Chapter 8: Scarlet Promises and False Happiness

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It took nearly two months for Seungwan’s injury to stop aching. Wars still raged at the Mongolian and Jin borders and the Great Khan had been unable to visit his youngest daughter. However, the royal brothers had been dutiful in keeping their father updated and had left the palace when Seungwan was healthy enough. Before they did, they had even playfully remarked that Seungwan seemed to have stopped growing taller ever since leaving the great plains and Seungwan answered to their comments with kicks to her brothers’ sheens.

She missed her brothers and was getting frustrated with Prince Jongdae’s frequent apologies for causing her injury and Prince Kyungsoo for fussing over her every movement. The two princes had also visited Seungwan at both her and Joohyun’s quarters almost daily. Some days they had fun since both princes would bring new entertainment to show off to the princesses but most times, they were boring and getting overbearing.

During that three months, Seungwan had also gone to her horse stable every single day to bond with her mare. Little did she expect that Princess Joohyun had made her way to the stables as well.

“Are courtly and sickly princesses supposed to be interested in handsome steeds?” Seungwan asked as she fed a bushel of hay to her mare.

“Handsome?” Princess Joohyun asked in a mocking tone, “she looks normal to me. From the rumours, I thought my Emperor father had given you a kirin.”

Seungwan glared at the courtly princess. “That’s because she is in the shed, wait till you see her in full glory in the sun.”

Wearing a thin smile on her face, Princess Joohyun proceeded to ask, “what name did you give her?”

“Scarlet,” Seungwan said with pride as she the mare’s and the animal gave a grunt.

Princess Joohyun looked at the tall animal warily. “is she tamed?”

Cocking a brow, Seungwan said, “well… I haven’t ridden her yet. They would not allow me to, not until a month later when mobility has fully returned to my arm. But… I have been spending time with her everyday and she recognises me now.”

“I know you have been at the stables every day, you smell like horse poop whenever you come to visit,” Princess Joohyun said.

Seungwan grinned. “I do? Then I guess I am really bonding well with Scarlet.”

A crease appeared between the young princess brows. “I would say you are spending too much time with the equine.”

The grin on Seungwan’s face morphed into her favourite slanted smile. “I know, I am your companion so I should be spending more time with you instead. Is that right?”

Princess Joohyun’s face coloured a shade of red that was almost of the same colour as Scarlet’s coat. It was beautiful to look at and Seungwan wished she could prolong that appearance. “I will spend more time with you if you would play zither more often. Its pleasing on my ears.”

“Liar. You fell asleep when I played it the last time you came over,” Princess Joohyun called out.

“That is because you always play in your room. But they were so beautiful that all I could do was imagine how much more pleasant it would have sounded if you played it in a natural environment or something. My mind wandered off and so I fell asleep.”

“That is a really long explanation,” Princess Joohyun said with a tinge of shyness.

“But the truth,” Seungwan replied curtly.

“Then what do you propose I do?” Princess Joohyun asked pointedly.

Shrugging, Seungwan said, “I don’t know, at least play in your backcourt or something, then at least I could practice my sword moves while you are playing.”

Princess Joohyun blinked and when Seungwan saw that look on the princess’s face, she felt necessary to add.

“Staying outdoors more often might improve your health too. You have been sick for too long because you are always too cooped up in your room.”

“I don’t like to remain outdoors,” Princess Joohyun said plainly.

Shrugging her good shoulder, Seungwan said, “up to you then. It was merely a suggestion.”

Seungwan then climbed up a tall wooden box as she reached for her horse’s mane.

A look of conflict was etched upon Princess Joohyun’s face. Seungwan tried to ignore that as she continued her horse’s mane.

Finally, Princess Joohyun gave in. “Okay, I will do that but you must give me something in return.”

Seungwan smiled inwardly then asked, “what do you want?”  

“I haven’t thought about it yet. I will tell you when I have,” Princess Joohyun said with an imperious edge to her tone.

Seungwan would have normally detested people doing that but it was Princess Joohyun, so she found it adorable instead.

It would be a promise then. Her promise to Princess Joohyun.

“Very well then, as long as it is something reasonable then you may have it,” Seungwan replied coolly and got down from the box. “Let’s go back to your quarters, you shouldn’t be out for too long, especially not in a stable.”

Princess Joohyun looked around the stable again and at Scarlet before giving a nod of her head.

 

For the rest of the week, Princess Joohyun had played the zither outdoors, first at her own backcourt, then by the pavilion which overlooked the pond near their courts. Each and every time, Seungwan was there with her. Sometimes, Seungwan would change the rhythm of her footwork and swordplay according to the tempo of Princess Joohyun’s playing.

They shared so many glances with each other at times that Seungwan was beginning to think that this would be a rather good way of life. Princess Joohyun was indeed a rather good companion to be with. Sometimes, Princess Joohyun would like to by abruptly changing the tempo of the zither and Seungwan would return the tease by scaring her with an approaching weapon.

“Stop screwing up my tempo,” Seungwan said in frustration.

Tilting her head in false confusion, Princess Joohyun asked innocently, “who? Me?”

Scrunching her face up in annoyance, Seungwan nodded. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter