After the Kiss

Behind the Smile

Onew POV

 

You pulled into the underground parking garage of your dorm building, turning the ignition off with a carefully concealed sigh of relief.  You gathered up some courage and twisted in the seat to face _____. 

“Well, now we go up to our place.  _____-ah, are you okay?”

 

Silence.         tick.  tick-tick.   tick.     The car engine clicked quietly as it cooled.

 

She blinked.  Pulling at the door handle, she climbed out of the car and started walking mechanically toward the sign indicating elevator.  You scrambled to release your selt belt and catch up to her. 

You hit the automatic lock button and heard the car honk behind you as you jogged up to _____, who was waiting at the elevator doors.  The doors slid open with a clatter.

 

Before she could step in, you grabbed her arm.   “Mianhe. I…I..I’m not sure what happened, but please don’t be angry with me, I….I don’t want you to think that I…that I....Mian,” you finished lamely.

 

The way her skin felt against your palm, so warm and smooth. You leaned close to her forehead, under the pretense of checking her wound, and inhaled the sweet apple scent of her hair, the warm vanilla rising from her body. 

 

She kept her face turned away, but a blush rode high on her cheekbones.  You could feel her pulse fluttering against your fingers at the angle of her wrist.

 

So good.  You glanced down and met her gaze- you fell into it and let go of the chains anchoring your control.  The kiss- everything you had imagined over the years.  Her lips-soft, the full lower lip giving slightly under the pressure.  Her breath, filling your mouth as you angled your head and increased the pressure, sealing your lips together.  Her eyes-open and connected with yours- softening before they slid closed. 

 

Her voice was so quiet, you barely heard her.  “It’s alright, Onew-ssi.  It doesn’t mean anything…" the elevator doors closing drowned her out, but then you heard the last of what she was saying. "...just…let’s just go, okay.”

 

Her hands -sliding across your jaw and into your hair.  Her lips-finally moving against yours.  Only seconds, but  an eternity. The harsh knock on the window, and a group of punks laughing and yelling “YAH- get a room!”

 

She hit the call button, then gently twisted her wrist from your grip.  This time she stepped onto the elevator –turning she met your eyes and smiled.  “Kaja, Onew.  We still need to have that discussion.

Shaking your head, you smiled back, determined to follow her lead- anything to keep her from feeling awkward- and stepped in as well, sliding a key card into the slot on the pad and hitting the button for the 12th floor.

 

You ushered _____ in through the front door, taking her jacket to hang up as she slipped out of her shoes, leaving them on the rack at the side of the hallway.   She cocked her head at the dark room ahead, calling out, “Annyeong? Guys….anyone here?”

 

You busied yourself hanging up your own coat, watching her from the corner of your eye and praying that she wouldn’t get mad when they…

      “CONGRATULATIONS, CONGRATULATIONS,” 

loud voices sang out as the room suddenly blazed with light.   

Streamers and confetti popped in the air and caught in her hair.  Jonghyun and Minho crowded close, laughing as ____ stumbled back in shock.  Taemin and Key were clapping and singing, generally trying to be as loud as possible.

 

You grabbed _____ by the shoulders as she fell back, but released her as she stiffened and caught her balance.  Taemin wiggled between Minho and Jonghyun and pulled _____ into a quick hug.  He blew his honey-colored hair out of his eyes and winked at you over her shoulder.

“______-noona!  We’re throwing this party for you because you’re going to be our new stylist! “

“Ne,” Key interrupted, pulling Taemin away by the back of his collar, “and you know how happy I’ll be with your clothes, Yeobo.  I can trust you not to dress me in anything ugly.”  He flipped his hair and reached out to tug at your messy bun.  “But what is this look?  I thought sloppy chic was over.” 

 

She started to answer, but Jonghyun latched onto her waist and guided her further into the room & down with him on one of the couches.  He threw a muscled arm around her shoulders.  “______-ah  Ne, you have to show off my shoulders- I’ve been working on them for this album…”  You glared at Jjong, and bobbed your chin in a gesture that told him to remove his arm- or lose it.

He swallowed, smiled and pulled away- slightly.  Good enough, you thought.  You, Tae, and Key moved to take up positions around ______.   Key, smirking in your direction, sat next to _____ before you could drop down in that spot.  You let the others babble on at her as you propped a hip on the armrest and watched the silly smile on her face as she tried to carry on three conversations at once.  She still looked a little stunned.

 

Meanwhile, Minho walked calmly over to lift an elaborately iced chocolate cake from a side table.  He moved toward the couch, dropping smoothly into a crouch in front of her with the cake balanced on both palms.  “For you, ______.  Work hard, do a good job. We’ll support you.”

 

You all could see tears forming in her eyes.  She looked at the guys one by one, giving a wobbly smile.  She met your eyes and her expression crumbled.  All of a sudden she buried her face in her hands, sobbing uncontrollably.  Everyone looked at you, at a loss at what to do.  You saw Key mouth “Now what?”, and all you could do was gaze back helplessly.

 

 

 

 

A/N: So what is running through your mind? guess you'll find out next chapter.  Did I do okay with the first look at the rest of the members- I'm nervous about it, even though there's not much of them yet.  Gah- already at 12 chapters!  Hey- should I mark this as a "mature" chapter?  I mean, not sure what the scale is here...it's not really that 'mature' I thought, but am I wrong?