26: Melancholy

one plus one equals three
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Melancholy

Chanyeol woke up with a heavy heart. Byun Baekhyun hates him, point blank. He sat on the edge of his empty bed and stared off into the distance, those words continuously repeating in his head, with the word 'hate' being emphasized every time. He let out a sigh, and then another one, and another one, until eventually breaking out into sobs of sorrow. He had never cried like this before. 

Was it sadness, that he felt? No, not quite. He wasn't sad. He wasn't angry. But he absolutely wasn't happy, either. It felt like his heart had been torn out of his chest and locked into a cage. It was right there, right in front of him, but he didn't have the key to unlock it. It was an everlasting feeling of emptiness that only had one cure, and the cure was just barely out of reach.

He thought about everything that had happened from the day they met until that phone call. 

He remembers the moment that Baekhyun nervously entered his office like it was yesterday. With his trembling hands, sheepish smile and cute stutter. He was already attracted towards him, and that magnetic force that lingered around Baekhyun only grew stronger as time passed. Baekhyun was unlike anyone he had met before. A unique soul that could never be replaced. 

He was one of a kind. A person you have to cherish if you have been blessed to have met them. And he couldn't even do that and caused Baekhyun to create a strong form of hatred for him. 

At this moment, Baekhyun wasn't the only one who hated Chanyeol to the core. 

Chanyeol hated himself, too. 

How can he allow himself to forgive himself? He hurts Baekhyun by existing. He ruined his life and his own, as well.

He sighed heavily and shut his eyes briefly, allowing himself to get lost in thought again. He's hurting immensely. That's the price you pay for falling in love with the wrong person.

 

He didn't go to work that day. 

 

Or the day after that one. 

 

And stayed home the day after that as well. 

 

Until a week had passed.

 

It didn't take long for people around him to grow concerned. 

"Mr. Park," Mrs. Lee said when she knocked on the door of his bedroom. He was sitting on the same place he had spent the last three days: the edge of his bed, neatly made and completely dressed. "You have a visitor," she said. "I don't want a visitor right now. Send them back," he responded in a monotone voice without turning around. "I'm afraid I can't allow you to make that decision," Mrs. Lee said sternly and walked away. 

The sound of heels on the floor caused Chanyeol to sigh with slight disappointment. He was secretly hoping it would be Baekhyun, eventhough it was an unrealistic thought. "Mr. Park," it was Jessica. There was a rustling sound which made him assume she brought flowers. "You haven't been coming to work the past days. I'm concerned for you," she spoke softly. 

That's exactly how she was. Soft, delicate, sweet and gentle. The embodiment of a white lily flower. 

He didn't turn around to face her and kept staring off into the distance instead. Jessica walked towards the desk and placed the flowers there before sitting next to Chanyeol on the edge of his bed. 

His eyes dropped down to her hand. 

"You're wearing a ring," he pointed out. She looked at where he was pointing and let out an awkward laugh. "Yes, it, uh, it was a gift from Tiffany," she said. "You can say that you're engaged, it's fine," he told her. She had a sad smile on her face and hid the ring behind her hand. "I'm fine," he reassured, stressing the latter part. 

"I'm not here to talk about me, but about you and your health. It is not like you to suddenly disappear from work for a long time, sir," she said. She sounded genuinely concerned. "I'm afraid that something has happened to you. I'm not just your assistant, I will be all open ears to listen to your worries. Please, don't feel afraid to tell me something if it's bothering you. I care for you, and so do many others, Mr. Park," Jessica said. 

"I am alright, Ms. Jung," he mumbled. "There's no need to worry about someone like me. My health is fine and so am I," he said and surpressed a tired yawn. "With all due respect, but I don't think you are!" she suddenly snapped and stood up from the bed.

"Mrs. Lee has told me all about it. You've been sitting here spacing out for three days straight, you have barely been eating and now you're not coming to work anymore, either! I believe that everyone sees that you are not alright except for you! In case you haven't noticed, your own child is sensing it as well!" she continued, causing Chanyeol to finally look up. 

"Yeah, she has. She asked why she hasn't seen you these past days and why she's eating alone, eventhough you're home. Seek help. You're sick, Mr. Park. See a therapist. I organize your meetings, conferences and other business related parties, but I will refuse to organize your funeral if you don't seek help," Jessica said and stood up, striking her skirt straight. 

"I'm going back to the office. COO Kim has taken over things for now. I wish that you recover soon so that he doesn't have to make it a permanent solution. Everyone from the company is expressing their concern, so please, I beg you, seek professional help. Take care of yourself, Mr. Park," Jessica said and left his room. 

He sat there in silence, allowing the words to sink in, before calling for Mrs. Lee.

 

"Yes, Mr. Park?"

"Could you schedule a doctor's appointment for me?"

 

===============

 

"How is he?" Baekhyun said softly into his phone. "I'd lie and say he's alright, but he's doing awful. He hasn't come into work for over a week and is allowing his health to hit an all time low. Honestly, shouldn't you go and see him? Why do you hate him that much?" Jessica said. Baekhyun couldn't help but call her and as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter