Forty Eight

MR DISORDER

I went back to my university as usual and I was almost not able to focus on anything in the class. I haven’t met Chanyeol for a week after the day that he gave me the chance to make him remember everything. Maybe I should listen to Seunghee which was moving on from him since he also has his new life after all. Mrs Koo who was done lecturing on the neurology subject, packed her things up. “Oh, before I forget about this. Remember that I told you guys that there will be Medical Future Camping for your assignment marks?” she said.

 

All of us chanted ‘Yes’ nonchalantly make Mrs Koo smile in satisfaction. “Alright, I had checked on the name submission and I could say that only 15 peoples registered for the camp instead of 50 students in this class?” she announced that made all of us look at each other. I grinned my teeth since I was one of the students that did not register for the camping. Well, I would rather work at the cafe instead of going camping.

 

“To make it fair and fully participation from the Psychology Students, I put this camping as compulsory to all students in this class as you will get extra marks if you join and most of the students here are seniors in which next year will be your final year, so I will make sure that anyone with the highest mark for this subject, I will send their names to the Dean of Medical course to be offered for overseas study with sponsored by university.” she announced as all of the students started to chat about the camping.

 

I sighed. “It’s a good chance though.” I took a deep breath before slowly exhaled for meditation. “I love my study, I love my lecturer and I love camping. Repeat it again, Hanseol. I love my study, I love my lecturer and I love camp-” I was about to continue my meditation as a paper appeared in front of me.

 

“Sign up your name please.” Our class representative, Lee Suho, handed me the paper before pushing up his spectacle frame on his nose bridge. My hand heavily reached out the pen and the paper as I wrote my name in hesitation. “I don’t understand why some students did not want to grab this kind of opportunity.” he nagged alone.

 

I looked at him. “Maybe we are not like you. Doesn’t mean we did not go camping, we don’t love to study. Don’t judge people like that.” I said calmly to make him trigger as he pouted his lips. Once I was done, I passed back to him. “I’m sorry, Suho shi. I don’t mean to be rude to you just now. I admire how passionate you are on this subject and thank you for encouraging me to go for this camping.” I smiled before walking out of the class.

 

The camping day was coming as I pulled out my luggage and wore my backpack. Aunt Mijoo sent me to the front gate while Seungcheol was waiting for me with the car. Since I will not work for 2 days, Seungcheol insisted on sending me to the camping because he said he will die in missing me for two days. “Be careful, sweetheart.” Aunt Mijoo said make me hug her in my arms.

 

Seungcheol helped me by carrying the luggage into the boot before both of us entered the car. “I’m not burdening you, am I?” I asked Seungcheol for confirmation.

 

He giggled. “Not at all.” he drove as he spun the steering in a charming way that made me reminded of someone.

 

“Do you know that you remind me of someone close to me?”

 

He faced me slightly before his sight changed to the road back. “Who? Is he special?” he asked in curiosity.

 

I smiled. “Quite special. He is a friend, a very best friend that I ever had in my life.” I told him.

 

“He must be handsome like me and cool.” he teased, making me burst into laughter.

 

I nodded in agreement. “Yes, he is. All girls love him back in my school life.” I gazed on the road while stared blankly at the window. “I wonder what is he doing now?” I mumbled alone.

 

Seungcheol smiled. “May I meet him someday? I really want to know who is the special person that is handsome like me.” he butted.

 

“Sure and for your information, you had met him before.” I paused. “On TV.”

 

“Really? Who is it?”

 

I giggled. “Hyungwon. Chae Hyungwon.”

 

“Ohh that cool singer? Is he really your friend? Impossible~”

 

I pouted. “I will prove to you someday.”

 

Once we reached the campsite, I saw all my classmates were gathered there and some were still hugging their family like they will be separated for a month but it was only 2 days. I moved out as Seungcheol helped me bring out my luggage. “Thank you, Seungcheol. For everything. Start from covering my shift for two days and send me here.” I thanked him sincerely.

 

He patted my head softly. “Not a big deal since your aunt also asked me for help to send you here.” he said with his twinkling and sparkles in his eyes. He is such a sweet man.

 

“You may send me here. I can go by myself now. And I’ll be back by the university’s bus so no need to fetch me up okay.” I said before both of us bid goodbye to each other.

 

Everyone was gathered as Mrs Koo announced to make sure to sit with a group of two or three for a better view. I chose to sit with Hyojung, my roommate for the camping since we had been divided by the lecturer before. I felt someone stood beside me as I looked aside to see Suho was standing beside me. “Oh Suho shi?” I smiled before he bowed politely to me.

 

“I’m sorry about yesterday.” he gritted but his eyes were not looking at me and made me snicker at his awkward attitude.

 

I elbowed him. “Aishh… don’t say sorry, we are classmates though.” I giggled.

 

He smiled sheepishly before showing his hand. “Partner?”

 

I gazed on his hand. “Are you sure? We can make three with Hyojung here.”

 

Hyojung who had studied in Suho before looked away bored.

 

“Well, you are the only one that talks to a nerd like me.” he shrugged his shoulders and he sounded self esteem here make me feel sorry towards him.

 

I nodded. “Sure, I will be your best partner.” I assured him in confidence as both of us chuckled simultaneously. “And Hyojung too.” I elbowed secretly on Hyojung as she faked a smile since not all students like Suho because he is a teacher’s pet. “So, what activity will we do?” I asked Suho because he was the class representative and all activities and itinerary was planned by him and the lecturers involved.

 

He instantly faced me in excitement. “Do you know? Remember when Mrs Koo taught us about the mental health disease that happens to only a minority of people like around 9% of the population of humans in South Korean and 21% in the world that survive from this disease, today, we invited one of the survivors or victims that has been through mental disease and guess what?” he told in excitement and I was about to answer, he cut. “He was super cool and as he will tell us what he had been through the therapy and how could he survive.”

 

I rolled my eyes secretly. He really loves camping a lot, I think. “Thank you for your explanation and information, Suho shi. I hope you enjoy camping.” I said make him smile happily.

 

We sat on the grass while Mrs Koo was standing in front of us. “Alright, students. Now, I will invite one of the biggest sponsors on the camping trip and also a survivor from mental disease, Mr Park Chanyeol.” she announced and it was loud and clear enough for me.

 

My eyes fell on a tall figure who was walking towards Mrs Koo before facing us. “C-Chanyeol?” I grinned under my breath and it was my unlucky day as our eyes met and my heart skipped a beat. Stay cool, stay cool, stay cool. I palmed my chest to calm my heartbeat since Chanyeol’s eyes still glued on me make me uncomfortable. I avoided his eyes before he started to greet us with his background as an introduction.

 

“Hi, my name is Park Chanyeol. I am one of the survivors of one of the mental health problems which is post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). I was told by my parents that I was having an accident in which it hit my head quite hard as I was badly injured at that time. This disorder came because the person that I crashed into was dead in front of my eyes that made me traumatic and covered my mental as an 8 years old kid.” He explained.

 

I could not help but tears that kept rolling on my cheeks make me wipe it quickly before Suho saw me.

 

“I did not remember anything when I was pretending to be 8 years old due to these illnesses and all memories were blocked as I felt like I had just woken up from a nightmare after a few years once I become normal like now.” he stated and before he could continued further, I stood up make he paused for awhile from talking as I ran to the nearest washroom.

 

I washed my face a few times as my tears and the water became one. My parents’ faces were playing in my mind and made me cry even harder.

 

After an hour of crying over my past, I stepped out as all students were building their tents and there I saw Suho was struggling with his tent. I was about to help him but reminded of my puffy face, he will be asked a lot of questions which I decided not to answer now because I was really not in the mood. I walked at the nearest sea as I felt the evening breeze brushing my hair and the soft sand from the seashore make me calm and at peace.

 

When the sun was about to set, I smiled while enjoying the sea breeze and the sound of waves as I landed my bum on the sand. Suddenly, some voices disturbed my hearing sense and I was so familiar with those voices. My curiosity rose up as I spun around to see Chanyeol with his favourite soon-to-be-fiance, Hani, talking with each other. I mean like, they were only a few metres and the sea was too wide, why must they be chatting near to me?!

 

“I just want to say that I regret joining this camp.” I grumbled alone but clear enough for them to hear. Well, if he assumed that I was being sarcastic to him, I really hope he hears it.

 

The night came as the lecturers were busy preparing for barbecues meanwhile the students were happily eating their dinners. Chanyeol and his fiance were there too and I thought he would only come for the invitation speech but nah… he will be here until the end of the camping since he was one of the major sponsors of the camp. Can you believe there were a lot of universities in South Korea but why was the university that I studied chosen by him to be sponsored?

 

As usual, he was giving his speech and rewarding some prizes for the best students on this subject. Thank god, I was a little bit stupid and did bad on this subject so that I don’t have to face him.

 

The time passed quite fast as all the students were having fun on the campfire that we made nearby the sea as I decided to take some night breeze from the sea. In the dim light from the lamp poles, I saw someone was sitting alone at the seashore before I ran after it because it was audible enough for me that the person was crying. I came closer and poked his shoulder in nervousness. “Hello?”

 

He was hiding his face between his knees and once he looked up, I was surprised that it was Chanyeol. “Chanyeol?” I looked aside to see two bottles of soju beside him and I guessed he was drunk. “Are you okay?” I asked worriedly.

 

He smiled drunk before his eyes blinking while gazing into my eyes. “Gong… Hanseol?” he uttered, making me sighed. He drank quite bad now.

 

“Ya, if you can’t stand alcohol, why do you drink it? Are you fighting with your fiance?” I nagged in annoyance.

 

In a second, he pulled me closer to him, I was astonished as I could see he was smiling while tugging my hair behind my ear in tipsy. “My Hanseol noona…” he murmured clearly.

 

I palmed my mouth as my eyes were teary automatically.

 

“C-Channie…?”

 

He nodded before giggling softly. “Nae, noona. It’s me, Channiee…” I smiled in teary before hugged him tightly. “You’re back, Chanyeol ah!”