18. Tangles

Boomerang's
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JaeJoong handed a steaming cup of tea to Changmin as he sat down next to him on the bench with his own tea in hand. Changmin smiled his thanks and took a sip. He hummed and leaned back.

“Thank God winter is over. If I get any paler my patients won’t be able to see me.” He said jokingly and JaeJoong laughed.

“I think we’re all grateful to see the sun again. It’s been so dark and dreary.” JaeJoong commented as he stared out at the hospital park. Patients and their family members were out walking, and nurses were pushing patients in wheel chairs. With Spring finally here, everyone could get back outside again.

“So how was the conference?” Changmin asked after a few moments of silence. JaeJoong bit his lip. Changmin had already beat him to the reason JaeJoong had asked to meet in the first place. After getting home yesterday, he had thought a lot about what to tell Changmin concerning Yunho. In the end he decided that ultimately, being straight forward was the best.

“Boring. I’m pretty sure I’m never going to go to another one again.” He answered and Changmin laughed.

“I practically shouted 'no' when I was asked. I’ve gone to so many and they’re all the same dreadfully boring event. But the hotels are always nice.” JaeJoong nodded and looked down at his cup. His stomach was grumbling nervously.

“Initially I was worried I’d have an even worse time because I didn’t know anyone that was going. But it turns out Yunho was there too.” He began, trying to make the transition in conversation as natural as possible. He looked at Changmin who’s eyebrows were raised.

“Oh? Well I guess that makes sense. He wants to be promoted to Department Head this year.” Changmin replied, but he seemed irritated. JaeJoong swallowed, his nerves intensified.

“Ah, so I guess you’re close then?” JaeJoong asked and Changmin shrugged.

“We’re friends. We just haven’t talked lately. Mostly because I’m pissed with him.” He said and JaeJoong tilted his head in question.

“Why? I mean if you don’t mind telling me.” In response to JaeJoong’s question, Changmin gave him a sheepish grin.

“Well it actually involves you.” JaeJoong’s eyes widened at Changmin’s answer.

“Me!” He exclaimed. Changmin chuckled.

“It’s nothing bad. We just had a bit of a disagreement when I told him I asked you out on a date. He’s engaged, but I think he has a bit of a crush on you. I gave him about it cause he wasn’t admitting it. Now that I think about it, I’m more disappointed in myself for being mad at him. It’s silly.” He finished and took a sip from his tea. JaeJoong nodded and took a drink from his own cup. Yunho’s voice telling him that he was in love with JaeJoong suddenly began to echo in his head.

“Geez, everyone know's that he’s engaged except for me.” He said offhandedly. Changmin looked at him in surprise.

“You guys have hung out quite a bit. He never mentioned Hyun Gi?” Changmin asked, clearly shocked. JaeJoong laughed and shook his head no.

“No. But then again that may have something to do with the crush you said he had. I never asked if he had anyone he was seeing either.” JaeJoong admitted. Changmin smiled knowingly down at his cup.

“Probably for a reason. I guess his crush wasn’t one sided.” Changmin’s words had JaeJoong’s palms sweating and it wasn’t because of the hot cup he was holding. Changmin had already reached the conclusion before JaeJoong even got near it.

“I... well yeah. I’m sorry.” He apologized and Changmin turned his handsome smile on JaeJoong.

“Don’t be sorry. I had a wonderful first date and I got to confirm that you are as awesome as I thought you’d be. Just because there won’t be a second date doesn’t mean we can’t be friends, right?” His eyes crinkled at the edges cutely when he finished. JaeJoong couldn’t help but return the smile.

“I’d be honored to have a friend like you. I hope you’re okay with forever.” Changmin chuckled at JaeJoong’s response. He held up his pinky to JaeJoong.

“Forever sounds really cool. Promise you mean it?” JaeJoong nodded in response and linked their pinkies.

“Absolutely!” They both shared a laugh before they settled back into comfortable silence. After a few minutes had passed, Changmin was the first to speak.

“So was there something else you wanted to talk about now that you’ve confirmed we won’t be getting married one day.” He teased making JaeJoong laugh again.

“Well it turns out that Yunho and I actually have history. The thing about it is I don’t remember, and he does...vividly.” Changmin made an ‘o’ shape with his mouth at the confession.

“You’re the friend that loss his memory in a car accident. Holy crap! He’s such a damn idiot. He should have just told me right away. I don’t know where his head has been lately.” Changmin said as he shook his head. JaeJoong leaned forward on the bench.

“So, he’s not usually so secretive?” He asked to which Changmin shook his head no.

“Yunho is a good guy and an even better doctor and friend. I think seeing you again may have really shaken him up. Not that it’s your fault of course. I think he’s just caught in a rock and a hard place.” The understanding in Changmin’s voice was making it hard to keep the ice around his anger with Yunho from melting.

“I guess I’m having a difficult time getting where he’s coming from because I can’t remember the things he does about us. And knowing that he’s engaged now has given me some serious mixed feelings on what to think of him considering how over friendly he was with me.” He hated the way that sounded coming out of his mouth. Instead of being fired up, his defenses were crumbling rapidly.

“He was wrong for being anything more than a platonic friend so I’m definitely not condoning that behavior. But I’ve known Yunho for almost 6 years now and he’s the most loyal person I know. I think that he honestly made a mistake being caught in a situation he couldn’t have possibly been prepared for.” Changmin’s voice of reason chipped away another piece of the thick ice. JaeJoong fiddled with the cup as he thought of what Yoochun said about him not being a bad judge of character. Despite not having any memories of their time together as teens, JaeJoong had still been inexplicably drawn to Yunho almost instantly which had to count for something.

“Oh.” He said dumbly. Changmin leaned over to peak at him under his bowed head.

“You deserve the right to be pissed. When or if you’re calm enough to talk to him, then make sure it’s on your terms so you get the full story.” He kissed JaeJoong gently on the cheek and went back to his side of the bench before JaeJoong could react. JaeJoong raised his hand to his cheek and chuckled.

“Hey! Friends don’t pull kiss sneak attacks.” Changmin shrugged and gave him a sly grin.

“Huh? I’ll try to remem

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter