, I apologize.   BUT, I was rereading my adult chapters vs. the chapter you're about to read & figured out that keeping the will they/won't they tension made a WAY better read.  So adult stuff will be happening later on, or not, just depending on where the story takes me.  If you guys tell me you want some stuff in there, I will most certainly do so- just not for the next couple of chapters.  OK?  But, the upside- you get a DOUBLE UPDATE!  YAY!   Here- have some (hands out cookies) of these and enjoy the gifs at the end as my shameless attempt at apologizing. 

 

Onew POV

He hoped she didn’t realize how much he was enjoying squeezing the flare of her hips.  He just prayed that she wouldn’t see past his usual smile, as it would show almost exactly how he was feeling at the moment.  She was so very lovely.  Every time he traveled back into town to visit, passed through on his way to another concert or promotion somewhere in the world, a tiny part of him was hoping she was in town as well.  Every time he walked in the front door to find her laughing in the kitchen, sprawled sideways in her favorite reading chair, or god help him, moving and stretching as she lifted or draped fabrics around forms in the converted workshop in the back yard , his heart hitched and then settled. 

It was as if two parts of a broken machine clicked into place and the gears starting turning once again.

 

Oh, the expressions that had moved across her face when you asked why she was feeling guilty.  Sadness, anger, a quick lip curl of disgust, and oddly, something in her eyes that could have almost been arousal or desire, masked so rapidly you didn’t know if you had truly seen it at all.  Embarrassment, however, was blatantly obvious in the burning blush currently riding her cheeks.  That’s my girl, you thought, it’s a wonder her face isn’t permanently on fire.  Onew’s heart broke at the loss in her voice when she spoke about weddings and children.  You knew exactly how she felt.  Your own parents’ deaths had left you swimming in an ocean of emotions you couldn’t survive.  At fourteen, you couldn’t deal with the anger and sadness.   

 

If it hadn’t been for Min-hee & Harry and their relentless faith in you through every rebellion from drunken appearances at school to court hearings for guardianship, you wouldn’t have been able to pull your life back on track and graduate in the top of your class.  There would have been no more singing, no audition with the company, no job singing with your band members throughout the world.  No Minho, Jonghyun, Key, or Taemin- No SHINee.   Losing your foster parents was like losing your home again.  The lessons you learned the first time were already helping you pull through now, and you only hoped you’d be able to carry _____along with you.    Could she see that your heart was breaking?  You hoped your smile was still intact- it wasn’t the first time you’d used it as protection.

The tear tracks staining her cheeks stirred your protective instincts and brought the beast that howled to claim this girl, shelter her from the world, roaring to life.  It took all your control to sit there holding _____ in your lap and not try to kiss away her tears, to do anything to put her usual blinding smile back on her lips and in her eyes.  The feel of her dress beneath your fingertips was torturous to your already straining control.  You couldn’t help yourself.  The slight catch and pull as the slinky material caught on your calloused fingertips excited you.  It fueled thoughts of how her skin would feel.

 

Momentarily distracted by the contemplation of _____’s underwear and what lay beneath it, it took you several moments to clue back into the conversation.

 ______ was being her typical self, trying to take the blame for the accident on her own shoulders.  You spoke up.  She snapped back.  Yep. Her usual response-defending me from myself.  Once that was dealt with, one of those uncomfortable silences that come during any talk happened.  You were wracking your brain for some new topic to divert your thoughts from the feel of her soft weight pressing down onto your thighs, when you heard her breath catch. 

 

You stared at her-what was that in her eyes?  Something you hadn’t seen before…was it…..just as you were about to lean closer and see if your suspicions were correct , she blurted…

“I need to get out of this dress.” 

 

It was impossible not to do it- you lifted your eyebrow and pulled out a y grin.  It was too good an opportunity to NOT react to…

And hey, what if she really means it…..

 

 

 

A/N:Gifs to you, my very tolerant readers.  Me appreciate You.  FYI- I am equal opportunity when it comes to handsome men with beautiful voices- so my gifs will typically include a variety of hot boys- hopefully your bias will appear :D 

credit: dancewha

credit: moonlightunes @ wordpress

credit:seobbeast

(Couldn't help this one- made me laugh

with his attempt at FIERCE-NESS)