Discovery

Behind the Smile

Onew POV

 

“_____-ah!”

Even as the shout left my lips, I knew there was nothing I could do.  By the time I jumped up, Minho had already caught _____-ah in a hold straight out of a drama.  It was so natural-looking for him, all suave and smooth.  If I had tried it, we both would have hit the floor, likely gotten seriously injured and had to go to the hospital.  I found myself getting irritated when they stayed in that position, just staring at each other for WAY too long. 

 

Was _____-ah blushing?  Not good.   Those blushes belonged to me.  I could feel the heat start behind my eyes, my blood pressure rising as visions of bloody murder flashed through my mind.  I didn’t care that it was my dongsang, a man I love like a brother;  at that moment, all I could think was MINE.    I’ve never felt quite the way I did in that instant- all territorial and jealous and…and…dominant.   I wanted to hit something- ANYTHING- in the worst way. 

 

Where has dubu Onew gone?  I can’t do this now-even though I really really want to.  I have to be in control.  Get a hold of yourself, Jinki.  This isn’t the time to make a confession.  Not when I’m this angry.

I stared down at the floor, realizing that if I kept having to watch this..this...scene in front of me, see Minho’s arms and hands on her body, I would explode.  I clearly heard Minho ask her again if she was alright, but I couldn’t hear her reply over the babbling of the rest of the members as the frozen shock of her fall wore off and they rushed to gather around her.  I slowly clenched and unclenched my fists to relieve a bit of the stress filling my body.  

 

Never had I been so glad that I often tried to stay in the background when the group was all together.  For once I was happy that the members were used to ignoring any odd behavior I might be making, putting it down to Onew Condition.  None of them noticed that I stood locked, unable to move until I could calm down enough to plaster a stupid grin on my face.

I shook out my arms and hands, aching from the tension, and with that same forced grin, I joined in with the rest teasing _______ about her clumsiness. 

“YAH- you’re one to talk,” she sputtered, “You INVENTED clumsy!”

The guys all laughed at that; adding their own little anecdotes and confirmations.

“Ne- you remember the falling-down-the-stairs incident, right-,” Jjong laughed,

“So tiresome,” Key nodded, giving me a quick pat on the shoulder with a sad look, “and this is our leader…”

Taemin pointed a finger in my direction, “and when you  tripped going after the mic-“

“He’s worse in the mornings,” Minho chimed in, “barely able to walk without slipping.” (a/n: start at 0:55 secs)

“I’m not like that ALL the time, “ you defended, shoving at their shoulders, trying to laugh along.

“Sure, just MOST of the time,” Key retorted.   

 

Bit by bit, ______ lost her embarrassed look and started joining in with the banter, sometimes defending you by pointing out the other’s mistakes on stage.    Jjong whined about needing to get back to his water, and how long practice had been going, throwing in some terrible aegyo to gain her sympathy.  The group moved further into the room to sit down, chatting away about the photo shoot from this morning, what to eat for lunch, etc.

I shook my head at the animated group, just grateful that I hadn’t let rage overtake me and ruin the atmosphere.  I started to walk over and join, but stepped on something with a muffled crunch.  Tilting my foot, I looked down and saw a wrapped peppermint candy squished flat.

Glancing around the area, I saw that _____’ s bag had spilled as it flew through the air, scattering all kinds of things along its path.   I bet it slipped her mind, what with all four of them talking to her at once, and probably she was too distracted by the fall to really care.  Better get this stuff together before she freaks out about it.

 

I bent down to grab the pulverized candy first, and began spreading out from there.   The bag itself had slid into the far corner where the mirrored wall met the exterior wall- so as I collected I could keep an eye of the bunch sprawled out on the floor behind me.   Her face was happy as she gestured in response to someone’s comment.    I picked up a glasses case.  Wadded up paper- looked like receipts from a coffee shop.  A pen.  

Glanced up at a loud burst of laughter to see her poke Taemin in the belly, as Minho pinned his arms back.  Key was busy adjusting Jjong’s hair, while that dino was retying his sneakers, all the while singing little snatches of song.  I  looked back down to gather up some change, chasing after a couple of coins that rolled away from me.  My hands were getting pretty full, and still there was a lot left to scrape up- her hand phone, a set of earphones dangling from it.  I quickly accessed the menu to see her last text from me.    >>sent Tae to meet you<<

One quick tap got me back to the main menu and her music collection.  I slipped the earbuds in, curious to see what she had been listening to- and smiled when the first song I heard blasting through was Up & Down. 

 

Humming along, I kept collecting her things- a random dangly earring, nail polish in an interesting shade of plummish-purple, breath mints in a little tin container, a lipstick -bright red- hmmm- I haven’t seen her wear this before-,  small weekly planner, couple of Polaroid’s of people on the street in funky outfits which I guess she took for inspiration,  some business cards. 

 

A few more feet, and I got some lotion (warm vanilla), hand sanitizer, keys bearing a little rabbit keychain, and scraps of paper with phone numbers or addresses scrawled on them…. I scowled, hoping they were for business purposes.  Finally I made it to her bag, my arms full of the flotsam of her purse. 

Girls- why do they carry around so much junk?

 

Trying not to drop any of the stuff and make a mess again, I grabbed the edge of the scarf attached to the strap and pulled to set the bag upright.  During the movement, a large sketch pad tilted and dropped out flopping open to a random page, but I ignored it for the moment to dump all the little bits back inside.  I snatched up the sketch book and was about to place it back into the bag as well, but I had to stop and stare at the drawing.

 

It was my face. 

 

 

My sleepy face, with my arms wrapped tight around a pillow.  Beautifully sketched in pencil.  My thoughts ground to a halt, then sped up to warp speed as I cautiously flipped to the next page.

Is…is this…this….my face again- smiling this time.  Flip.  What does this mean?   Flip.

Close up of an eye, some hands- mine again?  Flip.  How did she do all this?  Flip.

Back to clothing designs again.  Flip.  

My heart raced just a bit quicker- there were detailed color drawings, quick little ink sketches, all kinds, but all of….me.   

Does this mean she lik…lik…likes me? Maybe not.  She is an artist, and I’ve seen her sketch before- anything that grabs her eye.  But this is me…

 

Right about then, ______ finally noticed me.   “Onew-ssi!  Mianhe, I was going to get all that myself,” she called out, scrambling up and heading toward me.  I hurried to flip back to a page that had clothes designs, and stood up with her bag in one hand and the sketch pad in the other.   She glanced at my hands, and paled.  Her eyes widened, a slight look of panic? crossing her face. 

“Ummm…kamsamnida,” she said and bowed, nervously twisting her hands.

 

 

 

 

A/N: credit to where it's due: the gorgeous portrait of Onew was by wikedjuti@deviantart- check it out- AMAZING!  I mean, its like spot on to the original picture, no?

A/N#2: Once again, sorry to have slowed with updating.  However, I'm doing a lot of background stuff for this story, setting up outfits, etc. on polyvore to help illustrate.  Hope this chapter wasn't too too boring....trying to decide if I should start up some love triangle/love polygons with the other members.  So far both Taemin & Minho have had "moments"...hmmm what do you think?