Chapter 24: Strained Siblings’ Bond

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Within a week of the use of her skilful interrogation tactics, Seungwan had managed to make Scarface and his men confess their sponsor for the attacks launched at the crown. The most impressive feat they had achieved however, was for Scarface to admit to his mistakes before all the men in his organisation. Seungwan had punished the leaders for their corrupt behaviour by taking their lives before the men, honourably. This was only accomplished through nights of coaxing the truths out; using a blend between harsh and subdued methods. Seungwan had not slept a wink in the final stages of confession and the corrupt leaders eventually broke.

It was all a brilliant sequence of plan and it quickly won the members of the organisation over to Seungwan and the princes. Irregardless of their titles, and Seungwan’s nationality. They respected Seungwan’s principles, her cause and her bravery. All of which, they believe a good leader must possess.

Unfortunately, they were unable to punish the corrupt minister for he was far too powerful and untouchable. The corrupt minister was none other than Minister Song who had so often opposed to Princess Joohyun’s proposal. By some means, the minister had managed to find himself a scapegoat and reported the wrongdoings of the scapegoat to the Emperor once he received wind that Scarface and the leaders had been stripped off their power.

During that time, Seungwan’s injury had healed considerably. Yet, Joohyun had continued to fuss about her over every single thing; overseeing the brewing of her tonic soups, rebandaging her wounds personally and even helped with her bath. It was not that Seungwan really minded but she was worried that Joohyun was overworrying about her. Once, Joohyun even tried to follow her out on her missions and they compromised with Joohyun attending some of their meetings and vetting through their plan until Seungwan could think of a better idea.

“Since you guys are dealing with corrupt officials, why should I stay out of it? I have been battling them in court for the past few years,” Joohyun said indignantly.

The princes were flabbergasted at the arrangement but found it hard to say anything when Joohyun had casted fierce glares upon them.

“It’s not that we are intentionally asking you to stay out of this but… my royal sister, it is really just too dangerous since you do not have martial arts as well. This business of ours can be physically demanding,” Prince Kyungsoo tried to reason.

“Believe me, I have told her that already,” Seungwan said.

Prince Jongdae then made another attempt, “sister, it is best if we diversify our risk and focus on our specialties. You fight the corrupt officials in court while we do it in the background. Won’t it be better?”

“I told her that too,” Seungwan said in a bored tone.

The princes looked at each other helplessly and left in defeat for the princesses to discuss the matter amongst themselves. They were all of the same mind to not let Joohyun get involved more than she already had since Seungwan has already recovered.

“Joohyun, listen. Imagine if we were all caught and incapacitated somehow. Who would be the one to save us or continue fighting those corrupt officials in court? Not you if you too were implicated.”

Seungwan’s words had made so much sense that Joohyun had found it hard to refute it. Biting her lips and trying to hold in her tears of frustration, Joohyun turned away from Seungwan. Yet, Seungwan had gripped tightly onto her shoulders and turned her around determinedly.

“Joohyun, please. Just trust us on this, your royal brothers and I are the best people to do this.”

With great reluctance, Joohyun nodded her head. It was then that a royal guard from Prince Sehun arrived for them.

“My brother summoned for Princess Joohyun and me? Not just myself?” Seungwan asked in incredulousness.

The royal guard affirmed. Even Joohyun was feeling puzzled herself. However, things became clear once they have reached Prince Sehun’s quarters.

Prince Sehun had reached for Seungwan’s injured shoulder immediately and Joohyun gasped aloud.

“You cannot hide this from me, sister. From what I have gathered, the palace intruder a week ago had taken an injury to his or her shoulder. They were most skilled in evasive techniques and had considerable sword skills.”

Gritting her teeth, Seungwan tried to mask her pain and feign ignorance. “I don’t know what you are talking about. If you are interested in catching some palace intruder then you are looking the wrong way.”

A smirk played over Prince Sehun’s lips. “Has my sister become dim-witted? Shall I ask for Taeyeon to find out from her what you have been up to?”

Joohyun swallowed at the Mongolian siblings’ hostile exchange.

“Taeyeon does not know anything. Neither does Princess Joohyun. Let her return and we will discuss between us.” Seungwan said, her temper showing.

“I think not.” Prince Sehun said flatly and turned his attention to Joohyun. In the prince’s eyes, Joohyun saw some pent-up anger. “Why have you asked for my sister to endanger herself for whatever you have asked her to accomplish for you?”

Joohyun felt tighten but before she said anything, Seungwan had stood in front of her and before her brother. “I told you, Princess Joohyun had nothing to do in this at all. She did not even know I would be out of the palace walls to meet up with certain dealers until I had returned with my injury. Anyway why should you poke into my affairs when you have not told me your business in the Bae court,” Seungwan was obviously lying.  

“You met with dealers? What for?” Sehun questioned.

Seungwan snorted derisively. “Again, why should I tell you? And why should you be interested in the shopping tendencies of ladies’?”

Sehun’s expression hardened. “You were playing around?”

Seungwan breathed in deeply. “I was not. I was merely securing some rare gifts which you should not be concerned about.”  

Prince Sehun furrowed his brows but otherwise he looked convinced. In that moment Joohyun thought he saw a shadow of the Great Khan in his youngest son. Joohyun learnt from Seungwan that besides herself, Sehun was the Great Khan’s brightest child yet Seungwan had really managed to deceive her brother.

“Fine, I apologise to Princess Joohyun’s for my assumption. I did not mean to antagonise the princess. However, I do not believe that Princess Joohyun does not know about my sister’s shopping affairs and hence I have boldly invited you over,” Sehun said insistently.

“Brother! You have been most inappropriate and your apologies have been the most insincere!” Seungwan had raised her voice and Joohyun saw Prince Sehun give in slightly.

Joohyun then took this as a cue for her to speak.

“It is true that I know of Princess Seungwan’s adventures but as for the details, I have not a single clue of and am in no position to expose Princess Seungwan before her brother.” Joohyun spoke with protectively.

Prince Sehun then shut his eyes to compose himself. “I am truly sorry for offending you. I just did not expect my sister to have become so bold in a foreign land. Judging from both your reactions, I must admit that I must have jumped to the wrong conclusion. Sister, you and I will remain to discuss. I shall not impose further on Princess Joohyun.”

Joohyun shook her head. “Since the prince has invited me over for this discussion then it is impolite for me to leave halfway.”

Prince Sehun seemed to have thoroughly regretted his decision and untimely as it was, Princess Taeyeon had announced her visit to the prince’s quarters. They all shared horrified looks with one another. Then, Prince Sehun asked the guard to decline Princess Taeyeon’s visit and that he would make up for the visit later.

“Brother, if there is nothing else for us to discuss, we shall be on our way,” Seungwan said coldly.

“Wait, Seungwan. I will pay you a visit, soon,” Prince Sehun said, his voice mellowing.

Seungwan, anger still thickly laced in her voice, replied, “fine by me.”

 

That was a close shave. Seungwan did not know how her brother had the knowledge of her injury and was thoroughly incensed with him trying to meddle in her life. Now things would just become more complicated if she did not put a stop to her brother trying to pry things from her. Seungwan would have to continue putting up the façade of a spendthrift Mongolian princess.

Joohyun had approached her carefully. Seungwan squeezed her eyes shut and threw herself onto her bed, she was also angry at herself for getting Joohyun involved.

“Seungwan, I am sorry.”

With a sigh, Seungwan beckoned Joohyun over into her arms. “Why should you be sorry? I should be the one who is apologising instead. My brother has made a villain out of you.”

Joohyun shook her head. “Your brother is right to think that way and I was foolish for thinking that I could help you out in your affairs. I would have been terrible at lying and if I had insisted on joining you then you would probably be in more trouble than this. The less people know, the better.”

Seungwan nodded. “Now, the bigger trouble is… how did my brother know about my injury?”

It was then that came tiny knocks on her door. Outside, stood a really shaken Seulgi.

“Seulgi?”

Seulgi started crying even before she entered Seungwan’s room and the Mongolian princess immediately knew.

With an exasperated sigh, Seungwan asked. “Seulgi… tell me everything.”

“T-The prince found me weeping that night and trying to wash your bloodied clothes. I-I tried to hide your clothes from him but he snatched it from me. He was about to barge into your quarters but I stopped him and told him that Princess Joohyun is tending to your injury.”

Seungwan and Joohyun both listened quietly as the palace maid continued her recounts. Joohyun had handed a hankerchief to Seulgi for her to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter