Chapter 26: Accomplished Mind Readers and Sweet Talkers

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan had been visiting Taeyeon occasionally amidst all her other schemings. Seungwan was glad that her elder sister, despite her married status, was relatively well and had time to into her affairs.

“Have you gotten into a quarrel with Princess Joohyun?” Taeyeon asked with a knowing smile on her face and Seungwan almost spat out her tea.

“H-How did you know?”

“Well… Prince Baekhyun asked me the night before, clearly hinting for me to find out from my dear little sister.” Taeyeon said in a coy voice.

Seungwan pouted with disgust, not expecting the prince to be such a nosey person. “Prince Baekhyun must ask for more work if he is so free.”

Taeyeon’s cheeks lifted and her eyes turned crescent shaped as she said, “you really quarrelled with Princess Joohyun then? Well, it is not that the prince does not have things to do but Princess Joohyun has been rather… abrasive during court sessions these few days.”

Seungwan dipped her head lower as she sipped carefully from her teacup, averting her sister’s gaze and careful not to spill more.

Taeyeon suddenly sighed. “At least you still get to quarrel with Joohyun.”

Seungwan’s face fell as she knew who her sister must be missing. All these years, Taeyeon still loved Miyoung and Seungwan was certain that Miyoung, no matter where she was, was also pinning for her sister. It unsettled Seungwan slightly as she imagined Joohyun and herself falling into such a plight.

“Do not forget to placate her. Princess Joohyun’s anger just proves how much you mean to her whatever the reason of your quarrels.”

Seungwan nodded and steered the subject away from herself.  “Taeyeon… what about you? Has there been any… progress?”

“The Empress has been questioning why is there no royal child forthcoming,” Taeyeon said with a smile of difficulty.

Seungwan craned her neck forward and asked, “and? Any indications that they might let you go?”

Taeyeon shrugged. “Patience, my sister. Who was the one who taught me that? Anyway, it would not be anytime soon if they even have thoughts of sending me back. They might be too afraid that such an act would be a humiliation to our father Khan.”

“Unless you were the one who requested for it, or if our father wishes for you to be cured of your infertility, somehow, back in our homelands,” Seungwan replied with an eager smile.

Taeyeon tutted at her sister, “Princess Joohyun must be angry at you for having such cunning ideas every single moment.”

Seungwan gave a sheepish smile and did not deny her sister’s accusations.

“Anyway, remember what I have said about Princess Joohyun and do not worry excessively about me, I am managing.” Taeyeon reminded and gave a teasing smile.

Seungwan nodded.

“And remember to check up on Sehun from time to time. He is another cunning one except that he does not pay his elder sister visits and instead avoids me like a plague.”

Seungwan sipped her tea again, holding in her words. Seungwan knew the reason why Sehun has been avoiding their elder sister and the reason is to do with Taeyeon’s status as Prince Baekhyun’s wife. Sehun, like Seungwan, had secret ambitions and ploys which he could not afford to let others discover. Seungwan made a mental note to find out what her brother was up to when she had more resources.  

**

It was an exceptionally tough morning at court. Coupled with Joohyun’s soured moods over the past three days, the princess almost lost her composure as she presented her counterarguments. Her father Emperor must have noticed her vexation because countless of times, he would direct harsher questions to the royal princes and the Ministers instead of her.

Prince Kyungsoo whom she had confronted with about their recent incident was all the more attentive to her. However, that did not lessen Joohyun’s frustration towards them especially since Joohyun always had the impression that Prince Kyungsoo was the most sensible amongst them and would have prevented Seungwan from doing such dangerous things. The thought that the prince actually joined Seungwan in her reckless endeavours made Joohyun all the more upset.

Once they were dismissed from the court session, Seulgi had run up to Joohyun immediately and the princess thought she was almost consumed with frustration right there and then. Seulgi, even though was more innocent, was not entirely blameless. The hierarchy of the palace maid’s loyalties should lie with Joohyun before Seungwan and yet Seulgi had failed to report to Joohyun of any dangers at first notice.

Joohyun would have wanted Seulgi to stay in her quarters to do chores instead of following her around but the palace maid was on strict orders by Seungwan to protect Joohyun. Joohyun felt her anger bubbling up once more. This disloyal palace maid. Her mind screamed. Seulgi caught the fierce glare from Joohyun, dipped her head, and fell back a few paces from her. It softened Joohyun’s heart slightly.

Joohyun sighed. “I am going back to my quarters.”

Seulgi dared not reply and merely followed Joohyun.

“What are you going to do when I am not out and about, Seulgi?” Joohyun asked after not being able to withstand the silence.

Seulgi swallowed nervously and emboldened herself with a swift glance to Joohyun. “P-Princess Seungwan said I must not leave you even if you are in your own quarters.”  

“What if I tell you to leave me alone for the day?” Joohyun asked sternly.  

Seulgi shook her head in alarm, as if the mere thought of it was unthinkable. “I-I cannot leave your side, Princess Joohyun, please. You may punish me as you please, just do not order me away, Princess Seungwan would flay me.”

Joohyun fixed a hard gaze at Seulgi, not knowing if she should commend Seulgi for her honesty or wallop her for her greater loyalty towards Seungwan.

“Seulgi… you…”

Joohyun was too angry to continue but she did not have to because Seungwan was striding towards them with that usual confident gait of hers. Joohyun’s heart lurched but she managed to still it and not let it show on her face.

“Taking it out on Seulgi?” Seungwan asked amusedly.

Joohyun turned away but not before seeing Seungwan motioning for Seulgi to take her leave.

“Princess Seungwan, aren’t you supposed to be busy with nobler matters?” Joohyun asked acidly.

Those words seemed to not have taken any effect on Seungwan and she used her usual charming voice. “I am. Right now, you are my noblest responsibility.”

Joohyun blushed in spite of herself and Seungwan’s gentle tug on her arm made her turn back to look at her.

Such a simple gesture had chipped away some of Joohyun’s annoyance.

“Shall we make our way to your quarters, Princess Joohyun?”  

 

Once in her own room, Seungwan had closed the door and treated Joohyun with the greatest reverence as she kneaded Joohyun’s shoulders and slid an arm down to her waist, cradling her. Joohyun found herself backed up willingly against the wall as Seungwan goaded her to do so. Their lips met halfway and Seungwan cupped both her cheeks lovingly, her calloused fingers just below her eyes as they kissed.

Their heaving chests were tightly pressed against each other and despite so, they never broke apart.

When they eventually did, Seungwan apologised and followed it up with a trail of kisses down Joohyun’s cheeks, neck and ending at her shoulder. Seungwan rested her head on the spot of Joohyun’s shoulder she had marked so often with tiny nibbles.

Joohyun let out a blissful sigh as she Seungwan’s hair gently. Her anger was completely gone and Joohyun hated herself for feeling so weak before Seungwan.

“I was mistaken. I promise to n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter