Chapter 14: The Might and Will of Women

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun was once again attending court meetings along with her other royal brothers. The Emperor and ministers were in the midst of discussing one of her numerous proposals for flood relief in several of the towns. Thus far, the reception towards it has been mixed but Joohyun could not care less. If the Emperor was wise, this would be the proposal that could win back the civilian’s heart.

“Princess, we are not in favour of your proposal for your own safety,” A minister, Minister Song, voiced out. “We are all well aware of the numerous assassination attempts on the members of the royal family and you being one of the most highly-regarded princesses will certainly be targeted.”

Joohyun replied with calm. “Which is why, minister, I have also planned to bring along more royal guards with me and engage our military power. Firstly, it gives us more manpower to aid with the relief and secondly, it would be for my safety as you have claimed it.”

Another minister, Minister Guo, guffawed rudely before he spoke, “Princess Joohyun, you might be still too young to comprehend certain… complications… our military forces are fully engaged in outposts to deter to Jurchen army of Jin and Mongolian army of Son from intruding into our homelands. They cannot possibly be mobilised for such… trivialities.”

Anger blazed in Joohyun’s chest but she held it in. “Minister Guo, as far as I know, the Jurchen army of Jin and the Mongolian army of Son are heavily involved in war with each other and we still have peace treaties with both countries. According to numerous reports, our army has been living such a carefree life that they were able to organise flamboyant events every few months with the attendance of you. I see no point why our military troops are idling in those outposts.”

Minister Guo had purpled as the Emperor turned a severe eye upon him. “This is outrageous, Princess Joohyun! You reports must have been false.”

Minister Song then jumped to Minister Guo’s rescue as he cried falsity upon Princess Joohyun’s reports. The court once again erupted into heated debate between the ministers as some of the ministers were Princess Joohyun’s informants and report gatherers. Naturally, they stood on Princess Joohyun’s side against the other ministers.

Prince Kyungsoo had interceded the furious discussion amongst the ministers then. “Ministers and Father Emperor, might I have a say? This is a proposal that my royal brothers, Prince Baekhyun and Prince Jongdae gave full support of and for that, we would be glad to participate in it as well.”

The commotion amongst the ministers had simmered down as the three princes lent their support. It was Prince Baekhyun who spoke this time round.

“Father Emperor, please give your considerations to this, time is a critical factor to this relief program and it could be one of our best chances to win back the trusts of our civilians. We must not let any one of the royalty befall the fate suffered by Princess Taeyeon.”

Joohyun looked to the eldest prince by the Empress and felt a lump forming in . Her royal brother had sounded so convicted and emotional that she was certain that he had truly fallen for Princess Taeyeon. Yet, as far as Joohyun observed, Princess Taeyeon always seemed so distant from Prince Baekhyun, as if her heart and mind laid elsewhere. Joohyun sighed as she brought her concentration back to matters at hand.

“Very well… this proposal, I will leave it up to Prince Baekhyun to be in charge and for Princess Joohyun, Prince Kyungsoo and Prince Jongdae to assist. Defence minister, guide the princes and princess along in the engagement of idle troops.”

“Yes, your majesty,” The defence minister replied in reverence.

**

“How did the court meeting go?” Seungwan asked as she practiced close combat with a dagger.

“Some of the ministers disapproved strongly to my proposal but fortunately I was backed up Prince Baekhyun and Kyungsoo,” Joohyun stated.

“Let me guess, its Minister Song and Minister Guo who were against your cause,” Seungwan said with a lift of her brow and another swish of her dagger in the air.

“Yes, it is them.”

Seungwan gave a derisive snort. “What excuse did they use this time round?”

“They made it sound nice, Minister Song said it was for my own safety since there have been numerous assassination attempts on the royal blood.”

Seungwan paused in her practice and shot a look at Joohyun. “He said that?! When he knew that you have the mighty Mongolian princess, Son Seungwan, by your side?”  

Joohyun shook her head and brought a hand up to massage her temple. “Remind me how your ego got so huge.”

Seungwan laughed heartily and sheathed her dagger, approaching Joohyun with a confident gait. “That is not my ego, it is my confidence in protecting you, my courtly princess.”

A small smile graced Joohyun’s face before she let out a huge sigh. “Seungwan… I don’t need you to protect me. We have royal guards and you are also a princess, you are not my guard, you are my companion.”

“A companion who can double as a guard, isn’t that even better?” Seungwan said.

Joohyun shook her head in defeat before she held out her hand. Seungwan knew what she wanted and laid the sheathed dagger which belonged to her mother in the courtly princess’s hand. If it had been years ago, Seungwan would never have let anyone touch her precious memento but it was Joohyun and they had been together for a few years now.

“Why have you been practising so much with the dagger lately?” Joohyun asked as she examined the dagger and traced a finger over the patterns on the leather sheath which she usually does.  

Seungwan took the dagger from Joohyun’s hand and said, “because a dagger is swifter and easily concealable. It’s a better weapon when it comes to close combat.”

Joohyun blinked. “Are you really thinking of… Seungwan please… if there is an attempt on us then I want us to run, together, and not for you to fight.”

Seungwan nodded. “It is just for precaution then. I won’t let what happened to my sister happen to us.”

Empathy had entered Joohyun’s eyes and Seungwan forced herself to look away. Joohyun still took Seungwan’s hand nonetheless. “Seungwan you don’t have to hide your anger or nervousness about your sister’s incident from me, you know that right? We have already known each other for so long, you can tell me whatever you wish to and I will keep them a secret.”

Seungwan shuddered dramatically and shrugged it off. “Princess Joohyun, you make the matter sound too… serious. Don’t worry, I am feeling well, neither too angry nor too nervous now. I will meet my sister in a short while, be careful while you are alone.”

Joohyun mimicked Seungwan’s smirk. “Princess Seungwan, it is broad daylight and I am surrounded by dozens of guards. Don’t worry about me.”

Seungwan’s expression had darkened as she held Joohyun’s hand tighter. “My sister and Prince Baekhyun were protected by dozens of guards that night too…”

But before Seungwan could finish her sentence, Joohyun had put a finger to her lips. “Okay, I will be careful. Now go find your sister.”

Nodding, Seungwan left promptly but when they had untangle their hands from each ot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter