14. Boundaries

Boomerang's
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JaeJoong waved at Changmin as the doctor drove away. It was just after 10:30 and they had spent nearly two hours after the movie just talking about any and everything. They had a ton of things in common, but just enough differences to make conversation interesting. Overall, it had been the best date JaeJoong has had in ages and he was excited to do it again soon.

Maybe excited was the wrong word. Anxious? No, that wasn’t it either. It was conflict. He saw himself coming to like Changmin very much. But the conflict resided in his developing feelings for a certain heart surgeon. He sighed and finally turned to go in. After kicking off his shoes by the door, he headed into the living room where he found Ji Yoo curled up under a blanket on the couch. She was watching Legally Blonde 2 which was her Saturday night routine. She paused it when she heard JaeJoong come in.

“I wasn’t expecting you home so soon,” She paused waggled her eyebrows. “Or at all for that matter. Daddy long legs looked like he has a lot of stamina.” JaeJoong rolled his eyes at her as he pushed her over to make room for himself on the couch. He folded his legs under him.

“You know I’m not one for climbing into bed with someone on the first date.” JaeJoong bit his lip. “I think I could really like him.” Ji Yoo raised one of her eyebrows clearly noticing the hesitation in JaeJoong’s voice.

“But?” JaeJoong sighed.

“But I think I may like someone else a little more.” He groaned and put his face in his hands. Ji-Yoo’s warm hand rubbed his back gently.

“Yunho right?” He nodded yes to her question and she sighed. “How do you know? Has something changed recently?” He slowly lowered his hands away from his face and turned to face her.

“I kissed him last week.” Her eyes widened.

“You what?! Whoa. So much for thinking you couldn’t get anywhere with him. How did he respond?” JaeJoong slumped back against the couch.

“I didn’t give him a chance to. I just sort of kiss and ran. It was a car accident.” He threw his hands up in the air in frustration. “And what’s worse is that he acted like nothing happened. The next time we had lunch together, it was normal, and he didn’t look the least bit freaked out. I had been fully prepared to apologize and cut my losses when he decided he didn’t want to be around me anymore.” But that hadn’t happened and JaeJoong was almost one hundred percent relieved but in the back of his mind he was also disappointed. The weight of knowing that at one time he and Yunho had been together intimately was like being taunted by something completely unattainable. He was inexplicably attracted to Yunho and perhaps he was mistaken, but he thought Yunho felt the same about him.

“Well, here’s what you can do:” Ji-Yoo straightened herself up on the couch and fixed JaeJoong with a serious look. “Tell Changmin that dating is fun, but you think you may have feelings for someone else so you’re not ready for anything serious right now. He could take that either really well or poorly, but it’s better to clear the air before getting too deep.” Ah, his sensible best friend. He nodded and took a deep breath.

“I can do that. It’s going to though because he could end up being a really great friend and I’d hate to lose the opportunity to get to know him.” Ji-Yoo nodded her understanding, but her face was bright with a wicked grin.

“Well we’re all very human and ual creatures, you know. Friends with benefits doesn’t sound like a bad idea now does it?” JaeJoong groaned as he hit her with his foot. She laughed and fell over pretending to be hurt.

“You’re a monster.” She giggled.

“Yeah, I know.”

--        

Hyun Gi flipped through the thick file folder, a pen tucked between his pursed hips. He held up a picture of Seoul Memorial's newest addition, Kim JaeJoong. The man looked like a model. If they made doctors that looked like him when his was younger, he would have been sick a lot more often. He set the picture down and scanned the profile page on the doctor.

Full Name: Kim JaeJoong

Former Last Name: Kang

Mother: Kim Bo Ra (birth), Kang Hae-Eun(step-mother)

Father: Kang Jae Hwa

Hyun Gi whistled, impressed.

"He's loaded huh?" The private detective sitting across from him on the other side of the desk nodded. He leaned in like he was about to tell a secret.

"Not anymore. His family cut him off as soon he turned 18. He went to undergrad and medical school on full ride scholarships." Hyun Gi nodded moving the paper aside to look at the remaining contents in the folder. He picked up a newspaper clipping from 2007 and read the headline.

'Local Seoul Teens in Near Fatal Car Crash' The picture beneath it was of a car stuck between a semi a street lamp. He read further down.

Late Sunday night, 17-year-old Kim JaeJoong and 17-year-old Jung Yunho were on their way home from there last soccer final of their high school careers when they were involved in a nearly fatal car crash. Investigators are still working on finding out the details, however it seems that the owner of the car, Kim JaeJoong, had malfunctioning brakes.

The next picture was of JaeJoong and Yunho, arms wrapped around each other, in their soccer uniforms. He studied the picture and noticed that JaeJoong and Yunho weren't wearing the same uniforms. He remembered Yunho saying that he went to a public school but played against top private schools in the area. However, he had failed to mention that he was friends with any members on opposing teams. More specifically he never mentioned their name.

"Any idea why his family cut him off?" Donghae shrugged.

"Not yet. But I do know how to get in touch with his half-brother find out. He's the next step to getting the whole story." Hyun Gi shook his head no.

"Don't need that right now. I just want the basics." He went back to JaeJoong's profile page and found the number to the pediatrics department. When he got an answer, he requested an appointment with JaeJoong. When it was scheduled the next call was to his sister.

"Unnie, I found Mae a doctor. I made her an appointment for next Monday." He smiled and shook his head as his sister gratefully praised him. "Not a problem. And don't worry about taking off work; I'll take her." When it was confirmed, he hung up the phone and leaned back in his office chair. Donghae laughed as he began to unwrap a candy bar.

"You're really something, boss." Hyun Gi rolled his eyes, eyeing the candy.

"Don't eat in my office. Get out." Without another word, Donghae bowed and all but ran out of Hyun-Gi's office. When he was alone again, he looked down at the picture of him and Yunho on his desk. The smile on his face had been so big as Yunho planted a kiss on his check. He reached out and touched Yunho's face. He wouldn't lose Yunho without a fight.

....

"Yunho came out of the bathroom, drying his hair with one hand and scrolling through emails on his phone with the other. It had been a long night. Sunday or not, emergencies didn't stop. Unfortunately, the ER had been a doctor short and Yunho got called in to help out and ended up staying until another doctor came to relieve him. Whether or not he was going into work on Monday was still up in the air.

He had just sat down on the edge of the bed as Hyun Gi came into the room. Yunho smiled at him.

"What have you been up to?" Hyun Gi kissed the top of his head as he walked by to go to his entrance of their shared closet.

"I was on the phone with my sister. I made an appointment for Mae to see a pediatrician and completely forgot to ask about what medications she's taking." Yunho raised his eyebrows.

"I thought you weren't talking to your sister." Hyun Gi shrugged as he grabbed a pair of dress pants off the shelf.

"Well for Mae's sake, I gave it ago. She's my niece and I love her." He pulled out a red sweater. "Plus, Mae’s been sick for almost a month and my sister seems to be too incompetent to find her a proper pediatrician." Yunho watched him as he placed his outfit on the back of one of the chairs. Hyun Gi was generous, but he held grudges like no one Yunho ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter