24: The Birthday Party

one plus one equals three
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The Birthday Party

A week had passed and Baekhyun found himself back at the mansion, together with Jongdae. "I'm still confused why you dragged me here," Jongdae asked after Baekhyun rang the doorbell. "I've already told you. It's because Chanyeol gets on my nerves and you need to keep me from slapping him. Now shut up and stop complaining," Baekhyun responded between gritted teeth. The door was opened by Mrs. Lee whose smile broadened when she saw his face. "Ah, Mr. Byun! So great to see you again, come in," she told them while stepping aside to let them inside. 

There were tons of baby pink coloured balloons mixed with white balloons around the mansion. "Quite the lavish birthday party for a four year old," Jongdae muttered and Baekhyun nudged him in his side. "They're spoiled rich. Be nice," he warned and walked towards the living room where the other guests were. It didn't seem as if it was a party for Jihae, more so one for Chanyeol to show her off to everyone he knew. Despite that, the girl looked happy as she played with the other children guests had brought. 

"Jihae!" Baekhyun called out and the small girl stopped in her steps and quickly turned around. "Daddy!" she screamed while running into his arms excitedly. "You're home! I missed you!" she said while wrapping her tiny arms around his neck. "I missed you too, so so much. Do you want to open your present?" he said and she nodded and impatiently tore the wrapping off the gift after she was put down. She gasped loudly when she opened the box and pulled out a beautiful light pink dress with white roses embroiderd onto it. "A new dress! Thank you!" she said and ran over to Chanyeol to show him. 

"Look daddy! Isn't it pretty?" she said while holding it up to him, jumping up and down in anticipation for an answer. "Very pretty, just like you. Why don't you go and try it on?" he told her. "Okay! Auntie Lee, can you help me put it on?" she said and ran towards Mrs. Lee with the dress in her hands before disappearing upstairs. 

"Thanks for doing this, by the way. It means a lot to me," Chanyeol said after he had made his way towards Baekhyun. Baekhyun side-eyed him, not in the best mood to be talking with him. "I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing this for her," he said to him in a cold tone before walking away to grab something to drink, leaving Chanyeol and Jongdae alone. "Did I say something wrong?" Chanyeol asked Jongdae in confusion to which he shrugged. "He doesn't like you that much, dunno why, but he doesn't. I'll go talk to him," he replied and walked into Baekhyun's direction.

Chanyeol sighed in mild frustration. He had clearly somehow managed to piss him off again without even knowing how he did it. "Hey, sorry I'm late," he heard and turned around to see someone he never wanted to see more. "Kris, glad you made it. Consider yourself fashionably late," Chanyeol joked. They started chatting comfortably, mostly discussing the business world together and how their lives were before they really got into it. 

"Baekhyun, what was that? You tell me to be nice but you're on the verge of cursing at the man for breathing. What's going on with you?" Jongdae asked him when he had gotten to him. Baekhyun didn't reply, his eyes were glued on one sight. 

Chanyeol was talking with that guy again, and he hated it. 

"Sorry, I'm just a bit stressed over being here again. It brings back bad memories," he lied. He knew why he was lashing out at Chanyeol left and right. It was because he witnessed him moving on and he realized that he hadn't done that yet despite what he was telling himself everytime.

"At least apologize to the poor guy. I don't want to see a fight break out at the party of a four year old," Jongdae said with a sigh and gently pushed Baekhyun into Chanyeol's direction. He was still talking with that man, how could he just interrupt? He turned around to walk back but Jongdae's angry glare caused him to turn back and continue walking. He carefully tapped Chanyeol on his shoulder. 

"Can I talk to you in private for like, ten seconds, maybe?" he asked. Chanyeol turned to Kris for a moment who gave him the sign it was okay. "Yeah, sure."

They walked out onto the hallway just outside of the kitchen. "So.. What did you want to talk about?" Chanyeol asked. This was awkward. No, beyond awkward. "I- I just wanted to apologize for lashing out on you like that. That wasn't really nice of me. So sorry. For doing that. That's all," Baekhyun said, averting his gaze away from Chanyeol. "It doesn't really sound sincere if you don't try to look me in the eye, y'know," Chanyeol chuckled. Baekhyun sighed and rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Fine," he said and exaggerated his eye contact with Chanyeol by stepping close to his face. "I am sorry for snapping at you," he said, dragging out each word before stepping away. "That's all," he said and walked away without giving Chanyeol the chance to scold him for doing it insincerely again. 

"What a child," he mumbled to himself while watching Baekhyun walk back to Jongdae. 

"A beautiful and adorable child."

 

====================

 

They were doing basic birthday stuff. Sing happy birthday, unwrap gifts, eat cake, watch the children endanger themselves while they were playing together, you know, like you always do. It went from a birthday party to a formal adult party once Chanyeol decided Jihae was too tired to stay awake and brought her to bed, and the guests who had young and small children decided it was time for them to go home as well. 

"It's like a competition who can boast the most about their achievements," Jongdae whispered to Baekhyun. The only guests left were business people and some celebrities, and it quickly turned into an event to close deals that could earn you millions. "Rich people are the weirdest people you'll ever meet," Baekhyun whispered back to which Jongdae snorted. "Says the one making my yearly income in two months," he said. "But I don't act like one, do I? I still shop at H&M instead of hording all the clothes at Chanel. Plus, I use plastic bags as trashbags. I'm poor at heart," Baekhyun argued

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter