Guarded

By My Side: Bonus Material

- October 13, 2005 -

It was a rare occasion, to be let out of History of Magic early. It didn’t happen often. In fact, in the three years that Kibum had been at school, this was only the third time, and it was for the same reason every time.

Professor Binns had been in the midst of drolly reading someone’s -- out of sheer boredom, Kibum had forgotten who -- essay on the witch hunts in America when he just...stopped talking, sat back in his chair, and started to snore. Those who were still awake stayed quiet for a moment, glancing around at each other. Kibum pinched Minho’s elbow until he stirred.

“Hm...what?”

“It happened again.”

Minho sniffed, blinking blearily as he looked over at where Professor Binns slept...or whatever it was ghosts did when it looked like they were sleeping. He stared for a minute as he gradually became more alert.

“Hey,” Aaron slapped his hand on their desk, startling Minho. “We’re gonna go finish our reading in the library, if you wanna join us?”

Analecia walked up behind them, her books in hand, and raised her eyebrows expectedly at Kibum. “You up for that, buddy?” he said, glancing over at a still very sleepy Minho.

“Yeah...” 

“We’ll meet you down there.” Kibum started to help Minho pack his backpack full of their things as they walked away with most of the other students. “You good?” he asked, once they were standing and Minho started to sway a little. He nodded, and trudged out the door. Kibum kept his hand on Minho’s backpack, ready to guide him away from doorways or to catch him if he started to fall down the stairs.

Minho was not usually that clumsy, but after a History of Magic nap? For some reason, those were always the worst to wake up from.

They made slow progress to the library, and once they were inside, it took a while to find them. Eventually, they found Aaron, Callum, and Analecia in the Reference section, sitting at one of the tables. Kibum and Minho sat opposite them, and Minho set his backpack between them as he dug out their books.

“Hey, Minho,” Aaron said, leaning toward him on the table. Minho’s eyes flicked toward him, his expression slightly nervous. “Did you hear about England’s win yesterday?”

He gasped. “Yes! My brother wrote to me about it!”

Oh, it was just football.

Kibum rolled his eyes with a smile as Minho’s remaining nap fog was completely eradicated. He leaned across the table, too, and both started talking excitedly about the details of a game that neither of them watched. Kibum finished getting their books out, sliding Minho’s to him before opening his own. 

It was hard to concentrate, with both of them chattering on like they were. Somehow the conversation morphed from football to Quidditch, and now Callum joined them. Kibum rested his cheek on his hand, glancing over at the three of them before his gaze settled on Minho.

It was always...sorta cute how happy he got whenever he talked about sports. Kibum didn’t understand it at all, but he was willing to indulge Minho whenever he talked to him about it. His excitement was palpable, and Kibum couldn’t help but smile himself. 

Analecia coughed and Kibum blinked as he looked over at her, surprised to find her giving him a knowing look -- quite similar to the ones Jonghyun would give him during Minho’s visit this last summer. He glanced between her and Minho before he shook his head at her. He was his best friend, like, so what that Minho brought out his soft side? It wasn’t that big of a deal, right?

Whatever...maybe he’d just have to be a little more guarded with his expressions when he and Minho were around other people.

He looked down at his book again, trying to find where they had left off in class.