Chapter 39: A Prayer for Eternity

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Under heavy disguises and the use of cleverly forged documents, the princesses had passed the city’s guards the same day Joohyun left the palace. They had rested at several small establishments and Joohyun did not fail to notice how there was always the same group men checking into the same inn as them. People from the organisation. Joohyun sighed. Of course, these were the people who had kept Seungwan away during this period of time and yet they had kept her safe as well. Trying to not pay any mind to the presence of these men, Joohyun focused all her attention on Seungwan.

Even though Seungwan had often worn smiles and her words carried warmth as usual, Joohyun could still notice the changes in her wildling princess. Seungwan had been cautious before, however her precaution measures now were at times excessive to Joohyun.

“Joohyun, don’t leave the room without telling me. Don’t even think of going near the door. Promise me that, will you?” Seungwan told her with a smile on the first night they had spent together.

“Why?” Joohyun asked curiously.

Seungwan nodded towards two tiny contraptions at either ends of the doors. Joohyun’s curiosity soared, and she regarded Seungwan with raised brows. Walking over to the contraption and seizing one of it, Seungwan pointed the contraption away from them before pulling at a string at the base of it. A torrential rain of fine needles shot out in a single direction. Joohyun jumped backwards in reflex and her breath caught in .

“Needles coated with venom will shoot out from them if these doors are opened without permission,” Seungwan explained with calm.   

The column of Joohyun’s throat bobbed as she studied the needles stuck in the doors. “W-What?”

Continuing with an easy manner, and wearing her gloves as she removed those needles, Seungwan said, “not deadly enough to kill in one sting but enough to disorientate careless intruders. Do not worry, no one will pass through these doors, even the innkeeper and the staffs have been given strict instructions to never disturb us.”  

Besides that, even though Seungwan had been physically with her for the past three days, a part of Seungwan’s mind seemed elsewhere, as if she were constantly ruminating about something incomprehensible to Joohyun.  

 

On the second night that they were together, Joohyun found out that they would be reaching their destination by next morning. It made Joohyun realise such simple moments were all she asked for, taking each day as it and enjoying each other’s presence. Once, they were both granted such sacred moments together, yet now it all felt like a wispy dream, like smoke that could easily slip through their fingers.

“Joohyun, I have missed you so much,” Seungwan said as she directed her eyes full of passion at Joohyun. A look with such mesmerising quality that Joohyun would willingly drown in them and admire them all day.

A slanted smile formed slowly on Seungwan’s face as she took Joohyun in her arms. Joohyun felt Seungwan’s breath against her neck and relished in the sensation.

“Don’t get me started on how much I miss you as well, my wildling princess.” Joohyun returned as emotions welled up in her chest and her eyes became blurry with a film of tears.

“Bae Joohyun, it has been a year. Words cannot even describe the longing I have had for you. No matter what, you would have to trust that we would be reunited and that I am still the same Seungwan.” Seungwan asked as she broke away from their hug to peer into each other’s faces. The impish grin that Seungwan often had on crept into her face as she cradled Joohyun’s face.

“Where are we going, Seungwan?”

“A place where I find myself fonder of visiting over the past four months since I have been granted more freedom to roam outside the organisation. Usually, it would have taken slightly more than a day to reach but I enjoy taking this journey on a leisurely pace with you.”

Even though Joohyun agreed with the part about travelling at a leisurely pace, her question still went unanswered. Pursing her lips in scepticism, Joohyun pressed on. “And where is this place?”

“Secret. You will know when we have reached.”

Joohyun’s lips curved as she asked tauntingly. “Are you planning to abduct me?”  

It was undeniable that Seungwan’s heightened cautions and secretiveness had scared Joohyun a little at first, but she believed in Seungwan’s words. As long as she could be with Seungwan, and that they were safe together, she could not ask for more.

 

As soon as dawn broke, the two princesses had gone on their way. This time round, Joohyun sensed that there were no men from the organisation tailing them. After hours of riding at an inclined angle, Joohyun realised they had arrived, and it was truly at a place she had not expected. Seungwan had brought her to a temple residing within a niche in the mountainside. Seungwan had hopped down the horse and helped Joohyun down carefully before tying their horse to a sturdy tree.

Joohyun’s eyes stayed affixed on Seungwan the entire time and her heart gave a little flutter when Seungwan had thrown her a wink as she walked back towards her. Joohyun had automatically slipped her arms into Seungwan’s when she had offered it.

Seungwan gave a slanted smile and as they began walking towards the huge monastery. Joohyun began to unlink her arms from Seungwan as she thought how inappropriate it might have been.

They passed by numerous nuns who were about their duties and gave slight bows to them as if anticipating their presence. Joohyun followed Seungwan who returned a bow to all of them. When they finally arrived at the main prayer hall, a feeling of indescribable relief settled over Joohyun’s chest. Two prayer cushions were laid before them, and it was only when the Abbess came out to greet them that Joohyun had realised that this temple had no monks and only housed nuns. Joohyun did not know why this fact stood out to her. Perhaps it was a reminder to her of women’s authority. It was a good reminder for Seungwan had been the one from the beginning to remind her of this value.  

From the exchange of words between Seungwan and the Abbess, Joohyun learnt that Seungwan has been contributing to the maintenance of this temple since a long time ago. Joohyun later also knew that many children were housed in and raised in this temple until they were of age to fend for themselves. It was no wonder that Seungwan had chosen to maintain the upkeep of this temple.

Later, the pair sat in silence as they listened to the prayer session led by the Abbess. Joohyun knew why Seungwan had brought her to this place; she had wanted the two of them to still their hearts and minds, even if its effect lasts for only a few days, it would be worth it. The prayer had a calming effect on Joohyun felt a knot in her heart slightly loosened.

This moment, the moment of their reunion, had been long awaited and they had so much emotions; of grievances and anger that they wanted to spill to one another but there was no point to it. Stilling their hearts and minds was the only way in which they could concentrate on what mattered most to them, the one thing they wanted to convey to one another. Their devotion to one another.

 

The Abbess kindly guided them to the backcourt of the temple which opened the view to several greater and steeper cliffs beyond and a steep drop to a small ravine beneath. It was only then that Joohyun realised they were actually pretty high up and that the scenery here was like no other; as if they have traversed into a fairy realm.  

A reverent nod passed between Seungwan and the Abbess before they were left alone.

Joohyun drank in the view before her; of the stream that ran through the valleys beneath them and sparkled in the morning sun, of the endless mountain peaks that seemed to stretch endlessly into the horizon, of the many eagles that circled ahead of them. It was all peaceful and it returned Joohyun’s mind to the time when Seungwan and her had enjoyed such calmness back when they were in Mongolia. Now that stood between them all were schemes and even more schemes.

“This place has one of the greatest views I have ever seen. Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter