11. Revelations

Boomerang's
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Good morning!" Yunho smiled at Changmin as he fell into step beside the Neurologist.

"Morning. Doing rounds?" Changmin nodded and shook his clip board at Yunho.

"I started early this morning, working my way across departments. Pediatrics is next." Yunho nodded quietly has he thought of the chance of running into JaeJoong while he checked on his own patient in the pediatrics department. Yunho couldn't believe how much he felt like a teenager with a crush whenever he thought about being near JaeJoong. His irritation with himself was at its peak.

When they crossed the connecting indoor bridge that led into the pediatrics department, it was like being blasted in the face with rainbows. There were brightly colored walls covered in photographs of animals and hand drawn scenes done by the patients. Even the nurses were dressed like they had come out of candy land with their scrubs in nearly every shade of the rainbow.

"It's always so shocking coming over here. It's like being transported into a cartoon." Yunho laughed and nodded in agreement. But he kind of liked it. The rest of the hospital was so serious and bland that this was a welcomed changed. It definitely was a place JaeJoong would fit into.

They turned and headed towards the rooms but Changmin stopped short when he spotted his patient who was sitting on the floor, curled up in JaeJoong's lap. Looking at JaeJoong holding a kid made Yunho feel...well he didn't really know. He just couldn't believe how natural he looked holding the little boy.

"Our Chan-Woo is so brave. You didn't even cry when you got your shot this morning." The little boy, who's head was still wrapped in bandages, smiled up at JaeJoong.

"Cause I didn't want you to think I was weak." The little boy crossed his arms over his puffed out chest making JaeJoong smile.

"You're stronger than the Hulk, Chan-Woo!" Changmin interjected as he stepped in and leaned down to JaeJoong and Chan-Woo's level. "Are you ready to go get your exam?" The little boy nodded and took Changmin's outstretched hand. Before leaving he turned and looked at JaeJoong who was just starting to stand up.

"I don't think we've met yet. I'm Dr. Shim Changmin." JaeJoong smiled and bowed.

"Department head Shim. I saw your name on Chan's chart. His vitals are fine, so I'll let you take over from here." Changmin smiled, but Yunho noted that it was different from the one he offered to everyone else.

"I'll see you around then." JaeJoong nodded and bowed one more time before looking up and noticing Yunho, who should have been seeing a patient at this point.

"Good morning, Yunho. How are you?" Yunho smiled, trying to be as natural as he could.

"I'm great. On my way to see a patient." JaeJoong smiled.

"Well then I won't hold you. I've actually got a few consultations I should be getting to." He turned and began walking away, but stopped and looked back over his shoulder. "Would you like to eat lunch together?"

"Sure. Um, I'll text you when I'm finished with morning appointments." With a whole lot more pep in his step, Yunho continued on to see his patient. On his way out, he bumped into Changmin again who was waving goodbye to his patient and their mother. He fell into step next to Yunho and sighed.

"How long should I wait to ask him out?" Yunho frowned.

"Ask who?" Yunho asked.

"Dr. Kim. I should probably figure out whether or not he's into guys first." He winked at Yunho. "He could definitely be a reason to come home earlier every night." Yunho suddenly felt unreasonably annoyed.

"I thought you had a rule about not dating other doctors. Especially not ones that work at the same hospital as you." Changmin had complained many times about how dating another doctor felt like a competition; who's work was hardest and who saved the most lives. Not once in the last 5 years that Yunho's known him has he said anything different.

"Well rules are meant to be broken. Plus, I'm almost 30. I want to settle down and start a family. It's not going to happen if I keep sitting on my hands because of some silly rule I made up to protect my pride." The seriousness in his voice shocked Yunho. That was the first time he ever heard Changmin sound so serious about wanting to make a commitment. He suddenly felt silly for being annoyed.

"You will for sure find someone." Just please, not JaeJoong, he added in his head.

"I know it will probably never be like what you and Hyun have, but I've got to try." He hit Yunho on the shoulder with his chart. "Got more patients to see. Talk to you later." Yunho waved and went his own way back to his office.

He sat down at his desk and tried to focus on preparing for the days consultations but was having a hard time coping with Changmin's express interest in Jae. He knew that it wasn't fair for him to try to prevent anyone from getting romantically involved with JaeJoong; especially since he was preparing to get married soon. But he was bothered and it made him angry that he was. If he didn't get his together, he was going to end up chasing JaeJoong away by being too overprotective and ruining a good thing with Hyun Gi. The prospect of doing either made his stomach clench anxiously.

Yunho closed his eyes and took a long deep breath to recenter his thoughts. He opened his eyes again and pushed the intercom button on his desk.

"Nurse Lee? Please send in the first patient."

JaeJoong leaned on the roof top railing, looking out at Seoul that was busy with lunch time traffic and business people hustling in and out of buildings. It was another cold day, but the sun was out for the first time in over a week and he didn't want to miss a chance to feel the warmth on his face.

"I thought you were kidding when you asked to meet on the roof." He smiled and looked at Yunho who had come through the rooftop door. He was holding a bag of food in one hand and small heat packs in the other. He tossed both of them to JaeJoong who moaned at the warmth as soon as they landed in his hands.

"It's so sunny out. And I haven't gotten up to the garden since I've been here and everyone's been telling me I should." Yunho laughed.

"I think they meant you should visit when it wasn't 30 degrees outside." He turned the bag around and presented the logo. "Lucky for you I've got just the thing to warm you up." JaeJoong clapped his hands.

"Lucky Joy Dumplings! How'd you know?" They went over and sat on a bench that was directly under sun. Now that the wind had died down, it was a little more bearable.

"Well you had three servings of dumplings when they were in the cafeteria last week so..." JaeJoong blushed. Dumplings, stuffed pasta shells, egg rolls, and ravioli. God he loved ravioli the most. But if it had filling, he was going to eat it.

"I'm sort of pig when it comes to stuff like that. You'll have to excuse me." Yunho opened the bag and pulled out a large container filled nearly to the top with dumplings, and handed it to JaeJoong. JaeJoong's mouth was practically watering.

"I know the ladies in the kitchen and asked for a few more than the regular order amount. There's pork, chicken, and vegetable filled ones." He then gave JaeJoong a pair of chopsticks before taking out his own, much smaller, container of pad Thai.

"I'm forever in your debt. How can I repay you?" Yunho continued to stir his noodles.

"Like this. Having lunch together whenever we get the chance." JaeJoong stuffed a dumpling in his mouth and chewed slowly. Everything, even the way Yunho said 'good morning' sounded romantic. He had never met anyone who oozed so much charm without trying.

"I can do that." He picked up another dumpling, but decided to put it down and ask the question he had wanted to ask Yunho three weeks ago when they were alone in the cafeteria. "Do you know me?" He shook his head. "I mean of course you know me now, but did you know me before?" He watched as Yunho slowed down chewing and looked at JaeJoong.

"Yeah, I did." JaeJoong inhaled sharply and the need to touch his forehead came over him. He hadn't met anyone that knew him before his accident. Well, his family was there. But he quickly learned that he had been a pain in their side and his father was a business man who hadn't even come home when he found out about his accident. It had been quite clear that there was no love lost when JaeJoong was well enough to leave home and go to medical school.

"Oh. Were we friends or did you hate me and are secretly just being nice to me to get revenge?" Ji-Yoo may have had a point. Yunho, still looking very somber, smiled.

"No not at all. We were friends. Best friends really." He and JaeJoong stared at each other unblinking. JaeJoong gave in first and looked back down at his dumplings. His chest hurt and he didn't know why.

"For how long?" He knew he was pushing it and it was scary. But part of him was curious enough to hold back the fear.

"Since we were 7. But you moved away and we didn't meet again until we were 17." It was so weird hearing things about himself that he didn't remember. Someone else held the key to his history that still remained locked to JaeJoong.

"Why did I move?" He shook his head. "No, never mind. I guess I really just want to know if I was a good friend to you. Did I ever do anything that hurt your feelings?" His own food completely forgotten, Yunho gave his full attention to JaeJoong.

"You have never, not even once, done anything to hurt me. So that worry can be completely put aside." He bit his lip. "Every moment we spent together was blissful. I've wanted to tell you that since realizing that you had amnesia, but I didn't want to overload you with too much in case you still didn't remember much." JaeJoong nodded, feeling his eyes start to burn. He quickly stuffed two more dumplings in his mouth. Ji-Yoo taught him that it was impossible to cry when you're mouth was full. Thankfully she was right.

When he finally finished chewing, he lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter