19. Circles

Boomerang's
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JaeJoong placed aside another chart, adding it to the mounting pile on his desk. He hadn’t left his office, except to go to the bathroom, since earlier that morning. Closing his eyes, he covered his face with both of his hands. He couldn’t get the posters out of his head. That had been the first time he had ever seen the woman whose picture was on the poster next to his. But if whoever had the posters made knew what they were talking about, that meant JaeJoong knew even less about his past than he previously thought he did. That woman hadn’t been at the hospital when he woke up from surgery. Actually, no one related to JaeJoong had been there.

He lowered his hands from his face and stared blankly across the room. Come to think of it, he hadn’t seen anyone who knew him, other than his family’s personal driver, until 6 weeks later when he was finally discharged from the hospital.

FLASHBACK: 11 Years Ago

The black town car came to a stop in a long driveway that was connected to a outlandishly large mansion. JaeJoong leaned forward in the seat to get a better look. There was a twinge of pain over his left eyebrow as he tried and failed to recognize the house.

“Young master JaeJoong, we’re here.” The driver turned to JaeJoong and spoke. JaeJoong’s mouth twisted in a grimace at the title.

“Just call me Jae.” He insisted before opening the car door and getting out. The driver hurried around to the trunk to get JaeJoong’s bags before leading the way up the steps to the front door. The large double doors opened without needing to ring a door bell and maid bowed to JaeJoong before taking the bags from the driver. She smiled at JaeJoong and gestured for him to follow her.

“You must be tired. Is there anything I can get you?” She asked and JaeJoong shook his head no slowly. He looked around at the lavish decorations and the high coliseum-like ceilings. If something wasn’t painted stark white, it was a gaudy shade of gold. None of it was familiar to him and it made him feel like he was intruding in someone else’s home.

She led the way up a long winding staircase that revealed a hallway of doors that he assumed were bedrooms. They walked all the way to the end of the hall to the last door. She opened it and waited for him to go in. The walls were shades of light blue and sea foam green. The bed was large and immaculately made and the huge bay windows let in beautiful fall afternoon sunshine. But it was hard to really focus on that beyond the stacks and stacks of boxes piled in the center of the room. He turned to look at the maid who had what seemed to be a regretful look on her face.

“Um, are all these things mine?” He asked and she nodded.

“University orientation week begins in two weeks. Madam Kang saw that you received a scholarship to the University of Tokyo, so she accepted on your behalf when you were in the hospital. Your flight leaves tomorrow morning at 7am.” Her explanation was quick and sounded well-rehearsed. But there was so much missing.

He looked between her and the boxes before walking over to the bed. Laying on top of the blanket was a large envelope with the University of Tokyo emblem on it and a smaller envelope addressed to him. He opened it and found a check inside of it for 20 thousand US dollars. Behind the check there was a folded piece of paper. He took it out and unfolded it. They were printed instructions on converting it to Japanese currency and printed at the bottom there was a handwritten note that read:

If you need more, just use your credit card. The family will continue to pay for the bill until it is cut off at the end of your Freshman year. – Kang Family.

He snorted to himself. This had to be some joke. He turned back to the maid who was still standing there as if she were waiting to be dismissed. But since she seemed to be the only person who knew what was going on between the two of them, he couldn’t let her go just yet.

“Who is the Kang’s? My last name is Kim, isn’t it?” He asked and watched as her face went through several emotions before settling on one that JaeJoong couldn’t quite figure out.

“You changed your last name a few years ago. Madam Kang is your mother.” She answered slowly as if she was trying her best to make it sound believable. He tilted his head, not any less confused.

“But why would I -” He began to say but she interrupted him and bowed so quickly she nearly fell over.

“I’m sorry young master JaeJoong but I really need to go. If you need anything, the kitchen is down the stairs and to the left of the main hallway.” When she was finished, she turned and all but ran out of the room. He stared after her completely lost. What the was going on?

Sighing, he turned back to look at the room that was apparently his. He walked around the stack of boxes, carefully stepping over the ones stacked closer to the ground. The walls lined with shelves were completely bare and spotless. He ran his fingers over them and then moved to the closets that were in the same barren state. He flipped on the light and walked into it, trying desperately to remember anything about it, but he couldn’t. He couldn’t imagine living in such a big room as only one person. It all just seemed too much.

Turning out the light in the closet, he went over to the windows next. He looked out over the massive back yard that was decorated with patio tables and chairs and the garden was immaculately kept. It was beautiful, but like everything else, unfamiliar to him. Sighing he picked up the university packet and opened. There was a welcome note and information regarding the major he had chosen, which he found was to be premed. Hell, he didn’t even know what he wanted to be! Was he even smart enough to be a doctor? He clutched the envelope a little tighter as nerves began to build in his stomach.

“Oh, you’re here.” His head jerked up at the sound of the voice. A tall woman with short black hair stood in the doorway, a box in her hand. Her blazing red dress showed off a figure that looked good for someone who looked as mature in age as she did; maybe 50 or so. He fumbled with the envelope as he put the papers back inside.

“Uh, I…” He began and trailed off. He felt stupid. She looked at him as if she could sense what he was feeling and agreed.

“Hopefully the maid explained to you what was going on. All the boxes will arrive after you in Japan, so you won’t be without your things for long. The allowance should be enough to take care of any expenses you have that your scholarship won’t cover.” She said and raised the box. “Your father apologizes for not being here, but he’s very important and busy. He sends this in his absence.” She put the long box down on the empty desk near the door and smoothed her hands over the front of her dress. JaeJoong eyed the box and the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter