3. Choices

Boomerang's
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yunho yawned and stretched himself out long, like a starfish. The room was super bright with sunlight which meant it was morning and time for breakfast. His stomach growled and he laughed. Sitting up, he turned to get out of bed, but stopped when he realized the spot next to him was empty. Where was JaeJoong?

He jumped out of bed and ran out of his room and down the stairs. In the kitchen, his mom was leaning against the kitchen counter, wearing her nurse uniform and drinking coffee. She smiled when she saw Yunho.

"Good morning, Prince Yunho." He smiled, but was still confused by why JaeJoong wasn't there.

"Good morning, mommy." He sat down at the kitchen table. "Where's Joongie hyung?" His mom smiled, but it didn't look like her usual one.

"Well his nanny called and said that his lesson time was moved up so he left a little bit ago. I made him breakfast to take with him." She reached into her shirt pocket and pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to Yunho. "He told me to give this to you."  Yunho took the folded piece of paper and opened it. He took a second to read it, because it was in English. After carefully reading it and remembering what each word meant, he became really sad.

You are my friend and my family. I love you.

He loved JaeJoong too.

....

Son Yee waved goodbye to Yunho who stood in the doorway of his grandmothers house. Eun Hee waved as well, but her expression was unreadable. When she had told her mother what she was going to do, Eun Hee had begged her to just go the police instead. But Son Yee knew better than that. Child abuse cases went without being investigated, and ultimately, unresolved, all the time. If she was going to get any information about JaeJoong's home life, she had to go the source first.

As she drove away, Son Yee gripped tight to the steering wheel trying to contain her anger. The phone number she called this morning wasn't even a direct number to JaeJoong's mother. It was the number to her office. In the case of an emergency, the only person the hospital was going to reach was his mother's secretary.

Driving right by the hospital where she worked, she continued to the highway. She could make it to Seoul in a little under 3 hours and still be back for her late afternoon shift.  For the entire drive, she practiced what she was going to say and made several promises, that she hoped she could keep, about not getting angry enough to say something  she'd regret. The last thing she wanted to do was get JaeJoong into any trouble.

By the time she was pulling in the parking lot of the massive cooperate building where JaeJoong's mother worked, she was only a third less fired up. She parked and got out and headed inside. There was so much glass and gold plated door handles, she didn't want to touch anything. A security guard raised his hand, signaling her to stop before she could pass through the swing gates to get to the elevator.

"Ma'am, do you have a pass?" Son Yee adjusted the purse strap on her shoulder.

"I called this morning and spoke with the secretary of Kang Hae Eun.  She's expecting me." The guard brought his small walkie talkie up to his mouth and mumbled something in it, receiving a grainy sounding response a few moments later.  He swiped his  pass and the red lights turned green. She nodded her thanks and walked through the gates and to the elevators. She needed the one that went all the way up to 20. When it arrived, hoards of people got off, making room for her and a few more people to get on.

The ride to the 20th floor was long and daunting. Son Yee had never been in a building that had more than 10 floors. The elevator finally dinged its arrival and Son Yee, who was now the only person left on the elevator, got off. She headed down the long, elegant hallway to a huge desk. A younger woman stood up and greeted her.

"How can I help you?" Son Yee reached into her purse and pulled out her nurse badge to use as her identification.

"I'm here to see Mrs. Kang. My name is Jung Son Yee." A flicker of recognition went off in the other woman's eyes as she nodded.

"Ah Yes. Follow me, I'll let Madam Kang know you're here." Son Yee raised her eyebrows. Madam Kang? Was she serious?  As she followed the secretary down the hall, Son Yee looked at the pictures that lined the walls. In every picture, there was the same woman cutting ribbons  to debut buildings, accepting awards, and shaking hands with diplomats. Sometimes she was accompanied by a man, who Son Yee vaguely remembered being Kang Jae Hwa; Seoul's largest commercial buildings owner.

They finally got down the hall and ended up in front of a double set of frosted glass doors. The secretary peaked her head in to announce that there was a guest before turning back to Son Yee and waving her forward. She bowed one last time befor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter