Chapter 31: An Unrivalled Noble Love

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The princes looked worn out and Seungwan even more so. They had been working and planning right before the next big meeting with the organisation. They three young leaders had wanted the core members of the organisation to all be involved in this plan. It would be their most elaborate execution to date and they would require all the manpower to ensure there would be no fall throughs.

“Minister Song’s crimes must be brought to light. It would be the best reward to our years of hard work,” Taeyong said.

A few members nodded their heads eagerly and agreed. Seungwan felt her chest swelling with pride at their vigour and the determination that burned in each and every one of their eyes. This organisation was her sweat and blood and she had painstakingly groomed them to reach where they were now, together with the princes.

Each one of her members was like a fiber woven into a fishing net, they would have to work seamlessly together and not allow any loopholes for their target to escape. Despite the number of setbacks they had faced, the doubt they had received as young leaders, the risks that loomed ahead, they had made it this far, as an organisation and it had delighted her greatly. It was a pity that she would have to leave the noble work to her members as she would be leaving with Joohyun. Trust, she would have to prove that she could trust her members.

“Joohyun and I would be away from the palace. That will be the opportune moment for both of you princes to lead the strike with our members,” Seungwan reminded and was heartened to see the unwavering determination in her members’ eyes.

Like her, they trusted themselves too. Seungwan did not have to do all the groundwork herself.

“Taeyong, Seulgi, update us on human resourcing.”   

Taeyong and Seulgi had steely looks in their eyes as they gave a curt nod. Both of them would be planning manpower, dividing them into two groups, one to bring Minister Song’s aides to justice and the other to follow Princess Joohyun and Seungwan during their trip to build and repair infrastructure in several major towns and smaller provinces as well as to provide them with updates and protection whichever is necessary.

“Seungwan, are you really adamant on not letting Joohyun help us in this?” Jongdae asked, implication thick in his voice.

“Yes, I am. Joohyun has to stay out of this,” Seungwan said with conviction.

“Brother, are you afraid that the two of us are inept at bringing the corrupt minister down before our very own Father Emperor?” Kyungsoo japed.

Jongdae raised a brow and retorted. “Of course not but I am just afraid that we might let him slip away this time again.”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “Fret not brother, we have ensured that our methods are watertight this time. Our organisation was young but we have matured over the years and we have learnt from our mistakes. We can do this and it is best the Seungwan and Joohyun is away from the palace during this period so that our subject will let their guards down.”

“It is just a little regretful that Seungwan would not get to witness this,” Jongdae said in mockery.

Seungwan gave a wintry smile. “I would rather be tucked in a safe place in times of turmoil.”

The rest guffawed and laughed.

“Seungwan, do not kid yourself. You would be the last to run but I understand your concern for my sister and I would thank you for that,” Jongdae said with a confident smile and touched her hair in a sudden moment of tenderness.

Seulgi was slightly startled whilst the rest of the members turned away with knowing grins on their faces. Only Kyungsoo could not tore his gaze away from his brother and Seungwan.

Seungwan slapped Jongdae’s hand away playfully and scolded. “Prince Jongdae, be serious.”

Jongdae cleared his throat and returned to the discussion, more serious than before.

By the end of the meeting, Seungwan could not help but feel excited about their plans even though she could not be there to witness its fruition. Seungwan would not risk Joohyun’s safety by staying in the palace as the events unfold and it took a lot of convincing from Seungwan to make Joohyun accept the proposal that would take her out of the palace for at least a month.

**

Kyungsoo knew what had prompted Jongdae to visit him and to be truthful, he had been preparing a long time for this day to come. The sputtering candlelight from the gust of wind as well as the hooded look of secrecy in his brother’s eyes prompted Kyungsoo to shutter his windows. A veil of trusted silence fell over them as Kyungsoo prepared tea for them both for the long discussion that was to come.

After small talks about various proposals submitted in the court and a few cups of tea, Jongdae was finally ready to divulge the true intention of his visit.

Folding his hand behind his back as he paced about his brother’s room, Jongdae began speaking, “Kyungsoo, I will be proposing for a betrothal between Seungwan and myself once this mission has blown over. What do you think?”

Kyungsoo, still seated at the tea table, peered into his brother’s eyes and saw so much sincerity in them that Kyungsoo found it difficult to say his next words. Alas, he had to do it.

“Brother, I do not think it is wise for you to propose that.”

Seungwan is not for us to have brother. Kyungsoo wished to say it because since a very long time ago, Kyungsoo had seen in Seungwan’s actions and words that her heart belonged to someone else. And that someone else was none other than his royal sister, Joohyun. The devastation that this realisation had brought to him had been crippling for a period of time. Kyungsoo never knew how much pain love could bring to someone and to learn that Seungwan would be the only person he would ever come to truly love in this lifetime had left Kyungsoo unable to accept the fact that it was an unrequited one.

Kyungsoo knew that Seungwan’s feelings for her sister was returned from every affectionate gazes and touches Joohyun would give to Seungwan. Many a times, Kyungsoo was tempted to rip the two apart or to oust their relationship to the public but he could not bear to do that. He berated the heavens for making his love life this miserable and he battled with his inner voice on how he would deal with this cruel knowledge.

His sister and Seungwan was in a taboo relationship.

Kyungsoo has heard of such taboo relationships before in the past, often between males and knew that it was possible for such romantic feelings to blossom between females as well. Over time, Kyungsoo had begun to find peace in this knowledge. They were the two persons that Kyungsoo had loved dearly in his life and their happiness was akin to his own happiness as well. So, Kyungsoo decided to protect their relationship as he regarded his brother with an unflinching gaze.

Jongdae must have expected a wholly different answer and his expression reflected a mixture of confoundedness and betrayal.

“W-Why not?” Jongdae asked, his attempt at evening his tone was apparent.

Looking into his brother’s eyes icily, Kyungsoo took another sip from his teacup and said, “because I am intending to do the same as well.”

There was a moment of stunned silence from Jongdae before his elder brother turned away.  

Moments passed between them. The silence was palpable, fraught with tension, as if either of them were ready to release the arrow from its strung up bow. It was Jongdae who released his first.  

Jongdae shook his head and let out a snort of laughter. “And I was worrying that you have no intentions to marry, I guess I should cast aside that worry now. To think that we both fell for the same girl.”

Kyungsoo returned a terse nod, his fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter