Spell

By My Side: Bonus Material

- October 4, 2005 -

It was the first sunny afternoon for since the first week of the term, and Minho had insisted that he and Kibum spend some time outside before heading up to the seventh floor to study after dinner. They picked apples for themselves for a snack as they made their way out to the yard.

The sun was out and shining, but it was on the cool side of warm. Heavy gray clouds occasionally passed over it, the threat of rain lurking in the air.

Still, they stayed, Kibum laying beside Minho, who was sitting with his back against a rock. They talked about whatever came to mind, which, at the moment, was Kibum venting about the essay they were assigned in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Minho listened, humming in response, but his eyes never left the Whomping Willow.

It was such a strange tree.

There were so many in Korea, all unsurprisingly non-violent. They even had one in their backyard. Dad hung a swing for them and everything. 

“Random question,” Minho asked once Kibum sighed after he finished his thoughts about the essay.

“Hmm?”

Minho took another bite of his apple, wiping the juice off his lips as he chewed quickly. “Is this the only Whomping Willow in the world?”

Kibum squinted up at him, holding his hand over his eyes to block the muted sunlight. “I’m not sure. I think Grandma said they were more but I don’t know where.”

He nodded to the Forbidden Forest. “Think there could be some in there?” Kibum shrugged and Minho took another bite of his apple. “I wonder if they’re like -- “ he swallowed his bite “ -- the guardians of the forest.”

Smiling, Kibum lowered his hand and clasped them together over his stomach. “I don’t see why not.”

Minho tossed the apple core away when he was finished, the juice off his fingers before wiping them dry on his pants. It’d be time to head inside soon since dinner would be starting within the hour. He yawned, freezing mid-stretch when he felt the pitter-patter of raindrops on his skin. 

It didn’t take long for them to head inside, but by the time they reached the castle, they were both drenched. Minho slipped out of his robe quickly and helped Kibum out of his. The sound of the downpour outside almost drowned out Kibum’s chattering teeth, Minho’s own sniffling, and the rain dripping from their robes onto the floor.

Almost.

After a second or two of searching, Minho took his wand out of his robe pocket. “Accio hoodies!” It only took a moment before two of Minho’s Manchester hoodies made their way to where they stood in the corridor. Minho tossed their robes on the windowsill so he could catch them. “Which one do you want?” he asked, holding up his red and black Manchester hoodies. 

“Thanks, Min,” Kibum said as he reached for the red one.

“Yeah, no problem.”

Soon, they were both a little warmer. Kibum moved around Minho and grabbed the robes, and they both started walking down the hall. “Let's go see if the fireplaces are lit in the Great Hall, so we can dry these off.”