2. Truths

Boomerang's
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How many languages do you think I can learn?" Son Yee smiled as she unpacked Yunho's bag, separating the clothes he worn from the ones he hadn't during the 5 week stay.

"At least 200 hundred because you're so smart." Yunho rolled his eyes and giggled. She was so glad to finally have her sweet boy home again.

"No really? My fri-, no my hyung JaeJoong knows 3 and he's going to learn 4. He's only 8!" Son Yee couldn't help but to laugh at Yunho's exaggerated movements as he talked about his new friend. He actually hadn't stopped talking about him the whole way home; never running out of stories to tell. From what she had learned, this young man JaeJoong was impressive and had been a huge influence on Yunho. When Yunho asked if she would call JaeJoong so that he and Yunho talked, she quickly agreed.

"Well if you want to learn a new language, we can certainly get you lessons. But it's going to be hard work. Is that okay?" Yunho nodded quickly, his head moving so fast it looked like it was going to fall off his tiny shoulders.

"If hyung knows it, I want to know it. " Son Yee smiled, filled with pride for Yunho. He was still so young but already  incredibly smart. Even though it terrified her, she couldn't wait to see the kind of teenager, and ultimately, the adult Yunho would become.

"Then we better get started.  JaeJoong sounds like he's learning languages pretty fast."  Yunho agreed before rushing into the bathroom to get ready for bed. As he brushed his teeth, he peered around the corner at his mom.

"I have to go to sleep earlier. It'll help me learn stuff faster." Son Yee chuckled. A seven year old willing to go to bed on time was going to get no complaints out of her.

"Sounds good to me!"

....

Over the next few weeks, between phone calls to JaeJoong and early hours of studying, Yunho was successfully learning English. Yunho's dedication learning the language made Son Yee proud and she was humbled by how little she knew. She helped him as much as she could by getting thae books he requested and finding American tv shows for kids for him to watch. But the real assistance came from JaeJoong, who religiously spent 2 hours on  Skype with Yunho 3 times a week to help him with his studies.

Son  Yee was impressed by how well rounded JaeJoong seemed, but also a little taken a back by his maturity. He seemed much older than just 8 and was very serious. But he would never scold Yunho for a mistake or when he got silly when trying to say a word. He was patient and laughed with Yunho which was when Son Yee got a glimpse of JaeJoong's youth.

One night, a week  before the first day of school, Son Yee  was folding laundry when Yunho came rushing into the room, cheeks flushed.

"Mom!" She laughed.

"Yunho-yah!" Yunho jumped into her lap, sending piles of laundry in all directions.

"Can JaeJoong have a sleep over here?" Son Yee wrapped her arms around Yunho's small frame. The little boy was practically vibrating with excitement.

"But JaeJoong lives in Seoul. Won't that be far from home?"  Yunho bounced, his cheeks flushed red. Son Yee rubbed his back gently to remind him to take a breath.

"His piano teacher  is giving lessons here this weekend and JaeJoong isn't allowed to miss. So I told him he could stay at our house so he's not late for his lesson on Saturday. Please!?" Geez, JaeJoong played piano too? When did this kid have time to be well...a kid?

"Well if it's alright with his mother then sure he can." Yunho cheered and jumped out of Son Yee's lap.

"His nanny says it's fine! Thank you mom." Like a flash,  Yunho was out of the room and hurrying back up the stairs.  Son Yee finished the laundry quietly, lost in thought. She didn't think she'd have the chance to meet JaeJoong in person, but now that she was, she was suddenly very curious.  What could a boy only one month older than her own son, be like when all he did was study and spent time with his nanny?

Yunho fluffed his pillows for what felt like the millionth time. JaeJoong was going to be here any minute now and he was so nervous. What if the boy didn't like his room? From what Yunho had seen of JaeJoong's room during their video chats, it was large and impressive. Yunho loved his room. His sky blue walls and bird and lion art was cool and he loved them. But what animals did JaeJoong like? What were his favorite colors?

"Urgh!" He fell face first into a overly fluffed pillow.

"Well that's not what excitement should sound like." Yunho turned his face to look at his mom.

"What if JaeJoong doesn't like my room?" His mom sat down on the edge of his bed.

"JaeJoong seems like a nice person and a very good friend to you. If that is truly who he is, it won't matter if he likes your room or not." Yunho groaned. He liked everything about JaeJoong. He would probably die if JaeJoong didn't feel the same about him.

"I just want him to be comfortable and happy while he's here." He knew it was only for one night, but he hadn't stopped thinking about it since his mom said 'yes' on Monday.

"And because you want that, he will be. I promise." She smiled warmly at Yunho.  "Besides, I'm going to make you guys so many snacks that he won't have time to worry about your room." Yunho mirrored  her smile as he finally brought his whole face out of the pillow.

"Will you make dumplings?" She nodded.

"And Kimchi, and eggrolls, and bimbibap, and all the rice you can eat." Yunho's stomach growled loudly making his mom laugh.

"I hope he gets here soon!"

As if JaeJoong had heard his request, the doorbell rang. He hopped to his feet and ran down the stairs. He almost tripped over his own feet getting to the door. His mother followed by behind him. Opening the door, Yunho finally came face to face with his friend again.

"Hyung!" Suddenly too overwhelmed to say anymore, Yunho burst into tears. JaeJoong dropped his bags and wrapped his arms around Yunho in a hug.

"Don't cry. I'm right here." JaeJoong shushed Yunho who held him back and cried even harder.

....

Son Yee watched JaeJoong and Yunho from the other side of the dinner table, still processing Yunho's meltdown at the door earlier as well as JaeJoong's response.  She knew that Yunho would sometimes get sometimes so overwhelmed, from either sadness or happiness, but that was the first time she had seen him react that way to the friend.

Now, perfectly calm, Yunho hung on to JaeJoong's every word while they ate.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter