If this is love...

Magnets (One Shot Compilation)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: inspired by the song, "If This Is Love," by Ruth B.

.....................................................

You know,

I believe life is based on luck. You're either born to be lucky or unlucky, there is no in between.

In my case, it was as if life decided I was born to exist with a never ending life full of frustration and live with the inevitability of multiple heart aches.

Meaning,

I was born to be in love with my straight best friend. And live with the pain that she will never feel the same way and stick with a guy that breaks her heart over and over again.

"All I wanted was to make her happy. Doesn't matter if I wasn't the reason. Just seeing her smile already means the world to me."

...................................................

"I swear Jisoo, put down my cat or so help me I'll—" before I had the chance to finish my sentence, my phone had instantly went off. Jisoo chuckles and sticks her tongue out childishly before continuing to pepper my new kitten with her kisses.

Poor Lily.

I scowl and roll over to my side table to look to see who was calling. And, seeing the caller ID, I immediately smiled.

Nini💓 is calling....

"Whipped ," Jisoo mutters to herself but hisses as Rosé flicks her temple.

"Language," she scolds and turns back to look down at her magazine. I playfully roll my eyes and answered the phone while rolling onto my back again,

"Hey Nini!" I excitedly say. Every time I see her name on my phone screen, my heart always picks up its pace. But, hearing a soft cry had instantly made my heart drop.

"Lili," She whimpers out. I widen my eyes and swiftly sat up straighter, catching the eyes of my curious friends.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Jennie sniffles again,

"It's Kai.." She whispers. I grit my teeth and tighten my hold on the phone before taking a deep breath,

"I'm on my way," Not waiting for her reply, I quickly hung up and hopped off my bed. As I knelt down to tie my shoes, Rosé had quickly knelt down and grabbed my wrist. I look up at her and sighed seeing her concerned eyes,

"She needs me," I said. She lets out a breath before sending me a look,

"Yeah but what does your heart need?" She asks while removing her hold and standing up. Jisoo walks beside her and watches me hastily tying my shoes,

"You can't keep doing this to yourself," She states. And after tightening my shoe laces, I swiftly stand up and sent them a pained expression,

"Trust me, I know."

.....................................................

Exiting my car, I quickly rushed to Jennie's door and knocked furiously as I heard faint whimpers from inside. I always hated hearing her cry, let alone see the tears rolling down her beautiful face. I held in my breath as the crying had stopped and cautious steps were nearing the door.

"Nini," is all I had to say from outside for her to rush towards the door and quickly open it. And before I knew it, she had instantly slammed her body against me and locked her arms around my waist. Without hesitation, and ignoring the breathless feeling, I immediately reciprocated her hug. I wrap my arms around her shoulders while kissing the top of her head,

"I'm here. I'm here," I repeatedly whisper out. She hides her face in my shoulder and I instantly felt her tears soaking my shirt. 'Why do you always do this to yourself?' is something I wanted to ask but I knew now wasn't the time.

I pull away and lower my head to her eye level and brushed the strands of hair, that were stuck onto her cheeks by her tears, behind her ears.

"Let's go inside yeah?" I softly ask. She averts her eyes to the floor and nods her head. I smile lightly as she took my hand and gently pulled me inside her house and into the living room.

We seat ourselves on the couch and I instantly felt my heart race again as she immediately rested her head on my lap. But seeing as tears began to escape her feline eyes and roll onto my lap, I immediately pushed aside the fluttering feeling in my chest.

"What happened?" I carefully ask, hoping it was finally the time to ask. She stays quiet for a mere second before wiping her tears and rolling on her back to look up at me. Instinctively, I leaned down and placed a lingering kiss on her forehead and wanted to scream with the way my kiss had caused her body to soften.

But, I knew she just saw this as a best friend trying to comfort her. And that thought had made me slowly pull away and force out a gentle smile. She tries to match my smile but it seemed too hard for her to do so. Her lips were quivering and her puffy catlike eyes were starting to water. What did that do to you again?

As if she read my mind, she turns her face away and focuses it on our reflection from the television that was in front of us,

"We fought again. I FaceTimed him earlier to confront him for ignoring my text messages today and he began to yell at me saying things that weren't true and how offended he felt. The worst part was that his dad was there, watching his son yell at his girlfriend," she scoffs out and roughly wipes her tears away from her cheek.

"His dad already doesn't like me, what more after this?!" Jennie angrily says. She swiftly sits up and turns her body towards the tv and rests her elbows on her thighs before leaning forward and placing her face into her hands,

"I was having a long day and wanted to just talk to my boyfriend to relieve some stress but he was so focused on his damn video games that he completely ignored my messages," She says with her tone laced with irritation. I lean back on the couch and grit my teeth in annoyance,

Why didn't she call me instead?

Because you're not her girlfriend.

Whatever.

I let out a breath before placing my hand on her back and rubbing soothing circles,

"Let's not think about this okay? How about we bake a cake while listening to Disney songs?" I ask with hope. Baking and Disney was Jennie's two favorite things in this world. I feel myself smiling with the way Jennie had looked over at me with amusement. She chuckles as I wiggle my eyebrows teasingly. She nods,

"I would love that."

.......................................................

"Okay, maybe we shouldn't have done that," I laughed out as I looked around the kitchen in amusement. Jennie pinches the bridge of her nose and laughs lightly,

"Maybe I shouldn't have let you bake with me," She teases. Her kitchen looked as if it was attacked my baking ingredients. Let's just say that Jennie absolutely regrets asking me to grab the flour in her cabinet. And let's just say after grabbing it I somehow tripped and dropped the whole bag causing all the flour to explode all over the kitchen walls and floor. We both turn to each other and immediately laughed loudly.

"Why am I best friends with a klutz?" She laughs out while brushing off the flour from her pants. I chuckle and walk over to her,

"Because you fell for my charms," I joke. She lifts her eyebrows in amusement and crosses her arms,

"Did I?" She playfully asks. I grin while unconsciously lifting my hand and wiping the flour off her cheeks,

"You did," I stated causing a light laugh to escape her full lips. I laugh lightly as well and focused my eyes on my thumb that was slowly wiping the flour off her skin. But my smile had slowly dropped as I noticed my thumb creeping closer to her inviting pink lips. I lift my gaze and gulped as her eyes were staring at mine intently with a serious expression.

I flicker them back to her skin and felt my heart hammering wildly against my chest. And without a care for the consequences, I slowly dragged my thumb against her bottom lip. My breath instantly hitched in the back of my throat as her lip felt so soft against my skin. I cautiously look back into her eyes and felt a glint of hope flicker in my heart seeing them closed.

A small smile creeps onto my lips as I also noticed a blush coating her cheeks. I look back down at her lips and felt my throat going dry as she slowly parted her own. And without a second thought I slowly leaned down in hopes I was finally going to taste the lips I have craved for.

But, like I said before. I was born to be unlucky. Why? Because the moment my lips had almost captured hers, her phone began to ring.

We both jump in surprised and pulled away from each other as if we were on fire. I cough lightly and turned away from her as she quickly grabbed her phone from her back pocket. I felt my face grow warm as I still felt the lingering warmth of her lips on my thumb. But that feeling immediately came crashing down the moment she answered her phone.

"H-hello?" She answers without looking at the caller ID. I slowly knelt down and began to pick up the bag of flour, hoping to ease my racing heart.

"Kai," she breathes out causing me to freeze in my spot and immediately feel a heavy feeling settle in my chest. And, as if we just didn't have a moment, Jennie had walked out of the kitchen.

Well .

.........................................................

"Hey," I hear Jennie say from behind me as I continued to sweep the floor. I turn around and sent a small smile,

"Hey," I said. Relief instantly washed away her nervous features before she took steps towards me with a gentle smile,

"So that was Kai.." she carefully drags out. I grip onto the broom,

"Yeah? What did he say?"  I ask, feigning a look of interest.

"He apologized and will be taking me out on a date tomorrow," She excitedly says causing my smile to immediately drop. I look at her in disbelief with my heart clenching,

"You didn't break up with him?" I ask. She furrows her eyebrows in confusion and crosses her arms,

"Why would I? Just because we had a little fight doesn't mean we needed to break up," She states . I scoff,

"You're not actually being serious right now are you?" I ask angrily. She narrows her eyes,

"I'm being dead serious. Sure we fight but no relationships is perfe—" before she could finish her sentence I immediately dropped the broom in irritation.

I've had enough.

"Damn it Jennie! Why can't you understand that this relationship of yours is mentally damaging you!?" I angrily ask. She flinches from my tone and widens her eyes in surprise. It was something she has never heard before.

"He hurts you almost every damn day and you still stick by him!" I exclaim while brushing past her to the living room to grab my car keys and jacket. I hear Jennie scoff and follow,

"You wouldn't understand because you've never been in a serious relationship!" She points out. I dryly laugh while putting my jacket on,

"Trust me, if I found out my boyfriend was an I would've ended it," I reasoned while turning to face her. She rolls her eyes before sending me a sharp glare,

"How would you know?! You've never even dated anyone! Let alone fell in love!!" She yells out causing my heart to tighten in the most painful way.

You don't even know.

The way those words were mindlessly said by her  mouth, I immediately felt broken.

"You think your relationship is lov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter