Chapter 38: Always on my Mind, Forever in my Heart (Pre-order is live on amazon)

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan was nearly hit by a pang of nostalgia as she stepped foot into the palace. The first time in more than a year. As expected of the princes, the route they planned to get Seungwan to her brother was clear of royal guards. Or any royal guards that were not their men in disguise. However, Seungwan would not let her defences down as she paced carefully towards the prison cells, where her brother was kept in.

By her side were Seulgi, Taeyong and Jaehyun. They had all been disguised as patrolling royal guards with their weather-beaten face mask. Seungwan had convinced them that she had somehow managed to procure these disguises from a foreign merchant to ensure that they looked completely unrecognisable, especially Seulgi and herself since they were females. The shoulder pads they wore made their shoulders broader and their heeled boots added to their height. These were much simpler disguises that Seungwan had learnt and her members had not questioned too much about it.

 

Seungwan’s heart dropped when she had reached where her brother was held captive in. The other three disguised individuals, stood guard outside as Seungwan went ahead, by herself. The Mongolian princess treaded carefully as she removed her disguise, bit by bit. As the image of her brother’s gaunt appearance and stubble-filled chin filled in her mind, Seungwan nearly stopped but she did not and pressed on.

Then she was finally greeted with the actual sight of her brother, Prince Sehun, who was reading a book. His face serene and even though he was skinny, he was well-shaven. He took a long look at Seungwan when she had arrived before his cell and calmly stowed his book aside. He wore a smile and said, “I knew you would come to see me one last time.”

Seungwan felt her heart breaking to pieces at how her brother seemed to be so much at peace, contrary to the image of him she had conjured in her mind.

“It would not be the last time if I get you out of here.” Seungwan said slyly as she held back her tears.  

Sehun shook his head. “I will face the consequences. This is my punishment for the sins I have committed.”

Silence hung heavily between them as Seungwan let those words seep into her heart and mind. Sehun had made it sound so easy and righteous that Seungwan suddenly hated those words. Righteousness in the face of death was foolishness, that, Seungwan had engraved deep into her heart.

Seungwan could not help herself but let a teardrop fall. “Brother… this is such a heavy consequence to bear… you only have one life… do you really want to throw it away just like that?

Sehun’s lips curved into a smile. “No, I still wish to live, Seungwan but I would have to face the consequences. I have taken many innocent lives over the course of years, Seungwan. I have to pay for them. This is what father would have expected me to do.”

More tears fell and Seungwan could not do anything to stop it. Seungwan could not believe it, she could not come to terms that she was about to lose her kin. Her brother, who, despite all the wrongs that he had performed, had cared the most about her.

“Come closer, my baby sister.”

Seungwan did as she was told, obediently.

Sehun stuck out his hand through the metal grills and caressed her face. “Live well, Seungwan. I have made mistakes and I have come to terms with them. I cannot say that I am proud of the things that I have done but I will be at peace with myself to know that I will be facing just punishment. Chanyeol has faced his own end with valour and I will do the same. No one else should be implicated because of our follies.”

Frustrated tears fell from Seungwan’s eyes as she nodded and tried not to look into her brother’s eyes, his still-handsome face. Seungwan could not help but noticed where her brother’s wrists were bruised and slightly chafed.

 

Sehun pulled back. “By the way, I have figured out what you have been up to, Seungwan. You lead very capable men with you.”

Seungwan dared a look at her brother then, a proud smile spread across his face. Her brother must be referring to the organisation and that also meant that he knew Seungwan was the one against him all these times.

“I am sorry…” Seungwan said.

Sehun shook his head, “you don’t have to be. If our circumstances were swapped, I would likely do the same too…”

Seungwan tilted her head in slight confusion.

“Your Princess Joohyun… she is a fine lady. Very fine… I like her very much… and it is no wonder why you should too,” Sehun said with understanding.

Unbeknownst to Seungwan, Joohyun had come down to the prince’s cell every single day in the past three months to try and convince him to confess his crimes. Her efforts were tireless and each day she used a different method; zither-playing to calm his moods, writing poetries right outside his cell, and even enticing him with a game of Go. The last one worked. Initially doubtful, all doubt from Sehun melted away at the courtly princess’s sincerity to mend this situation in her own way, as best as possible. Sehun undoubtedly knew that the princess’s motivations for doing these was to save Seungwan and he felt all the more grateful instead.

Sehun had no idea why he felt compelled to tell his sister all these, but he did anyway. Perhaps it was his last attempt to accumulate any final shreds of good karma.

Seungwan’s tears fell quicker, in larger droplets, and it pricked Sehun’s heart slightly. Maybe his sister was right, even if this country were rotten, there were still people like Princess Joohyun and the princes who could salvage it.

“Go… return from where you come from… and do not be sad for me. We all make mistakes in life, mine happens to be more sinister and the consequences graver,” Sehun said, it was possibly more to himself.

Seungwan shook her head, like the head-strong child Sehun remembered her to be and it brought a smile to his face.

“Come on… don’t risk yourself for me anymore… I will feel truly guilty if I drag you down in this with me,” Sehun replied coolly.

As timely as it was, Seulgi came for her sister. Their eyes met and in that moment of eye contact, Sehun felt his heart being squeezed. Seulgi probably did not know but she was one of the persons he thought of the most during his prison stay and perhaps the one he would always have regrets about. There was so much that could have happened between them… even if… even if Seulgi was a member of Seungwan’s organisation.

“Seungwan… we must go now… the prison guards are changing shifts soon,” Seulgi spoke urgently.

That beautiful voice. If only they had more time together, Sehun thought wistfully.

With a lot of regret and longingness on her face, Seungwan nodded her head, gave her brother one last forced smile as she put on what seemed to be artfully crafted disguises. Seulgi did the same too and Sehun felt pity that he could not look at Seulgi’s natural face for longer.

“Take care of my sister, Seulgi.” Sehun said softly and later added, “and yourself too.”

Seulgi’s head inclined just half an inch but Sehun knew the palace maid had acknowledged it, perhaps his final words.

 

Seungwan knew it was foolish of her, but she could not help but be drawn to where Joohyun’s living quarters were.

Fortunately, the princes had anticipated this as well and were perceptive enough to clear a path for her to get there.

With each step she took, her heart palpitated wildly. She was finally going to see Joohyun, even if it were to steal a few quick peeks. The Mongolian princess heart nearly stopped as she heard Joohyun even before she saw her. The courtly princess had become so skinny that her robes were looser around her small frame. Seungwan wondered if Joohyun’s cough might have returned, she would get to know about it soon enough.

Seungwan spotted Ten standing amongst the royal guards. He had spotted Seungwan in return and gave her a small nod. Joohyun was lightly guarded but the princes must not have told the courtly princess that Seungwan might visit her. It was good. The princes feared their sister’s disappointment and worry should Joohyun knew about this in advance.

Whispering softly, Seulgi said, “Seungwan, please get into Princess Joohyun’s quarters. I will try to persuade the princess to return to her room”

Seungwan nodded without any objections, her eyes glued on Joohyun the entire time she snuck into where she meant to be.

 

Seungwan paced about the room restlessly as she waited. Her hand kept going to her sword every minute or so.

Then she heard approaching steps and hid behind a folding screen. Seungwan caught the moment Joohyun’s shoulders had slumped upon entering the room. It was followed by a tired sigh. Joohyun looked so weary.  

The door panels closed and Seungwan felt her heart race once again as the person with sluggish, short steps neared her. Seungwan clapped her hand over Joohyun’s mouth but was surprised to be met with resistance as the princess scratched her arm, twisted in her hold, and broke away. A proud grin crossed Seungwan’s face. Joohyun did not know it was her and thought this was an assault and tried calling for the guards.

“Gua-”

Before Joohyun could loose her scream entirely, Seungwan closed her hand over mouth once again and held on tighter this time round. Joohyun struggled once again and Seungwan felt the knife sliding down from within Joohyun’s sleeves. 

“Joohyun… it is me,” Seungwan whispered gently before she was accidentally stabbed by the courtly princess.

The struggling princess froze entirely in her arms then her body trembled before she made a slow turn to face Seungwan.

Seungwan tried for a smile but failed as Joohyun had connected her lips with hers before the smile could fully be formed. Tears streaked down both their cheeks, but it did not matter as Seungwan angled both their faces to deepen their kiss. Their longing for each other pronounced clearly in their moment of intimation.

Joohyun then pulled back suddenly and cradled Seungwan’s face as she observed the Mongolian princess. Time stretched to a stop as they beheld each other’s face. Seungwan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter