22: Heartbreak

one plus one equals three
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Heartbreak

 

Chanyeol refreshed the website page multiple times, kept his eye on his phone for any calls or texts and even checked for emails. He wanted to know how Baekhyun was adjusting in SM Entertainment, but it felt wrong for him to contact him. He really had to move on. He had gotten less strict at work and he was doing his work just as he had always done, though it did feel... Emptier. Jessica was glowing with joy lately which did brighten up the mood although it wasn't quite the same. 

"This is ridiculous, there's nothing wrong with calling him, right?" he muttered to himself which caught Jessica's attention. "Did you ask me something, Mr. Park?" she said with a kind smile. "Do you mind giving me a piece of advice?" he asked her. She seemed a bit taken aback from the question but complied anyway. "How would you feel if your ex called you after doing you a favor, just to see how you were doing?" he asked her. "It's a rethorical question."

"Uhm, probably grateful? It depends on what the favor is," she answered. "Let's say the favor was.. Helping them move houses, would you be pleasantly surprised by a phone call from them?" he added. She shrugged. "I probably would. May I ask where this question is coming from?" Jessica responded but Chanyeol had already picked up his phone and started making his way for the hallway. "Rethorical question, Ms. Jung!" he called out while closing the door.

"Okay. Just a phone call. He'll think it's a kind gesture, no?" Chanyeol whispered to himself while dialing Baekhyun's number. 

It rang for a moment before the ringing stopped. 

"Hello?" He answered! He actually answered! Now what? 

Chanyeol was frozen in his shoes and any words he had somewhat planned to say had gotten stuck in his throat.

"Hello? Chanyeol, is that you?" 

"Yes! Yes, sorry, it's me. I, uh, sorry. I was just wondering how you were doing," he managed to say. There was a soft chuckle from the other side of the line. Chanyeol's smile broadened when he heard it. It felt so nice to hear him happy again. "I've been doing alright, a bit busy but alright. I'm actually not allowed to say this, but you probably know already: I'm going to make a solo debut as a singer! I'm pretty excited to be honest!" Baekhyun said and Chanyeol couldn't help but smile even wider. His worry had disappeared when he heard how estatic he was about his debut. "I'm sure you'll do great. Is he being too harsh on you? Kyungsoo, I mean," he asked. "No, not really. I mean he kind of filled my schedule up to the brim and I've been losing some sleep over it, but he's not cruel to me if that's what you mean," Baekhyun responded. 

"Hey, Baekhyun, have you seen my shirt?" Chanyeol could hear a voice from the distance he could vaguely remember. "I thought it was dirty and put it in the washing machine, should've told you, sorry," Baekhyun responded before returning his attention to the phonecall. "Who was that?" Chanyeol asked, trying his best not to sound jealous. "Oh, sorry, that was Jongdae. We've gotten back together recently," Chanyeol felt his heart rip apart at the sound of it. Baekhyun had moved on already, seeing as he felt comfortable sharing that with him. "It was nice talking with you again, I have to go now. Good luck at work!" Baekhyun said and ended the call after Chanyeol had muttered a quiet 'goodbye'. 

He wished he hadn't called him. 

"How did the phone call go?" Jessica asked when he entered the office again. He turned towards her and put a fake smile on. "Fantastic."

 

================

 

He watched Jessica and Tiffany leave the building holding hands together later that night after he had finished work. He smiled at the sight of it and greeted the security guards goodnight before getting into his car to go home. There was only one person who could heal his loneliness right now: 

Jihae.

"Welcome home, Mr. Park," he was greeted when he arrived at his house. "Is she already asleep?" he asked Mrs. Lee and she shook her head with a soft smile. "She has been waiting for you to read her to sleep," she answered. He made his way up the stairs to the room of his precious daughter. He opened the door to see her picking out various different books in her pink little onesie before she turned around to see her father in the doorframe. 

"Daddy!" she called out excitedly and dropped all the books on the floor to run towards him for a big hug. He picked her up from the floor and held her close in his arms. "Did you miss me, Jihae?" he asked her and she nodded frantically. "I waited really long! I picked out a lot of books for us to read, daddy!" she said with a big smile and motioned for her father to set her back down on the floor so she could show him.

He watched his daughter hold up several books for him to see and ran around to gather even more. Jihae's happiness truly was the best medicine to heal his broken heart.

"When is daddy coming back?" she asked him after he had finished reading one of the countless books she picked out.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter