Slipping Up and Slipping Away

Behind the Smile

 

8 DAYS LEFT

 

Your POV

 

 

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OH. MY. GOD.


 

There were only eight days to get all the final fittings completed. Eight days to get SHINee fitted, finalize styling, get the photo shoot in the can or on film or proofs or whatever the hell it was and you were about to go mad with all the details and last minute changes.  

 

Another letter had been waiting for you on your desk.  Innocent on the outside, terrifying on the inside.  This one had focused on your incompetence, your lack of talent, the fact that somehow your tormentor had found out about the rift with Shinee and was using it to bludgeon at your confidence and control.

 

Oh, and the fact that most everyone in the building was convinced that Onew needed a kidney transplant and you, the matching donor, had refused to give up your spare organ, making you the evil behind his future death, yeah- that helped. 


 

The constant tension and muttering behind hands and shunning in the cafeteria and not so subtle rudeness in the girls bathroom had forced you here.  The running for an elevator only to have the doors close in your face, the extra hours waiting to get phone lines or air conditioning fixed...even the most clueless would know something was wrong.

And the President of SM Entertainment didn't own the largest and most profitable agency in the business because he ignored problems.  

It meant that you weren’t entirely shocked to find yourself in the same luxurious office where a month ago you had signed the contract on this project with enthusiasm.    

The same smooth leather warming with your body heat, the same creamy porcelain tea set, the same kind faced man in an exquisitely tailored gray suit, invisible aura of power cloaking him as he sat back with legs casually crossed. 

 

In fact, there were only two differences; your distinct lack of enthusiasm at this meeting, and the thin-boned stranger staring at you, eyes glittering with a strange frantic light.

Lee Soo Man tapped his fingers together gently in front of his face. 

“Ms. James.  I’ve been getting some unusual reports from my managers.  Care to explain?”

You shifted slightly in response, mind working at hyper speed to spin the situation. 

 How do I phrase this so that I’m being honest, but not spilling the entire truth? God help me now. Your father’s voice whispered, “When in doubt, ask for clarification….DO NOT offer free information.”

Leaning forward to snag your tea cup as gracefully as possible, you followed your dad’s advice.

“What kind of reports, if I may ask?  There’s been a great deal happening on my end preparing for this presentation and every day seems to bring something unusual my way,” you laughed lightly.

 

Smile lines fanned from the corners of his eyes as the President uncrossed his legs and leaned forward, bracing elbows on the arm rests of his chair.  The stranger was oddly still, his only reaction the smallest of twitches at the corner of his mouth.

“Well, Ms. James, it seems as though you might be related to the mafia. Or perhaps the rumor mill is wrong?  I’m well-informed, and while most of the rumors are as outlandish as the one I just mentioned, obviously something has changed the dynamic of your project.”

You cleared your throat softly and looked him dead in the eye.

“I must admit that the contact between Shinee, myself, and the rest of the staff has been at times stressful and demanding.  As with every major project on a short timeline, small frustrations and irritations can be blown out of proportion.  However, both your artists and I are professionals.  Handling stress is part of our job, and in this case, I can assure you that despite what the gossips may think, this project will be finished on time and with excellence.”  

You put every ounce of confidence you could muster into the words, trusting that your body language and your eyes were coming off as sincere rather than full of false bravado.

 

The President searched your face for a long minute and seemed to come to a decision.  Giving a quick nod he stated, “I respect that work ethic, Ms. James, I do.  However, in the interests of business, I must cover all my bases.  Therefore, I have contacted our previous stylist, Mr. Ha Sang Baek, to work up a single competing look."

 

You looked to the quiet stranger in astonishment.  So this was the famous designer, one of your role models in the field.  This was the man who put Shinee on the map as leaders of current and new trends in clothing.  Now you began noticing the fit of his outfit (he must have designed it himself), the intricate patchwork of seams crisscrossing his shirt which turned the grey material into something unique, the casual skinny jeans sagging around his ankles, the simple amulet around his neck, the completely awesome custom hi-tops.  The hi-tops were the accent of his outfit really, matte black in a scaled pattern with a distressed demon face in greys and reds riding over the toe of his left shoe.  The asymmetry in the footwear and the shirt complimented each other brilliantly.  Yep, now that you were paying attention, his clothes definitely had his ‘signature’. 

Physically, though, he looked so different from his last magazine interview photo, so different that you didn’t recognize him.  He was paired down and skeletal, with sallow skin and dark circles under his eyes. The intensity of his presence in that magazine spread was muted, or had morphed into another aura entirely. 

 

Realizing that the President had paused for a response, you took another small sip of tea before replying, “I understand.” 

 

Your attention shifted back to the other designer.  There were so many questions you wanted to ask, wanted his opinion upon.  If he was like most designers you knew, he would offer up an honest critique.  But, that frantic gleam was still there as he looked at you and you shivered a bit with a sudden foreboding.  There was no warmth there, no interest, no curiosity or even polite professionalism, just calculation.  He had a calculating stare.  And the twist of his lips which put a sly smirk on his face as he sniffed and shifted his attention back to Lee Soo Man was not the reaction you expected from him. 

 

The President continued, “Naturally, Ms. James, your designs will be given first consideration.  I trust that you will be delivering on your contract; however, if something should go amiss, and given that this building is buzzing with speculation concerning you and Shinee I must conclude that something has indeed gone slightly awry, I know that Ha Sang Baek can produce an excellent design concept even at short notice should you be unable to complete your assignment.”

You nodded in reluctant understanding. 

 

Can’t really blame the Prez for calling in a bit of cavalry, given all the weird stuff he must be hearing.  I don’t like it, but it’s a smart decision to have a back up.  And, at least he’s not firing me, which is what I expected coming in here.  A nice cup of tea, and then the ax.

 

“Well, that was all I needed from you.  Do you have any questions?”

 

“No sir, not at this moment.  If I think of one in future, I’ll contact your office.”

 

All three of you rose.  Ha Sung and you bowed and moved toward the exit.  He reached the door first.  Instead of holding the door for you as expected, he stepped through quickly, leaving the door to close in your face.  Perhaps he thought I was going to stay a bit and continue the conversation with the boss.  Shaking it off, you reopened the door and passed through the waiting area, hoping to catch up to Ha Sung and introduce yourself properly.

 

There was no one in sight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: For all you lovelies, do not despair.  Her life does get better (i hear my SUJU boys singing), and there will be a happy ending...i hope.  No really, her situation is crazy bad, and a simple solution that takes no time wouldn't be realistic.  *snorts in self-directed mirth*  Well, as realistic as possible with a story involving blackmail and sabotage over clothes of all things.  I mean, I just didn't figure that having her do the sensible thing and take the threats to the FBI or whatever the Korean equivalent is and have them ID and catch the blackmailer while trusting Shinee's bodyguards to do their jobs and protect them from crackpots like our villain would be as much fun.  So sue me.  Anyhoo- yay for realistic un-realism.  or whatever.  

A/N #2: Did ya notice this is like the second update in under a month? Woot!  omg.  how can i be so thrilled about that???  you readers and subbers are way too tolerant of me. 

A/N #3: And finally, because I couldn't find any cool pics that actually fit with this chapter, other than Lee Soo Man, and that's just not that exciting, here is link to a video of Onew & the boys being adorable at KPCAA 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdCLr1agFWQ