Chapter 28: Flower Baths and Rising Tensions

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Both the princesses had returned to the palace discreetly before the morning sun was up. Joohyun was still sleepy as she allowed herself to be led by Seungwan all the way back. Their bodies were slightly sore from their little escapade and their heads still felt a little heavy from all that drinking. However, one memory would forever be etched in their minds and that would be the magical moment they had shared the night before.

Now before Seungwan was about to convene with the princes, Seungwan needed to keep her mind fresh and stow away that moment.

Kyungsoo had arrived right after the morning court session while Jongdae was still stuck in a conversation with Prince Baekhyun.

“Had a fun time with my royal sister?” Kyungsoo asked.

Discarding royal etiquettes, Seungwan stretched a little and yawned unreservedly before the prince. Kyungsoo smiled.

“That is good. Joohyun seemed to be in great spirits at the morning court session as well.”

Seungwan’s mouth quirked up. “Really? How was she like?”

Kyungsoo nodded. “Yea. She did look a little tired but she handled the difficult ministers especially well today, Minister Song and Guo had no choice but to give in to multiple of our proposals.”

The smirk on Seungwan’s face remained as she replied, “that is great then, as long as Joohyun is happy. Anyway, thank you for covering up for our disappearance last night. I brought back jars of the city’s best wine as a gift.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes had widened just a fraction and his smile grew wider. “You did not have to. I was the one who suggested it anyway.”

“All the more I should thank you for it,” Seungwan said with a punch to Kyungsoo’s arm.  

“What is this talk I am missing?” Jongdae had arrived.

“Nothing, we are just getting started,” Kyungsoo said quickly and they began their discussions.

It was during this meeting that the trio realised they had so many things to deal with. First, they had to weed out the spies in the palace, then they had to come up with a plan to topple Minister Song once and for all, finally they would have to ensure that the damage to the ties between Jin and Bae would be kept to a minimum.

The first step to identify spies within the palace was the toughest and would put in place the rest of the events. The trio frustrated over the best plans on how they should go about doing it without alerting the schemers.

“Spy on spies, using our own men from the organisation,” Seungwan said.

Kyungsoo and Jongdae both looked at her with doubt.

“Look. We cannot possibly interrogate anyone, that idea has run through my mind and it is just not plausible. We cannot risk hiring spies from within the palace since who do not know who are already our enemies’ men. The best we can hope for is to bring our men in as royal guards or palace maids and have them spy for us.”

Jongdae voiced his main concern. “That is going to take a really long time, and by then, much damage could already have been done. You heard the Jin emissary yourself, they were plotting to kill some of the royals.”

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes, “yes, it will take a long time but… the best plans always do. In the meantime, what we can hope for is to distract the Jins.”

“Distract? How?” Jongdae asked.

Kyungsoo smiled. “What did our predecessor, the Emperor of Tang do to keep the foreign emissaries here?”

“What?” Jongdae asked, rather dumbly.

An enigmatic smile crept into Kyungsoo’s face, one that Seungwan has rarely seen and to be truthful, it scared her a little. “He entertains them. Women, arts, and other frivolous trips.”

Seungwan pursed her lips, before the slanted smile returned to her face. She had not thought that Kyungsoo could have so many ideas up his sleeves.

“It is going to cost a lot,” Jongdae warned.

“Tell me if you do not have the budget for it,” Kyungsoo returned.

Seungwan enjoyed watching the brothers come up with schemes of their own and was even more delighted that it had sounded like a plausible idea.

“Very well… then let us divide up the work. We will see to keeping the emissary busy and bringing in our men separately. Jongdae, you are best at entertainment, you take that. Kyungsoo and I will focus on selecting and training our men to bring into the palace,” Seungwan said and the two princes agreed with the plan.   

“As for dealing with Minister Song… we shall do it concurrently with the hiring of the spies. For this, we might require Joohyun’s inputs from time to time but I would never allow her to have the full picture of our plans.”

Kyungsoo nodded. “Yes, we do require an extra mind but I agree with not implicating Joohyun any further.”

Jongdae smiled lazily. “Then it would be up to our Seungwan to coax plans out from our royal sister then.”

“Naturally,” Seungwan replied with a wolfish grin.

**

Joohyun was already waiting for Seungwan at her own quarters when Seungwan went over. A basin of hot water at the ready. Seungwan took a towel from within the basin and covered it over her face as she sighed at the feeling of relief.

“Scheming again, with my royal brothers,” Joohyun said with slight reproach in her voice.

Seungwan had to smile. Joohyun just would not let her off without a nag or two every single time she dealt with such activities.

“Anyway, Joohyun, just remember that you are in danger until we have found out who is spying on us,” Seungwan said weariedly as she collapsed herself on bed.

“Seungwan… are you really not just a bit too paranoid.” Joohyun followed suit and laid beside Seungwan.

Seungwan shook her head and her eyes were grave. “I am not. Even our little escapade the day before had to be thoroughly planned. You don’t know just how much resources…”

Upon noticing Seungwan’s increased agitation, Joohyun then sealed Seungwan’s mouth with a kiss. “I know… you have been working hard even though you refuse to tell me anything.”

The kiss was so reminiscent of last night’s activity that Seungwan could not resist the urge to tease Joohyun a little. Seungwan flipped herself so she was atop of Joohyun and closed a hand over the courtly princess’s mouth to muffle a surprised squeal.

“You do not want to alert the guards nor the maids, do you?” Seungwan asked naughtily.

Joohyun shook her head and removed Seungwan’s hand, gasping slightly. “You surprised me!” Joohyun slapped Seungwan’s arms as she scolded.

Seungwan laughed aloud and rolled herself off. “Well… don’t you like surprises?”

“No, I prefer mundane. Don’t you know it?”

“Mundane? I had no idea.”

“Yes, I prefer mundane. I want to do things repeatedly with you.”

“Things like this?” Seungwan asked and kissed Joohyun the next second.

Their kiss lasted so much longer than the previous times and very much wetter as they hooked their tongues repeatedly. Joohyun had a penchant for massaging Seungwan’s rear whilst Seungwan preferred fondling Joohyun’s chest. Seungwan attributed their relationship morphing overnight into some much more mature and sensual to the magical moment they had shared.            

They were disturbed by a small knock on their door. It was Seulgi.

**

News about Taeyeon’s possible infertility had roused the Empress and earned Taeyeon a visit from her. They were in the middle of an awkward discussion about women’s reproductive capabilities when Sehun had decided to pay a visit.

The Empress was slightly offended when the prince had ignored hints to be turned away and instead joined in their discussion. However, with Sehun’s honeyed tongue, the Empress soon enjoyed the company of the prince who shared the same concerns as her.

“For the past two years, I have been updating my father Khan about my sisters’ wellbeing and of the Empress generosity towards my elder sister. However, we are most ashamed that Taeyeon has yet produced an heir for Prince Baekhyun and the dismal news from the imperial physicians.”

The Empress nodded in agreement as she listened attentively. Sehun then moved on to suggest a few more remedies for Taeyeon to try out and even for Taeyeon to visit the temples weekly. Sehun had spoken so smoothly that the Empress was very much impressed and convinced that Sehun was of the same heart as her.

Right after the Empress had left, Taeyeon had sat her brother down for a talk.

“Sehun, what are you doing?” Taeyeon asked in irritation.

Sehun shrugged. “Why? Helping you get out of this marriage and be sent back to Mongolia, of course?”

Taeyeon gasped in surprise. Sehun had never been part of the discussion with them, only Miyoung and Seungwan should know of their plans. “How did you know…”

Sehun raised his brows, as if in puzzlement himself. “Know what? I only know you have no fondness for Prince Baekhyun and that father wants you home regardless. I have told father about your possible infertility and though regretful, it might be a blessing in disguise. Rest assured sister, the remedies I spoke of and temple visits are just to placate the Empress. It is even better if the remedies do not work and that the temple visits are grim.”

Taeyeon calmed herself down as her mind processed her brother’s words. Sehun seemed to not have knowledge that her infertility was pretend and that meant that Sehun must be working on schemes of his own. Taeyeon suddenly felt her head aching. Why are her younger siblings so full of plots and cunning?

“Sehun, whatever your plans are for me, remember to update me about them okay?” Taeyeon said weariedly.

Sehun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter