Learning the Cost (part II)

Behind the Smile

Your POV

 

You strode into the cafeteria, more than ready to sit for a minute and calm your spinning mind.  All you wanted was a little ramyeon, and a friendly conversation that didn’t revolve around clothes.  ANYTHING but clothes or fashion or design or SHINee’s comeback.   As you grabbed the tray, gentle wisps of steam brought the scent of chicken broth to your nose.  To your surprise, your stomach rumbled noisily and you blushed in embarrassment at the sound.  Trying with all your will to regain a little bit of dignity, you took a quick glance around for an open seat. 

The tables weren’t terribly crowded; random batches of some of the label’s artists were about- you noticed some of Super Junior, the f(x) girls, and other staff and choreographers you had met over the past weeks.  To your secret disappointment, Onew and the other boys weren’t there.  Even though it would be crazy awkward, it hadn’t stopped you from at least wanting to see them, to interact with them, if only from a distance. 

 

You brightened to see some of the SNSD girls together.  You took a couple steps their way, attempting to catch Yuri’s eye and smile before asking to sit with them.  And catch her eye you did.   She lifted her chin in your direction, and the light hearted chattering died out as the other girls glanced around to see you.  You were still a couple of yards away when the whole group gathered their belongings and empty trays, brushing by you with quiet, icily polite greetings and the merest hint of a bow.  You mumbled a confused greeting in return, not quite sure what was going on.   That was when you noticed that the background hum of conversation in the room had petered out.   Many eyes were turned your way.  Not all, but enough that it was noticeable, enough to know people had witnessed your exchange. 

It’s puzzling.  The girls were so enthusiastic when we last met, and wanted to make plans to go out shopping or taking some time to eat out together. 

Shaking your head a little, you moved to sit at the empty end of the same table where Leeteuk, Eunhyuk, Shindong, and Donghae were eating.   Unlike the SNSD girls, none of the guys made a move to get up, and you wondered if the whole incident earlier had just been a case of bad timing. 

 

But that was before you started overhearing bits and pieces of the conversation from the boys' end of the table. 

Oh, nothing was about you directly.....

 

"...yeah, some girls just don't know when to quit."

"We've all heard the horror stories, and some of us, coughhyukjaecough, just pick girls who aren't suited for us."   

Eunhyuk hauled off and punched Shindong's arm. 

Leetuek nodded wisely and gestured with his chopsticks. “With all the pressure we have as idols, not to mention the stress we leaders have just keeping the group together and happy, well....let’s just say you need someone loyal and loving to help you handle it."  

 

They could have been talking about some random person, some random girl, but then again...everything they were saying seemed aimed at you.  Sly little backhand comments designed to jar some sort of reaction from you.

There was no way you could ignore what was going on.  Your shoulder twitched in a small spasm, tight with tension.   You were trying your best to seem calm and collected on the outside, even as your hands trembled on the chopsticks.  The noodles flopped around weakly in the bowl as you stirred the ramyeon half-heartedly. 


How did they find out?  Does everyone know?  They can't possibly know what's really going on, not with how it looks like they're taking Onew's side.  I guess it doesn't matter, really, how they know.  I don't see Jinki telling them anything, not about something this personal.  Then again, I never thought that I would be forced into this mess either.... The best I can do is just keep it together until after the presentation.    


The next minutes were spent frantically trying to convince yourself to pull on your big girl and get the job done.  Time slipped by unnoticed until the next bite of noodles were cold and mushy in your mouth.  

Grimacing, you looked up to an empty cafe. The chopsticks clattered unpleasantly on the tray.  With a sigh composed of ninety percent trepidation, ten percent determinaton, you pulled on your mental armor and left to face the rest of the day.  


And face it you did.  

It wasn't an easy task.  By the end of business, the SM building was abuzz with rumor and speculation.  

 

You touched Taemin inappropriately during fittings, Onew found out about it and got pissed off, but you would never get fired because you were a major donor to SM Entertainment.

 

You were an illegitimate daughter of President Lee Sooman, and Onew insulted you.

 

Onew dumped you in high school and now you were out for some kind of vague revenge.

 

Onew somehow discovered that the only way you got the job was through Mafia connections.

 

Onew asked you out for a date, and you rejected and humiliated him in front of the rest of Shinee.

 

You bullied Onew in high school and he finally remembered who you were and all you had done to him.

 

Onew caught you and your boyfriend having and you threatened him to keep his mouth shut.

 

Those were the tame ones.  They only grew and became wilder and more unlikely as the day went on.  The only constants were that it somehow involved you and Jinki.   That part was true at least.  Even the most unobservant, oblivious moron could tell that Onew wasn’t his normal self.  Although not rude (he was always polite), he was not the smiling, happy man they all knew.  The day was long and tiring, and you left work feeling beaten to a pulp. It was disheartening to realize that seeing Daniel holding out a large mug of steaming hot chocolate when you dropped onto the couch at home, exhausted, was the high point of your day---and still wasn't even within shouting distance of the worst day you'd ever had when Jinki was still your friend.  While it broke your heart to know that Onew was suffering, all the rumors floating around were muddying the water.  Daniel agreed that it was the best outcome possible given the situation. It was a relief to feel as if no one knew the truth.  If no one knew the truth, then no one you cared about would get hurt.

Because the threats kept coming.  Pictures of SHINee with their bodies mutilated, with gouged out eyes, with obscene words and terrifyingly accurate details of their schedules and routines listed and highlighted.  Letters and texts filled with hate. 

Hate and a malicious, muderous rage.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Yay Update!  Slowly but surely getting the last chapters worked out.  I abhor rumor mills, but it is handy for this plot line.  Thanks for hanging out with this story- I know it to have an author who only updates once every ice age, but there it is.  OTL.

By the way- all my love and best wishes this holiday season to everyone everywhere!  May you give more than you get, eat with abandon, drink with caution ( ^0^), and be filled with joy & peace.  Day 1 & 2 of my December wishes for you :D