Chapter 4: The Zither and the Sword

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The negotiations for the peace treaty took longer than expected. The Mongolian royal entourage had stayed in the palace for two weeks and Seungwan’s patience was wearing thin. The young Mongolian princess craved of the grasses and dusts beneath her horses’ hooves. She missed the azure blue sky with an abundance of predatory birds circulating in it. She missed her combat trainings with her brothers and other children. Yet, no matter how much she thought or missed home, Seungwan was still stuck in the palace. They all knew what caused such a delay but they could not speak of it.

What made things worst was that Chanyeol had been allowed to return home to carry messages and bore the additional burden of spreading the message to his father, Im’Run Khan. Taeyeon was perpetually stuck with Miyoung and Seungwan could understand that. Both her elder sister and Miyoung had been devastated by the proposal the Emperor offered. It made Seungwan angry, she was angry that they were being manipulated. This would explain why the Emperor had wanted the discussions to be on his territory.

The only thing that made Seungwan’s stay slightly more bearable was the presence of Prince Jongdae and Kyungsoo. Despite not being as good as her brothers, the two princes were still fairly skilled in weapons, especially the sword and the spear. Unlike the Mongolian sword which was slightly curved, the doubled-edged sword used by the Han people of Bae was as straight as a pole. Seungwan had rarely been trained in the sword of the Han people so it had been interesting to her initially but once she had gotten used to the weapon after a few days, her interests in it was beginning to wane.

Noticing the princess’s fading interest, the royal brothers then suggested something new to do.

“Should we go visit Joohyun?” Prince Jongdae asked in a spur of moment.

“The princess?” Seungwan asked and realised that during the two weeks of their stay, she had not seen the princess again.

It was like what they had said, Princess Joohyun never leaves her quarters unless absolutely necessary. Prince Kyungsoo cautioned his brother about the possibility of disturbing the courtly princess but Prince Jongdae had no such concerns.

“Kyungsoo, we have not visited Joohyun for so long, she must be missing us already,” Jongdae said again.

A look of consternation still hung over Prince Kyungsoo’s face but he nodded. “Yes, she must be a little lonely. Princess Seungwan, w-would you like to go visit our royal sister?”

Seungwan did not understand why there was a need for the princes to make such a fuss about visiting their royal sister but was not too bothered by their exchange. Shrugging, Seungwan said. “Let’s go then.”

Prince Jongdae chuckled. “You sound so unwilling. Come on, our royal sister is not always boring. She can sometimes be an interesting playmate, when she is not too sick,” Prince Jongdae said.

“When she is not too sick,” Prince Kyungsoo agreed in a soft voice.  

Seungwan sighed heavily. “Why is Princess Joohyun always so ill? Is she under some black magic?”

The princes looked at Seungwan as if she was speaking gibberish and Seungwan realised that they must not be used to tales of magics and witchcrafts unlike back in her homeland. Throwing her hand up in defeat, she reworded her question. “Why is Princess Joohyun always so sick?”

“Beats me… father Emperor has been doing his everything to cure her but it just does not seem to work. Mother says she has a weak constituent,” Prince Jongdae said.  

Seungwan narrowed her eyes as she thought of the possibilities but decided to keep mum about it. “Well then, let’s go and visit her.”

Both princes nodded and whilst Prince Jongdae ran ahead, Prince Kyungsoo had held out a hand for Seungwan to take. Seungwan looked at the prince’s outstretched hand tentatively and after seeing the small smile on his face, decided to take it. Prince Kyungsoo beamed and led Seungwan carefully on.

 

They were greeted by the melodious sounds from a musical instrument which Seungwan recognised as a zither and both the princes grinned. Seungwan remembered the sound from that instrument because Taeyeon had once tried playing them too but had failed so terribly at it. It sounded almost like falcons screeching and other times like crows cawing.

“Our Joohyun is in the mood for music today so she must be feeling rather well. You’re lucky Princess Seungwan, let’s head in,” Prince Jongdae said merrily.

This part of the palace, where Princess Joohyun lived, was far quieter and desolate compared to where the princes’ quarters were. Palace maids and royal guards were sparse and yet the two princes still led Seungwan to skirt around the compound discreetly. Seungwan could not help but relate to their behaviours as thieves, like how her brothers, Jongin, Sehun, and her would often behave like when they were trying to steal a taste of roast from the cooking yurts. It excited Seungwan a little.

Prince Jongdae later went ahead after warning his brother and her to remain hidden behind a willow tree. From their hiding spot, Seungwan saw Prince Jongdae whip his head around and confirming that there were no stray palace maids about the princess’s compound, Prince Jongdae shouted in a singsong voice, “Joohyun!!! We are here!”

The tune from the zither never ceased. It was when they were this close that Seungwan found out just how beautiful the music sounded. Completely unlike Taeyeon’s attempts.

“Joohyun!!” Prince Jongdae used that singsong voice again and the music stopped abruptly.

Seungwan almost felt sad that the song was interrupted and had not ended naturally. Back in her homeland, she liked to play the Tsuur, which was like the Han people’s bamboo flute, they sometimes calmed the cattle like her mother said it would and Seungwan was pretty good at it.  

The doors to the princess’s quarters opened slowly and in its place stood a simply clad princess. Joohyun must not have been expecting Seungwan to be there and a flicker of surprise passed over her face.

“Prince Jongdae, Kyungsoo,” Princess Joohyun said with a small curtsy before she turned to Seungwan. “Princess Seungwan,” Princess Joohyun added, with a more formal curtsy than the ones she gave her brother.

Seungwan stared, not knowing if she was supposed to be greeting the princess back in the same way. In the end, she did.

“What brings you to my quarters?” Princess Joohyun asked.

Prince Jongdae had a huge grin plastered across his face. “Why are you so formal, sister? Is it because Seungwan is here? Just drop all formalities with her, she is just like us, only wilder.”

Seungwan gave a mean jab to the prince in his ribs and heard Prince Kyungsoo holding in a snigger. Meanwhile, Princess Joohyun pursed her lips as she shuttled her attention between her royal brothers and Seungwan.

“You got close really quickly,” Princess Joohyun said pointedly. “I am sorry brothers and Princess Seungwan, I am not feeling well enough to receive guests.”

Seungwan looked at Princess Joohyun and instantly knew that she was not welcomed. It was apparent to her that Princess Joohyun had no intentions of getting too well acquainted with her. That did not matter, Seungwan did not want to be her friend either.

“Don’t lie. We heard you playing your zither so you must be in better spirits today,” Prince Jongdae said obtrusively.  

Which was why she did not want me to ruin her good mood. Seungwan thought to herself.

Deciding to spare Princess Joohyun of the trouble of having to make up more excuses, Seungwan said, “if Princess Joohyun is not feeling well today then she should use some rest. I can continue my training with the sword.”

The princes let out sounds of disappointment but did nothing more. Perhaps the princes’ reaction had changed Princess Joohyun’s mind. Perhaps Princess Joohyun decided to not be so rude after all. Or perhaps, Princess Joohyun was really lonely, just as Seungwan was about to turn to go, Princess Joohyun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter