Chapter XVII | This Christmas

You Are My Spring | Minayeon AU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Main characters featured in this chapter:

 

 

♡━━━ December | Mina’s PoV ━━━♡

 

It was snowing outside, but as we gathered around the dining table and enjoyed the food and each other’s company, we couldn’t be bothered by the cold. My family was away, as usual, but this time I wouldn’t be alone on Christmas. I had all of my friends here with me.

Surrounded by the ones who I loved, for the first time, I could experience the happiness that is usually associated with this holiday. The glistening lights that seemed pointless before were now full of life and hope. It’s hard to believe that my life changed so much in the span of a year, and it’s all because of the people that came into it. Now I can see that the most meaningful gift I received last Christmas was meeting Nayeon and the premise of a new beginning.

      

After the feast, we all exchanged secret Santa gifts with each other, and little by little everyone left until only Nayeon remained. I was playing the piano as she sat by my side, her eyes closed, intently focusing on the music.

She rested her head on my shoulder and when I finished playing, she softly whispered, “You’re a really good pianist, Minari.”

“I’m alright,” I responded, lightly chuckling, and she grazed her hand above mine on the piano keys, gently tracing my fingers. I gulped with the contact and felt my pulse accelerating again.

“Actually, I have something for you,” she said, and I curiously glanced down at her.

She got up and reached for her bag on top of the couch, taking out a small box wrapped with mint-colored paper out of it.

“Merry Christmas,” she warmly said, handing out the box to me as I stood from the piano bench.

I carefully took the present from her hand and looked at her, surprised that she got me something. She still smiled tenderly as she said, “Open it.”

“Nayeon-unnie… thank you,” I  said, unwrapping the present.

Inside, there was what seemed to be a white snow globe with golden ornaments and a small reindeer inside. It was exquisite and looked and delicate, so I cautiously picked it up from the box as a smile formed on my face.

“This is beautiful,” I said, taking a closer look at the object.

“It’s also a music box,” she explained, rotating a small crank on the bottom part of the snow globe, causing a tune to start playing.

It was an intriguing melody, that somehow sounded both happy and sad at the same time. I was mesmerized, and by the time it finished playing, I felt tears streaming down my face.

“Hey, don’t cry,” Nayeon softly whispered, chuckling a bit and wiping the tears from my face.

“I love it so much… I don’t even know what to say,” I cried.

“You don’t have to say anything,” she soothingly muttered and she wrapped me in a hug.

I rested my head on her shoulder and said, “I have something for you too, unnie.”

“Huh, you do?” She asked, pulling back from the hug and seeming curious.

I chuckled at her expression and nodded, taking her hand and leading her to the large Christmas tree on the living room. It was filled with presents, mostly put there only for show by my family.

But among them, there was one I placed there for Nayeon. I picked up the box with red wrapping paper and a deep green ribbon, handing it to the girl in front of me, who still seemed very surprised.

I chuckled and said, “Merry Christmas”, as she opened up my gift. It was a handmade dark red scarf, and she had widened as she took it out of the box.

“To be frank, I could have bought anything with my parents’ money… but it would have felt hollow,” I began explaining, as Nayeon ran her hand through the fabric of the scarf, attentively looking at me. “So instead, I knitted this for you, so it’ll keep you warm during the cold day

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter