10. Reality

Boomerang's
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yunho let the warmth of his mother's house soak into his bones. It was so cold out that the short walk from his car up to the front door left him nearly numb with chill.

"Here, honey." His mother handed him a cup of hot chocolate and joined him on the couch. Yunho thanked her and took a sip. He smiled and hummed in content.

"This is good." She smiled and patted his knee.

"Only the best for my handsome son," She tilted her head at him and gave him a curious look. "Not that I'm not happy to see you, but you didn't even tell me you were stopping by. Are you alright?" Yunho was hoping his mother wouldn't get right to the point so quickly, but he should have known better. She was the most perceptive person Yunho knew.

"I just really needed to see you. And...something happened." She tucked her lightly graying hair behind her ears and fixed Yunho with a serious look.

"What is it?" Yunho took another sip of hot chocolate, wanting to avoid answering for as long as possible.

"JaeJoong is working at the same hospital as me. He's a pediatrician just like he said wanted to be." Son Yee covered , her eyes wide with shock and shinning with unshed tears.

"Really? Yunho, I thought when you couldn't find him for all those years, I just assumed..." She trailed off. Yunho already knew what she was going to say.

"I did too. But part of me knew that wasn't true. I just didn't feel like the part of me he had was really lost. It would have been for sure if he was...dead." The word burned on his tongue when referring to JaeJoong. During the last year of his search for JaeJoong, Yunho fell into a deep depression. He barely ate and at one point came down with pneumonia that kept him on bed rest for nearly 2 weeks. His mother had been so worried that Yunho would never truly heal if he kept on like that.

"How is he? You guys have so much to catch up on!" Her eyes were lit up, but the light quickly died out when Yunho's expression didn't change. "Or not. Yunho, what's the matter?" For the first time the emotion he had been holding back spilled over. Lowering his head to his chest, the first tears began to fall.

"He doesn't remember me, mom." He looked up at his mom, his heart breaking all over again. "He's as beautiful and perfect as he was 11 years ago but he doesn't remember me. He looked right at me yesterday and was so confused when I said his name." He sniffled, finding it hard not to lose total control. Son Yee grabbed his hand, her face showing her own sorrow.

"Oh honey. I don't know what to say. He really hurt his head. It's a miracle that he's even living a normal life." Yunho nodded his agreement because his mother was right. When he was stressed, he still woke up in a cold sweat after having a nightmare about JaeJoong's head bleeding and him trying to stop it. He swore it was going to be a memory that would haunt him for the rest of his life.

"He could remember again one day. I don't even know how to bring it up to him without freaking him out. I have no idea how much he even remembers about himself." He wiped his face and sniffled. "I just feel like I'm going to explode. That's why I needed to see you before I went home to Hyun-Gi." Son Yee nodded.

"I understand." She gave his hand a tight squeeze. "Sweetie does this...does this change anything for you and Hyun?" Yunho found it hard to swallow all of a sudden. He coughed and looked down at their intertwined fingers.

"No." He answered simply. "I love Hyun very much and I don't think things will ever be the same with Jae. They can't be when he doesn't remember anything about us." The more of the truth he forced himself into accepting, the easier is would be. Son Yee sighed.

"As long as you're sure of yourself."

"I am." Yunho checked his watch then looked at his mother. "I've got to get going; I still haven't gone to the grocery store." He stood up and stretched. His mother stood with him and gave him a long hug that Yunho needed right then. They departed and Yunho said his goodbyes before leaving. On his way to the grocery store, he silently berated himself for not being completely honest with his mother.

He knew that he couldn't just leave JaeJoong alone. If there was something he wanted more than anything, he wanted his best friend back in his life.

...

JaeJoong took his reading glasses off and rubbed at his tired eyes. 56 charts down with only 15 more to read before he was completely caught up with the work the other doctors left. He glared at the clock that read 10:00pm and on que, his stomach growled at him like an angry dog. Pushing back from his desk, he grabbed his wallet and headed down to the cafeteria that was thankfully open until 12 am. On his way down in the elevator, he checked his phone and smiled at a text from Ji-Yoo. She sent him a picture of her holding an empty ketchup bottle and captioned it "Shoot me. Another graveyard shift." JaeJoong snapped a selfie of himself and texted back and captioned it "Same here. Text me when you're done and I'll come get you."

The elevator dinged and the doors opened to the cafeteria. It was completely deserted except for someone sitting at a table in the back. He took a moment to register who it was before he blushed. It was Dr. Jung. He closed his eyes for a second. No, Yunho. JaeJoong was still getting use to referring to the other doctor so casually.

Deciding it was best not to stare at him like an idiot, JaeJoong opened one of the fully stocked, clear door refrigerators and took out a sandwich and bottle of orange juice and headed for the automated checkout. Before he got there, he turned around and grabbed a bag of chips. After he paid, he talked himself into going over to say hello to Yunho. By the time he got half way to the table, he got too nervous and turned around.

"Jae?" Damn. He forced himself to smile and turned around.

"Hi. I don't want to bother you if you were busy." Yunho smiled and shook his head as he cleared a few charts away and set his laptop aside.

"No, you're not bothering me at all. I stopped eating hours ago and just didn't get up. Kind of by accident, but also on purpose." He shrugged. "Sometimes you need a change in atmosphere. I could use the company though." JaeJoong sat down with his food, still feeling nervous.

"I get that completely. But it's hard for me to get out of my office because I'm actually an introvert until I get to know someone." Yunho nodded.

"I know." Yunho looked up at him as if he hadn't meant to say that. "I mean, I've noticed. I haven't really seen you around since last week." Yunho covered up what he meant, but the uneasy look on his face was still there. JaeJoong decided not to read too much more into it. Instead he held up the bag of chips.

"I got these on autopilot but I'm not actually a fan of chips." Liar! JaeJoong bit his lip and tried to keep smiling. He had gotten the chips for Yunho. The other doctor smiled and accepted them.

"I was just thinking about getting a snack, so I'm happy to take them off your hands." He opened them and ate the first one. "So are you adjusting alright?" JaeJoong nodded and began to unwrap his sandwich.

"Yeah, I think so. Playing catch-up is rough but I know it's only temporary. Everyone is super nice and welcoming which helps a lot." Yunho focused completely on him as he spoke making JaeJoong feel shy.

"Where'd you work before here?" JaeJoong took another bite of his sandwich and chewed quickly so he could answer.

"A little bit of everywhere. I finished up college and my residency in Japan and stayed there for about a year or so after and then moved to a Malaysia and worked as a relief doctor at a children's hospital for about 10 months. Before Seoul I was in Busan helping a classmate set up his clinic for the elderly. Once he got it off the ground, I worked there for almost a year." He took a breath and realized what he must have sounded like. "I promise I'm not a flake. Seoul is my final stop. I swear!" Yunho stared at him for a long time before bursting into laughter.

"I don't think you're a flake at all. I think you just like to be busy so it's hard to stay in just one place. Right?" Speechless, JaeJoong could only nod. No one had ever gotten why he couldn't settle down. Honestly he didn't get it either.

"Whoa, that's it exactly! But apparently Seoul is where I grew up so I figured it was time to come back." Yunho put down the half eaten bag of chips, a more intense focus on JaeJoong than before.

"Apparently? What do you mean by that?" JaeJoong flushed and scratched the back of his head. He raised his bangs and turned his head to the left to reveal the pink raised scar that stopped about a half inch before his eyebrow.

"I was in a car accident when I was seventeen. My brakes completely failed and I got hit by a semi." He fixed his hair back down so that it lay flat. "The doctors told me my heart stopped on the operation table 3 times during surgery. When I woke up, the only thing I knew was my name." When he was finished, he looked up and found Yunho bating away tears with the back of his hand. "Yunho?"

"I'm so sorry. I-I don't really know what came over me." He wiped his face and sniffled. "That was probably weird. But I'm not always that weird. It's just been a weird day." JaeJoong blinked at him for a long time, trying not to laugh. After a minute he failed and broke out in hysterical laughter. He leaned over, clutching his side.

"I don't mean to laugh. That was just the best thing I've ever heard." He wiped his tears from laughing so hard. "I have no idea why that was so funny. I'm sorry." He covered his mouth, eyes still watering. Yunho, no longer crying, smiled.

"No, it's okay. I was the one over here acting like a crazy person." JaeJoong shook his head.

"You're not crazy at all." He tilted his head to the side as he continued to look at Yunho. The next thing he heard himself say almost knocked him out of his seat. "Can we be friends?"

His heartbeat was beating so loud, that there was no way Yunho couldn't hear it. In the span of 10 minutes, he had revealed his ugly scar, laughed in Yunho's face, and now he was asking to be frien

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter