Chapter 3

My Sweet Revenge, Love

“Please be quiet, everyone!”

All girls stopped arguing when they heard Dylan’s voice.

“I can’t take the most experienced and the most skilled one from here. It may cause problems for the department.” He explained.

“Ah! Oh, I only worked here for 5 years. I don’t have that much skill and experience!”

“Nonsense! You already have 5-year experience! The department needs you. Dylan should choose me. I’m quite new!”

While everyone’s fighting for the role, Shen Yue stood quietly playing with her hands. She wished this chaos would end soon.

“One more thing!” Dylan interrupted the fight.

“Yes?” All girls turned to look at him.

“Working with me is not easy. That person will have to carry heavy stuff, find documents, record data, work overtime, and sometimes can only sleep for 3 hours. Some other times, we may miss breakfast or lunch, and there’s no overtime bonus for that. Please consider it carefully, ladies.”

“Miss breakfast or lunch?”

“Only 3 hours of sleep?”

“No overtime bonus for all of those??”

“Look like none of you can do that,” Dylan said with a sad tone, but he looked weirdly happy.

At that moment, everyone turned to look at the clueless Shen Yue.

“YueYue! Why don't you take that assistant position.” Director said while Yue’s co-workers nodded their head enthusiastically.

“What?” Shen Yue exclaimed.

“You will be the temporary assistant of Dylan, while he’s here.”

“Me?” Yue pointed at herself.

“Yes, who else?” one of her co-worker said.

“That’s right. I will need your help. Hope you would help me.” Dylan said with a wide grin.

“But-But I don’t have much experience-“

“Don’t worry. I will teach you.” Dylan smiled even wider that it somehow looked quite evil.

“It’s decided! This meeting is dismissed. Everyone can go back to work!” Director announced. Everyone soon went back to their desks.

“YueYue, fighting! Dylan put his trust in you. Don’t disappoint him!” Director patted her should before walking away, leaving Shen Yue standing alone with Dylan in the meeting room. She wasn’t sure whether she should be happy or sad about this.

“I’ll be in your care, Yue.” Dylan winked (or at least he tried).

Shen Yue could only smile awkwardly back.

--------------------------------------------------------------

After work, Dylan insisted on inviting her for a dinner. She couldn’t refuse him, so there they were, in Dylan’s car, on their way to a famous French restaurant.

“You’ve always worked for your family business. What made you change your mind and came to Beijing?” Dylan asked after he finished his food. 'Let's see what she has to say about that,' he thought.

“Oh, it’s because of my father.” Shen Yue put down her drink loudly when she recalled what happened, “He matchmade me with a SCARY PIG-HEAD! I refused, and the rest is history.”

Dylan who was drinking his wine almost spat out his drink. He quickly took his handkerchief to wipe his mouth. His warm smiley face a while ago was replaced with a funny half mad and half disbelieved face.

“A scary pig..pig-head?” He admitted that he could be quite scary but a pig-head?? What nonsense did this girl hear about him?

“Eh, is there anything wrong?” Shen Yue asked out of worry after seeing Dylan chocked on his drink.

“Nothing. This wine is just too strong.” Dylan lied and tried to smile, but in his mind, he thought, 'how dare she?! A pig-head?'

“Really? But you were drinking it just fine since the food arrived.”

“It was fine with food, but drinking it alone was too much,” Dylan said flatly. His mind was still trying to digest his newfound nickname. 

“Okay…if you said so.” Shen Yue was skeptical but decided to drop the topic.

“Have you finished your dinner?” Dylan asked. Shen Yue nodded.

“Then shall we? It’s already late. I’ll take you home.” Dylan paid for the dinner and drove Shen Yue home.

When they arrived at her apartment building, Shen Yue thanked and bid Dylan goodbye. She came home thinking about how nice he was, and how grateful she was to work with him.

Dylan, on the other hand, sat in his car and watched her getting into the building. When she’s gone, he closed his eyes and sighed out of frustration. This girl was really something. How come a seemingly innocent girl like her could take him aback like this? He really had to make up a new plan to take revenge on her.

He thought of the humiliation she had put him through when she ran away that day. To be frank, he wasn’t keen on the idea of that dinner either. He only went there because his parents kept nagging him, so he thought he could just go through it and find some excuse to get away from that engagement idea later.

But his pride was destroyed when she ran away. Although no one dared to talk about it, only heaven knew what those hotel employees thought of him. Not to mention, when his three best friends heard about that, they never failed to bring it up to . Heaven knew how much he wanted to strangle them sometimes. He, Wang Hedi, might look nice, but he would never let anyone who messed with him walk away without payback.

‘Shen Yue, let’s see how long can you endure it.’ Dylan laughed, thinking about his new plan.

-------------------------------------------------------------- 

 “Come in,” Dylan said when he heard a knock on the door of his temporary office. The accounting department director walked in.

“Sir-“

“Shh.” Dylan hushed, “I told you to call me Dylan while I’m here.”

“Yes, Dylan” the director quickly said, “about the thing you asked me to do, I’ve already got it done. Now YueYue is your assistant as you wish.”

‘So he came to claim his merit, eh.’ Dylan thought

“About that, you did a very good job, but I hope you can help do me one more favor” Dylan signaled the director to lean in closer to him. Dylan whispered something in his ears, making the director’s eyes went wide.

“em… is it really ok?”

“What’s there to be not ok?” Dylan responded with an evil grin. That’s what she deserved.

“O…kay…” the director wondered what wrong had YueYue done to Dylan for him to make this order, “if there’s nothing else, may I get back to work?”

Dylan waved his hand, signaling that he could go. As the door closed, Dylan stood up and turned to look at the city skyline from his window, with his hands in his pockets. The corner of his mouth curved up slightly.

-------------------------------------------------------------- 

  Shen Yue walked into the break room with a smile. 

 “Good morning, Dylan!” She greeted Dylan who was making a cup of coffee. 

“Good morning.” Dylan greeted Shen Yue back with a dazzling smile.

‘It’s that smile again,’ Shen Yue felt her violent heartbeats. If he kept smiling and being nice to her like that, she’s afraid she might fall for him. She quickly went to the nearby table and took out the breakfast sandwich she picked up on the way to work.

“Have you had your breakfast?” Dylan came to sit across her and kept staring at her with that dazzling smile.

“I’m…eat-eating.” Shen Yue who just took a bite of her sandwich stuttered. She told herself to calm down, but how could she calm down when this man was looking at her with that smile as if he’s staring right into her soul?!

“Do you want some?” She picked up the untouched half of her sandwich to give him. Maybe he’s hungry. That’s why he looked at her like that.

“Sure!”

Shen Yue thought he would refuse, but surprisingly, he accepted. What’s even more shocking was that he quickly took a big bite from her half-eaten sandwich, not the new one she handed him!!! Shen Yue could hear gaps from her co-workers who witnessed what happened.

“Em…delicious. See you at the office,” Dylan smiled and walked out of the break room, leaving Shen Yue was still shocked by what just happened.

“Did you see that?”

“Did Dylan just take a bite from her sandwich?”

“Did you just give him your half-eaten sandwich?”

“Disgusting! I thought you were better than that, YueYue.”

“I-“

Her female co-workers accused her and walked away before she could even explain what happened. Frankly, she didn’t know what just happened either. Shen Yue sighed and put her sandwich back into the box. She already lost her appetite. She was about to go back to her temporary office with Dylan when the director walked into the break room.

“YueYue, have you looked at the time? You only arrived now?!" He scolded her.

“Yes?” Shen Yue was confused. There were 10 more minutes before the work hour started. What’s wrong with her arriving now?

“You are a new employee, but you dare to slack off! You really think that this job is easy, don’t you?”

“I’m sorry, director. I really don’t understand what you mean?” Shen Yue was honestly confused.

“From tomorrow, you have to come to work an hour early to prepare documents and prepare tea and coffee for everyone in this break room in advance. If you are late even for 1 minute, I’ll consider you as coming late, and I’ll deduct your salary. Do you hear me?” As soon as he finished, the director left the room before Shen Yue could protest.

Some of her co-workers who were still in the room came to show their fake concern.

“Poor you, YueYue. Now even our director is mad at you. From now on, try to work harder, okay? I’m afraid you might get fired if you don’t.”

Shen Yue just sat back down on the chair and said nothing with her head down. Seeing that, Dylan who was watching the whole thing came to pat her shoulder.

“Don’t be sad, Yue. Don’t take their words to your heart. Just try not to come to work late, and there should be no problem.” He comforted her, but he was smirking inside.

“No! I’m not sad!” Shen Yue looked at Dylan with a genuine smile. Dylan was taken aback because she genuinely didn’t look sad or upset.

“Director gives these many tasks to me because he trusts me and wants to train me to be a better employee. My father used to tell me that people give you work because they believe that you will do a good job. I’m really happy that Director trusts me, but I’m just worried that I may not be good enough. I’m afraid that I will disappoint him.” Shen Yue innocently explained.

Dylan just blinked. He was speechless. Was this girl just pretending or was she really an idiot?? Was there something wrong with her brain?

Dylan who was waiting to see her cry out of frustration lost all of his excitement. Now the one who might cry out of frustration might be him instead. He looked at her again. She was still smiling, and that eyes…those big round eyes looked so innocent that he felt his anger and frustration slowly disappeared, as he kept looking at her.

 

He shook his head slightly. ‘Dylan, get a grip. This might be a trap. You still have to take revenge on her.’ He felt his determination returned, but somehow why did he have a bad feeling about that?