6. Closer

Boomerang's
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Why didn't you tell me?" JaeJoong looked up from his textbook at Yunho.

"Huh?" Yunho shifted in his chair. Three days later, he and JaeJoong sat across from each other at Yunho's kitchen table. He was trying his best to concentrate but he knew it wasn't going to work until he asked.

"That we met at stay away camp 10 years ago?" JaeJoong put down the pencil and sighed.

"I don't know. I was nervous cause it's been so long and I just disappeared so suddenly." He shook his head. "And I guess I thought you wouldn't remember me." JaeJoong couldn't have been more wrong. Yunho hadn't forgotten a detail of the time they spent together despite of how short it was.

"For being so book smart, you sure are dumb. I haven't forgotten about you once." They held each other gazes for a while without speaking. "I've missed you." JaeJoong's infectious smile lit up his handsome face. Relucantly, Yunho looked down.

"I've missed you too. I haven't had a friend like you since." Yunho had no idea what JaeJoong had been going through or why he looked so tired and beat up. Whatever it was, the desire in Yunho to fix it was immediate and strong.

"I won't dig into what's going on with you or why you disappeared. I just want to know that you're going to be here and let me be your friend." JaeJoong looked up at Yunho and then back down at the textbook.

"I'm not going anywhere." Yunho smiled and leaned back in his chair. His mind was no longer on studying.

"Can we go somewhere to eat? Maybe I can make you something." JaeJoong tapped Yunho's notebook with his pen.

"You've got 10 more equations to work on." Yunho groaned making JaeJoong laugh.

"Yes, teacher Kim." JaeJoong rolled his eyes.

"Shut up."

JaeJoong packed his soccer uniform and an extra set of clean clothes before zipping up his backpack. He turned to check his reflection in the mirror. His dad would be home soon and he'd finally get to catch up and have dinner with him. Since their last blow out, JaeJoong had been careful to avoid Hong Do and any more confrontations that came with him. He was going to keep his promise and leave after dinner and not come back until his dad was gone.

Taking a deep breath, he headed down the stairs and into the dining room. Maids and cooks fussed as they set the table. JaeJoong took his spot towards the head but far away from where Hong Do and his step mother usually sat. Suddenly all the bustling stopped. JaeJoong looked towards the doorway and smiled.

"Dad." Kim Jae-Hwa was handsome and tall even at the age of 62. He didn't look like a man who had been tirelessly building a multi-billion dollar empire since his early twenties. JaeJoong stood up and greeted his father with a hug. It felt nice to be back in his arms after nearly 8 months.

"You're getting so tall." Jae-Hwa pulled back and looked "How are you?" JaeJoong shrugged. His relationship with his dad was by far the least troubling, but it was still complicated. He was an absent farther who was naive enough to think that he could leave the son he had with someone outside of his marriage, with his wife. When JaeJoong had asked to take his mothers last name when he turned 15, his father had been confused, but hadn't argued.

"I'm fine. Glad you're home." Jae-Hwa threw his arm around JaeJoong's shoulders and led him back to the table.

"It's been busy, but I think things are finally starting to settle down. I want to start spending more time at home." JaeJoong raised his eyebrows.

"That's new." The older man nodded.

"I'm not getting any younger and my sons are growing up without me. Hong-Do is almost finished with college and you'll be going to college next year. It's going be time to start prepping you guys for taking over the business."

"Dad, you're here." Both JaeJoong and Jae-Hwa turned as Hong-Do strolled in. He glanced at JaeJoong breiefly before hugging their dad.

"What's this I hear about you slowing down?" Jae-Hwa laughed.

"I'm getting old, son!" He patted Hong-Do on the shoulder. "I've got two healthy, and capable sons that can help me." JaeJoong looked at his half brother to note any change in his expression; there was none.

Moments later, Hae-Eun joined them. She barely even acknowledged JaeJoong as she took her seat at the table. As they ate, Jae-Hwa talked about his latest business endeavors and travels. JaeJoong listened, only slightly interested. He really wanted to have dinner tonight with the hopes to talk to his dad in private about the business and his inheritance. For the last couple of years, he had been considering what he would do once he got into college. It was going to be his opportunity to finally be free and make his own future. He wanted to tell his father that he wasn't interested in taking over the business and he didn't want any of his inheritance. All he wanted was complete independence as far away from this family.

"I've got some ulterior motives for why I came home so suddenly. There's some important things to discuss while I'm here." Jae-Hwa began. Hae-Eun put down her fork and knife.

"We're all ears, honey." The older man adjusted himself so that he was even taller in his seat.

"I'm tired. I am ready to pass on my legacy to my sons." JaeJoong closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Well dad, you know I'm ready. Whatever you-"

"I know Hong-Do." Their father interrupted him. "But I think that you need to finish up your college education as planned before stepping in." He turned his attention to JaeJoong.

"Jae, you have not faltered in your education. You're at the top of your class, are a leader, and have already had several colleges offer you a full ride. That coupled with your ability to speak multiple languages, you are primed and ready to get into the international business market in my place." JaeJoong wanted to dissolve into his chair. Hong-Do got up and stormed out of the dinning area.

"Hong-Do!" Hae-Eun got up and went after her son, leaving just JaeJoong and his father at the table. Jae-Hwa relaxed back in his chair and sighed.

"He's the older one, but he was never good at behaving like it." He sighed again. "Well since it's just us, what do you think? Are you ready for all of this?" JaeJoong shook his head.

"That's what I was going to talk to you about. I want to take one of my scholarships and go straight to college." He he cleared his throat. "Give everything to Hong-Do. He wants it. You can even give him my inheritance." Jae-Hwa grunted.

"Hong-Do is not ready and I most certain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter