Chapter 9

My Sweet Revenge, Love

That was not what Dylan expected. When he thought of the test, he expected that he would feel nothing or maybe even feel disgusted when kissing a person who left him with humiliation. However, none of that happened.

The moment his lips touched hers, he could feel an excitement and a warm sensation spread all over his body. His arms being faster than his brain went up to wrap around her small delicate body, bringing her closer to him. He found himself being lost in her warmth, her sweet scent, and her soft lips. But why? Why instead of pushing her away, he found himself being pulled in close to her as if they were two opposite poles of magnets? At that moment, their lips battled, just like his heart and his brain.

Then everything happened like a snap. Every moment came rushing into his mind: the moment he first looked into her big round eyes near the archive, the moment she genuinely smiled at him in the break room, the moment he was annoyed at her for being easily tortured by him and being bullied by others, the moment she foolishly confronted those two boys and the robber, and the moment she was sick and absent. Most importantly, his friends’ words came rushing back, ‘you’re not sick or anything! You just fell for her, whoever she is.’

As if it’s on cue, his mind clicked the same time as the fire alarm went off.

‘Admit it, Dylan. You have fallen for her.’

--------------------------------------------------------------

“Why do you keep staring at me like that?” Yueyue asked Dylan—who was sitting across her at the dining table, with blush evident on her face.

Since they broke off from the kiss a while ago, Dylan had been acting so strange. He had been staring at her adoringly as if she was the only moon in his starry eyes.

Thinking about the kiss, Yueyue blushed even harder. That was her first kiss for heaven sake, and she actually lost it for his so-called ‘testing’! She frowned. He didn’t tell her what he meant by ‘testing’, or did he? She recalled that he said something to her, but because of the loud fire alarm, she couldn’t hear it clearly. She was debating whether she should ask him about that, but she ended up not to, fearing that he might get mad at her again.

But hey! She was the victim here! He was the kiss thief! At that, Yueyue subtly pouted and glared at him. However, in Dylan’s eyes, she looked like an angry but adorable kitten. He had the urge to reach out to squeeze her cheeks and pat her head. 

“Nothing. Just eat your breakfast. It’s getting cold,” Dylan chuckled and continued to look at her lovingly with his chin resting on his hand. Yueyue huffed and ate her breakfast quickly as if she’s letting out all of her anger on the food. 

“You’re done?” Dylan asked as Yueyue took the last bite of her breakfast. She just nodded without looking at him, as she’s still a bit annoyed thinking about the stolen kiss. 

“Don’t you want to get out of your pajamas now?” Dylan asked again with his dazzling smile.

“What?!” Yueyue’s head snapped up, and her hands crossed over her chest as a reflex.

Dylan paused—as if reflecting on what he just said—before he laughed out loud.

“I mean, do you want to go freshen up and change out of your pajamas into a fresh one?” Dylan asked, still trying to suppress his laughter.

Yueyue’s mouth formed a shape of ‘O’. She nodded quickly. She really needed some time away from him to calm herself down from this roller coaster of emotions.

“You can stay here and make yourself at home. I’ll go take my fresh clothes to freshen up now,” Yueyue said before she quickly stood up. She was about to make her escape when she felt her right wrist being caught.

“But you’re sick. Do you need help? Let me help you!” Dylan quickly said. Before Yueyue could protest, she felt herself being lifted and carried in a princess style by Dylan. She yelped; her right arm held onto Dylan’s neck as a reflex. Luckily, her right finger was already healed.

“What are you doing? Put me down, Dylan,” Yueyue almost shouted.  

“Shh. I told you I would help you,” Dylan chuckled, as he carried her to her bedroom.

“I have a sprained arm, not a broken leg!” Yueyue protested, but Dylan pretended not to hear her. When he reached the only bedroom in the house, he gently put her down. Yueyue huffed and walked inside to take her clothes, leaving Dylan quietly laughing by himself outside her bedroom door. 

When she got all the clothes she needed, she walked out of the room. She was about to tell Dylan that she could walk by herself to the bathroom when she felt herself being lifted again. Damn it. She would have smacked him if she weren’t holding her clothes. She’s still mad at him for stealing her first kiss for goodness sake!

“What’s wrong with you?” She asked with adorable annoyed expression.

“Nothing’s wrong. In fact, everything is so right,” Dylan showed her his boyish grin. Ever since their kiss, he had already made up his mind. She was his; she ran away once, but he would never let her go again.  

When they reached the bathroom, he gently put her down. She walked into the bathroom with a huff. She was about to the close the door when a hand stopped the door.

“What are you doing?” Yueyue asked, surprised.

Dylan showed his dazzling smile to her, “Are you sure you don’t need help?” His eyes focused on her sprained left arm. Yueyue followed his gaze to her arm before they both looked back at each other.

“I can help you with your clothes you know…if you need help,” Dylan did what she assumed was a wink. She said nothing and showed him a tight-lipped smile. Dylan smiled even wider back at her.

.

“Wait, wait! Calm down! I got it! You don’t need help!” Dylan laughed and stepped back from the bathroom door when he saw Yueyue about to throw her shampoo bottle at him.

When Yueyue slammed the door shut, she could still hear Dylan’s laughter. She sighed and put her shampoo back at its rightful place. She looked at herself in the mirror. Her eyes fell on her lips, and she couldn’t help but recalled their kiss. She then giggled when she remembered their interaction a moment ago. 

‘We look like we’re dating,’ she giggled, but then she stopped herself, ‘Stop imagine stuff, YueYue. Dylan is too high to reach. Don’t set yourself up for a heartbreak.’ She sighed. She really needed a long shower to clear up her mind.

In the living room, Dylan was still laughing at himself, thinking about what happened. Suddenly, his phone rang. His expression changed when he saw the caller ID. He walked to the living room balcony and closed the door behind him. Once the door was closed, he answered the call.

“How is it? What have you found so far?” Dylan asked the person on the line. He then fell silent as the other person spoke.

“Investigate until you’ve got enough evidence, and don’t let anyone know about this. You know what will happen if you fail this task,” Dylan said a smile, but his voice was ice cold. After he ended the call, he turned to look at the sky with a cold gaze and a cold smile.   

--------------------------------------------------------------

In the next few days, Dylan was very sweet to Yueyue. He would always come to keep her company. He would bring her meals and make sure that she rest and take her medication properly. Yueyue had to admit that she loved and hated that at the same time. She enjoyed spending time with him, but she also hated that he made it even harder for her to control her feeling. After taking a break for a week, her sprained arm was almost completely healed. She thought that she could get back to work, so she did.

--------------------------------------------------------------

“Good morning, everyone! I’m back!” Yueyue cheerfully greeted her co-workers. However, the response was disappointing, to say the least. Her co-workers just took a brief look at her and half-heartedly greeted her back, while the three who visited her just looked at her briefly and said nothing.

Yueyue frowned. She thought they already got closer because they visited her when she was absent. However, she decided to drop it. ‘Maybe they’re not in a good mood today,’ she thought.

Yueyue then went to knock on her department director’s door to inform him that she’s back. She knocked once, twice, and thrice, but there was no response.

‘Strange. Where is the director? He’s usually in the office at this time,’ Yueyue scratched her head out of confusion. She just shrugged. She needed to use the restroom anyway, so she thought she would come back to inform him later.

Much to Yueyue’s luck, the restroom on her floor was broken, so she had to use the one on the archive floor instead. As she walked past the archive room, she stopped on her track. There was some noise coming from that room; the door was not closed properly. She frowned. She walked to the door and opened it quietly before peeking her head inside.

‘Oh! There he is!’ She thought to herself with a smile.

“Good morning, director!” Yueyue said loudly with a smile. Her director who was looking for something jumped due to the sudden greeting. He quickly turned back to look at her, and for a split moment, Yueyue could see some fear in his eyes before it was replaced with relief.

“Oh my gosh, Yueyue. You scared me,” the director rubbed his chest to calm himself down, “since when did you arrive?”

Yueyue just scratched her head with guilt, “I’m sorry for scaring you, sir. I greeted you as soon as I arrived.”

“Did you see anything?” the director nervously asked.

Yueyue frowned. Was there anything she should see? “No, sir. I didn’t see anything,” She shook her head. The director heaved a sigh of relief.

“Good. Now that you’re here, I need you to do something for me. This is an important document for our hotel. Recently, someone’s trying to steal this information, so we need to make a backup. I want you to make a copy of this for me. Don’t tell anyone about this, and don’t let anyone see it. This is our top secret. The fate of our hotel is in your hand. Do you understand me?” the director instructed. Yueyue quickly nodded and took the document from him.

“Also, I will leave first. Wait for a few minutes after I leave before you walk out, okay?” he added.

“I understand, sir,” She raised her hand as if saluting him. She waited until he left for a moment before she quietly walked out of the archive room.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! :D I hope everyone’s doing well! Thank you so much for reading and for all the comments and votes. I really appreciate it!

And LOL, the unheard confession is a tribute to MG2018. Don’t hate me please! XD *hide* I swear I’ll try to make up for it next time. Hope you enjoy this update! I’m sorry for any mistakes since I couldn’t really proofread it. Have a nice day! :D