Not the Same

Behind the Smile

 

 

Your POV 

The rest of the afternoon had left you with a splitting headache and a phenomenally bad mood.   Sighing as Min Ha waved a last goodbye and headed out, you closed down the workroom.  Grabbing your phone from your purse, you checked your messages, expecting the usual barrage from the Shinee guys, maybe some from your suppliers, and hopefully none from the psycho.  There was nothing. 

It was definitely odd.  It’s not like that hadn’t ever happened, but it was really rare. 

Just as you were flicking out the last light, the door swung open.

A dark figure stood silhouetted against the hall lights, and your heart kicked up a notch.

“Y…y…yeobosaeyo?”

You flicked the light back on, prepared to scream bloody murder if it was anyone you didn’t know.

“Hey, lady.”    

 

 

Your heart sank in your chest.  It wasn’t the only face you really wanted to see.  it wasn’t the smile that made your heart flutter.  It wasn’t Onew.  

“Annyeong, Daniel.”

                “Tired, are you?”

“What are you doing here?  I thought you were going to meet me out at the front?”

                “Well, I figured I needed to pick up my girlfriend and take her out for dinner, especially if she’s feeling exhausted.”  He leaned against the door jamb, a teasing smile on his lips, but his eyes flicking all around the room.

“I thought we were going to try and keep our relationship as quiet as possible,” you blushed, fidgeting with your coat and bag.   “At least until the project is over.  I have…..a lot going on.”   Your eyes flicked to the desk and where the threatening letters lay hidden.

He straightened and walked to you, a kind of y charisma surrounding him like a cloud.   Briefly, you wondered if he just had a natural eye for fashion, or if someone like you prepared outfits for his different roles.  

Placing his hands on your shoulders and rubbing at the tight muscles he leaned in and kissed your forehead.  His fingers dug in as you stiffened slightly in reaction.  His lips traced to your ear.

“Try and relax.  Make it believable.”  

 

You nodded and forced yourself to lean into his embrace as he pulled you into a hug.   No doubt, his body felt good against yours…strong.  Broad shoulders.  You were just tall enough that your cheek pressed comfortably against his chest, right over his heart.  You could hear the solid, steady beat, and you tried your best to imagine it was Jinki.  But the arms were a little too long, the muscles a little too developed, the way he held you a little too firm.  Jinki always wrapped you up like a soft blanket, the perfect weight at your waist, his heartbeat a little rapid like yours, because you were both so excited just to be holding each other. 

Now, your heart thudded along, painful, slow.

Tears prickled behind your lids, and you were glad that your face was hidden away.  You couldn't help but think of just how devestating it was going to be when you told Jinki that you wanted to break up.  A lump of titanic proportions grew and squeezed your airway at the thought of the betrayal that would paint his face.  That instant when your heart shredded completely apart...you were dreading it.  And you weren't going to be able to explain why.  At least, not the real reason.

You gulped convulsively, acid creeping into your mouth.  You literally felt sick just imagining it.  And knew the reality would be that much more terrible.

Daniel gave you a little extra squeeze, a warning that the hug was about to end.  You took a deep breath and shot him a soft smile as he pulled away. 

His face was composed, but you caught a fleeting glimpse of something….in his eyes.  It was gone before you really had a chance to figure out was it was.

                “Ready to go?  How about we go for some Italian tonight?  There’s a place I’ve been wanting to check out

                with you…”

He took up your things and linked hands with you, moving toward the door as you flicked the lights off once again.

“Sounds fine to me,” you agreed.   The floor was basically deserted.  You moved as a couple down the long hall to the elevators, continuing to make small talk.  As the elevator dongs pinged closed behind you, a figure concealed in bulky dark clothing peeked out of the bathroom door and moved swiftly to the workroom.  The dimmed corridor lighting caught on the metallic edges of a key, and the figure slipped into the inky shadows beyond the doorway.  

 

 

UNKNOWN POV

I can’t believe he’s making me do this.  Even she doesn’t deserve this.  - I always just thought she was just stupid, or oblivious.  Lucky to have rich parents.  She’s always had the advantage over me, but she never acts superior. I haven’t been jealous…too much.  Knowing what I’ve already done and seeing her deal with it- well I guess I respect her now?  A little, anyway.  This is hard work I’m about to destroy.  Her hard work, MY hard work too.  But I HAVE to have the money.  If I don’t pay back the debt, I’m dead.   If I don’t do what he says, I’m dead.

A heavy sigh floated through the room, followed by a tiny light.  The figure moved swiftly and quietly, and once the job had been done, relocked the room and left to report.  And pickup the next payment for services rendered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:  Plot is thickening...(more quickly than my updates, thank baby Jesus). Action starting to move.  If you're reading Gainfully Unemployed (my other story), then you can skip the next little bit here, as I'm going to give the same apology.  You guise, sorry for the super short updates, but a little is better than nothing at all???? *crosses fingers and gives puppy dog eyes a la Jae*