Summer ‘00

Glow

He watched as a little girl giggled as she ran up to the top of the hill. She giggled as her older brothers, he assumed they were he brothers, chased her. "Try to get me Junki-oppa and Joonie-oppa!" She yelled as she waited on top of the hill, her long black hair blowing in the nice warm, summer evening breeze.

 

Kim Taehyung was gawking at her from out the living room window. "Mommy!" He yelled. He couldn't keep his eyes off of her, she looked small, maybe not his age, but closer to his age then anyone he lived with or by. 

 

"What is it sweetheart?" His mother asked as she walked into the front room and stood off the to side of Taehyung. His older brother, Seokjin, briefly looked up from his book. 

 

"Are they moving in next door?" Taehyung asked as he pointed outside. Taehyung's mother gently pushed Taehyung's hand down. "It's not nice to point baby. And no, I'm not sure- the Mins have left for the summer..." Seokjin put his book down and walked over to his mother. "Should we go find out for you, mom?" 

 

Taehyung smiled widely and jumped down off the cushioned window seat. His glasses flew off his face as he did, they hit the hardwood floor. Taehyung's mother sighed as Seokjin bend over and picked up his baby brother's glasses. 

 

"Not a scratch." Seokjin said in disbelief as he handed his mother Taehyung's glasses. Taehyung looked up at his mom as she shook her head as she inspected them herself. "Baby, you have to be more careful." She said as she placed his glasses back on his face.

 

"I'm sorry mommy..." Taehyung said with a slight pout. His mom kissed the top of his head then kissed the top of Seokjin's head. "I'll go get you two something to bring to them. Taehyung looked up at his older brother and smiled. "Can't I go ahead and go? I wanna play with her before it gets dark!"

 

Seokjin sighed and nodded. "Stay where I can see you, Tae." Taehyung nodded and ran out the front door. He walked towards the neighbor's and knocked on the door. A young boy opened the door. "Hello, how can I help you?" He said. 

 

Taehyung smiled brightly as he pushed his glasses back into place. "Hi! I-I was wondering if the little girl wanted to play... I live in that house." Taehyung said as he pointed over to his grandparents' farm house. The boy eyed him for a second. "I'm Namjoon, by the way." 

 

Taehyung extended his hand. "Nice to meet you, Namjoon-hyung! I'm Taehyung." Namjoon chuckled and shook the little boy's hand. "Well, Taehyung, why don't you go ahead and sit on the couch. I'll go get hi- her. Her." Namjoon sighed and ran upstairs. 

 

Taehyung sat on the couch and kicked his feet a little as he waited. "What do you mean there's a boy here for me?" Taehyung perk up a bit. He smiled once the girl entered the room. He got down off the couch and walked over to her, he extended his hand. "Hi!" Yoonji eyed him before she gently shook his hand.

 

"I'm your neighbor! Am I your oppa?" Taehyung asked as he tilted his head slightly. Yoonji crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm seven." She said. Taehyung pouted. "You're my noona... I'm four." Yoonji smirked. "That means I'm in charge! I think we should play outside!" 

 

They were about to leave, but Seokjin was standing there, ready to knock on the door.   "Oh, hi. Um I'm Kim Seokjin, Taehyung's older brother." Yoonji looked at Taehyung. "Hold on, I'm gonna go get my brothers." Yoonji ran upstairs. Seokjin and Taehyung waited inside by the door. Namjoon walked in and looked at the two boys. 

 

Seokjin extended his hand. "Hello, I'm Kim Seokjin, I'm ten years old, I'm Taehyung's older brother." Namjoon smiled. "Min Namjoon, I'm nine, and the middle child unfortunately." Yoonji and another boy walked back down stairs. Taehyung assumed, since the boy next to him was Namjoon, the other had to be Junki. He remembered their names from earlier. 

 

Junki shook both the Kim brother's hands. "Nice to meet you two. I'm Junki." Taehyung looked up at him. "And how old are you Junki-hyung?" Junki smiled. "I'm fourteen." Taehyung nodded. "Wow, you're old hyung!" Seokjin and Namjoon laughed. Junki chuckled. "Yoonji, why don't you two go ahead outside." 

 

Yoonji went into the kitchen and grabbed a lantern before she grabbed Taehyung's hand with her free one, dragging him outside. "Where are we going Noona? It's starting to get dark." Yoonji shrugged and interlaced their fingers. "You'll be safe with me Taehyungie." Yoonji said with a smile. 

 

Taehyung smiled back instantly. He really liked her smile, her gums would show, it was unique to him. He relaxed and followed his noona into the middle of the forest, it was lit up before Yoonji got close with her lantern. 

 

"Wow...." She said. "Look at the fireflies Taehyungie!" Taehyung's mouth was agape, he reached out and caught one. He opened his hand and watched it crawl on him a bit before it flew away. "I declare this land, Taehyungie's and his Noona's land! We should make a sign! Then everyone will know to stay away." 

 

Yoonji smiled as she walked up to Taehyung. "My name is Yoonji by the way. Can we be best friends? I like you Taehyungie." Taehyung smiled and nodded quickly. "Of course we can be best friends, Noona!" Yoonji smiled and gave Taehyung a quick hug. "Stay right here, I'll be right back. I have to potty!" Yoonji said as she walked over to the bushes. 

 

Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows and followed his noona. He heard her peeing but she was standing. He walked over next to her and looked down. "You have a ?" Yoonji jumped a bit before readjusting herself. She looked over at Taehyung. 

 

"How come you have a , Noona?" Yoonji pulled Taehyung back to the field of fireflies and sat down on a rock with him. "I was born a boy... but I never felt... right though. I've always felt like a girl stick in a boy's body. I'm transgender." 

 

Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows. "Trainsgender?" Yoonji giggled. "TRANSgender." Taehyung nodded. "Ohhh." He kept repeating the word to himself. "Yoonji! Taehyung!!!" They heard Junki shouting for them. Yoonji smiled. "Come on! We can come back tomorrow after we make our signs!" Yoonji said as she stood up. 

 

"Let's race! You get a five second head start since I'm taller!" Taehyung giggled. "Okay, Noona!!!" Taehyung took off running. Yoonji waited five seconds. She sprinted, easily passing the younger up. Taehyung pouted. "No fair! Your legs are longer!" 

 

Yoonji smiled and ruffled his hair. "Don't worry Taehyungie! One of these days, I bet you'll be taller then me!" Taehyung watched as the older girl walked inside. He smiled fondly after her. 

 

This is gonna be the best summer ever! Taehyung thought to himself as he followed her inside.