Chapter 37: A Point of No Return 

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eight months went by. Eight months since Joohyun had been separated from Seungwan. It would be an awful lie if Joohyun said she could carry on with her life as per normal. Yet, she had to pretend that she did.

Joohyun attended courtly meetings at the main hall, took her meals and occasional medicines in her quarters, and played her zither in her own room. However, she felt so empty. With Seungwan gone, there was no longer happiness in anything she did. Fresh, warm tears sprang from her eyes as she played a melody and remembered so well how Seungwan always fell asleep before she reached a particular verse. It nearly induced a smile from her, nearly, if only the empty seat by her side and the cold cup of tea that was left untouched had not reminded her that Seungwan was still not here.

Despite her strong protests, Seungwan’s room had been intruded into and articles were seized as they investigated on Prince Sehun’s crimes. They found nothing, of course they would not be able to find anything, not even about the organisation. Seungwan was always so careful, so meticulous, ensuring that all documents about the organisation were removed from her room after it was not required. Seungwan had been so careful and yet…

It pierced Joohyun’s heart just to think about how they had been so powerless in that situation. They had not even managed to say goodbye to each other and up till now Joohyun had no clue where Seungwan was. They only told her that she was alive.

Joohyun could no longer stand this, and she plucked violently at the zither, not caring even if her fingers bled. She had to do something. Perhaps she should try convincing Prince Baekhyun about letting her join the investigations again.

Prince Sehun had spoken little in the past eight months. There was little progress and Joohyun knew the prince was bidding his time. Possibly because he knew he was doomed for regardless of the situation. Perhaps he thought that time would dilute his faults.  

 

Making up her mind, Joohyun went down to the cell where Prince Sehun was imprisoned in. Even though the prince was held captive, he was treated far better than the other prisoners likely because of the political consequence that would ensue if things were not handled properly.

“Prince Sehun,” Joohyun began, her voice slightly shaky for some reason.

The prince had his eyes shut but he stirred a little, as if he recognised Joohyun’s voice.

“What do you plan to do?”

There was no answer.

“Your sister, Seungwan… she is still wandering out there…”

Still no reaction.

“Do you not care about your sister? Even a little?” Joohyun raised her voice a little.

The Mongolian prince’s eyes opened wide and he stared, with malevolence, at Joohyun. No matter how deadly the prince gaze was, Joohyun would not falter. She needed Seungwan’s name to be cleared, for the truth to be out. For people to know that Seungwan had nothing to do with the machinations of Prince Sehun’s plans. With that determined thought in mind, Joohyun had decided to devote her time to gaining Sehun’s trust and convince him to confess. That was the only way she could attempt to clear Seungwan’s name and repair the ties between their two countries.

Thus, the daily routine of coming down to Sehun’s cell began. No matter rain or shine, no matter if Joohyun had ailments plaguing her, no matter if she was treated with disrespect, Joohyun would not yield.

I will bring you back, Seungwan. Trust me, I will.

**

Yeri felt like she was striking against shadow as her teacher danced about her. Each punch and kick she executed barely brushed Seungwan by. It was as if Seungwan had reached a level of supremacy during the past few months of tireless training. Their leader who had once been fearless and indomitable had finally showed her vulnerability. Yet, Yeri and the members of their organisation looked up even more to Seungwan because her vulnerability had made her even stronger, at least physically.

Seungwan was desperate to return to the palace, to Princess Joohyun’s side, young Yeri knew that. Also, Yeri knew that Seungwan was devastated by the betrayal of Prince Sehun, her brother and needed to make things just again.  

A back blow landed on Yeri’s back, knocking her onto the ground, as easily as if Seungwan was merely knocking over a child. Yeri felt the air knocked out from her lungs but she climbed up nonetheless.  

“One more round?” Yeri suggested.

Seungwan only shook her head, as she walked away in silence. Their leader had changed in other ways too. Though physically strong, Seungwan had become less lively, a lot warier and less trusting. It pained the disciple a little to see her teacher who was bristling with so much energy to be reduced to someone who was maniacal and driven only by a single goal of returning to the palace and regaining her freedom. It was evident in the way Seungwan had trained, it was evident in her eyes when she assessed the information she had gotten from her members, it was even more evident in the arts Seungwan has been practising. Their leader was into the art of disguise and deception which Yeri had unknowingly gotten to know.

Yeri did not know how or where their leader had learnt these arts, but she had gotten so good at them that once, Seungwan had walked past her in the organisation and it took Yeri a moment to figure out that it was Seungwan after sensing familiarity from her. The art of disguise; disguising her physical appearance, hiding her true emotions, Wendy had very nearly perfected it and she had hidden this from the other members in the organisation.  

It was a dangerous combination for Seungwan, to have both strength yet little trust in her people and Yeri could not help but feel a little worried for her teacher.

**

Seungwan could not stop working, she had to get back out on the streets and do something. She had read the worries in Yeri’s eyes but she had not wanted to think too much about it. It only reminded her more of Joohyun; the very same concerned look, the same way Yeri stood by Seungwan as a source of strength when things were difficult, the same way Yeri did not let Seungwan out of sight. Seungwan missed Joohyun so much, it felt as if there was a knife twisting in her gut whenever she thought about her.

Releasing a sigh as she proceeded to her favourite training room, one which she was the only one privy to and now filled with shelves wherein various instruments for her work on disguises were displayed.

Sitting in the far corner were books collected from across the lands, from Persia to Japan of teaching one how to disguise themselves masterfully. These were now her most treasured possessions and she had to thank Kyungsoo for procuring it. However, she still had not forgiven the prince for abducting her eight months ago. The sly use of the sleeping powder on her. Seungwan was still bitter about how the prince had resorted to underhanded means to incapacitate her but the cleverness of it had given her inspiration as well. Such was the inspiration. Righteousness could only achieve so much, Seungwan had learnt.

Housed in their biggest and most secure safehouse, Seungwan was given free reign to do all she wanted as long as she had promised to stay within the compound. There were watchful eyes upon her at all times and with nearly fifty people living together with her, she was akin to a prisoner. It felt like the biggest insult even if she knew the princes and her organisation members meant her well. The only entertainment that she derived from were from her own disguises. Once, her disguise had been so successful that she had nearly put the entire organisation in pandemonium for they had thought her to be missing. Ultimately, it was still Yeri who saw through her disguise and she was once again a prisoner in her own organisation.

It does not matter, Seungwan will continue to thrive harder. Before she knew it, hours had flown by while creating a new male disguise for herself. This time round, she was attempting to make a face that could pass off as a young royal troop and surprisingly, the result was really similar to the face of Prince Kyungsoo. This face was slightly too royal-looking and too unblemished to be that of a trained royal guard who had weathered through harsh conditions. Disappointed by her work, Seungwan discarded it and she could not help but think of the princes as well.

The princes must also have been heavily guarded since the incident because she had not even seen them for the past eight months and they only relayed matters to her through their messengers, even the procuring of essentials for her. What they had not done so well and intentionally so was to update her about Joohyun. It enraged Seungwan but she could not afford to show her anger.

Seungwan needed to think. She needed to consider the number of proposals the organisation has on hand now and get to work on them soon. She needed to think of ways to break her brother out of prison. And most importantly, she had to return to Joohyun’s side soon.

A set of familiar knocks on her door snapped her out of her reverie. It was Yeri, again.

Seungwan had never let anyone into the room, not even Yeri, and so she went out to receive the girl.

Craning her neck, Yeri tried to peer whatever was in the room in taunt.

“What are you doing here?” Seungwan asked icily. 

“Just checking what unorthodox arts you are practising again,” Yeri said in an attempt to make jest.

The right corner of Seungwan’s lips lifted in spite herself as she shut the door behind her and fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter