Chapter 30: Blazing Phoenix of Rebirth

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan decided to pull Seulgi from her chores whilst the morning court session was on and while Princess Joohyun and the princes were occupied. The maid looked so perturbed that it had worried Seungwan a little.

They met in her own quarters.

“What is it, Seulgi?”

“Princess Seungwan, you must first forgive me for my insolence…”

Seungwan pursed her lips and japed, attempting to lighten the mood. “Come on Seulgi. Since when do you need my forgiveness for your insolence. Your head would have rolled down the stairs a thousand times if you had needed it. Speak freely.”

Seulgi still looked down, as if conflicted by her emotions. Seungwan waited patiently for the palace maid to collect her emotions before she spoke.

“I-I have got this feeling that Prince Sehun’s stay in the palace is not as simple as what he claims.”

Seungwan stilled and pursed her lip. She could not help but agree with Seulgi’s hunches yet her heart still hopes that it was not the case. Seungwan could absolutely not tolerate the idea that her brother was plotting harm to the country of Bae, their ally country, Joohyun’s country, the country she had come to love as well.

Steadying her heart, Seungwan said. “Tell me of your suspicions, Seulgi.”

Seulgi then reported about how she picked up oddities in Sehun’s words on multiple occasions. Of how Sehun did not seem to wish upon good intentions on the court of Bae and of its people. The most recent of which was how Sehun did not sound too pleased about the royal siblings’ efforts to improve the country of Bae. Seungwan’s heart froze at the idea of that.

“Prince Sehun had sounded… really sarcastic when he spoke of Princess Joohyun’s attempts to improve the country,” Seulgi said timidly, guilt written all over her face.

Seungwan could understand why. Seulgi knew that her older brother, Sehun, had really treated Seulgi kindly. In this palace, Seulgi was perhaps his closest friend and the palace maid’s actions was akin to betraying him. Clenching her jaws, Seungwan battled her inner turmoil between tasking Seulgi to trick out more information from her brother and letting their friendship be, in the end, rationality won. Seungwan had decided to make Seulgi fish out more details from her brother.

“I am sorry Seulgi,” Seungwan began and she saw Seulgi flinch a little in surprise.

“W-Why should you be sorry for, princess. I am the one who should be apologising for telling you things like this,” Seulgi said with her eyes downcast.

Seungwan laughed a little as she lifted Seulgi by her chin. Seulgi was truly soft-hearted despite being trained in a rebel organisation when she was younger and leading one with her now. It truly broke Seungwan’s heart a little at how a sweet girl like Seulgi was made to do things so difficult for her to achieve and Seungwan felt like a cunning person. Letting her hand fall from Seulgi’s chin, Seungwan then retracted her earlier decision and paced about her room as she thought.

“Princess… are you troubled? S-Should I get more information for you?” Seulgi asked in concern, like the friend Seungwan always thought of her as.

Seungwan paused amidst her strides and looked to Seulgi. The offer was truly tempting but Seungwan shook her head.

“Seulgi… I won’t make you do things you do not want to do. You have already done enough with me, for the organisation.”

Seulgi had obtained a hardened expression to her face. “No, princess. You are not making me do things, I want to do this willingly and I wish to share your burdens. I love doing work with you and the organisation. You made my life feel more meaningful and helped me erase my past of cowardice. I am thankful for that, Princess Seungwan.”  

Rarely had anyone besides Joohyun touched Seungwan’s heart but Seulgi had managed to do so right then. Seungwan suddenly struck a palm against Seulgi’s shoulder and the maid had seen it coming but just allowed the princess to do so.

“You are so silly, Seulgi. I do not know what to do with you at times.”

Seulgi rubbed her shoulder and produced a lopsided smile. “Am I really silly? After helping you out all these times and remaining loyal to you even when Princess Joohyun almost grilled me to death?”

Seungwan was about to strike Seulgi’s other shoulder but this time round the maid, met her palms with her own and their arms interlocked as they often did during their sparring sessions.

“So… are you rebelling against me now?” Seungwan asked in jape.

Seulgi shook her head in defiance. “Just proving to you that I am not that silly.”

Seungwan bellowed out a laughter and smiled. “Very well. But you must tell Princess Joohyun that you are loyal to her as well lest she feels hurt. You are officially her palace maid after all.”

“D-Did Princess Joohyun give you a hard time last night? I am sorry I should not have consulted you so late in the night. I was too anxious and worried.”

“No, your Princess Joohyun let me off easily. And you are right to be anxious and worried.” Seungwan clarified. Then after, some hesitation, Seungwan finally asked for Seulgi’s help, officially. “Seulgi… since you have offered… will you help me find out more about my brother’s business?”

“I will, Princess Seungwan,” Seulgi answered with considering twice.

“Be careful yourself, and if you sense that things are going awry, report it to me immediately,” Seungwan cautioned.

Seulgi nodded. “Since when have I withheld anything from you?”

“Good. Go about doing your work. Oh, right and help me get a bouquet of fresh fully bloomed dandelions, preferably by this evening,” Seungwan added, scratching her neck uneasily.  

Sniggering, Seulgi asked. “Princess Joohyun is still angry, isn’t she?”

Seungwan shot the nosy palace maid a fierce glare that sent her scuttling off to perform her duties whilst Seungwan had decided to share her findings with the princes.

 

Prince Jongdae was once again retained behind for a discussion with his elder brother whilst Prince Kyungsoo was in the midst of allocating budget for the new proposals when Seungwan had visited.

“You princes are so busy,” Seungwan teased.

“As you are, princess. Except that you are too busy with highly classified, external affairs. I was told that you have been training the children all week,” Kyungsoo mentioned, a hint of concern in his eyes.  

Seungwan shrugged. “Taeyong was too busy with all the tasks we have delegated to him so I thought I might as well do it myself. The girls are more comfortable with me anyway.”

Kyungsoo smiled. “You like children?”

Seungwan was confused by the question for a moment but she nodded. “I guess I do. They grow up so quickly, it is fun to witness their changes. Anyway, I am not here to talk about my training with the children, I have other matters to discuss about, in relation to what you have spoken to me before.”

“We have spoken about a lot of things, Princess Seungwan, but none as interesting as talk about children, so forgive my digression. What matter is this that you are referring to?” Prince Kyungsoo returned in a slightly mocking tone.  

“Sehun, my brother,” Seungwan said curtly.

Nodding his head, Kyungsoo invited Seungwan to take a seat by his tea table, expecting this to be a long discussion.

Seungwan then began narrating about whatever Seulgi had told her about. Prince Kyungsoo listened patiently but no surprise was registered in his face. When Prince Kyungsoo finally spoke, there was unusual calm in his voice.

“Princess Seungwan, what is the worst outcome you expect from sending Seulgi on your brother?”

Seungwan’s heart skipped a beat but she tried to match her expression with the prince calm one and replied stoicly. “Betrayal to the Bae court.”

“That is not the worst Seungwan.”

Betrayal to both the Bae court and the Son Empire.

Swallowing, Seungwan nodded but refused to unveil the rest of her suspicions. Prince Kyungsoo gave a slight nod of understanding.

“I will share whatever we have discussed with Jongdae. Have some tea before you depart from my quarters.”

Seungwan nodded and did as she was told.

“Ginger tea? What happened to Osmanthus? Is this all a part of growing up?” Seungwan asked.

Prince Kyungsoo shook his head slightly as he smiled. “I have been told that ginger tea aids in digest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter