Chapter 16: Wild Ambitions and a Charitable Heart

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Joohyun still isn’t feeling well?” Prince Kyungsoo asked in concern.

“She said she is but I don’t believe her. You know how your royal sister is like,” Seungwan said as she hefted wooden planks up and rested them on her shoulders.

Prince Kyungsoo had wanted to help her but Seungwan shook her head.

Upon witnessing the pair, Prince Jongdae laughed and said, “come on, brother, do you not already know that our Princess Seungwan is a male in disguise despite of her short stature?”

Seungwan shot Prince Jongdae a fierce glare as she moved past them.

“Princess Seungwan, you do not have to do all these. Your arm injury is still of great concern and we cannot afford for you to sustain further injuries,” Prince Baekhyun had interrupted the trio’s conversation suddenly.

A pair of military men immediately lifted the planks easily from Seungwan’s shoulders. Seungwan watched balefully as the men carried on with her work.

“Princess Seungwan, perhaps you could join us in our logistics discussion since my royal sister is still abed. It is an equally important work too,” Prince Baekhyun urged and Seungwan complied.

The logistics meeting was a fairly large one with the attendance of several military leaders and captains of the guards. All with a common goal of transporting building materials to the affected areas.

Much to Seungwan’s delight, the discussion was not as boring as Seungwan thought. In fact, she could understand why Joohyun enjoyed it as well. It required a lot of thorough planning and insights. Every single route they chose, the budget, manpower, it was all heavy work. Seungwan caught Prince Jongdae’s eyelids shutting a few times. Prince Kyungsoo was quiet but gave numerous helpful suggestions whilst Seungwan mainly listened and absorbed things from all parties.

That night when she returned back to her tent with Joohyun, she shared everything with the princess after they had shared a kiss, again. Joohyun had laughed periodically when Seungwan imitated how Prince Jongdae had looked during the meeting and at some of the ridiculous inputs during the meeting.

“Well… sounds like you really enjoyed that meeting,” Joohyun said and broke out into a cough later.

Seungwan frowned as she fastened a coat about the sickly princess and soothed her.

“Anyway, my father Emperor has received reports about the infiltration attempt on our camp and ordered us to return swiftly.”

Seungwan sighed. “I know that was coming. It took a while after all.”

“Prince Baekhyun tried his best to delay the reports in order for us to do more work here but now that things have stabilised, it is wise that we return as father wishes us to. After all, we have suffered a great number of casualties and would require to replace the guards and maids who have lost their lives during this vicious attempt.”

Seungwan ground her teeth. “I still cannot believe these rebels tried to attack a relief camp. If they have the manpower and resources they should do something more meaningful rather than waste their lives on these suicide missions.”

Joohyun sighed loudly as she tugged at Seungwan’s still-bandaged arm and caressed it. “Some people are driven mad with their ideals. We cannot blame them.”

Seungwan rolled her eyes. “Foolish people. I wish I could kill their rebel leaders and lead them properly, to do more meaningful things.”

A look of concern passed over Joohyun’s face and Seungwan immediately held her tongue.

“I was saying… I wish…”

“And if your wishes came true?” Joohyun asked sceptically.

Seungwan swallowed the lump that had formed in . An internal debate began between telling the truth to Joohyun and lying to her.

“I want you to answer me honestly. What if your wish came true. What if you had the rebel men under your command. What would you really do?”

Truth won.

“I would put them to good use. Help the civilians in need discreetly and minimise antagonising the royal family but I would not hesitate to take the riches from corrupt officials like Minister Song and Guo.”

“You would play vigilante.”

It was a statement, not a question. Seungwan could only nod.

Joohyun had shut her eyes and reclined against the bed then. Seungwan supported her and pressed the back of the palm onto Joohyun’s forehead to check if she was running a fever. No fever.  

“Joohyun, are you mad?” Seungwan asked carefully.

Joohyun met Seungwan’s eyes with a hard gaze, “I am not. I just need some time to think through what you have said.”  

Seungwan gave a tilt of her head and Joohyun’s hair, “rest princess, we will be travelling a great distance back to the palace tomorrow. You cannot afford to pass out halfway.”

Joohyun gave a thin-lipped smile and said, “I am not that weak.”

“Yes, my courtly princess, you aren’t. You were just overworked, I have heard that explanation many times. So now, my overworked princess, rest early.”

“What are you going to do while I rest then?” Joohyun asked.

“Watch you rest,” Seungwan replied with a cheeky smile.

Joohyun rolled her eyes but it seemed as if she was also bent on keeping Seungwan by her side as she clutched her hand and arm tightly.

 

Seungwan had not realised that they have been away for two weeks. When she had returned to the palace, her royal siblings, together with Miyoung, were already awaiting for her appearance and that made her nervous.

Clamping her lips tightly, Seungwan threw a solemn look to Joohyun who only smiled weakly at her.

Once she had disembarked from Scarlet, the naggings began. As always, Taeyeon, was the first to start, fussing over her bandaged arm. Fortunately, the princes were there as well and Taeyeon had tried to contain her chagrin a little.

“Another injury! You fought this time round too!” Taeyeon screamed the moment the stepped into her room and closed the doors behind her.

Miyoung had stood to a side of the room as the eldest Mongolian princess ravaged on.

Prince Sehun interfered in a weak attempt to help Seungwan. “Well… Seungwan killed a handful of rebels at least.”

“Exactly! Why are you killing people?! You are a princess and… and…”

“I ought to be protected by the guards?” Seungwan added and it was akin to adding fuel to flames.

The princes immediately gave her warning glances and imperceptible shaking of their heads.

Miyoung had stepped in and truly saved Seungwan’s skin. “Princess Taeyeon, might I have a say in this matter? As far as everyone knows, Princess Seungwan had been training in martial arts since a tender age and is exceptionally good at it. If Princess Seungwan did not help out during the rebel infiltration, it might have reflected really badly on her instead.”

The princes and Seungwan nodded their heads.

“Also, she got injured this time round while trying to save Princess Joohyun’s life. The Emperor of Bae has already heard about this and planned to handsomely reward Princess Seungwan. Be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter